Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Fashion Thread: The Good, The Bad, The (Very) Ugly!

WendyCR72

Hated the beauty pageant hair they gave in the latter years when it got ridiculously long and Katic was fighting in some scenes to keep it out of her face and it took me out of scenes because it should have been tied up if they give a fig about any sense of realism on this show but they don't so...

but I absolutely love Kate's S1 hair---it was stylish, unique and just 'fit' the character, for lack of a better way of putting it. S3's hair may objectively be the most gorgeous to me, but it's less unique and distinctive, which seems to correspond with the character becoming a little less unique and distinctive to me as well :)

I was one of the few fans who adored her hair in S1, great colour and cut, she looked beautiful (not mannish as some fans said there's no way she was that!) it seemed very fitting quite right. I don't mind her with long hair but I dislike it when they mess it around and it ends up looking overly processed or it gets too straggly. 

As for NF, he looks best in S1 to me.

Oh yeah he looked the business, that stubble in the pilot wow I'd have taken up his offer unlike Beckett lol. Hot as hell and S2 and parts of S3 weren't bad either. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I thought her hair has always been brown? Was she ever any other colour? Blonde ? Redhead? Pink?

But the short hair in Season One was definitely the best. Sensible length for the job, cute style, and not bloody hollywood/pageant hair like every other generic TV star.

I've been binge-watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and when the MoleWomen are rescued one of them gets a free makeover into just that generic style.

#cutstanashair

She's always been a brunette on Castle, but it's gotten lighter brown and she's gotten highlights as the series has progressed. Comparing season 1 Beckett's haircolor to season 6 Beckett's hair (like here!) and you can tell.

Stana's also been blonde, once. I'm not really a fan. Dark hair suits her.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

My only beef with Becketts hair is how she doesn't wear it tied back at crime scenes.....Jane Rizzoli does and I love it! It's a consistent thing in that show and it's a small attention to detail and an effort in the BTS that as a viewer I really appreciate!

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will spend a ridiculous amount on ridiculous things.  Hence, they keep making and selling these ridiculous things at exorbitant prices! ;)

Dear God, did you guys see this pic? 

Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  

Be bold and find your own style but be sure @RedCarpetLuke is at your side in case you are a tad over the top over!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQHQpWMVAAAwHjo.jpg

A "tad" over the top?  Over the top may be an understatement heh.  I do want some brighter wardrobe on Castle beyond Martha, but not like this.  Green camouflage pants, yellow socks plus suede shoes.  Maybe we should be glad that Luke doesn't dress Castle in his own style.  Leave that shade of green to Martha.  I'm sorry, but that is an Asian conical hat, commonly worn by farmers, and worn as a fashionable item, the conical only becomes comical.  

LOL at Luke retweeting someone who found Molly's clothes "cute" on the show.  Doesn't she mean old?  Luke's key to dressing Castles, father and daughter, is to age them beyond their years.

I liked seeing Nathan in these glasses but the one he's wearing in the next episode as a professor look different and not as good?  Maybe it's the combination of the scruff and the glasses.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/1436522144/Con-Man.jpg

The prop guy made a crack on twitter about Beckett having to leave because she couldn't let her Tumi bag go to waste.  Don't know whose idea it was to shop Tumi, but sounds like Beckett's moved on from S3 when she was mocking Natalie Rhodes for her designer bags. ;)

And the wig, which I don't get either, is becoming a little distracting.  Is it a combination of the wig and the makeup?  Because Stana didn't look so Julia Roberts before, and I'd rather she didn't.

Edited by madmaverick

Dear God, did you guys see this pic? 

Jesus that gave me double vision, they're also both standing behind this background curtain that has swirls on which makes it a million times worse. I pray to God that Martha is never left in charge of decorating the loft.

LOL at Luke retweeting someone who found Molly's clothes "cute" on the show.  Doesn't she mean old?  Luke's key to dressing Castles, father and daughter, is to age them beyond their years.

