Type keyword(s) to search

Reminiscence (2021)

Hanahope
  • Start Topic

This should tell you something when no one has already started a thread for this movie.  don't bother.  Waste of talents of Hugh Jackman and Thandie Newton.

Stupid movie about memories, trying to find a women Hugh is obsessed with that ties in another couple of minor characters.  way too much exposition, especially at the end.  It was cool seeing Miami all flooded, but the initial world building was poorly done.  

If you have to see, hopefully get someone with an HBO account and watch for free.

• Love 2

Great visuals, a well-designed world in terms of that (like Westworld) and I appreciate that they decided to do a neo-noir story (or techno-noir I suppose).  This film desperately wanted to be Blade Runner meets Chinatown and it wasn't even close.  A poor use of the actors and the story could have been much better. 

• Love 1

I would say we sort of enjoyed it, compared to other streaming movies available lately, especially on HBO (an admittedly low bar). We liked the world building, even if it didn’t entirely hold together. However, the story was overlong and repetitive; and I think fatally, Jackman came across as a weak unsympathetic character as the lead. Newton (now credited as Thandiwe) did a better job in a smaller part. I blame the script for a lot of this.

• Love 1

Hugh Jackman is extremely tall, he looked like a monster when I first saw him walking down the street.

The lady that left the earrings did not have holes in her ears to able able to wear said earrings.

The richest man in Miami said he would take care of his mistress, why is she living in the worst of the worst part of Miami?

I am not sure why there were not bridges to connect building on on side of the canal to the other.

There were a lot of people and not a lot of people, I couldn't figure out why. It seemed like a lot of buildings were empty, even though people didn't have places to live.

The movie had a solid hour worth of material, too bad it was two hours. Maybe the movie should have taken it's own advice and stopped the story somewhere in the middle.

• Love 1

The lady that left the earrings did not have holes in her ears to able able to wear said earrings.

She slid them off so easily makes it seem to be clip-ons.

The richest man in Miami said he would take care of his mistress, why is she living in the worst of the worst part of Miami?

Rich people stay rich by keeping their money. Also, some rich men like to think their mistresses like them for who they are, not their wealth so they don't extend anything to them. 

I loved the world building and chemistry between Jackman and Ferguson.  Also, it was a helluva lot less complicated than "Westworld'.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, benteen said:

Great visuals, a well-designed world in terms of that (like Westworld) and I appreciate that they decided to do a neo-noir story (or techno-noir I suppose).  This film desperately wanted to be Blade Runner meets Chinatown and it wasn't even close.  A poor use of the actors and the story could have been much better. 

Also Waterworld and Minority Report.

52 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The movie had a solid hour worth of material, too bad it was two hours. Maybe the movie should have taken it's own advice and stopped the story somewhere in the middle.

It was like the plot of a Lifetime movie but with an absolutely insane budget for one.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

She slid them off so easily makes it seem to be clip-ons.

But they showed a close-up of the earrings, they were not.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Hugh Jackman is extremely tall, he looked like a monster when I first saw him walking down the street.

I am not sure why there were not bridges to connect building on on side of the canal to the other.

There were a lot of people and not a lot of people, I couldn't figure out why. It seemed like a lot of buildings were empty, even though people didn't have places to live.

it appears at some point, the mistress left, or felt abandoned, and when she changed locations the rich man's son "could not" (i.e. would not) find her.  but yeah, they didn't explain at all why the mistress didn't contact the rich man beforehand.  

i'm sure some buildings were uninhabitable due to water, but yeah, there seemed to be a lot of places people could squat if they needed.

This wanted to be a Film Noir, old time Detective Movie but, it was mostly boring. Of course the woman turned out to be good in the end. Would have been more interesting if she was a villain.

Cliff Curtis and Thandi Newton were the best parts of the movie.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Waste of talents of Hugh Jackman and Thandie Newton.

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Cliff Curtis and Thandi Newton were the best parts of the movie.  

Thandiwe

• Love 1

I'd also like to single out Daniel Wu as Saint Joe for praise.  I knew it was a mistake for this film when they killed him so early.  He actually brought something to the table here as a villain. 

• Love 1
On 8/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, Hanahope said:

This should tell you something when no one has already started a thread for this movie.  don't bother.  Waste of talents of Hugh Jackman and Thandie Newton.

Stupid movie about memories, trying to find a women Hugh is obsessed with that ties in another couple of minor characters.  way too much exposition, especially at the end.  It was cool seeing Miami all flooded, but the initial world building was poorly done.  

If you have to see, hopefully get someone with an HBO account and watch for free.

Thanks for the heads up.  I was interested based on the visuals and the actors involved but I'm not going to waste my time (considering I have such little free time as it is) on something subpar.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:52 PM, AnimeMania said:

And another thing, if the mistress was going to the "Reminiscence?" center often why didn't they just wait outside for her to show up and follow her home. No need for a 3 month long "super con" "honey trap".

my thought on this is that they may have known her name, but didn't know what she looked like.  hence having to get the memory discs in Hugh's stash

I like that HBO Max is showing first run movies that are also in the theater. So I'm more inclined to watch more movies. 

This was a huge miss. Was it supposed to be some against-type casting to have Jackman be a total sadsack milquetoast? 

He got honey trapped and basically whined about it for the rest of his life. Literally. 

If you're in the pod memory thing for decades, how do you eat and pee? 

• Love 3