Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E09: Will Smith, Richard Osman, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Chris and Rosie Ramsey, Yola

• Start Topic

The slobbering over Will Smith was a bit much, but to his credit, Will was pretty chill about it.

It cracked me up when Will sort of took over the show and Graham wrestled it back. 

Yola was great. Bummer there was no Big Red Chair.

• Love 3

Will Smith might share too much so I had to laugh with the author and the podcasters started talking about intimate scenes and/or people sharing TMI about their sex lives. 

But overall, I think Will is a funny guy and the show had a great improvisational quality to it with the riffs on hip hop and "but only on Wednesdays."

It wasn't until Graham held up Osman's book and I recognized the typeface that I realized I've read his first book--which I learned about on this show---when he first promoted it.

• Love 1

I want to see Graham invite Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Rebel Wilson, and Jamie Foxx to be on a show together and see who ends up being the one successful at making everything about themselves. Of course Graham had best keep a scuba tank handy with that many people sucking the oxygen out of the room...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I want to see Graham invite Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Rebel Wilson, and Jamie Foxx to be on a show together and see who ends up being the one successful at making everything about themselves.

That would never happen because as much as I know it can irritate people when one guest dominates the conversation, I've noticed that Graham often sets it up that way---or at least that's the way I feel when it comes to Will Smith and Tom Cruise.  Unless they're promoting a movie with all of the stars, the other guests on the couch don't tend to be big stars.  They're more complementary personalities who can throw out a witty remark or ask a question.  And he directs a lot of questions/comments in the direction of those stars.

• Useful 2

I noticed the camera keeps cutting to Will when other people are talking, even though he is quiet and listening intently. Like when Lin-Manuel Miranda was talking, it kept cutting to Will. He was just listening, but it probably felt like he was intruding because of how it was edited. I don't see how that's on him.

Also, when you get a big star, the other guests may genuinely be fans. Like all of them rapping from Hamilton. I thought a lot of Will's questions to the other guests were signs he was interested in what they had to say and he was reacting to them. Mileage obviously varies, but I feel like he's a big personality but also interested in the others. But he's going to attract more eyeballs, so he's going to get more time. Again, he doesn't control that part.

• Love 5

I legitimately didn't realize that Brexit meant that the UK no longer uses the metric system anymore. It felt weird having it be the BRITISH guests asking to convert things into "pounds"...I mean, that's money over there!  (Or is it Euros now? I'm very confused)

Edited by Phishbulb
  • LOL 1

I wasn’t going watch (because, Will Smith).  But I did watch, and either I wasn’t paying too much attention (because, Will Smith), or I tuned his parts out, but it felt like Will Smith wasn’t as much of an attention whore as usual.  I enjoyed the other guests a lot.  Too bad the Big Red Chair segment was cut, but probably ran out of time (because, Will Smith).

• LOL 1

Ok, I get it, Will Smith is not for everyone. I.... love him (ducks flying objects). 

My heart was particularly giddy, as can be imagined, at the Hamilton section. I nerded out hard to that one.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Yola--I hadn't heard of her at all but loved the song enough to actually listen to it and then had to go seek her out. Just wonderful. I very rarely like the musical acts on this show (to the point of skipping them altogether to see if there is a red chair), so she was a nice surprise.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2021 at 7:05 AM, Ailianna said:

I noticed the camera keeps cutting to Will when other people are talking, even though he is quiet and listening intently.

I actually liked that, even though it meant more screen time for him than a lot of people would like.  But face it--he's a huge star compared to anybody else there, so of course he's going to get more camera time.  But everybody on the show benefits when he's shown paying attention to what they're saying, and riffing with them.  (Of course, when he was asking the podcasters about doing their podcast in an arena I think the wheels were turning in regard to a possible new revenue stream, but still.)

I was impressed by his using kilos because although misguided, it showed some effort.  And actually, he doesn't have to be there the entire time in the first place, but does it.  And this time, was just one of the crowd as much as he can be. 

The whole show was a big win for me.  Richard Osman doing his rap and when Will Smith complimented it, telling him to give props to his electrician co-author--that's the sort of thing I watch this show for. 

• Love 5
On 12/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, Phishbulb said:

I legitimately didn't realize that Brexit meant that the UK no longer uses the metric system anymore. It felt weird having it be the BRITISH guests asking to convert things into "pounds"...I mean, that's money over there!  (Or is it Euros now? I'm very confused)

Actually, for people's weight, the Brits use "stones."  1 stone = 14 pounds.  So Will lost 2.3 stone

Loved the Hamilton rap.

• Love 4