It's not cute or more importantly remotely like anything I would expect a 21 year old to be wearing, I shouldn't notice a character's close TBH and when I do that's usually because wardrobe has got it wrong.

And the wig, which I don't get either, is becoming a little distracting.  Is it a combination of the wig and the makeup?  Because Stana didn't look so Julia Roberts before, and I'd rather she didn't.

I'm confused about this, can anyone explain exactly why is she wearing a wig? Beckett has had quite an array of hairstyles over the years so what's so wrong with her current hair style that it's not considered appropriate?

Edited by verdana

what's so wrong with her current hair style that it's not considered appropriate?

Perhaps her body double has long hair for another job and spends more time on set than SK?

For Susan's outfit.

The hat was very popular in the 50s both as beachwear and citywear (with the full skirted New Look)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZAAr2TH2w_E/TriVtSjnWDI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/bqAHeUrYGt8/s1600/dior-alinesketch1955.jpg

It was sometimes worn with a pencil skirt, but the balance was achieved by the skirt being mid-calf.

The dress looks fine, and very Martha, but the quite nice jacket is the wrong green. Is it possible that Luke is colour -blind?

The faux fur stole is just heinous. But then, I am of the opinion that if you are going to wear fur, wear the real thing. Fake furs are harder on the environment (petroleum based) , not as warm, and heavier.

(I also object to all leopard prints on women not named Bet Lynch.)

Edited by femmefan1946

LOL.  I guess it could be worse and Alexis could be wearing Martha style clothing.  Youngest diva on the block!

On rewatching the 803 promo, almost thought Alexis was wandering about in just a white bra.... but no, thankfully there was more to it. ;)

So it's partying all October long with Alexis in the slutty angel costume at the frat party in 8x03, cinco de mayo type party with Castle in a sombrero on 8x04 and possible actual Halloween party for 8x06 with likely no matching couple's costume cause they're suppose to be separated. Gee I wonder what random party will show in 8x05 and which cast member is gonna have to wear what.

I wasn't going to comment on this because I whine about it way too much but oh what the hell, it's too tempting.

Yes as usual Luke has dressed him in a jacket about three sizes to big for him.

It drives me nuts, I'm not some fashion guru but this is basic stuff we're talking about here when it comes to getting clothes that enhance not detract from a person by ensuring they are well tailored. Castle's jackets are often too long in the sleeve and also length wise, it's horrible to see. 

Nathan is a big guy but the fact Luke can't find one jacket that actually fits him properly beggars belief for someone supposedly highly experienced in the business, to me it's the first thing I notice every damn time.  Argh! 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Another fashion bugbear that's only started up this season.

Why are they dressing Alexis like a she's 42 not 22?  The clothes, the hair, the makeup...I don't know any college kid who dresses like that, yet again Luke can't seem to get it right.

Didn't you hear.....Alexis is an adult now. Except for holding her father's hand when she's scared, apparently. So she has to wear ugly adult clothes. There's no way to dress young, yet still mature.

That picture actually makes Alexis look like she could be on the cover of a Nancy Drew book. It's the old school hair style I think.

I have no idea what 'young' professional dress looks like. The younger women (24-35) in my office, before I retired, wore pants and shirts. The kids in the Minister's Office (Canadian parliament) sometimes wore skirts. These were all professional women, writers, editors, program analysts, ministerial advisors.

The only real variations were maternity tops and a couple of hijabs. 

But why is Molly Quinn dying her naturally light red hair that flat darker red? Is she channelling Joan Harris?  If she wants a younger look, wouldn't yellow or pink or purple stripes be more fashionable?

Luke Reichle ‏@RedCarpetLuke  Feb 8

Beckett learns about Svetlana in a fabulous cashmere coat from @massimodutti but I had to make castle's coat big enough for stunt pads.

curious621 ‏@curious621  Feb 9

@RedCarpetLuke Is that why  his coats look so big so many times?

