Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Stay

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

It really isn't even that his agent sided with big money.  It's that his agent showed respect for a binding contract.  For the principles required to be successful in his chosen profession.  If the agent sided with Rome, what would be the message for the rest of his clients?...  That it is ok for anyone to simply ignore the parts of a contract that they don't like?  That keeping the money while violating a contract is the right thing to do?  It didn't matter who was the big guy or the little guy here.  ... There is nothing about what Rome did that is admirable or honorable or right.  It was really pretty unethical and underhanded.  Sort of like how the show wants us to think Gary is some sort of hero for participating in vigilante justice.

Of course you are absolutely right!  The agent would have to show that they honor contracts or no one would do business with them.  All things being equal, they would want to be in the good graces of the big money, but the contract is the thing.

The show has serious ethical problems with seeming to favor Rome not honoring his contract and with apparently accepting Gary's violent criminal act.

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The writers are still so resistant to these people getting legal advice.  Rome said he was going to get some after he realized he was in legal jeopardy, but instead he calls his agent, then he calls the PR person.  Once the lawsuit was filed, the matter would be with the Production company’s legal team… either in-house counsel or retained outside attorneys.  They can’t negotiate with a non-lawyer on behalf of another.  So, that’s just a bogus scenario that the PR person negotiated Rome a deal.  And, didn’t Gary say he was going to get a legal consult, but never went? Instead, he went to see Maggie and Sophie to confess his crimes.    

They wouldn't want legal advice to interfere with the characters just doing whatever they feel like with no consequences.

Edited by Suzn
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Of course you are absolutely right!  The agent would have to show that they honor contracts or no one would do business with them.  All things being equal, they would want to be in the good graces of the big money, but the contract is the thing.

The show has serious ethical problems with seeming to favor Rome not honoring his contract and with apparently accepting Gary's violent criminal act.

They wouldn't want legal advice to interfere with the characters just doing whatever they feel like with no consequences.

I suppose, but the thing about consulting with an attorney, is that they could review the contract and see if there were any legal ways to defend Rome’s conduct?  Maybe, there was a loophole Rome didn’t know about.  Anyway, for whatever reason they all seem to go out of their way to avoid getting a professional opinion.  So far, it hasn’t seemed to hurt them.   So, what money has Rome been living on?  I thought he was desperate to get that film money.  Now, it’s just sitting around, ready to be returned?  I hope Regina made a nice income working as a caterer in Florida.  Lol. It sounds ridiculous.  

• Love 5

Well don't forget that Gary did not return Colin to the lady who owned him; he got her a replacement dog. And Maggie went along with it. 

The show demonstrated its belief in situational ethics a long time ago.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 11/20/2021 at 5:18 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. Rome storyline.  So, do the writers actually believe the crap they wrote about him and the film or do they just want to portray him as an idiot?  

The same goes for Regina.  Do they really think that preparing and serving food in a hot trailer in Florida is a step up in her career or do they want us to believe that her character is that dense?  

Maggie’s comment to her boyfriend about don’t worry about her and Gary…..it’s not credible,imo

This is the second time that Maggie has introduced Gary to a boyfriend. Since she made sure to tell both guys that Gary proposed, my guess is that a future storyline will be that she's not over Gary 

I also don't buy that hockey boyfriend has no problem with Gary staying at the house with Maggie.  I'm sorry, but in what universe is a guy going to stick around to have the friendship with the ex  shoved in their face repeatedly?   Maybe Maggie is just so cute and sexy that men will put up with any crap just to be with her.  I'm already rolling my eyes at her bagging a pro athlete.

I really like Mario Van Peebles and was happy to see him as Regina's dad.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

This is the second time that Maggie has introduced Gary to a boyfriend. Since she made sure to tell both guys that Gary proposed, my guess is that a future storyline will be that she's not over Gary 

I also don't buy that hockey boyfriend has no problem with Gary staying at the house with Maggie.  I'm sorry, but in what universe is a guy going to stick around to have the friendship with the ex  shoved in their face repeatedly?   Maybe Maggie is just so cute and sexy that men will put up with any crap just to be with her.  I'm already rolling my eyes at her bagging a pro athlete.

There's the problem.  The writers seem to think Maggie is irresistible.   She's sooooo adorable that she can do no wrong and everyone falls at her feet.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Suzn said:

There's the problem.  The writers seem to think Maggie is irresistible.   She's sooooo adorable that she can do no wrong and everyone falls at her feet.

Well, someone had to take over for Delilah.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I do find her adorable, and definitely in Ryan  Hansen's character's league. But irresistible, she is not. 

• Love 1

I have to give the writers credit - I don’t think Maggie is either Manic Pixie Dream Girl or the Cool Girl from ‘Gone Girl,’ in terms of stereotypes of being irresistible.  But she’s definitely irresistible to the writers, who want her to be irresistible to us.  Actually, the closest comparison I can come up with is “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?” from “Sound of Music.”

The most nuanced, complex thing both the character and the writers have ever done is let her go through with an abortion without endless second-guessing or hand-wringing from guilt.

There is approximately zero way Rome and Gina have the money to buy his movie out from Paragon Plus.

• Love 1