Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: Quarterfinals 3

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'm afraid so. 

Yeah…..there are some stinkers tonight.  I do think most acts fell a little flat so far.  

I’m pulling for my NC girl,  Brooke.  I hope she does well. Fingers crossed.  Regardless, she’s getting good exposure.  So, there’s that. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m pulling for my NC girl,  Brooke.  I hope she does well. Fingers crossed.  Regardless, she’s getting good exposure.  So, there’s that. 

Good performance, I didn't like the song. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't go through. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Good performance, I didn't like the song. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't go through. 

I’m delighted!  I didn’t care for the song either, however, it’s a Billie Eilish song and she has so many fans……it should get her votes who are fans of Eilish. That’s my guess.  

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah…..there are some stinkers tonight.  I do think most acts fell a little flat so far.  

I liked her. Didn't know the song (I only know one Billie Eilish song), but it was a great performance. One of the few I paid attention to, frankly, and mostly because I remembered someone here knew her.

Watching the horror magician guy with the candles right now. I'd just like to point out that Sofia did not tap the number 13, she actually tapped the page before it and he turned another page before stopping.

I kind of liked what's-her-name's version of Take On Me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I condensed the whole show down to about 20 minutes.  Some of the acts fell flat for me too.  I agreed with Simon on the lady who does the quick-change thing.  Maybe it was the novelty of the first one that was better.  I'm not sure though.  Meh to the rest of it.  

• Love 3

They always give Brooke’s background story of being an indigenous American.  They often paint a dramatic story about the contestant on this show.  Recall the story and kids coming out when the husband of a woman killed in the Bryant helicopter crash?  They have not touched on a big story about Brooke’s family member.  I wonder if they know.  Maybe, she forbade it….I can’t post it, since it hasn’t appeared on the show.  Maybe, I can put in spoilers……not sure.  I can’t spoiler tag right now. Will put in spoiler tag tomorrow.  I’ll pm if you pm me though. 

Ok, here's my $0.02 as requested by no one. 

• Anica - good singer, I was bored by the song. Terrible light show. 
  • Brooke Simpson - like I said great performance, I didn't like the song. She will definitely be in the top 10, if not higher. Has a chance of winning. 
  • ChapKidz - y'know, I usually hate groups of dancers, and I hated the group that was on last week. I really liked these kids. (Kidz?) They had a good energy, and I didn't notice any mistakes. They should go through. 
  • Curtis Family - I really like them, but I agreed about the song. My kids sang Love Train when they graduated kindergarten. If they go through, they'll do something contemporary and get chastised by the judges for not "staying true to their roots." 
  • Keith Apicary - the joke's over. He's in Sethward territory now. 
  • Klek Entos - meh. Lots of production value for a trick we've all seen before. 
  • Lea Kyle - it was better last time. The pyro kind of swallowed the act. 
  • Michael Winslow - so cringey and painful to watch. 
  • Rialcris - I don't usually like this kind of act, but they did do tricks I haven't seen before. Decent shot of moving on. 
  • Storm Large - the song didn't help her. She started to feel it towards the end. Good shot at moving on. 
  • Unicircle Flow - one of them fell, and the red on red didn't help. I found it boring. 
  • World Taekwondo - much better last time. I just want to see them jumping and kicking wood. No idea what was going on in the beginning. 
  • Love 4

Why is Keith on this show? WTF did I just watch? How can anyone like this? Where’s the talent? How can anyone like this over any of the other acts, that are actually skilled? Sofia, Heidi and Howie said he was funny? Where? I didn’t see anything funny. I’m losing brain cells watching this shit. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Overall, I liked the acts better this week.  There were still some things I didn't enjoy, but I think there were acts that would have gone through last week that might not this week.

I liked Lea Kyle better than most of the comments above--I think she's incredibly good at what she does, though I'm not sure how you sustain it for an entire Vegas show.  Maybe spend more time showing off the fashions, or add some live music?  And you'd probably want to add another kind of magic, though "quick change" is several kinds of technique to get the same outcome, and she showcased that well.

• Love 2

A little late on my critics but better late than never I guess~

Anica - Good voice. Should go through.

Brooke Simpson - Another good voice although I didn't know the song.  I'm old and unless it's 70's, 80's and some 90's, I'm screwed!

ChapKidz - Dance group! Shmance group!  All the same after a while.

