Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E19: Elann

• Start Topic

Season Finale

Unable to process the untimely deaths of her father and brother, Elann obliterates her emotions with vodka; seeing her daughter's mental health in steep decline, her mother believes this intervention is the only hope for her.

Original Air Date: 07/12/2021

Well damn. At the end I just had a feeling watching her talk that she wasn't going to stay sober, because something just looked off. She didn't seem like she really believed all the things she was saying about her sobriety and her relationship with her mom...but I didn't expect that gut punch ending. She seemed like she could be a really fun person when she wasn't in her addiction and mental illness. Her poor mother. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

I couldn't read the ending quick enough but did it say she took her life?

Yes.  A few months later 

Elann appeared to worship her brother and her father much more than most daughters do.  I do not think that she was actually treated badly - rather that her Dad just was the kind of guy that  thought boys did stuff with Dad as they got older and girls did stuff with Mom. Yet Elann didn’t want her Mom until after her Dad died. 

Elann was all about Elann.  She never realized that her Mom also lost a marriage, then the father of her children. Yes, they were divorced but they had a history. Then her son. Based upon the fact that the grandchild was never mentioned..I guess the grandchild was lost to the family too.  Then Tracy spends the next 10 years watching her daughter drink herself to almost death. 

• Love 2

Elann looked so much like her mom, it was eerie.

3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Elann appeared to worship her brother and her father much more than most daughters do.  I do not think that she was actually treated badly - rather that her Dad just was the kind of guy that  thought boys did stuff with Dad as they got older and girls did stuff with Mom. Yet Elann didn’t want her Mom until after her Dad died. 

This. Some people are just not built for this world and I think Elann may have been one of those people. Since she was a child it was said that she always felt like she didn’t get enough love from her parents, specifically her dad. It was said that the parents thought the son hung the moon but didn’t tout her accomplishments. I don’t know if that was true or just Elan’s screwed perception of the situation. Don’t know what her dad was like but her mom came off very warm. I too don’t think she was mistreated. 

It was very sad hearing about the tragedies the family endured. The poor mom…she’s pretty much lost her entire family. Don’t know if she has any contact with her grandchild. At least she has her husband. Though I know he cannot fill the chasm left by the loss of her children and ex-husband.

6 hours ago, sara416 said:

Well damn. At the end I just had a feeling watching her talk that she wasn't going to stay sober, because something just looked off. She didn't seem like she really believed all the things she was saying about her sobriety and her relationship with her mom...but I didn't expect that gut punch ending. She seemed like she could be a really fun person when she wasn't in her addiction and mental illness. Her poor mother. 

I agree. I liked her personality. I did agree with the step-father. Elann was broken. I can’t say I was surprised about her ending. She stayed falling down drunk almost 24/7. It reminded me of Robby from S16. Sadly I knew she wouldn’t make it. She’d made her decision to die a long time ago. She was just bidding her time, and building the courage to do it. This was heart wrenching. My thoughts are with her mom. 

• Love 2

Here is some more information about Elann's death.  So sad.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/opioid-overdose-awareness-day-campbell-river-mother-tracy-masters-1.5266735

A Campbell River, B.C., woman who lost her daughter to an opioid overdose hopes others can be helped with more understanding and support for people affected by addictions. 

Tracy Masters' daughter Elann died in March at age 30.

Another article here states that it was "an intentional overdose" said she was doing well before a relapse in January 2019.

https://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/tragedy-leads-to-hope-for-masters-family/

• Useful 4

I know an addiction is never as simple as the sum of all pains. But this was one of those stories where I just had pity for Elann. To lose your dad to suicide (which has to feel like abandonment) and then face the sudden death of your young, healthy brother? I'd want to numb all that out, too. Utter tragedy all around.

Poor, poor Tracy.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, IvySpice said:

I know an addiction is never as simple as the sum of all pains. But this was one of those stories where I just had pity for Elann. To lose your dad to suicide (which has to feel like abandonment) and then face the sudden death of your young, healthy brother? I'd want to numb all that out, too. Utter tragedy all around.

Poor, poor Tracy.

There are some Intervention stories where you think "No wonder you do drugs." Elann is one. When her friend said Elann felt like "why wasn't I enough for my father to want to live?" I teared up. I went to elementary school with someone whose father died by suicide and he said the same thing later when we were teenagers.

Ugh, this Canadian season has had so much relapse and now it ends with a death. Hope Elann's mother is successful in how she is trying to change the system. 

Elann looked great in that last picture of her. I wonder if she was being treated for depression. Surely that was diagnosed once they sobered her up. 

Fentanyl laced opioids are lethal…that’s what Tom Petty and Prince died from. I got chills when I saw she had committed suicide. I think one of the big problems with this family was a history of depression. Elann’s father had depression and committed suicide. When she lost her father she should have started therapy and maybe she would have taken another path instead of self medicating with alcohol and drugs. So many losses in her life…I don’t think her mother was equipped to deal with this after she lost her son. I hope the mother is getting counseling and is healing. Very sad ending to a very sad story.