Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E07: Ryan

shantown
  • Start Topic

When Ryan severely injured his ankle, doctors prescribed opioids; Ryan, couch-bound for a year, enjoyed the emotionally numbing effect of the drugs; now 26, he is addicted to fentanyl and has nearly lost his life to overdose multiple times.

Airs 11/29/21 (10:01-11:04pm) on A&E

He was so unenthusiastic about going to treatment, I had a feeling it wouldn't last. He seemed pretty self aware once he got in the van, saying he was a jerk, and I LOVED the interventionist agreeing with him. I usually have lukewarm feelings about that woman, but that was hilarious. What motivation does he have to get clean? He's got so many enablers in his life and he can't see anything else for himself. I'm sad to say that I don't think he'll be with us much longer. 

• Love 1

I found Ryan and his parents to be unlikeable.  Neither parent seem to have been physically abusive.  Both were emotionally neglectful his entire life.  Dad ignoring  him for a year during a separation.  Mom not working with the school and letting him run wild. Dad shooting him with foam darts on TV and laughing at him. 

Both were enablers and really didn’t care about him.  They just wanted to shove money at him and let him and his drug buddy take drugs in his room.  His uncle and aunt seemed to care about him more than they did. 

In an early interview segment, Ryan didn’t know his own age for sure.  High I would guess. 

I also do not think he will survive much longer.  

• Love 2

THE MOST UNLIKABLE ADDICT YET. But he’s a product of his environment. Those ridiculous parents created that monster by never establishing boundaries or expectations. As a teacher, I can see a lot of kids unfortunately going down this path because they are never held accountable for their actions and their parents have absolutely zero expectations for their life. Ryan is the product of his own actions and behaviors constantly being blamed on others

• Love 1
On 11/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, mythoughtis said:

I found Ryan and his parents to be unlikeable.  Neither parent seem to have been physically abusive.  Both were emotionally neglectful his entire life.  Dad ignoring  him for a year during a separation.  Mom not working with the school and letting him run wild. Dad shooting him with foam darts on TV and laughing at him. 

Both were enablers and really didn’t care about him.  They just wanted to shove money at him and let him and his drug buddy take drugs in his room.  His uncle and aunt seemed to care about him more than they did. 

In an early interview segment, Ryan didn’t know his own age for sure.  High I would guess. 

I also do not think he will survive much longer.  

Oh I couldn't agree more about his parents. Neglect, co-dependency on the part of the mother, enabling, the father shooting him with foam darts...OMG...it was just awful. This kid basically spent a huge chunk of his life at home with no structure or education. His mother looked totally incapable of being a homeschool teacher. If they had gotten a professional homeschool tutor for him that would have helped...at least he might actually have learned something. Also, not interacting or having any socialization with his peers isolated him and kept him stagnated emotionally. He obviously suffered from depression...self medicating at such a high level only made it worse. 

I was appalled that he left the treatment center so soon after getting there as he seemed open to cleanng himself up but even worse was the fact his parents allowed him back into their home and things just resumed to the way they had been before. All their words about kicking him out if he continued to use and not giving him money and blah, blah, blah was just garbage. I agree that he will probably die from this addiction...I don't see how he could live too much longer in this dire condition.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 1

Very sad episode. 

Mom looked 20 years older than dad. 

The foam dart thing was disturbing. It even snuck into one of my dreams last night. 

Bianca could not be more obvious that she was using Ryan and nothing else. She also illustrated the magic of makeup - compare her face in the initial scene of her in bed with Ryan to subsequent scenes made up. It was like the Grand High Witch without mask vs  mask on.

Interesting to compare the state of Uncle’s house to Ryan’s parents’ house. Kind of symbolic of the state of each family.

Grim grim grim. 

• Love 2

Ryan's thought bubble during the intervention: "For now they won't let me in their houses or give me money. I'll go to detox and get my body  healthy and have food and a roof over my head. I'll leave when I believe the enablers' resolve has disappeared."

• Love 1

There was no way Ryan was ever going to get clean until he saw consequences from his refusal. And he didn't. Mom and Dad let him back in where he continues his pathetic life of dying, reviving and rehighing. He's a waste of time, money and emotion.

I don't know what was more infuriating, Ryan's lackadaisical attitude about his deadly situation, or his parents entering his room every five minutes to passive aggressively do nothing.

The parents needed an intervention as much as Ryan, and I am shocked they were not offered some kind of treatment/education. 

• Love 2