Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Fashion Thread: The Good, The Bad, The (Very) Ugly!

WendyCR72

Yeah s4 was pretty horrid with a lot of the distractingly bad outfits from Beckett's tan suit from Eye of the Beholder, the Elvis costumes, Espo in a hoodie plus leather jacket inside the precinct, lulzy 90s wear for Ryan/Espo. Probably can go on and on lol.

Luke seems to not understand the difference between Stana and Beckett or Nathan and Castle, for that matter. A mess. I miss Sal! He actually dressed the actors to fit their characters. Luke calls Stana his muse.. and that's the reason why Nathan is dressed the way he is. Looks like he throws shit on him and that's about it.

• Love 1

Do hairstyles count as fashion?  I've been catching up on 'Castle' via TNT recently, since I didn't watch the show until this past season (I don't know why, it's great!).  Anyway, I haven't really paid too much attention to the clothes (but I will from now on).  I'm up to the beginning of the fourth season and today I watched 'Demons', the one where they try to solve the murder of the ghost hunter in the old mansion.  I didn't notice the clothes, but I loved Beckett's hair in the last part of the episode.  Castle had gone to get her at her apartment so that they could look for a hidden room, and she was wearing her hair in kind of a semi-messy braid that was hanging over her left shoulder.  She wore it that way for the rest of the episode, even back at the precinct.  It looked really good on her.  As I said, I'm just catching up--has she ever worn it in the braid in other episodes (or maybe just when she's working out or something)?

As I said, I'm just catching up--has she ever worn it in the braid in other episodes (or maybe just when she's working out or something)?

She briefly wore it in a low French braid in 4x02, but other than that, not that I remember.

I wish they'd do more with her hair. I remember they tried a few things in seasons 2 and 3 (up-dos, low ponytails with this large clip) and it looked great because she had bangs and layers which made the hairstyles look so natural, but now it's either perfectly styled locks or high ponytails with zero fly-aways and a ton of volume on top of the head. 

I consider talking about Beckett and her various hairstyles over the course of the show definitely belongs on here.

I really don't dig the way they have her hair all long and flyaway, especially given her job as a cop out of the streets a lot plus it often looked straggly and distracted me during scenes where she's having to scrape it away from her face because it's getting in the way. I'm glad Stana has had it cut, I find when they put her hair up it can have a tendency to look school marmish and harsh but there have been a few times when they get it right and that style in Demons was different and cute. 

Edited by verdana

I don't wear a bathrobe at all tho I do have one similar to Beckett's blue one except mine's navy that's been sitting in my closet for yrs. I really have no use for robe. I take my clothes in the bathroom to change when I take a shower. My sleepwear consists of tanks tops, tshirts, soft polyester soccer shorts and old vs velour pants or workout leggings for winter. So Beckett's sleepwear is similar to mine but yeah no robe. Now the robe that Castle wears would be something my dad wears and he's in his 60s, but I don't know what the typical sleepwear is for a guy in his mid 40s. I don't think sharing a coed room at a hostel near ski areas with guys of various ages is gonna help since most wore base layers, sweats and tshirts. Different type of clientele than a guy like Castle.

My dad is 68 and wears a robe like that around the house. But - again - he's sixty. eight. lol

Whenever I see Beckett & Castle in their lounge and/or nighttime clothes, I just imagine that's what Milmar wears. And then I shudder a little. lol 

Whenever I see Beckett & Castle in their lounge and/or nighttime clothes, I just imagine that's what Milmar wears. And then I shudder a little. lol

Thank you for leaving me with this lovely mental image to take with me to bed.

In the episode "Dressed to Kill," which was at the fashion magazine, the editor's assistant wore these great, edgy suits. Does anyone know who designed them? Or if there are any screen captures out there of them? Thanks!

y sleepwear consists of tanks tops, tshirts, soft polyester soccer shorts and old vs velour pants or workout leggings for winter. So Beckett's sleepwear is similar to mine but yeah no robe.

They seem to change up Beckett's sleepwear up a bit.  Usually she wears leggings and T-shirt type things, but then sometimes they put her in a more classic robe/nightgown thing.  The latter doesn't really seem to fit her style.

So it wasn't just me bothered by those robes?!?!? Look I don't wear sexy clothes to bed all the time {if at all b/c they are coming off anyway .. why waste the time. TMI? Maybe! lol.} and don't expect Castle and Beckett too but damn! How old are they? Put Nathan/Castle on a tight black t-shirt and PJ bottoms. Put Stana/Beckett in pair of fitted yoga pants and a tank tank. Boom! Lose the big ass, ugly, matronly robes. 

