Type keyword(s) to search

The Prince - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

HBO Max animated satirical comedy center on Prince George and the Royal Family created by Gary Janetti (Family Guy, Will & Grace, Vicious) who also voices Prince George.  Other voice cast includes Frances La Tour (Queen Elizabeth), Dan Stevens (Prince Charles), Iwan Rheon (Prince William), Lucy Punch (Kate Middleton), Sophie Turner (Princess Charlotte),  Paul Anderson (Prince Louis)  Orlando Bloom (Prince Harry), Condola Rashad (Meghan Markles), Alan Cummings as Prince George's put upon valet Owen and Samuel Barrett as overwhelmed royal servant Douglas. 

A lot of negative press and comments about it as many don't find it fair for the series to lampoon a child. Actually, I think Janetti's actual Instagram pilloried George and the Royals more than the actual show did (he's pulled most, if not all of his IG posts about them).  In The Prince George is a slightly less megalomanical Stewie Griffith. He's more concerned with social standing and social media engagements than taking over the world and matricide. 

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Love 1

I forgot about Janetti's Instagram account which I did enjoy reading.  I think the show is pretty funny.  Better than The Windsors. I like a good parody and this one is pretty clever.  I'm about half way through and I'll probably binge the entirety today.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GussieK said:

I think it’s hysterical, and the drawing for the caricatures is so accurate. 

Particularly William and Philip!  They are definitely OTT, but really well done.

Edited by ichbin
spelling
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ichbin said:

Particularly William and Philip!  They are definitely OOT, but really well done.

Indeed. I can't stop laughing at how William's drawn.

And despite being staunchly Team H&M, I also can't stop laughing at the portrayal of Harry as completely clueless as to how a REFRIGERATOR works--"It's cold in there!"

And this priceless zinger--Kate saying she's going out, William snarking that the pubs aren't open yet, and she snarking right back that it's for a haircut and that he probably doesn't remember what that is.

• Love 3
On 7/31/2021 at 1:50 PM, ichbin said:

Better than The Windsors. 

Infinitely better than The Windsors!  Everyone likes what they like but I've seen people saying that people should watch "The Windsors" instead of "The Prince" , but I think they're not even giving "The Prince"  chance. They're down on it because they disapprove of its depiction of George. If they left the kids out of it I think more people would give it a chance or, at least, be less hostile about it. 

Since Janetti worked on "Family Guy", I can see the easy character comparisons between that, "American Dad" and "The Prince".   Camilla is essentially Meg because, like Meg she keeps getting crapped on.  Douglas and Terry are essentially Terry and Greg from "American Dad",  Prince Harry is Chris.

• Useful 1

More adults less kids!

I was LOL'ing at the portrayal of the adults especially the Queen.  Whoever voices her and wrote her lines is brilliant!  Prince Charles, poor Camilla, Kate, William, Harry, Megan--they're all terrific!

*sigh* the children though.  UGH not funny.  And I don't mean in an offensive way just simply NOT FUNNY way.  I could care less what Princess Charlotte is up to and Prince George *yawn* typical spoiled brat--his character just isn't interesting.  =(

Edited by Dirtybubble
Grammer
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

More adults less kids!

I was LOL'ing at the portrayal of the adults especially the Queen.  Whoever voices her and wrote her lines is brilliant!  Prince Charles, poor Camilla, Kate, William, Harry, Megan--they're all terrific!

*sigh* the children though.  UGH not funny.  And I don't mean in an offensive way just simply NOT FUNNY way.  I could care less what Princess Charlotte is up to and Prince George *yawn* typical spoiled brat--his character just isn't interesting.  =(

Although I have to say the illustrations are spot on from Charlotte's bow to Louis' eyebrows!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, lark37 said:

Although I have to say the illustrations are spot on from Charlotte's bow to Louis' eyebrows!

Yeah but that's not enough to make me watch the show.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:42 PM, AngieBee1 said:

Since Janetti worked on "Family Guy", I can see the easy character comparisons between that, "American Dad" and "The Prince".   Camilla is essentially Meg because, like Meg she keeps getting crapped on.  Douglas and Terry are essentially Terry and Greg from "American Dad", Prince Harry is Chris.

And Prince George is Stewie!  And now I realize why George's character seems tired and played out, because I've seen that exact same character for the past 20 years!

I do find Louis hysterical as the bouncer type total bruiser. I actually buy it that he might be the one that is kind of falling through the cracks because he is the youngest, so more "forgotten"  than the others. The Queen is great, I laugh so hard every time she says fuck.

Disclaimer: I love the royal family, I am a total Anglophile even though I am American, but satire is almost always funny to me.

This show does have a heart, the Owen and George relationship is very sweet.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was surprised at how much of a through-line there is. It's not strictly episodic with everything being resolved at the end of each like the entire arc of "Kevin",  Harry's career as a masseur, the slow fizzle of Douglas and Greg's marriage.  

I have to say I really love Dan Stevens as Prince Charles and Orlando Bloom as Harry.

The musical segment in Ep 10 was fantastic. It's not surprising it was so good with a cast of actors who also sing: Condola Rashad, Dan Stevens, Alan Cummings, Samuel Barrett, Iwan Rheon.

Edited by AngieBee1

The show is especially hysterical if you watch it stoned. The way the caricatures are drawn, with William's impossibly tall head and big teeth, and Charles' big dumbo ears, just slays me. 

But I agree with the consensus that they shouldn't have based the show around George. He's just a Stewie clone and the adult characters are infinitely funnier.

• Love 2