Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Lobsters, Too

• Start Topic

Bette, Tina and Carrie are all forced together to support Angie. Shane is shocked when someone from her past re-enters her life. Alice and Tom question what they are to each other now that her book is finished. Meanwhile, Dani pushes Rodolfo to come clean with her; Sophie’s new assignment at work allows her to see her relationships in a different light; Finley must face some harsh truths in her personal life; and Micah’s friendship with Maribel continues to evolve.

Original airdate: 9/5/21

I was surprised nobody said anything in response to Angie saying that she's willing to give up a kidney to not lose...was she supposed to be referring to her dad who shared her DNA? Because it sounded like she was talking about her half-sister and that's a pretty dark suggestion. Would her sister not be her sister anymore if Angie didn't give up her kidney to save Kayla's father? Presumably we can assume that was the whole reason she was on the DNA site, right? I feel like I'd be pissed if I was one of her mothers. Like I'd have to respect what she wanted to do with her body, but I'd be furious at her being put in that position or feeling like she owes them something.

I know it's a little thing but it really does bug me that Carrie in her first ep said it was no shock that she was 100% Irish when she did her DNA and now says she was adopted. Would it have been so hard for the show to just have her say something else about her DNA, even if she's Rosie O'Donnell? Since they know they want her to obviously annoy Bette by saying she and Angie are adoptees? Not to mention suggest to someone that their life would be better if they reconnected with a mom she doesn't know? 

But re: the love triangle it seems like Carrie's just driving herself crazy and is never going to get relief. In a family session with Angie of course she's going to be the least important person there. Given that we've now seen her twice please Tina by telling her Bette wants her back so Tina can insist Bette doesn't while obviously hoping it's true. 

• Love 1

Guessing Gigi is the modern day Bette?

I actually agree with Bette re: Angie checking to see if she's a match. I cannot believe that Kayla tried to find her half sister for that purpose.  Angie is 17 years old. Marcus if he does accept the kidney is an ass.  While I think that Angie should meet him and get to know him before he goes, I would draw the line at the donating thing.

Carrie is all about Carrie.  I don't think Tina put Carrie 3rd. She put Carrie 2nd.  But to me it seems that Carrie wants Tina to take care of her and put her first.

Surprised to see Cherie back. Never liked her character even in the original series. 

I actually am liking Micah this season. I love the storyline of him and Mirabel (?)

I loved the old couple that were interviewed. It just goes to show you that anyone from Gen X and younger are willing to just end things and not work things out while the older gen tries to make relationships work.

I can't believe that Alice the idiot let those lobsters go back in the ocean while the rubber bands on. But I wonder if she will hook up with the guy.

I see the whole poker thing just blowing up in Shane's face.

• Love 1

I actually am liking Micah this season. I love the storyline of him and Mirabel (?)

Me too. They both seem like really nice people and good friends so their evolution to a couple made sense to me. I hope it works out for those two crazy kids.

Carrie is all about Carrie.  I don't think Tina put Carrie 3rd. She put Carrie 2nd.  But to me it seems that Carrie wants Tina to take care of her and put her first.

I tried to like her. I really did. But I just don't. Some of it is that I'm not really a fan of Rosie O'Donnell's and I can separate the character from the actor. But I just find her sort of annoying and she seems to take every situation she is in and make it more tense and difficult. 

I see the whole poker thing just blowing up in Shane's face.

Yeah - I keep waiting for that to happen and I wonder if Finley's burdgeoning alcoholism is going to contribute to that explosion in some way.

My favorite scenes are turning out to be Angie and Shane. Shane so clearly loves Angie and wants what's best for her. I like how she treats Angie like a gown up and doesn't talk down to her; and really sort of tells her like it is. I'm glad Angie has Shane as a support when she feels like she can't talk to her mom.

• Love 2
On 9/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, sistermagpie said:

I was surprised nobody said anything in response to Angie saying that she's willing to give up a kidney to not lose...was she supposed to be referring to her dad who shared her DNA? 

I know it's a little thing but it really does bug me that Carrie in her first ep said it was no shock that she was 100% Irish when she did her DNA and now says she was adopted. Would it have been so hard for the show to just have her say something else about her DNA, even if she's Rosie O'Donnell? Since they know they want her to obviously annoy Bette by saying she and Angie are adoptees? Not to mention suggest to someone that their life would be better if they reconnected with a mom she doesn't know? 