Yes, I miss Sal. Tell him that on twitter often. Him talking about fitting clothes etc. makes me miss him all the more. How Nathan/Castle would look w. him in charge of costume department. 

Stana Katic shows some Skin arriving at LA Philharmonic’s Opening Night Concert and Gala - video

Actress Stana Katic attends the LA Philharmonic’s Walt Disney Concert Hall Opening Night Concert and Gala at Walt Disney Concert Hall on September 30, 2014

Not entirely sure about this one, it looks great from the front. A plain and simple column dress in one colour but I've never been a fan myself of backless dresses makes me feel way too exposed plus my back is not that wonderful to look at but then I'm not Stana Katic.  

I want this coat so bad

And I like this one too, she's may have worn it before. 

I love Beckett's awesome display of expensive coats, whilst I'm sure on a cop's salary (even a higher ranking detective) she couldn't possibly afford the extensive wardrobe she has at her disposal but I sure do love the results. I'm shallow like that. 

• Love 1

Yeah I'm in two minds about the dress she wore. Love the colour but have a problem with the fitting in the mid-region, etc.

Love that beige/camel coloured coat.

Edited by Nadine

I think it's that one from Human Factor - season 5. Although that one is more blue or it's just the lighting. Style's the same though.

Isn't that also the one from the end of After the Storm? It feels like the same one she has on from the Bracken event onward. 

I wish I had the body to pull off that dress. I have a love affair with backless dresses. Well, classy backless dresses. I think that if you're going to wear a backless dress, then that's your feature and the rest should be simple and classy, so no abundance of bling or other skin. I think that dress does that well. Stana looks gorgeous. And I really like the soft, beachy curls.

The jacket: Beckett is wearing a dark distressed lambskin leather jacket. Design by: Andrew Marc in 7.03

The trenchcoat is of course by Burberry.

White chiffon blouse & light grey blazer worn in 7.02

The look: Beckett looks great as usual in this silk white top and soft grey blazer vest.
Design by: blazer (Helmut Lang) – blouse (Theory)
Original price: blazer: $655.00  – blouse: $190.00

Edited by verdana

In "Clear & Present Danger" I had to laugh at the receptionist's line, "I love that jacket!", speaking for longtime fans of Beckett's outerwear like me.

Edited by rspad

After rewatching the hot Caskett makeout scene in CAPD, I finally noticed Martha's super colourful, rainbow PJs.  I think the could have spotted her even without the lights turned on lol.  Even if Castle wasn't showing much skin in that scene, I did like his shirt.  Definitely one of Luke's better choices.

Plaid, plaid, plaid seems to be Luke's mantra again.  Still a bit hit and miss with me because I'd like to see more variety, and 2 plaid shirts in 1 episode is a bit boring. The first black (blue?) one with white stripes was nice but the second white one was not so good.  I did like seeing Castle wear a white v-neck at the dining table. Seems like ages since we've seen him in anything white.

Still not a big fan of Castle's non-suit jackets, especially ones with button chest pockets which I get the feeling are tailor made by Luke.  I feel Castle could still exude a more youthful, metrosexual vibe with his choice of outerwear.  I don't understand why Luke can't shop more off the rack designer outerwear for Castle as he does for Beckett?  Seems like Castle rarely wears any designer outerwear.  Surely, it can't be that hard to buy designer wear in Nathan's size?

Just comment less on Beckett's outerwear because there's definitely less ugliness there. ;)  Still coveting that biker leather jacket.  

Alexis' wardrobe has become more noticeable to me in a bad way.  Don't know what Luke's aiming for.  Sometimes she's dressed as almost matronly whilst other times she's looking super casual like in the scooter scene.  

Edited by madmaverick

madmaverick. I'm with you on those dreaded jackets with bulky looking pockets that Luke loves to put Nathan in and yeah the plaid can also be hit or miss too mostly miss I have to say. I have no idea why Luke is so stuffy in his tastes when it comes to Nathan. He ages they guy about ten years which is so annoying because Castle used dress so well but now it's so rare to see him in something well tailored and modern. Stana gets way more attention from Luke that much is obvious. May be he gravitates towards her because Nathan seems oblivious to what he's wearing but it's Luke's job to dress both of them appropriately for their characters.

I notice that Castle had some nice button ups and suits in the 1st 3 eps of s3. It got worse as the season kept going. No more stripe shirts and pin stripe suits which ended up getting switched to solid button ups and lots of plaid. I wish Luke would go back to tailored pin strip suits cause Nathan looked good in them.

