Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Fashion Thread: The Good, The Bad, The (Very) Ugly!

WendyCR72

Do people want to see Castle in a tux and Beckett in (the previous/new?) wedding dress or don't mind something less formal? If people still care about wedding attire, that is.

So don't care. Especially after that ugly dress from last year. The finale one was OK but still nothing that got me into the spirit. Since we wasted an entire season on the subject I just want it done already. I don't even care how. 45 seconds or 5 minutes. Just get it done already and move on.

• Love 1

In more gender reversal, Luke decides to have not just Alexis in a tux, but badass, ballsy Beckett married in a suit and tie ensemble. :P

Please not to the extent that Castle wears the wedding dress (version 1, 2 or TBD)...

Holy crap.

Her wedding look grew on me (after my initial "wtf ... a pantsuit?"), but the pants were my favorite part.

I also just realized two things - that the top was a bolero jacket, probably not meant to be worn without something under it (and I don't think she had on anything under it) and you typed those prices with commas, so I definitely thought the prices were a hundred times more than what they are.

Edited by McManda
and I don't think she had on anything under it

I don't think she did either.  I kept rewatching trying to tell and couldn't be sure, but there was definitely skin showing between her pants and the bottom of the jacket.

She also wore a black paneled blazer from Escada, price $1,850.

I always want her clothes, then I see the prices and know it will never happen.

Edited by KaveDweller

I don't think she did either.  I kept rewatching trying to tell and couldn't be sure, but there was definitely skin showing between her pants and the bottom of the jacket.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought she wasn't wearing anything underneath but it was difficult to catch, kind of strange. 

McManda. I copied the figures direct from the website and they used commas I've corrected it now.

I shall have to dream about having her wardrobe of lovely jackets and coats but that's as far it will go at those prices. 

I mean, the jacket was clasped shut between her breasts so she wasn't flashing people, but it was a pretty loosely knit lace. I'm going to pretend that she had a nude colored liner sewn into it.

That theory works for me.

I did really like the jacket and her outfit overall though.  I think she looked great, and it really seemed like something she could pull together in a couple of hours. It would have seemed weird if she had another super-fancy dress, especially since it was just a few people there.  

• Love 1

The wedding pantsuit was THE BEST! I loved what Stana said about why they chose that route. It was beautiful, simple, white, and realistic. It looked like something she could go in her closet and pull out. 

The Sash? Luke Reichle.

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 1

Okay here is a picture of them and at first glance it really does look like she's wearing nothing at all underneath but looking really closely at her right side I wonder if there is just a hint of the edge of a nude bra cup showing through the lace. And on the other side here on a much closer shot you can see it here again the edge of something peeking through the lace and going around her back which would make more sense.  Then again may be I'm imagining all this and she really did go to her wedding in such a rush she just flung on a lace top with no support or covering. 

This is bugging me now why can't someone tweet Luke.

I agree about the dress it would have looked a bit odd if she had turned up in some designer number, the outfit she chose grew on me after the initial holy shit pants Luke? 

The only thing I'm not entirely sure about is the bare midriff which seems a bit casual for a wedding and also because I know there's no way I could get away with it myself and look that good. 

Edited by verdana

So between the three wedding outfits, tuxedos and dresses in Dressed to Kill - I think they used up 3/4 of their annual budget there. j/k.

What really gets me about all this is that they obviously spent big for the first one when they knew it was going to never happen with the beautiful Hamptons location. Then they're reduced to doing a cut price version for the actual wedding with the blue (or green) screen from hell sunset and dodgy looking set decor and minimal wedding trappings. Such a shame, so when Marlowe was talking about budget restrictions a while ago my heart wasn't bleeding for him, he made his choice.  

Edited by verdana

I find the discussion about whether Beckett was wearing anything underneath the bolero to be amusing.  I never thought about whether she was or wasn't, but I'd imagine that if she wasn't then Castle/NF would have had a very hard time concentrating on the vows! :P

They did blow the budget on both the first (horrendous and unused) wedding dress and the second (beautiful and unused) wedding dress plus all the wasted trappings for a non-wedding.  Who knows if Luke knew that Beckett wasn't actually going to get married in them when he designed them.  I don't know if their expenditure last season impacted on the budget for this season but I don't think they are particularly smart about budget in general.  Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of budget gets blown this season on some big explosions or action set pieces for the mythology while they were cheap with the actual wedding.  Guess which fans care about more. ;)

This is going to make you laugh: http://www.mysteryplayground.net/2014/11/a-luncheon-with-castle-costume-designer.html

Luke’s $1,000,000.00 budget (no, that is not a mistake in the zeros) for a season of Castle allows him to splurge on a costume and not feel guilty. He referenced an elaborate Elvis costume he made for an episode.