But re: the love triangle it seems like Carrie's just driving herself crazy and is never going to get relief. In a family session with Angie of course she's going to be the least important person there. Given that we've now seen her twice please Tina by telling her Bette wants her back so Tina can insist Bette doesn't while obviously hoping it's true. 

Angie's biological Dad is sick and needs a kidney.  I thought that was made pretty clear.

Regarding Carrie, I don't understand how the fact that she was adopted affects her ethnicity  I would assume she did a DNA test which said she was 100% Irish.  Plus, didn't she say she met her birth mother which would further support her ancestry?

12 minutes ago, Dminches said:

Angie's biological Dad is sick and needs a kidney.  I thought that was made pretty clear.

Yes, that was clear--not sure what I said that seemed like I thought it wasn't? But when Angie was talking about being willing to give up her kidney, it sounded like she felt her father's death would result in more than just not having an ongoing potential relationship with one man she doesn't yet know. That seemed a good thing to talk about given that it seems that Kayla may very well have gotten her own DNA checked and wanted to meet Angie for the purpose of getting her kidney.

Regarding Carrie, I don't understand how the fact that she was adopted affects her ethnicity  I would assume she did a DNA test which said she was 100% Irish.  Plus, didn't she say she met her birth mother which would further support her ancestry?

Her being adopted would affect her ethnicity in that if she didn't know her birth parents, she wouldn't know her ethnicity, so it seemed odd for her to act like it was a given she was 100% Irish. It would be no surprise for the actress because she knows her parents and their families. If Carrie's mother was a stranger to her it seems unlikely she'd have a lot of knowledge of her mother's background and genealogy. Granted, they might have been implying in this ep that Carrie's mother was well-known to everybody and she'd just never met her, which would make it more possible. But it still seems unnecessarily contradictory since it seems more about the actress than the character anyway and they knew they wanted the character to say she identified with Angie's situation.

Edited by sistermagpie
On 9/7/2021 at 11:27 AM, sistermagpie said:

Her being adopted would affect her ethnicity in that if she didn't know her birth parents, she wouldn't know her ethnicity, so it seemed odd for her to act like it was a given she was 100% Irish.

Couldn't she confirm her identity by having a DNA test?  That would be more accurate than knowing your parents.

1 hour ago, Dminches said:

Couldn't she confirm her identity by having a DNA test?  That would be more accurate than knowing your parents.

It's not her knowing she's 100% Irish via DNA that doesn't fit, it's that she said how it was "no surprise" that she was 100% Irish, like she knew beforehand. You make a joke about DNA not being a surprise when you either know your family and their history already or if you're referring to some stereotype about yourself--like if you look like a certain race and your DNA confirms that you have at least some ancestry for that race. Carrie joked about it being "no surprise" that she was 100% Irish, which makes little sense if she didn't actually know much or potentially anything at all about her mother and her family. (There's nothing about her looks that screams 100% Irish.) 

I know it's a small thing, but it just reads like they stuck in a joke about a (not standard in the US) trait of Rosie O'Donnell's when they knew they were writing a character who specifically did not share this trait. And there was no reason for the line anyway!

Edited by sistermagpie

I hate Rosie O in this role. With the exception of A League of Their Own, I've never thought she was a particularly good actress and I think she and Laurel Holloman have ZERO chemistry. 

I feel like they keep hitting us over the head with these anvils that Bette and Tina are the OTP (and I wholeheartedly agree!) and so I wish they would just get on with it. Stop with the placeholder girlfriends for both of them. 

As an OG lover, I still find it hard to care about anyone that isn't Bette, Shane, Alice, Tina, or Angie. And was I supposed to be pleased by the return of Arquette? (I forget her actual name and her character's name.) She was such a non-entity in the original. Give me Sarah Shahi, damn it! 

• Love 2

My Christmas prep will never be finished in time because I've been bingeing this show, and loving it, except . . . .

I don't like to see the slow starvation death of any creature the butt of a slaps-forehead-I'm-such-a-goof-hyuk-hyuk joke.