$40? Good!

$200+? Ridiculous.

And not just for the denim coat, but all the rest. (Sorry to our resident coat lovers here!) I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars when there are nice enough almost knock-offs that cost a quarter of that amount.

It all seems so wasteful to me.

• Love 2

The show complains about running out of $$, but I wonder how their budget operates.  Does Luke feel compelled to use up ALL his wardrobe budget?  Does he allocate a particular amount for each character (because i'm mostly seeing $ spent on Beckett)? If he makes some clothes himself (Castle's terrible jackets), does he pay himself more out of the budget for his work?  I'm not surprised at the rip off prices for designer wear.  People can have different opinions about whether it's 'worth it' but I just wish more of the profits went to the factory girls making the clothes for very low wages somewhere in the world.

It does seem wasteful to me but I imagine there's a lot of waste in Hollywood.  Hopefully the wardrobe gets reused or donated when the show is over.  I think they may buy several sets of the same outfit as well in case something happens to it.

Luke seems to be going very much with the plaid for Castle and the denim for Beckett this season. 

Who thinks we'll be seeing a 3rd wedding dress?  Now that's wasteful, is that unprecedented?  It'll be a bit depressing if we see them married at the precinct in their precinct clothes (not the denim but still!).

It does seem wasteful to me but I imagine there's a lot of waste in Hollywood.  Hopefully the wardrobe gets reused or donated when the show is over.  I think they may buy several sets of the same outfit as well in case something happens to it.

I recall that quite a few shows once they get cancelled they sell off a lot of their stuff to fans on the cheap and I mean everything, clothes, furniture the works.   Obviously some stuff probably get reused on other shows but at least they're recovering some of their costs. 

The show complains about running out of $$, but I wonder how their budget operates.  Does Luke feel compelled to use up ALL his wardrobe budget?  Does he allocate a particular amount for each character (because i'm mostly seeing $ spent on Beckett)? If he makes some clothes himself (Castle's terrible jackets), does he pay himself more out of the budget for his work?  I'm not surprised at the rip off prices for designer wear.  People can have different opinions about whether it's 'worth it' but I just wish more of the profits went to the factory girls making the clothes for very low wages somewhere in the world.

This interview I found in the Huff Post with Luke might shed some light on your questions it is an old one though.  No surprise to see him admit Stana takes up the most shopping time. Castle apparently has all his clothes made. If that is still the case they need to quit and go shopping on the high street they would find something that fitted him better. 

He confirms their budget (2011) was around USD750,000 and they never return anything that's used obviously. 

Who thinks we'll be seeing a 3rd wedding dress?  Now that's wasteful, is that unprecedented?  It'll be a bit depressing if we see them married at the precinct in their precinct clothes (not the denim but still!).

Hmmm I don't know really, part of me thinks they won't bother and she'll get married in whatever she's wearing at the time which admittedly is a bit dull. May be it's a fall out from the whole missed wedding saga but I must admit I no longer care that much what they end up doing. I'd rather have a meaningful moment between them as they exchange their vows and I'll forget about what they're wearing if it's looks bad. I can't think of a show where the bride has got through three dresses may be others can help you out there! 

Edited by verdana

$40? Good!

$200+? Ridiculous.

And not just for the denim coat, but all the rest. (Sorry to our resident coat lovers here!) I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars when there are nice enough almost knock-offs that cost a quarter of that amount.

It all seems so wasteful to me.

I love Beckett's coats but I certainly couldn't afford to buy one unless I saved up for it and my finances at the moment are having to be prioritised elsewhere. Buying an expensive coat can be worth it quality/wear wise but other times not, as for the other items there is no way I'd be forking out when I can get something similar looking (sometimes even better) much cheaper. Then it's not so heartbreaking to give it away if you get bored/goes out of fashion or your body changes and you can't fit into it. Although in the latter case those items usually go put to the bottom of the cupboard as I convince myself I will get thin enough to wear them again....

I'm cynical about designer brands for the most part, I'm looking in these shops and see a simple white tee with a ridiculous price tag, is the quality and design that much better or is it just the fact it's got a Chanel logo stamped on it?  

Edited by verdana
I recall that quite a few shows once they get cancelled they sell off a lot of their stuff to fans on the cheap and I mean everything, clothes, furniture the works.