How much of that went towards wedding dresses, I wonder?  That Elvis costume should never ever be mentioned again.

When asked about the cast of Castle he said everyone is wonderful. Beckett can really run in obscenely high heels. She’s 5’10” without them and about 6’2” with them on. Luke said she likes to be able to stare the criminal in the eye. The must have a lot of tall criminals.

When asked about Nathan Luke said he is fabulous. Although he did confess that Nathan prefers to wear jeans and a t-shirt. “If you ever see him in public and he looks nice, I’ve dressed him.

And if we see him on the show and he looks dumpy, Luke's dressed him. ;)

What I'd like to understand is why Luke only buys designer wear for Beckett (and Ryan and Espo) and never tailor makes anything for her himself whereas it's the opposite for Castle.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think he should make clothes for anyone because I don't think he understands good tailoring.

Luke fails for me as a costume designer because I think he indulges his own preferences and possibly those of the actors above any considerations for the characters.  Just because Nathan may like plaid and be dressed loosely and casually doesn't mean that's right for millionaire, metrosexual Castle.  And if Luke and Stana happen to like haute couture and fabulous designer wear, that doesn't mean it's always right for Detective Beckett.  There's such a big difference in taste and style between Beckett's 3 wedding outfits, and I'm left with no idea about where the taste of the character Beckett lies, unless the point is to say she's a fashionista and she likes all designer wear. ;)  It's an example to me of Luke thinking of his own tastes first above that of what's right for the character.

And gah, again, Beckett's cleavage tops as Capt. Beckett were so distracting.  Not in a good way because that wasn't the time and place for it. It almost looked like she was just wearing a black bra underneath her jackets at times (of course she wasn't but that's what it would have looked like to her colleagues).

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1
It's an example to me of Luke thinking of his own tastes first above that of what's right for the character.

That's exactly the problem I have with his dressing of the cast, it's not about the characters and what should be appropriate for them but what Luke likes that week which is on trend or he's got a particular affinity for, although in Castle's case it's just dumpy and awful!  Since Castle has fallen in love with Beckett his wardrobe has got progressively worse and ill suited to the character.  I shouldn't notice the cast's clothing that much at all if Luke is doing his job right but every episode there's something.  

Thanks very much for the article madmaverick that gave me a laugh.

He explained to the attentive audience that he tells a story with costumes, and he looks for clues on the pages of the script.

I wonder what story he's trying to tell about Richard Castle? He's obviously lost the plot on this one and needs some reading glasses.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Gates' wardrobe has been looking good this season.  Beckett and Ryan about the same.  Castle and Esposito still not so good.  

A guest star just tweeted that he was wearing Hugo Boss.  If the budget stretches to that for a guest star, again, I don't know why Castle can't wear Hugo Boss instead of Luke?

I did like seeing Beckett in her more casual hoodie getup at home.

So did people prefer Castle looking kind of comically French in Beckett's scarf and beret (reminded me of S1 Beckett when she wore a beret one episode) or the sleeveless + headband 80s action hero look?  Heh.  Both definite improvements over Elvis, thankfully.

So did people prefer Castle looking kind of comically French in Beckett's scarf and beret (reminded me of S1 Beckett when she wore a beret one episode) or the sleeveless + headband 80s action hero look? Heh. Both definite improvements over Elvis, thankfully.

Sleeveless, definitely sleeveless. The guy's got the arms for it. Whew.

• Love 1

So did people prefer Castle looking kind of comically French in Beckett's scarf and beret (reminded me of S1 Beckett when she wore a beret one episode) or the sleeveless + headband 80s action hero look?  Heh.  Both definite improvements over Elvis, thankfully.

I still have nightmares about that Elvis episode. 

Gates is looking good, no doubt about it, others have noticed it too I see on tumblr and elsewhere.  Ryan is always rock solid fashion wise, Espo not so good (awful jacket this week), Castle those arms distracted but sadly little improvement generally.  I agree with madmaverick why or why can't Nathan be wearing Hugo Boss or some designer suit or even some high street store purchase that actually fits him and doesn't add ten years rather than Luke talking about his "custom made" wardrobe that seems made for someone else. 

I would love to hear Luke explain how he makes the fashion choices he does when it comes to Castle and how he sees the character because so many people look at his wardrobe and think it's lousy. What is Luke seeing that I'm missing? 

