Type keyword(s) to search

Cowboy Bebop & Baby Hipsters in the Media

• Start Topic

Cowboy Bebop' Cast and Character Guide: Who Plays Who In Netflix's Space Western Anime Adaptation

Article that give the name, picture and description of the major characters in the live action Cowboy Bebop series from Netflix.

Includes:

Spike Spiegel (John Cho)

Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir)

Faye Valentine (Daniella Pineda)

Julia (Elena Satine)

Vicious (Alex Hassell)

There is still no confirmation whether Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV will make an appearance this season.

• Useful 2

‘Cowboy Bebop’: Netflix Acquires Rights To Stream All 26 Episodes Of Anime Series

Starting October 21, all 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop will be available on Netflix. 

The original voice actors for the animated series return to Cowboy Bebop to provide a Japanese language dub for the live-action series, which premieres on Netflix on November 19.

English language actors include John Cho stars as Spike, Mustafa Shakir is Jet Black, Daniella Pineda is Faye Valentine, Alex Hassell as Vicious, and Elena Satine as Julia.

Cowboy-Bebop-Cast.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=94

Japanese language actors involved in the Japanese dub include:  Koichi Yamadera as Spike, Taiten Kusunoki as Jet, Megumi Hayashibara as Faye, Norio Wakamoto as Vicious, Gara Takashima as Julia, Tsutomu Taruki and Miki Nagasawa as Punch and Judy, Takaya Hashi as the Teddy Bomber, Kenyu Horiuchi as Gren, Masako Isobe as Mao, and Romi Park and Hikaru Midorikawa as Shin and Lin. 

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

From the brief glimpse in the trailer, looks like they will be using Pierrot Le Fou. Because we all need a deranged version of the Electrical Parade. It doesn't add to the overall story but I hope at some point they work in Toys in the Attic. "Don't leave things in the fridge."

Spike, Jet and Faye are Bounty Hunters also known as "Cowboys" traveling the Galaxy in their spaceship the "Bebop" in search of Wanted Criminals. This is how they earn their Wulongs.

Cowboy-Bebop-Wanted-Poster-Jan-Uddin-as-

Cowboy-Bebop-Wanted-Poster-Cali-Nelle-as

Cowboy-Bebop-Wanted-Poster-Adrienne-Barb

Cowboy-Bebop-Wanted-Poster-Josh-Randall-

Cowboy-Bebop-Wanted-Poster-Rodney-Cook-a

Get a taste of the original Japanese Voice Actors in this Japanese Dubbed Trailer for the Live Action Series.

• Love 1

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Team Says They “Kept the Integrity” of Original Anime Series, Have Plans for a Season Two

Netflix premiere party for the live-action adaptation of the Cowboy Bebop series Thursday evening, as the cast and creators gathered at Hollywood’s Goya Studios.

Cowboy-Bebop-Premiere-Netflix-GettyImage

Netflix VP Peter Friedlander, Marty Adelstein, Becky Clements, Alex Hassell, Mustafa Shakir, Elena Satine, Daniella Pineda, Yoko Kanno, John Cho, André Nemec, Jeff Pinkner and Ted Sarandos.

Cowboy-Bebop-Premiere-Netflix-1-GettyIma

Alex Hassell, Daniella Pineda, Mustafa Shakir and John Cho

Cowboy-Bebop-Premiere-Netflix-2-GettyIma

Steve Aoki, Ted Sarandos and John Cho

Cowboy-Bebop-Premiere-Netflix-3-GettyIma

Daisy O’Dell and Steve Aoki

Steve Aoki collaborated with the show’s composer Yoko Kanno for a remix of Bebop’s opening theme song “Tank”.

• Useful 1

Ughhhhh that has me worried but IMO I was expecting mixed reviews from the start. The good thing about this adaptation is that it's not meant to replace the original in any way; even if it bombs the original is still there and just as fantastic as ever.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Ughhhhh that has me worried but IMO I was expecting mixed reviews from the start. The good thing about this adaptation is that it's not meant to replace the original in any way; even if it bombs the original is still there and just as fantastic as ever.

They are mostly complaining that the show isn't colorful enough compared to the anime.

• Love 1

I care more abut how well the characters and episodes work together to make a fun show than I care about how "faithful" it is or isn't to the original. Nothing this series can do "damages" the original anime (which I have been rewatching) in any way.

• Love 1

Only a few reviews have mentioned how the live action builds a viable universe. As someone who only watched Bebop because of Firefly, that is really important to me. With fewer episodes, that seems like a bigger job. We'll see shortly, I guess. 🙂

Eta:

Vanity Fair actually addresses the world building. The reviewer also compares it favorably to Farscape and Killjoys, so now I'm a bit more excited.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/11/11/cowboy-bebop-netflix-john-cho-review 

Here are the episode titles:

Session 1: "Cowboy Gospel"

Session 2: "Venus Pop"

Session 3: "Dog Star Swing"

Session 4: "Callisto Soul"

Session 5: "Darkside Tango"

Session 6: "Binary Two-Step"

Session 7: "Galileo Hustle"

Session 8: "Sad Clown A-Go-Go"

Session 9: "Blue Crow Waltz"

Session 10: "Supernova Symphony"

• Useful 1

Oooooo I do like those titles. Shall we speculate on rough plot pairings?

Session 2 -- waltz for Venus?

Session 3 -- Stray Dog Strut

Session 6 -- Jupiter Jazz? (Gren is non-binary in this I believe)

Session 8 -- clearly Pierrot Le Fou

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

Oooooo I do like those titles. Shall we speculate on rough plot pairings?

Session 2 -- waltz for Venus?

Session 3 -- Stray Dog Strut

Session 6 -- Jupiter Jazz? (Gren is non-binary in this I believe)

Session 8 -- clearly Pierrot Le Fou

I've just created a new topic for comparison discussions.  Feel free to speculate there. 

• Love 2

Damn, that does sound pretty quick for Netflix!

I'm usually not one for excuses, but I do wonder if this wasn't exactly the best time to release it competitive wise.  It comes out around the same time both The Wheel of Time and Hawkeye did, and we've already just a few weeks away from the return of The Witcher and The Book of Boba Fett (and, for me at least, the final season of The Expanse!), so I wonder if some who might have been somewhat interested just didn't feel like investing in it yet.  Factor in the (accurate) stigma about live adaptations of anime and the middling at best reviews, and I can see why it ended up being a disappointment.  Plus, it was admittedly flawed, but I've certainly seen worse and would have been curious to see how a second season would go.

But, hey, it at least made me curious about checking out the original anime, so that's kind of a win, right?

• Love 2