Have we finally discovered the truth as to why Castle's jackets look so horribly illfitting? Loved one of the responses underneath his tweet....

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

The jacket is a change at least.  Possibly an improvement on the last leather jacket tailored by Luke.  But why the ugly paisley shirt?  Luke seems to be fond of spreading the paisley from Martha's wardrobe, to Alexis, and now even to the men.   

Have we finally discovered the truth as to why Castle's jackets look so horribly illfitting? Loved one of the responses underneath his tweet....

Hehehe.  Could have been even snarkier.   Not that Luke will ever respond to any questioning of his impeccable tailoring skills. ;)

Luke also seems to have done something different to Castle's button down in the sneak peek for the next episode.  The collar looks different.  Not really in a good way.

The jacket is a change at least.  Possibly an improvement on the last leather jacket tailored by Luke.  But why the ugly paisley shirt?  Luke seems to be fond of spreading the paisley from Martha's wardrobe, to Alexis, and now even to the men.   

That shirt should be held under house arrest, it's awful. Why does Luke spoil everything with these flourishes of his? Urgh.

Not that Luke will ever respond to any questioning of his impeccable tailoring skills. ;)

I wish he would pay attention even if he refuses to acknowledge the criticism. I still can't get over the fact he doesn't see how poor the tailoring looks. 

But Luke comes across as so upbeat about his job, I’m having a hard time placing blame. So 50 percent goes to Luke and the other 50 to Nathan ;-)

Carrying this over from the other thread.  I still think the problem is 80-90% Nathan and his possible reluctance to sit for wardrobe fittings.  I make this assumption from the fact that everyone else typically has pretty well-fitting clothing.....

Edited by TWP

Nathan doesn't seem particularly bothered about fashion based on what I see of him off duty but when he's at work I'd expect the wardrobe department to ensure he dresses for the part and as a professional I'd assume he'd accept that and do whatever was required. Castle as a character had a certain image and I thought Salvatore Perez captured that vibe perfectly without turning Castle into some preening clothes horse. 

It seems odd that Castle's wardrobe imploded when Perez departed, prior to that Nathan seems to have been only too happy to let himself be dressed in all manner of beautifully tailored clothing. I blame Luke mainly but I do wonder if Nathan was more interested in that side of things would it have slowed the slide over the years into fumpy old man territory?  Sigh

Carrying this over from the other thread.  I still think the problem is 80-90% Nathan and his possible reluctance to sit for wardrobe fittings.  I make this assumption from the fact that everyone else typically has pretty well-fitting clothing.....

I don't know. I mean, they have enough downtime on set everyday, so sitting for a fitting wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe he’s not interested, maybe he also thinks the clothes look good on him. Maybe we are the ones fashion-impaired. Maybe they were aiming to copy Marlowe (although my memories are very fuzzy on his clothing)… It just seems inexplicable, and as I have nothing to go on, and I find them both likeable, I blame equally :-)

I don't know. I mean, they have enough downtime on set everyday, so sitting for a fitting wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe he’s not interested, maybe he also thinks the clothes look good on him. Maybe we are the ones fashion-impaired. Maybe they were aiming to copy Marlowe (although my memories are very fuzzy on his clothing)… It just seems inexplicable, and as I have nothing to go on, and I find them both likeable, I blame equally :-)

Maybe he wants to be comfortable or is self-conscious about his weight and finds loose-fitting clothing more appealing. He definitely routinely wears semi-loose clothing in real life.  I don't have an issue if I happened to be right about Nathan and fitting time.  I have no emotional investment of any kind in the actors.  And, personally, I don't mind how he dresses on the show.   He looks fine to me.

The only time the wardrobe bugs me is when Stana does chase scenes in high heels.  Soooooo unrealistic for a cop to dress like that.