Here in Burbank CA we have a store called It's A Wrap that sells wardrobe and props from movies and TV shows. Not sure how cheap the stuff is, and most of the clothes are sized for all those skinny actor types, but it's fun to see all the famous fashions just hanging around on hangers.

Edited by MaryM47

Nathan's definitely working the layered look better than Luke ever did on him. ;)  Did Marty McFly wear a red undershirt as well?  It's been too long.  Not quite high school, but Nathan exudes a younger vibe dressed like that.  I can't see any reason why Castle couldn't wear a denim jacket or a red vest once in a while to shake things up a bit in the wardrobe dept.  Maybe Beckett can buy her new husband a new denim jacket while she adds to her own extensive collection so they can be nauseatingly cute and matchy matchy? :P ;) Luke's given her the denim on denim look several times already.  

Love that Nathan's brother was dressed as Castle.  And told more than once that he forgot to dot the i (with a bullet hole lol).  

Edited by madmaverick

Has Castle ever worn glasses on the show? Wow I wish he would put them on one day when Kate is on the phone at her desk, I'm sure she would get distracted and start thinking about other things...I know I would. There's something about that guy in glasses that's seriously hot. 

• Love 1

Couple of time Castle was in sunglasses, but I think it doesn't count)

And if not in precinct Castle can wear glasses when he write at home. In this case he can also be in t-shirt... 

Count me as not minding seeing Castle in glasses, reading in bed.  It can be foreplay for Beckett heh.  He should also stick to wearing that v-neck without a robe these days.  Nathan wearing glasses gives him a different sort of vibe.  I think there was a nice pic of him in glasses a while ago at some promo event with Penny and Tamala.  

I remember a fanfic ages ago where Castle wears glasses to the precinct because of some eye problem and Beckett gets all hot and bothered about Prof. Castle hehe.

In the episode pics for the Western episode, there's a pic of Castle wearing striped pants and I couldn't help but notice the bad tailoring as they seemed to be too long and all bunched down near his ankle.  Meanwhile, Beckett was in skin fitting skinny jeans next to him and boots around her legs that fit better than Castle's pants. ;)

Do people want to see Castle in a tux and Beckett in (the previous/new?) wedding dress or don't mind something less formal?  If people still care about wedding attire, that is. 

Edited by madmaverick

I remember a fanfic ages ago where Castle wears glasses to the precinct because of some eye problem and Beckett gets all hot and bothered about Prof. Castle hehe.

I strongly suspect we were reading the same fanfic.  And yeah Kate got very hot and bothered! 

Do people want to see Castle in a tux and Beckett in (the previous/new?) wedding dress or don't mind something less formal?  If people still care about wedding attire, that is.

Castle had that tux that he drove to the wedding in, which I must admit I thought was a bit odd, surely would drive there then get changed so you were nice and fresh for the main event? Any way he must have lots of them in this wardrobe from when he had a social life, he could just pick off the hanger so he's sorted. As for Kate I've decided if they are in a bit of a rush a nice simple knee length dress of some description would do me, doesn't have to scream "wedding" but not her precinct clothes please. 

In the episode pics for the Western episode, there's a pic of Castle wearing striped pants and I couldn't help but notice the bad tailoring as they seemed to be too long and all bunched down near his ankle.  Meanwhile, Beckett was in skin fitting skinny jeans next to him and boots around her legs that fit better than Castle's pants. ;)

Will this ever change? *sigh* Seems Nathan is doomed to bad tailoring thanks to Luke for the rest of his Castle days whilst lucky Stana gets to look hot with nice form fitting clothes. 

Castle had that tux that he drove to the wedding in, which I must admit I thought was a bit odd, surely would drive there then get changed so you were nice and fresh for the main event?

They knew we'd never get to see the main event so wanted us to see Castle in a tux and Beckett in her thankfully much more beautiful dress nevertheless. ;)  But what I was more interested in seeing was Castle and Beckett getting to appreciate each other in all their finery.

Any way he must have lots of them in this wardrobe from when he had a social life, he could just pick off the hanger so he's sorted.

Ha, yes, back from when his social life consisted of more than wandering about in plaid.  He probably has them in storage by now ;), what with his closet space taken up by his ugly jackets and Beckett's beautiful coats.

As for Kate I've decided if they are in a bit of a rush a nice simple knee length dress of some description would do me, doesn't have to scream "wedding" but not her precinct clothes please.

In more gender reversal, Luke decides to have not just Alexis in a tux, but badass, ballsy Beckett married in a suit and tie ensemble. :P

I hope we get to see Caskett get up close and personal to really appreciate each other's wedding attire.