Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Welcome to Essex

• Start Topic

That Max guy looked like a chia pet. Change your Netflix password, Kimberly!

In spite of everyone saying that Leighton was “the worst,” I thought she was kind of awesome. Although I’m confused as to why she was secretly cougar shopping.

• Love 4

I’m really enjoying this show so far. Max was so awful. Kimberly, even in your small town I’m sure you could have done better. He was so not worth giving your V card to him. The actress who plays Kimberly is Timothèe Chalamet’s real life sister. 
I like that the show is dealing with some real life issues, but in a humorous way. The girls are already learning from their mistakes. 

• Love 1

That was a good pilot episode.  At first I was a bit concerned that they were trying to introduce too many characters too fast but it came together nicely overall.

The only thing that took me out of the show a little bit was that I'm from the general area where the show was filmed (which was mostly at Vassar College).  It was surreal seeing such familiar streets, buildings, etc set up as a different college.  BTW that donut shop is totally fake but I think almost all of the other businesses they showed on that street were real.

ETA: forgot to add... Bela has to be a complete proxy for Mindy Kaling.  She has so many things in common with Mindy Kaling that it has to be intentional, right?  Also, was that Ben Affleck mention at the beginning an Easter egg reference to that off-Broadway show about Matt Damon & Ben Affleck that Mindy did with her friend (where Mindy played Ben)?

Edited by zenithwit
  • Love 4

I originally saw the trailer and thought it looked interesting but figured it could either be good or terrible.  It was great.  I laughed so much.  Even the parents were good, all of them in different ways.

I like how all the girls seem decent and flawed and each have a different personality that doesn't feel too well trodden.  Probably Kimberly and Leighton comes the closest to tv tropes, but even those get nicely subverted.  Leighton because she isn't just a run off the mill rich girl queen bee.  She isn't a mean girl even if she is entitled.  I like that her dad straight out called her BFFs assholes, loud enough for them to hear.  And Kimberly because the show leans into her 'small town white girl' thing and plays with it and makes fun of it a bit.

I have to wonder about Nico, Leighton's brother though.  The actor who plays Nico is obviously of AAPI heritage and Leighton doesn't appear to be so at all, she looks straight up blonde white girl.  So either the mother is AAPI and he got ALL her genes and Leighton got none, they have different mothers or one of them is adopted.

I wonder where Whitney met the coach?  She is from Seattle and this is Vermont, but it was clear they had a relationship that pre-dates her enrollment.  Did they bone while he was recruiting her?  I do like that she wants to fight her own battles and I am interested in Willow the Lesbian player.

I also love that the show as a lot of different diversity rep.  I feel like it is effortless and shouldn't have to be something that needs to be shouted out (still!) but I like to anyway.

8 hours ago, zenithwit said:

Bela has to be a complete proxy for Mindy Kaling.  She has so many things in common with Mindy Kaling that it has to be intentional, right? 

First thing I thought.  I felt like... yup she is a Mindy avatar.  LOL.

12 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

The actress who plays Kimberly is Timothèe Chalamet’s real life sister. 

Thank you!  I like that it feels like they are all complete unknowns so that makes the show feel fresh, but she was giving me total... "where have I seen her before vibes" and it is totally because she looks like him. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I have to wonder about Nico, Leighton's brother though.  The actor who plays Nico is obviously of AAPI heritage and Leighton doesn't appear to be so at all, she looks straight up blonde white girl.  So either the mother is AAPI and he got ALL her genes and Leighton got none, they have different mothers or one of them is adopted.

According to wikipedia, the actor is "mostly of Irish descent, and also has English, Spanish, Welsh, other European and Native American." I thought he seemed like he wasn't white as well and that maybe they had a different parent or adoption was involved but now I'm thinking probably not.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

According to wikipedia, the actor is "mostly of Irish descent, and also has English, Spanish, Welsh, other European and Native American." I thought he seemed like he wasn't white as well and that maybe they had a different parent or adoption was involved but now I'm thinking probably not.

Whoa.  Interesting.  I would have sworn there was some AAPI there but you are correct.  So much for phenoptype markers LOL. 

• Love 2
On 11/19/2021 at 7:16 AM, peachmangosteen said:

He gave me Darren Barnett vibes (who is part Japanese), and then I realized he's from another Mindy produced show (Never Have I Ever). 

I found this show to be completely cliché & unoriginal, but damn if I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. The girls are all just so likeable so far. 

• Love 2
On 11/19/2021 at 9:09 AM, DearEvette said:

The actress who plays Kimberly is Timothèe Chalamet’s real life sister. 

No way! He got all of the bone structure, lol. I would have never guessed that, I don't think they look alike - she's so plain and he's rather striking, especially for a guy (the bone structure). 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:09 AM, DearEvette said:

I wonder where Whitney met the coach?  She is from Seattle and this is Vermont, but it was clear they had a relationship that pre-dates her enrollment.  Did they bone while he was recruiting her?

I was confused about this too.  I would think they probably practiced for weeks before classes start but then it made no sense that her mom was dropping her off.

On 11/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I actually thought he was Darren Barnett when I saw the trailer lol.

I see that resemblance.  I thought I detected a British or Australian accent which didn't make sense to me but then I read the actor is from Hawaii so I'm not sure what I was picking up on.

• Love 1
On 11/27/2021 at 1:07 AM, Irlandesa said:
On 11/19/2021 at 10:09 AM, DearEvette said:

I wonder where Whitney met the coach?  She is from Seattle and this is Vermont, but it was clear they had a relationship that pre-dates her enrollment.  Did they bone while he was recruiting her?

I was confused about this too.  I would think they probably practiced for weeks before classes start but then it made no sense that her mom was dropping her off.

Just started watching this show and this is what put me off, that she would ALREADY be having an affair with her coach in the first week of school??? I didn't get it. Maybe she went to a lot of recruitment camps??