Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Prologue

After a missing FBI agent turns up dead, Pierce is forced to face the one case he was never able to solve. When they discover that the killer is still out there, Pierce agrees to help Moretti, against the wishes of his therapist, Dr. Rosenthal, who believes it will only exacerbate Pierce’s condition.

Loved, loved, loved this episode. We learned so much back story. This show has been hit or miss for me at best, mostly miss, but this episode was just great.

I called the psychiatrist as the killer from practically the beginning. Don't know why, he just came across as uber creepy.

• Love 3

This was, by far, one of the best episodes all season. Not to say there haven't been some good ones. I enjoyed it and was glad to fill in some of the back story. I called the Doc so early I nearly convinced myself it was a red herring, lol. EMc is just so good in this.

Season 3, episodes 7 & 8, and we are just now meeting his psychiatrist?

Thank you, I was racking my brain to try and remember if we had seen him before last week? He took on quite a huge role for a character that we just met (has it been mentionned before that Pierce was seeing a psychatrist on a regular basis?). Last week he forces him to send Natalie away and now he his the serial killer who caused one of the major (if not the major) trauma in the lead character's history?

I really enjoy this show, I think McCormack is perfect in this role (and I really like also his interaction with Lewicki and Paul) but this was a bit farfetched (really enjoyed Lewicki's part in the backstory though).

Loved young Lewicki the orderly asking for the autograph and promising organic fruit to Dr. Pierce.  If only he know what he was getting himself into!

I also very much enjoyed the psychiatrist being guilty.  I know that their was a set up before Daniel went into his session, but I love that the guy even stabbed himself to sell it.

I didn't care for the hint of longing in Daniel's eyes when Kate was getting transferred.  I love this show as it is and DO NOT WANT a Kate - Daniel relationship.  Ick.  I also didn't like the Donny cheating potential.  That's going to make their separation easier.  I think they can break up without making either one of them the bad guys.

I disagree that it came out of nowhere. His cheating ended their 1st marriage. He has been working hard to win Kate back, now he's got her....next challenge? Keeping her when he's caught cheating again or getting away with it. IMO

• Love 2

The title of the episode is Prologue. Is it possible this whole episode is supposed to take place before the series started? Like maybe we haven't seen the psychiatrist before because he was locked up for his crimes? And maybe this was a glimpse of Donnie's past cheating??? 'Cause that would actually make more sense.

• Love 2

The title of the episode is Prologue. Is it possible this whole episode is supposed to take place before the series started? Like maybe we haven't seen the psychiatrist before because he was locked up for his crimes? And maybe this was a glimpse of Donnie's past cheating??? 'Cause that would actually make more sense.

I hadn't considered that before, but it makes a lot of sense. Although I do think it's odd that they didn't make it more clear that it was a jump back in time, if that is what it was.

That would make sense but I think we see Daniel referencing to his previous session with his psychiatrist, when the psychatrist advised him to let Natalie go, which happened in last episode, so I don't feel that the timeline would work.

That would make sense but I think we see Daniel referencing to his previous session with his psychiatrist, when the psychatrist advised him to let Natalie go, which happened in last episode, so I don't feel that the timeline would work.

Yes, the psychiatrist did make his first appearance in the previous episode.

I can't recall: What happened between Donnie and Kate in that one? Was that the one where they discussed babies? Was it definitely post-cheating? If so, that would kill my theory.

Also, the appearances of the psychiatrist in that episode would have to have been such that they could have occurred only in Daniel's mind.

Probably not, huh?

Sometimes this show is excellent, but sometimes I can come here, grab the one tiny nugget I need for future episodes and save myself the hour.

Sounds like this one was rich and meaty--queue 'er up!

I didn't mean that Donny's cheating came out of nowhere.  That theme has been sort of running throughout most of the show.    It was just the way it was done, with some random chick finding Donny so irresistible that she has to run up to him and give him her phone number.  To make that believable they would have had spend a little more screen time on it to set it up.

Interesting if it was supposed to be a prequel, but there was no real indication of that.    

Donny seemed to recognized her so I don't think she 'came out of nowhere'.  I think she "reappeared" from his past.  Another reference to the prequel title.  Daniel's lecture at the end also had to do with that definition of insanity and how humans do tend to make the same mistakes (choices) again and again.  I fully expect to see Donny fall off the fidelity wagon before the wedding.  He won't get a third chance with...ack! I just blanked on her name....what's her face.

• Love 1

I don't think Donnie was in the last episode at all (including any references). Other than the flashbacks, I think this episode was all in present time. Two episodes in a row with Daniel trapping someone for the FBI (that maybe could have been spread out and not two back-to-back episodes). I think this lady is going to start a new arc, not necessarily cheating because that's a little too obvious, but bumpy times ahead! Is this a new thing with Daniel firing Lewicki in every episode? Or like being wired, it just stuck out to me in these two episodes? Yes, doctor had "THE KILLER" written all over him--sometimes (most tines) this show is not subtle. And more baby references to make Kate squirm!

I don't think Donnie was in the last episode at all (including any references).

He was at the end, giving the press conference, about the FBI making the arrest and the mysterious woman in the crowd caught his eye and then passed him a note when it was over.  During the voiceover about making the same mistakes (choices? however he phrased it..I've deleted it already), we see Donnie reading the note.

I was happy to see Kim Darby in this episode playing the woman with the vision problem.  It's been quite awhile since I've seen her on television and I just assumed she had retired.  If you all respond with Kim Who? then I will know for certain I am the oldest one here. (Hint: Kim Darby was in the original True Grit starring John Wayne, not the one with Jeff Bridges.)

• Love 1

I was happy to see Kim Darby in this episode playing the woman with the vision problem.  It's been quite awhile since I've seen her on television and I just assumed she had retired.  If you all respond with Kim Who? then I will know for certain I am the oldest one here. (Hint: Kim Darby was in the original True Grit starring John Wayne, not the one with Jeff Bridges.)

Coincidentally, I saw her on an old rerun this week during my lunch break and had a Hey-It's-That-Guy/Gal! moment and had to look her up. She usually does play odd characters, right?

I don't think Donnie was in the last episode at all (including any references).

He was at the end, giving the press conference, about the FBI making the arrest and the mysterious woman in the crowd caught his eye and then passed him a note when it was over. During the voiceover about making the same mistakes (choices? however he phrased it..I've deleted it already), we see Donnie reading the note.
I was referring to the episode before--Bolero? Edited by indeed

Donnie is so going to give the blond a call.  Any blissfully happy, about to remarry guy would have handed it back to her or tossed it....

Or it could be a sort of red herring. Like maybe he calls her to tell her it was a mistake the first time and he's not going to repeat it. Or maybe he tears up the card...and then gets struck by lightning. Heh. Now I'm imagining Daniel giving a lecture that uses the odds of getting struck by lightning as an example for some neurological fact.
  • Love 1

The card didn't say what she did... so maybe she's a lawyer or PR person who wants him to join the team.  Or since he handled the public announcements so well, she wants to put him forward for office. I'm not going to jump onto the cheating Donny train just yet.

Edited by kb3

Kim Darby looked way, way too young to be 70. I think they expected her neck to sell us on the idea that she was over 60, but it didn't. I didn't even think she looked 50.

Also, nobody should ever break up with Natalie. She's too perfect and it was a terrible wrench seeing her go. I don't care if she's not real. In fact I think she's better than the real thing, and I expected that to be what was getting set up in the earlier episode with the dolls, talking about substitutes.