Type keyword(s) to search

Major League (1989)

magicdog
  • Start Topic

I noticed this underrated gem of a film has been appearing on movie channels lately.  Must be the recent changes made to the team.

It's on BOUNCE at the moment.

I saw this film in theaters back when it was first released (I was waiting to catch a plane and needed to kill some time before going to the airport to turn in the rental car).  I still enjoy seeing this film whenever it gets run.  Charlie Sheen was likeable, the story strong enough (rag tag team trying to defy their owner by winning the World Series out of spite) and the voodoo.

I wish I could see films like this in theaters again.  Something likeable, decent cast and story, and enjoyable.

• Love 8

Ooh I love this movie. And what appropriate timing for starting a thread, since the team just changed its name to Cleveland Guardians.

Of course the Wild Thing bit is the best part, but I love the dreary little opening with Randy Newman’s Cleveland song. I don’t know why, it’s just such a mood. Also loved the coach and his take-no-crap attitude, especially in that awkward locker room scene with the nasty owner.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

the nasty owner

So perfectly played by the late Margaret Whitton.  Her line delivery on "I hate this fucking song" is perfect, and this is one of the funniest lines of a movie full of them:

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Love this.  Watched it a couple of months ago.  So many great moments -here's a little one that always cracks me up - the 2 die hard fans doing the wave, lol.  Of course Bob Uecker and his pretty much silent partner "cheering" as fans too

• Love 4

I recorded this several months ago and have turned it on many times to fall asleep to. So many great lines and moments and I agree with @Bastet that "I hate this fucking song" was perfectly delivered.  I've said "Are you trying to tell me that you don't think Jesus Christ can hit a curve ball?!" a lot over the years. And, it was hard to sit through Little League baseball without saying "Ju-ust a bit outside." at least once.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

Definitely a "if it's on I watch" movie for me. Like @Shannon L. I use the "Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball" line a lot, and also "Hey Bartender, Jobu needs a refill!"

"You cant say Damn on the air". Don't worry Monty nobody's listening anyway 

• LOL 5

It really bugged me after I learned Snipes is not really fast at all. It's why when Hayes is at his fastest, it's in slow mo. It's a bit a movie magic I wish I never heard. The movie is still great and no knock on Omar Epps but this franchise suffered greatly when they lost Snipes.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:07 PM, RunningMarket said:

Definitely a "if it's on I watch" movie for me. Like @Shannon L. I use the "Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball" line a lot, and also "Hey Bartender, Jobu needs a refill!"

I love the whole Jobu saga.  Harris goes from being an unbelieving asshole to Jobu convert while Cerrano finally figures out how to hit a curveball without asking for Jobu's intercession.  I also say "I should have gotten a live chicken" when I'm in the weeds due to half-assing a task.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also say "I should have gotten a live chicken" when I'm in the weeds due to half-assing a task.

That's one of several things this film lifted from Bull Durham, but I don't even care -- I love both films, and BD is the better one, but this is the one I watch most often.

As I've said before, "I hate this fucking song" and, especially "Cross him off then" are two of my favorite lines (RIP Margaret Whitton), but this whole film is so quotable.

I don't golf, but if I'm ever around a golf bag where the clubs have covers, I say "hats for bats".

And I was utterly delighted to have someone I knew was an equally big fan of the film offer me something great, so I could say, "Let me think it over, will ya, I've got a guy on the other line about some whitewalls." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's one of several things this film lifted from Bull Durham, but I don't even care -- I love both films, and BD is the better one, but this is the one I watch most often.

Did the filmmakers admit to lifting that from Bull Durham? Because the two movies came out a year apart and Major League would have been in the filming stage when Bull Durham was released.

• Useful 1

Did they admit to it? That I'm not sure but if I had a nickel for every 80's baseball movie that involved voodoo and needing a live chicken/rooster to lift a curse I'd have ten cents, which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice. (Thank you, Phineas and Ferb.)

• LOL 5