Edited by verdana

The jackets are bad enough, and his shirt collars are much too high making his neck seem short and emphasizing a double chin. (Well maybe a one and a half chin, that's a thing right?)

But what really throws me is that his pant legs are so long. They don't just break on his instep, they fold and pool over his shoes. That is neither fashionable nor tidy.

I agree it's not only the bulky jackets that are a problem, it's everything pretty much in the cut and styling that looks badly fitted and makes him look sloppy. He's a million miles away from the snappy dresser he used to be, now a compliment about his status as a man with impeccable taste would make me laugh. He may have good taste in some things but his clothing choices are certainly not one of them. He looks as if he doesn't care too much what he puts on or how he looks which isn't in keeping with the character they established in the first few seasons. 

I don't know what that show is but I'm tuning in!  There's just something about a ruggedly handsome Canadian in a mountie uniform.  Unsurprisingly, the uniform looks far better fitted than any of Castle's outerwear. ;) Looking good on his horse there.  Haven't seen him on one since his Firefly days.  Wish we'd seen him ride in the Western episode, but don't think he would have looked as dashing in Luke's wardrobe as this anyway.  And they might have had Castle falling off the horse for laughs. ;)

I was rewatching Husbands and I know that the s1 eps were done in August '11 according to a Comic Con interview. So I compared some of the early s4 eps outfits and doesn't his purple shirt looks the same in his outfit at the end of Eye of the Beholder. The suit jacket could come from any of the eps cause the season was so dark and muted you couldn't tell what the actual color is. So Luke's wardrobe for him strikes again, but at least it was for only about 30 secs.

One thing that has really struck me is that there is no sense of season on the show. It's near Christmas in New York and no hats, scarves etc...and then when they go to the tile business, Castle is in a sport jacket- no coat. Yes, we do have our freak warm days, but NY in December is COLD! I think the constant Beckett coat fashion show is fairly fun, but have we ever seen it be summer other than Murder He wrote? It just seems like it's always hovering between 50-60 degrees. ;-)

Edited by GeorgieNY

One thing that has really struck me is that there is no sense of season on the show. It's near Christmas in New York and no hats, scarves etc...and then when they go to the tile business, Castle is in a sport jacket- no coat. Yes, we do have our freak warm days, but NY in December is COLD! I think the constant Beckett coat fashion show is fairly fun, but have we ever seen it be summer other than Murder He wrote? It just seems like it's always hovering between 50-60 degrees. ;-)

See, it is seasons like these I wish the show actually did film in NY as Blue Bloods does and the Law & Order franchise did/SVU [the last of it] still does. Of course, the city is more of a star on those shows as well as the actors, and the tone is different. But it is also more true to the seasons: They actually DO bundle up in the winter because they ARE actually in NYC!

Maybe it's because the fashion designer (Luke Something, yes?) would have to put warmth above fashion. Because most of the coats Beckett has? She'd freeze her ass off. The casts of the "real" NYC shows are stuck wearing the requisite ugly wool hats, gloves, and even bulky parkas and you can see their breath, etc. They sometimes almost even waddle. LOL! But...'tis the season.

But yeah, times like these, it just reminds you everyone is actually in sunny L.A.! Great for the actors, not so good for the show's setting. It does make me wonder why this show wasn't set in L.A. to start with as it is the second biggest US city, so there's still enough prestige.

• Love 1

See, it is seasons like these I wish the show actually did film in NY as Blue Bloods does and the Law & Order franchise did/SVU [the last of it] still does.

Maybe it's because the fashion designer (Luke Something, yes?) would have to put warmth above fashion. Because most of the coats Beckett has? She'd freeze her ass off. The casts of the "real" NYC shows are stuck wearing the requisite ugly wool hats, gloves, and even bulky parkas and you can see their breath, etc. They sometimes almost even waddle. LOL! But...'tis the season.

Funny you should mention that, because I used to often work as an extra on many NY filmed shows (still do occasionally) and it's often freezing, ice, sleet, snow....investing in great long johns is key. Of course, then you also get to wear full winter gear in mid summer where the leaves are on the trees and some NY-er or tourist in shorts and a tank top inevitably walks through the shot eating an ice cream cone so you have to start over.... The best is when the AD's are yelling at you to stop shivering or sweating, as it it is voluntary.

So yeah, they definitely have the luxury of fashion over function in LA (I'm sure they are often really hot on their coats)

One thing that has really struck me is that there is no sense of season on the show. It's near Christmas in New York and no hats, scarves etc...and then when they go to the tile business, Castle is in a sport jacket- no coat.Yes, we do have our freak warm days, but NY in December is COLD! I think the constant Beckett coat fashion show is fairly fun, but have we ever seen it be summer other than Murder He wrote?

