Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: All Those Brothers and Sisters

• Start Topic

"I'm having trouble hearing my ancestors so I'm gonna hit the road and allow my spirit to guide me." I can't stand the way Nova talks. Actually very few people on this show talk the way people actually talk.

7 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Jesus, did Charley and Davis really have an apartment full of sterile-looking Duke signs like that in college? Hilarious.

That apartment was pretty nice for struggling college students.

Charley was right to turn Davis down, and it's good that he heard her.

"I looked up that school. Ralph Angel, it's one of the best schools in the country." THAT'S WHAT EVERYBODY TRIED TO TELL YOU, VI. But it was nice that she and RA made up.

1 minute ago, Rebky said:

I'm having trouble remembering what Vi's condition is. She said she was having a flare up which is why she fainted?

She has lupus.

RA is such a child. Darla is being really, really patient and RA is being petulant over a situation that he caused. "I promised I'd take care of you" - well, how did that work out the last time?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm having trouble hearing my ancestors so I'm gonna hit the road and allow my spirit to guide me." I can't stand the way Nova talks. Actually very few people on this show talk the way people actually talk.

Actually, I think "Nova" would talk like that.  Obnoxious and ostentatious. Her spiritual journey sure changed fast into a road trip with Hot Neighbor.   Not sure how she could hear her ancestors over their flirty conversations. 

Did they just leave that pot of gumbo on the table and take off?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

"I'm having trouble hearing my ancestors so I'm gonna hit the road and allow my spirit to guide me." I can't stand the way Nova talks. Actually very few people on this show talk the way people actually talk.

I simultaneously laughed and rolled my eyes when she said that. I had the same thought. No one talks like that! Then again, Nova is the hotep version of a manic pixie dream girl.

I wonder if Rutina Wesley internally cringes when she has to deliver her dialogue. Everything Nova says sounds like spoken word.

I'm not sure how to read the Micah and Isaiah scene. Is Micah grappling with his feelings or was he embarrassed because old guy farmer was clearly uncomfortable with how close Micah and Isaiah were in his pictures?

While the settlement was low, and to tell you the truth, I don't even remember this lawsuit last season, I was concerned when RA, old guy farmer, and Micah were talking about "we don't have to take it." Um, what? I know y'all not turning down 40K?!

• Love 5
18 hours ago, MBayGal said:

. Her spiritual journey sure changed fast into a road trip with Hot Neighbor.   Not sure how she could hear her ancestors over their flirty conversations. 

"My ancestors are telling me to go on an important journey of self discovery and healing...and also to tap that." Nova is just so exhausting, all she does is perform, she can never just talk like a normal person. No one talks like she does, its like she cant even say hello to her cute neighbor without sounding like she's performing spoken word poetry on her front porch. Everyone on this show tends to sound way more flowery in speech in the way that real people don't and go heavy on the impromptu speechifying, but Nova is the absolute worst.

RA did get a bit more into my good graces by standing up for Micah and Isiah (along with Hollywood, always the most solid guy in the room) and apologizing to Vi, but I am still really annoyed with him and how everyone has already forgiven him for his stupid selfish actions. Yeah he clearly has a lot going against him, the regular struggles of being a black father, a farmer, and the Landrys causing trouble on top of that, but his biggest struggle is his inability to make good life choices. Everyone on this show is so forgiving, its nice and all but a bit more anger is warranted I would say or RA is just going to keep doing the same stupid things over and over knowing he's going to be forgiven and his messes cleaned up by his family. 

That set up was so extra, did Davis and Charley really have all of that Duke stuff just sitting around their apartment all of the time? It was also a pretty nice place for poor college kids who couldn't afford tables. I am glad that Charley said no to Davis, not only because I don't like the idea of them getting back together, but because she already has so much going on. 

I am surprised that Vi actually admitted she was wrong about sending Blue to the school, that's a big deal for her. Of course she had to look it up herself and couldn't just believe Darla and RA, but its still a really good step.

• Love 5

Was the farmers' settlement $40k each or to be divided among them? Both options are bad but one is quite a bit more awful than the other, given the magnitude of the problem and how long it had been going on.

Aunt Vi was acting sickly again. Uh oh. Is it contract renegotiation time? 😏

Of course Dominic can drop everything and go with you, Nova. He's working undercover for somebody to keep an eye on you--or so certain spumors say. I'm almost ready to buy in on them. He still seems too good to be true to me.

Whew, I'm not sure I'd ever be strong enough to tour a plantation. They just seem like monuments to evil to me, though I understand the desire to honor the memories of the ancestors who suffered and died because of them.

Yep, the only person with something to prove publicly was Micah. I'm glad Isaiah called him out on it, though I do think he's been lowkey moving on Micah and waiting for an all clear signal.

Well Davis certainly came correct with that engagement ring. But wow, what bad timing. I won't be surprised if he cheats on her now, assuming he hasn't already.

RA says he's going to get a job and do honest work. Big whoop. That's what he's supposed to do! It shouldn't be some kind of special achievement for him to take care of his family.

Still, there's probably going to be some kind of miracle to save the farm. Because RA stays getting rewarded for bad behavior.

• Love 3

The settlement was $40K per farmer.  Not enough to recoup losses, but it's certainly better than nothing. 

I don't think Isaiah started out hitting on Micah at all.  He has been very respectful and helpful toward Micah, helping him navigate and work on healing from his trauma.  He did develop feelings for Micah as Micah has for him.  The issue is whether Micah would be interested in a sexual relationship with a man.  He may or may not be at this point.  Either way, it is a good topic for the show to explore, especially with the clapback over any physical signs of affection between men.  

I toured a plantation house; that is, one nowhere near as fancy as the one shown.  No lands, empty rooms, city had grown up around it, etc.  I did it to get a sense of life at the time and to see how it was being portrayed.  There was a moment when the tour guide said, "We can't judge those times."  The other folks on the tour either stayed blank or nodded in agreement.  I gave it a beat, then said, "yes, I believe we can.  There are universal wrongs. Regardless of the time period, slavery was wrong." A few people lowkey thanked me for saying something.  The tour guide avoided me for the rest of the tour.  

I am starting to think there is a rule on this show that people need to constantly tell Nova has exceptional she is.  Dominic is gushing over her.  Little girls come up to tell her she's beautiful (She is beautiful; however, it reminds me of when Laura Dern is in something.  There are always characters going on about how attractive she is.  It's enough.). It feels like the show is going to keep having folks tell us Nova is great hoping we'll forget she was the catalyst for so many bad things that happened. They forget the memory resiliency of internet posters. 

Anyone know which college Davis and Charlie went to?  I just couldn't figure it out from the decor.  😁  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2