Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Tourist

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

The team is tasked with finding a kidnapped social media star. 

The last time the promo was a beloved cowboy, who turned out to be a Marine who once served on a horse mounted honor guard. Are the now ashamed of the "N" in NCIS?

Okay epi.  Minimal family drama.

Nice to see Jackson from The Rookie and Nadine from Grace Under Fire.

So how long are they going to do the Lucy/Whistler dance thing?

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1

So this was my first episode and while it wasn't terrible, I do have a quibble that might prevent me from being a viewer.

The head of the team garbles so much of her dialogue....I wish I had a better way to describe what I think I am hearing.

She speaks VERY quickly and in almost a monotone sometimes.  Literally, at one point I actually thought her voice was being dubbed...yeah I know...just weird and no I wasn't drinking:)

Also weirdly I did not have the same reaction to any of the other characters.

It was disturbing enough that I may check in again, but could be out if it happens again.

I enjoyed that. I liked the spook aunt, at first I was wondering about the coincidence of a former CIA operative appearing on Tennant's radar just when she stumbled upon a case with CIA involvement. Turns out the old Gibbs adage still holds - there are no coincidences. Well played show, well played. We also got more background on Tennant. Her CIA past is certainly intriguing I just hope the show does not go there too often, that could get old pretty fast.

By now it's clear that Whistler's Jurassic Park stomping is not just the Foley guys having fun, and I love it. I love it more than the character who's still not that interesting. Her 'woe is me' shtick is getting old really fast, at least she did something useful this episode. I still see no chemistry between her and Lucy. Speaking of Lucy: again no stunt people in front of the camera during her and Kai's fight scenes. Impressive.

• Love 2

Six episodes in...I can't pay attention to any of the episodes, and I only know the names of two characters - Kai and Tennant (and no, I don't know Kai's last name or Tennant's first). I do at least recognize the main characters by sight.

Not sure I will stick with this much longer. It's just not holding my attention.

• Love 1

So Special Agent Tara does not like the water or boats. I'm with Agent Holman how did she end up working for the US Navy on an island on what was played up to be a premiere posting. Unless they are flipping the NCIS script and instead of agents from other agencies transferring in she is an agent who couldn't get hired by the CIA, FBI, Secret Service, ATF or even the US Postal Inspectors.

Yeah, the whole I have a fear of water and boats freak me out thing was super strange.  Don't NCIS agents have to do a rotation as Agent Afloat?  And if that's not mandatory, you can't be an NCIS field agent and never have to go on the water.  I would think the ability to swim would be a job requirement.  How can you properly conduct an investigation when setting foot on a dock makes you queasy.    This show is a mess.  

Minus the return of Whistler (man, I was hoping she was gone!), I liked this episode. Nice to see a competent older woman mentor for Tennant. I hope Aunt Maggie comes back!! And I hope the couple get a happy ending. Felt bad her handler ended up dead though! 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode.  I thought it worked on all levels.  I liked the plot of the wife being an undercover CIA operative and the team trying to save both her and the husband.  This was the first episode that presented Whistler as someone who actually added value, as opposed to being the stereotypical government thorn.

13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I enjoyed that. I liked the spook aunt, at first I was wondering about the coincidence of a former CIA operative appearing on Tennant's radar just when she stumbled upon a case with CIA involvement. Turns out the old Gibbs adage still holds - there are no coincidences. Well played show, well played. We also got more background on Tennant. Her CIA past is certainly intriguing I just hope the show does not go there too often, that could get old pretty fast.

By now it's clear that Whistler's Jurassic Park stomping is not just the Foley guys having fun, and I love it. I love it more than the character who's still not that interesting. Her 'woe is me' shtick is getting old really fast, at least she did something useful this episode. I still see no chemistry between her and Lucy. Speaking of Lucy: again no stunt people in front of the camera during her and Kai's fight scenes. Impressive.

Agreed that it was nice to get some backstory on Tennant.  Had we previously been told she was in the CIA?  I must have missed that.  It was good to get a picture of her as some kind of superspy stationed somewhere in the middle east and getting drunk on Lebanese liquor (which apparently smells awful) with an older lady.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that Maggie is actually Jane's aunt.  It was mentioned she was Jane's former CIA boss.  I think the kids call her "Aunt Maggie" out of respect, like how in certain Asian cultures, the kids call the friends of their parents "Uncle" or "Auntie".  Especially in Hawaii, with the concept of ohana and where everyone has lots of calabash cousins.

• Love 3

I'm binging my way through a bunch of episodes that I taped when I learned this show existed.  I used to love the original NCIS.  I love Hawaii.  So I hoped I would enjoy this.

Meh.  I think I might be done.  I know watching TV requires a willful suspension of disbelief but this show makes me scoff so hard I think I sprained something.  Of course part of the problem is that I've become addicted to shows like "Shetland" where the case being investigated is spread over multiple episodes in a short season and where the whole situation (e.g., setting, number of characters) is more intimate.  That doesn't work in these crime-of-the-week shows, which are designed so that viewers can drop in and out from week to week (or view re-runs out of order) and still follow the story. This episode, with its splashes of international espionage and a cast of DOZENS of federal agents -- (the whole bus-load of tourists following the lady with the flag on the beach were all CIA, right?) -- pushes so hard at the bounds of credibility that my eyes glaze over.

Sigh.  I remember how much I LOVED the original NCIS when it first aired.  I loved every single recurring character.  They captured lightning in a bottle.  We may never see its ilk again.