Problem is that they shoot in LA. Growing up there anything under 60 degrees everyone is bundled up but that usually is like less than 3 months of the yr. I had a wool coat growing up but I rarely used it. The only time is was cold for me was the December 5am soccer practice before school or the couple of times I decorated Rose Parade floats at night. Most of the time a sweatshirt was fine for the colder weather. Cloudy Chance of Murder was suppose to be set during the summer since Alexis and Martha was in Europe and she moves into the dorms next ep. Alexis moving in at the end of August and Murder He Wrote could've been set during Labor Day weekend since there was a party at someone's house the victim was at.

But yeah, times like these, it just reminds you everyone is actually in sunny L.A.! Great for the actors, not so good for the show's setting. It does make me wonder why this show wasn't set in L.A. to start with as it is the second biggest US city, so there's still enough prestige.

NYC is more of a city while LA is the land of suburbs, freeways and so spread out. None of the characters would be living so close in apartments. Could you imagine Castle having a house in the Hollywood Hills, Ryan and Jenny in a suburban house in one of the valleys, Beckett like in Silverlake or her and Lanie in an apartment complex like the one on Chuck and Espo living near the beach.

Edited by turnitwayup

Designer Luke Reichle Spills Costume Secrets from the Red Carpet at Crescenta Valley Weekly

He has published the first of a three-part guide to feeling great and dressing well.

“My mission,” he said, “is to get people to dress the body you have and love the body you’re dressing.”

I shall not be buying his guide. 

I think you've failed in your mission when it comes to Mr Castle.

Edited by verdana
Luke Reichle @RedCarpetLuke  ·  

Coming up on #Castle @NathanFillion is designed like Raymond Chandler by way of #Zegna, #Burberry and #Etro a la @RedCarpetLuke

Colour me shocked, but is this the first time Castle has gotten to wear Zegna and Burberry?  Designer duds, finally!  On a P.I.'s salary no less. ;)  Shall have to rewatch to see if the suits are better fitted, assuming he meant the suits were designer.

And apparently Beckett wore a reversible plaid coat?  The lighting must have been too dark because I missed it.  With the dim lighting and everyone mostly wearing dark colours (except Martha of course, never Martha), the clothing isn't too distinctive sometimes.  Which could be a good thing. ;)

Esposito's purple scarf seemed a bit jarring amidst all the dark colours.  And I can imagine him making an unfunny crack about how purple isn't a manly colour more than I can imagine him buying a scarf in that colour...

The boots Beckett wore in this last episode [Castle, P.I.] were so high it was ridiculous. They were't just full block heel high; they were stiletto high. At least 5 inches. So unrealistically high it's crazy. I don't take Beckett serious as a cop anymore. Her wardrobe, hair, makeup, and shoes have taken me out of the realm of possibility. I don't see Beckett anymore; I see Stana [if that makes sense]. 

• Love 3

The boots Beckett wore in this last episode [Castle, P.I.] were so high it was ridiculous. They were't just full block heel high; they were stiletto high. At least 5 inches. So unrealistically high it's crazy. I don't take Beckett serious as a cop anymore. Her wardrobe, hair, makeup, and shoes have taken me out of the realm of possibility. I don't see Beckett anymore; I see Stana [if that makes sense]. 

Makes sense, and I know most don't watch this show for reality. But since Beckett is a cop, for God's sake, if you're going to keep the fashion model hair and clothes, AT LEAST give her practical shoes.

Ironically, for all the hate I've seen around places about her short haircut and S1 look, that was the most "cop"-like look the character has ever had.

• Love 1

I absolutely loved her season 1 look it was probably my favourite look on her (or end of season 2) and her short, choppy hair for the that reason Wendy, but it's not a favourite look amongst many based on various comments I've seen. I've heard her called unattractive, boyish and plain to describe her back then which I find crazy and kind of sad but of course what people find attractive is very subjective. Then she had her generic Hollywood makeover and stopped looking much like a cop and got 'hot' but I found her beautiful and sexy before that.

Nathan in designer duds? Whoah! But yeah will they look any better than the custom fitted clothes he has at the moment which look anything but.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
And apparently Beckett wore a reversible plaid coat?  The lighting must have been too dark because I missed it.

Here you go madmaverick if you fancy making a purchase.

The coat:  This navy Brandy coat has a timeless, knee-length shape and ladylike waist tie. It’s made from a sumptuous double-faced camel hair, wool and angora-blend that’ll remain soft and cosy, and is fully reversible with a subtly checked second side.