Curtis Family - I disagree with Simon.  This is who they are!  This is their thing!  Their whole identity is to dress up like the 70's and play that era of music.  They probably won't make it through but I really think they will be hurting themselves if they go current.

Keith Apicary - Uhhh no!  What bugs me about these controversial acts that go through the auditions is that they probably kept talented acts from advancing.

Klek Entos - The performance was too slow and at the end it looked like a hunted house ride you might find at a amusement park.

Lea Kyle - I liked her audition but really...what else can she do? 

Michael Winslow - I actually felt sorry for the guy.  He performed like he was still "someone important".

Rialcris - Another act that will find themselves either repeating things or just......repeating things! 

Storm Large - Her voice was good, but it really sounded like she was making the song up as it went along!  The song had no melody! Nada!

Unicircle Flow - I thought they were good and unique.  I see them going through.

World Taekwondo - Not as good as their audition but still the best of the night in my opinion!

• Love 1

I liked the Curtis family, but I think they need someone helping them on vocals and performance.  It’s as if they weren’t quite ready….just needed more practicing or something.  

Anica was good.

Brooke is my favorite. I only voted for her. I didn’t care for the song, but I think many out there do.  

I didn’t care much for the other acts. Just not for me.  

• Love 2

I watch on Hulu so am a day late, a dollar short, and never get to vote. Won't see the results until tomorrow.

I'm here for the circus acts. There are a million talent shows for singers and dancers, so those acts rarely interest me.

That said, I liked the group of 37(?) teenagers. That was really impressive synchronization for so many kids.

And in the circus theme, loved the quick-change artist, the Colombian acro / hand balancers, the taekwando act made for a Vegas stage, and the unicyclists (even though one fell, good recovery that didn't break the flow for the remainder of the act). Even some of the longer, cringe-worthy acts (the sound effects artist and the weird creepy demon magician) could be salvageable with some editing in a larger production.

• Love 1

I've been gone so I'm kinda late, not that anyone cares. Since I took notes, I might as well post them.

UniCircle -- Their pre act was so funny although now I don't remember what it was. Kids in Japan all learn to ride unicycles? Awesome! Of course Dickhead Howie had to point out one fell, he's such a jerk. But watching these guys makes me want to buy and try a unicycle. It's so cool. I love them.

Janis Joplin singer.

Clothes changer woman was lots of fun. I like her.

C Note Family singers ... there was a lot of screaming going on. I agreed with Howie and Simon's comments, shockingly.

Crazy Dancer Guy gets an X from Simon, the head judge who put him through to this round. I think he'd be good on a kid's show, so good luck on that.

Brooke the singer was good.

Balance Boys ... Best of the night! I love them. When the one guy did a blind back flip onto the other guy's hands, I yelled out loud! They were slow, methodical, strong and perfect. My fav act tonight.

Dance kids ... better than the orange and pink dancers from last week.

Storm Large won the wild card. Good luck.

Scary Guy picked the two best actors to help him. He should have picked Simon instead of Terry so Simon wouldn't be able to X him, which he did. Holding his hand over the flame brought back memories of G. Gordon Liddy, not a good thing. His act was so long I lost focus, but it ended up being a pretty good haunted-house routine.

Taekwondo guys rocked it. I wonder how the last guy landed though, the camera cropped him out so who knows. I was waiting for Howie to tell us the guy broke his leg or something.

• Love 3

I’m just curious as to how a large group would work doing a Vegas show for a number of months, if they won.  Do all those families in the act move to Vegas, kids change schools, parents get new jobs?  

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m just curious as to how a large group would work doing a Vegas show for a number of months, if they won.  Do all those families in the act move to Vegas, kids change schools, parents get new jobs?  

You can't think too deeply about such things, although it's a good exercise in existential thinking. I don't remember any groups winning this show, but maybe someone else does. I am thinking some of the best acts are part of a Vegas show though, right? Maybe some groups are included? Who knows!

The judges often talk about whether an act would make a good Vegas act, how they can envision them there. So, it’s supposed to be part of the evaluation.  Maybe, it the winning act can’t do it, they just lose out or they offer it to the runner up.  

On 8/27/2021 at 7:06 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Well the problem is thinking that they get a show for months on end. They don't. They get a 3 night engagement as the headliner (not the only act) of an AGT ensemble show. Most unmarketable acts disappear after that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4