Given the wardrobe choices for Nathan and Stana, it's no wonder Luke made me laugh and roll my eyes simultaneously not for the first time when he said recently in that German interview that Nathan was "easy" and that as long as it fit (!) and was comfortable he was happy.  And that he tried to pick clothes for Stana that allowed Beckett to do her job or something like that.  Maybe he just meant clothes and not shoes? Heh. ;)

I don't think the issue is an actor's unwillingness to go for wardrobe sittings because how long can they possibly take, especially for a man?  And if he's an easy client, I don't think he would skip out on fittings.  Nathan's gone to Luke to get dressed for various events like PCAs and maybe even that time when he danced at the Emmys, and also that short film he did, and he looked better dressed in better fitting clothes on those occasions.  Maybe Luke puts more effort on those occasions than on Castle?  Only he knows.  But I'm sure Luke doesn't care what any of us thinks.  Nathan thinks he's doing a good job and even if he has no fashion sense, that is good enough for him.  He is still proudly showing off that ugly wedding dress to media so I guess he still thinks it was a great pick for Beckett. ;)

Nathan doesn't seem particularly bothered about fashion based on what I see of him off duty but when he's at work I'd expect the wardrobe department to ensure he dresses for the part and as a professional I'd assume he'd accept that and do whatever was required. Castle as a character had a certain image and I thought Salvatore Perez captured that vibe perfectly without turning Castle into some preening clothes horse.

Agreed on both counts.  Nathan definitely doesn't seem to be fashion conscious but it's the professional costume designer's job to make sure he looks good in clothes that fit.  That's his job and he shouldn't be less invested, if that's the case, if the actor happens not to be into clothes, or just because the actor's a man. 

One main issue I have with Luke is that he seems to be more influenced by trends and the actor more than the character, whereas to me, the character should always come first.  

Castle isn't even a hard to dress character.  Just needs to look like a well-dressed New Yorker of his age with a certain energy and verve befitting of Castle's personality and reflective of his wealth and metrosexual identity.  A well tailored suit (fail) and shirt is basic, but Castle doesn't have a job where he has to wear that every day.  Luke's gone for one look only and it can be an abomination as Verdana described it when he diverges from this as seen by the latest attempt at a 'student' makeover for Castle.  I did wonder at one time if Luke was trying to emulate Marlowe because he wore these ill fitting suits with button downs at Paley. ;)

The info about jackets having to be bigger to put stunt pads in was interesting, but they don't need to do that for every jacket, do they?  And what about when Stana has to do stunts?  Her outerwear has never seemed overly huge like his, but Luke also doesn't make her outerwear.  But fit aside, the style of Luke's men's outerwear choices have never impressed me.

The big mystery is still why Luke has to be the one to make Castle's clothes and why he just can't buy designer off the rack.

Next time he's in Edmonton, Nathan's dad should take him to George Richards, Big and Tall We Fit Them All.

The class Castle is infiltrating is English as a Second Language-- so adult students, ranging from post- high school to pensioners. His age is not important.

And the scarf is perfect for a Montrealer.

He shouldn't be wearing socks though.  (I lived in Ottawa for 40 years. There is a distinct  Montreal style.)

The thing that throws me is why any urban Quebecois would need to take an ESL class. Quebec may not be officially bilingual*, but any middle class adult would speak fluent English, although he might be rough on grammar and spelling. 

*Quebec is officially French speaking, only New Brunswick is officially bilingual. But the Territories translate all their government work into fourteen languages.

Edited by femmefan1946
The thing that throws me is why any urban Quebecois would need to take an ESL class. Quebec may not be officially bilingual*, but any middle class adult would speak fluent English, although he might be rough on grammar and spelling.

My experience has not been this, at all. Once you get about an hour outside Montreal, fewer and fewer people speak English.

Back to fashion, though - Montrealers tend to be a pretty stylish bunch. NF will definitely need to have his game upped.

I did enjoy Nathan's French in the promo for next week.  Don't know how French-Canadian he sounded though as I learned French from the French.