Design: Max Mara

Original price: $1938

The only time I have an issue with her high heels is when they highlight them (either by accident or design).  There was one scene for example ages ago where she's inside this air plane hanger in 5 inch stick heels and because of the way they shot her with a long camera down low it took me totally out of the scene and I burst out laughing. She was tottering along, there is no way she could run in them, with really high heels you have to walk so carefully sometimes especially if the surface looks uneven or slippery and she looked a bit uncomfortable.  I do appreciate those shows that do try at least and keep it real when it comes to how individuals dress and look but Castle isn't that kind of show and I accept that since it's all part of the entertainment factor, as long as they don't rub it in my face then I can ignore it. Edited by verdana

She was tottering along, there is no way she could run in them, with really high heels you have to walk so carefully sometimes especially if the surface looks uneven or slippery and she looked a bit uncomfortable. She was tottering along, there is no way she could run in them, with really high heels you have to walk so carefully sometimes especially if the surface looks uneven or slippery and she looked a bit uncomfortable.

It's a good thing that they live in a perpetual fall-like NYC and Beckett's not hauling after suspects on the regular then, right?

The most realistic female cops [at least on the shows I watch] are Agt. Kensi Blye and Det. Erin Lindsay. Daniela and Sophia are beautiful and dressing them practically for their characters lends realism to the roles and show. Stana is gorgeous and still would be if they toned her look down, in my opinion.

Yeah, her stilettos were pretty ridiculous on this last episode. I really noticed them when she was crossing the street with Esposito going to the school. They were like 6 inches and so thin that if she ran they would probably snap,

I feel so bad for women who try to wear these shoes in the real world (especially NYC) as on set the actresses usually have UGGs or slippers on right until they are ready to shoot and then put the shoes on for the action.

Here you go madmaverick if you fancy making a purchase.

Ha, thanks but no thanks, verdana.  I would rather spend that kind of money on a holiday than clothes any day.  

I hope they use the reversible side sometime to get more out of the coat. ;)

I've nothing against high heels, but personally, I don't see why women need them to look to more beautiful or powerful (of course those are not just the reasons women wear them) especially when they cause so much discomfort and can actually damage your feet over time.  Stana's already a tall woman and well-matched with Nathan in terms of height (as long as they can make eye contact I think that's fine, they don't need to be the same height), so I really don't see why they need to take her to new heights with excessively high heels.  Not saying she has to wear flats if she doesn't want to (though that really would make sense for a cop character) but no stilettos and not too many inches, please.  I think that ship has definitely sailed though.  Looks like Stana and Luke both like the look for Beckett.

I liked Beckett's S1 look too and miss it, but I think that ship has also long sailed.  It felt fresher and far less generic Hollywood, but I guess Hollywood pressures had their way and the result is a glammed up, beautiful, but less unique look.

Could be wrong, but Castle looks like he's wearing the same thing in the sneak peek or at least something very similar to what he wore in the last episode. P.I. salary cutting down on his already very limited wardrobe? ;)  

High heels are such a killer for your feet if worn all day, I love them (a 3 3/4-4 inch heel is my limit though!) because I'm such a shorty but oh the pain for the gain. *sigh*

I thought Stana (or someone) once said she wore high heels because it gives a feeling of parity between them if she's the same height as him and can look him direct in the eye. Although I adore their height difference the odd time she's been bare foot in the loft or her apartment and they've filmed a close up together. But I can see why they probably do prefer to keep them about the same height makes it easier filming wise and tall people just look good on screen.

I'm sure I saw one BTS clip back in S1 or S2 where she's having to chase some guy down a subway and you can clearly see she's got flats/trainers on to do the scene. When I went back and watched the actual episode I realised you never saw her feet that clearly the way they cut everything together. 

Edited by verdana

Could be wrong, but Castle looks like he's wearing the same thing in the sneak peek or at least something very similar to what he wore in the last episode. P.I. salary cutting down on his already very limited wardrobe? ;)

Poor Castle he never catches a break does he wardrobe wise, although he's just splashed out on that new office for "Richard Castle Investigations" (heh) which can't be cheap so may be he's decided to do some cost cutting elsewhere.

All those vintage cameras can't have come cheap.  I thought it was a bit of an overkill.  I would have favoured a more eclectic choice like his home office.

I can imagine he got some new business cards printed.  Richard Castle, P.I., Rh.D.  Most people would be too embarrassed to confess they didn't know what a Rh.D. was to inquire heh.  Wonder if his new clients are going to realise he's also Richard Castle, bestselling author, or if he's going to publicise that fact.

• Love 1