Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Confidence Man

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Bull’s legal troubles go from professional to personal when new evidence in his bribery trial implicates his wife, Izzy. Also, the TAC team’s efforts to assist Bull in court are thwarted by his attorney, who fears they will cross a legal line to help their boss.

That was anti-climatic. Part of the problem is that the show has done such a good job about keeping Izzy off screen I don’t really know what to make of her relationship with Bull. Yes, they had the kid being kidnapped story, but that felt more like an anomaly. Honestly, I know more about Bull’s relationship with Marissa than with Izzy. (Not that I’m saying they’re having a relationship.)

Also, can someone tell Weatherly that there’s more to acting than talking like you’ve been punched in the throat. Seriously, he’s taken the whole “speak breathlessly” a little too much to heart.

I thought the first half of the show was rather interesting.  Maybe it's because I enjoyed watching Bull squirm a bit when he's not at the top of the food chain, so to speak.  I squawked when the prosecution issued a subpoena as a witness for Mrs. Bull, as a wife cannot be compelled to testify against her husband.  I guess the writers backed out of that one by separating her trial from Bull's.  I did get a laugh when they said that Benny could raise the kid.  That cameo could cost the production company dearly.

The conclusion was inescapable, of course.  They would pull a rabbit out of the hat.  The coach, although required to by the plot, shouldn't have said anything at all at the final confrontation, other than, "I wish to speak to my attorney."

So where did the attorney get the $50,000 to deposit in an anonymous offshore account, not to mention setting it up in the first place?

4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

So where did the attorney get the $50,000 to deposit in an anonymous offshore account, not to mention setting it up in the first place?

She stole it from Izzy's account.

11 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

Also, can someone tell Weatherly that there’s more to acting than talking like you’ve been punched in the throat. Seriously, he’s taken the whole “speak breathlessly” a little too much to heart.

There was one thing he did that I liked, when he and Izzy were walking outside.  Right before he said he was scared, he did this very small sideways thing with his mouth that I had never seen him do before.  It didn't look like an "acting" gesture...it looked like an organic expression of that type of fear.

2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

She stole it from Izzy's account.

That makes some sense, but, unless Izzy has $50k in her checking account, some serious financial transactions (stock sales, retirement accounts, etc.) would have to take place to generate that much cash.  Those are not easy to do, so the attorney seems to have some serious skills in bypassing security checkpoints and such to complete the sales.  And then why convert it to the offshore account, when it would be simpler to just deposit it in the coach's account, or at least try to?

I'm going to assume (cough, cough) that the Feds returned Izzy's money and all the electronics taken from TAC.  Right?

Just now, Dowel Jones said:

unless Izzy has $50k in her checking account, some serious financial transactions (stock sales, retirement accounts, etc.) would have to take place to generate that much cash.

Izzy had money from the sale of her business, in an offshore account. The attorney created another offshore account in the name of the lying juror, hacked Izzy's account (through her tablet), and transferred $50K into the new account. That left a paper trail showing $50K transferred from Izzy's account, to  the juror's account. This was supposed to be evidence that the juror had been bribed, and implicate Izzy (and therefore Bull) as the one who did the bribing.

So the appearance of a bribe having been made was manufactured, and the beauty of it was that the evil attorney didn't even have to front up any cash!

8 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I'm going to assume (cough, cough) that the Feds returned Izzy's money and all the electronics taken from TAC.  Right?

It's the Feds. They who should be first against the wall come the revolution! Who knows what they would decide to do with Izzy's cash and devices? (Thank goodness they got no jurisdiction where I live. Although our guys are not necessarily any better...)

I have a completely superficial comment: Marissa wears only dresses. They all must be tailored because they fit her like a glove. She looks great in them but…

No one wears dresses every day. No one. 

I stand corrected. There she is-wearing a skirt and blouse! 

Edited by hookedontv
  • LOL 1

Hoping someone can answer something for me.  I'm really confused about the stunt that Dani and Taylor pulled.  First of all, if whoever did the bribing had been communicating by email, then receiving an email from an unknown email address would make them suspicious.  Second, they made a point of making sure that their email couldn't be traced, but then showed up in person at the rendezvous site, which meant they would be discovered.  Third, why on earth would they think that if the guy shows up, that means he's guilty.  They are not that stupid; there could be any number of reasons why the guy would show up.  And finally, what were they trying to accomplish?  Did they think that if he showed up and they confronted him, that he would then magically come to court and confess? And why on earth didn't they get in any trouble with the law for that stunt?

On 12/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Dowel Jones said:

There's no way that Izzy, being married to Bull and the sister of Benny, would ever have just turned over her electronics without checking with Bull first.

Maybe I missed something but here's the issue I had with Izzy's electonics.  The warrant was for HER electronics.  She told them she didn't have them and that they were at TAC.  All of a sudden they show up at TAC and they're taking Taylor's laptop too?  Pretty sure they would have needed a new warrant for that which I'm pretty sure they didn't get.

I'm also surprised (well, not surprised because they needed the drama) that nobody at TAC uncovered anything about the juror's son (and transplant) until the last minute.  Someone at TAC didn't do a very good job on that.

As for the quality of the writing, I'm not a legal expert, but if the writers are trying to make me hope that their lead character is not sent to prison, they are failing at that too.  I liked Olivia; she didn't trust Bull.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, hookedontv said:

I have a completely superficial comment: Marissa wears only dresses. They all must be tailored because they fit her like a glove. She looks great in them but…

No one wears dresses every day. No one. 

I stand corrected. There she is-wearing a skirt and blouse! 

Think her dresses are too tight.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Think her dresses are too tight.

I couldn't wear them that tight, that's for sure. I wouldn't be comfortable, there's absolutely no wiggle room.  They are too tight and would look better a size or two bigger. 

• Love 2
On 12/3/2021 at 8:44 PM, hookedontv said:

Not only does she usually wear dresses, but they always have large zippers in the back.

• Useful 1