Luke Reichle ‏@RedCarpetLuke 

@Stana_Katic is held captive in a blouse from @ElieTahari

A tempting reply would be to say @NathanFillion is held captive in a suit from @RedCarpetLuke.   And he's held captive every episode, poor guy.  Heh. ;)

@MollyQuinn93 to the rescue in a fur-lined denim peplum jacket from @Burberry Brit.

I can see that the Burberry disease has now spread to Alexis as well. ;)  Meh on the jacket.

That was one ugly jacket. And she was still wearing it some hours later indoors. Strange.

I did enjoy Nathan's French in the promo for next week.

That's what my dad called "Diefenbaker French"-- French that was easily understood by anglophones. (Dad's own accent was Doric Scots.)

One of my french profs told us about hearing two women discussing a dress in an Ottawa  store, "Ouais, h'aime le ouay qu'a hang."

Translation. "Oui, j'aime le facon dont elle convient." or "Yes, I like the way it hangs"

This little song is a commentary on Canadian winter.

Do NOT play it at work if anyone actually understands Quebecois. It is not polite.

I suppose they used NF's stunt double for the long shots outside the apartment building. Either he is not at all the same body type or someone should be backing away from the craft table.

Kewl. Fun dress, that it's subject to such diverse interpretations, the definition of perfection, for me ! ;-). Somehow when I searched "Stana Katic dress," I only got the worst dress article...

Kewl. Fun dress, that it's subject to such diverse interpretations, the definition of perfection, for me ! ;-). Somehow when I searched "Stana Katic dress," I only got the worst dress article...

They were links I found.  Personally I didn't mind the dress, but not a favorite.

They were links I found.  Personally I didn't mind the dress, but not a favorite.

It's very much in keeping with the "Spirit Awards". It looks very, almost "tribal"....for an indestinguishable tribe of unknown nationality, of course. All she needs is giant sun catcher earrings.

Spotted an unexpected, fun tidbit as I was scrolling down the BBC Oscars live blog.  I could be wrong, but I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere.  Don't think Stana's team has spotted it either.  No one in the fandom reads the BBC? :P  Now I feel like TV Line with the scoop heh.

Star-struck
Posted at
09:04
The Independent Spirit Awards are held in tents on the beach in Santa Monica and as such the ahem..facilities are temporary.

Not even the stars escape having to use the Portaloos.

I was a little bit starstruck to find myself in the queue as Stana Katic from Castle came out of one in an ever-so floaty dress. I'm a huge fan of the show but refrained from grabbing her for a selfie.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertainment-arts-35602548

Relieved to know that a BBC reporter is capable of staying professional, as expected, even when starstruck in a queue for a toilet hehe.  Cool that she was a fan of Castle.  Floaty dress, huh?  At least she didn't call it a shower curtain hehe.  There's something poetic about the Spirt Awards being held inside a tent and Stana's dress also looking like a tent. :P  Now on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the dress for ease of use in a Portaloo? :P

No one in the fandom reads the BBC?

I do! But I was too busy reading up on Leo's Oscar win, looking at Kate Winslet's dress which appeared as if she'd wrapped herself in black gaffer tape and saying a sad goodbye to all the great Leo Oscar memes. Loved this set of gifs that I saw on tumblr which sums up Leo's struggle lol.  

Now on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the dress for ease of use in a Portaloo? :P

I would cross my legs until I got home, there's no way I'd be trying to cram myself into a portaloo clad in a dress with enough material to probably cover my back lawn.  

I'd be terrified I'd get trapped in there and the fire brigade would have to be called to extract me. 

Edited by verdana

Okay, am I the first to think that Beckett's frilly blouse and jacket make me think of Partridge Family concert garb?

"W-Ahhhhhh, I think I love you!" Etc.

Does this date me? Don't answer that.

• Love 1

Does this date me? Don't answer that.

What's a partridge family? (just kidding)

I didn't like the frilly blouse either and I thought the shirt she was wearing on the second day was less than professional for a captain.  I loved her jacket though. We've probably seen that one before.