Type keyword(s) to search

Wellington Paranormal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

In the first co-acquisition partnership between The CW and HBO Max, the broadcaster and streamer have acquired Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi’s “Wellington Paranormal,” a spinoff from their 2014 movie “What We Do in the Shadows.” The horror comedy will premiere on The CW July 11, and episodes will then be available the next day to stream on HBO Max (as well as on the ad-supported CW app and CWTV.com).

The show follows the police characters from “What We Do in the Shadows,” Officers O’Leary (played by Karen O’Leary) and Minogue (played by Mike Minogue). As part of the Wellington paranormal unit, they investigate local supernatural activity — of which there is a surprising amount — as supervised by Sergeant Maaka (Maaka Pohatu).

“Wellington Paranormal” has aired for three seasons in New Zealand, and The CW and HBO Max has acquired all three 

WP_3840x2160_poster_Horizontal_Textless2

Wellington Paranormal is a New Zealand mockumentary comedy horror television series which is a spin-off from the 2014 film "What We Do in the Shadows". Wellington Paranormal follows the two inept New Zealand Police Officers from the film, Officer Kyle Minogue played by Mike Minogue and Officer O’Leary played by Karen O’Leary, as they investigate cases in one of the most monster-infested places in the world. The show focuses on Officers Minogue and O'Leary and their Sergeant, Ruawai Maaka played by Maaka Pohatu as they encounter one spooky thing after another.

Series 1 was 6 episodes and aired in July/August of 2018. A New Zealand Police Recruitment video and four Police Safety Campaign videos starring the TV characters were released in 2018. Series 2 was also 6 episodes and aired in October/November of 2019. A Christmas Special aired in December of 2019. A series of 16 Webisodes called "Important COVID-19 Messages from Wellington Paranormal" were created with the New Zealand Police to promote safe COVID-19 practices, began releasing in March of 2020. Series 3 was 6 episodes and aired in February/March of 2021. Series 4 is currently in production.

• Useful 1

S01.E01: Demon Girl

WPN101_0001.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

SEASON PREMIERE – Officers O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) and Minogue (Mike Minogue) have an encounter with the demon Bazu’aal when it descends upon Wellington leaving no man – or beast – untouched.  Jemaine Clement directed the episode written by himself and Paul Yates (#101).  The CW original airdate 7/11/2021 @ 9pm

The doggy was the best part of the episode.

S01.E02: Cop Circles

WPN102_0003.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

BEAM ME UP – O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) and Minogue (Mike Minogue) investigate possible alien activity in the Wellington countryside.  Jemaine Clement directed the episode written by Melanie Bracewell (#102). The CW original airdate 7/11/2021 @ 9:30pm

I wonder if they really were Extra-terresticles, since the images of the aliens had some of their parts blurred. I wonder if the blurring was also done in the New Zealand broadcast? 

• Love 1

Unfortunately, this was nowhere near the comedic brilliance that is WWDITS. It seemed to be one of those "celebration of idiots" comedies, where everyone is obliviously stupid. I'll give it another chance, but 3 may be my limit.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Unfortunately, this was nowhere near the comedic brilliance that is WWDITS. It seemed to be one of those "celebration of idiots" comedies, where everyone is obliviously stupid. I'll give it another chance, but 3 may be my limit.

I feel like I read somewhere that season 2 is when it actually gets fun and that season 1 really isn't worth watching at all (unfortunately). But do we know, are they burning through all the seasons right away on the CW? Because if they are, and doing 2-at-once, then the first season will only last 3 weeks and then we get to the reportedly good stuff. So here's hoping!

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I feel like I read somewhere that season 2 is when it actually gets fun and that season 1 really isn't worth watching at all (unfortunately). But do we know, are they burning through all the seasons right away on the CW? Because if they are, and doing 2-at-once, then the first season will only last 3 weeks and then we get to the reportedly good stuff. So here's hoping!

That's good to know, regarding s2 since I'm wondering why I'm watching! Taika Waititi is usually excellent. Ratings for both episodes was 0.0, which is probably the lowest rating of any show ever! Yikes. Does not bode well. Only one per week going forward, don't know how many seasons we'll see, but if the ratings don't increase, probably not even the full s1!

Here's an interesting article that explains some things.  https://screenrant.com/wellington-paranormal-taika-waititi-2018-us-debut/  WP actually predates the WWDITS tv show, so it's a spinoff of the movie.

• Useful 2

If you watch the episodes on HBO Max, the episodes are uncut. There was a pretty funny joke in the second episode that was missed on the CW....it came after the line about "If we identify one of the UFOs, doesn't it then become an....FO?"  Sergeant Maaka replies "I'll tell you what, why don't you two F.O." and makes them leave the room. 😄

The penis aliens were still blurred out in the original episode though. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

S01.E03: 70’s Ghost (CW Title)/Things That Do Bump in the Night (HBO Max Title)/Things That Do the Bump in the Night (New Zealand Title)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsn6fFDm1QbFsj6h860P-

WHO YA GONNA CALL? – Officers O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) and Minogue (Mike Minogue) investigate a noise complaint and stumble on a mysterious party.  Jackie van Beech directed the episode written by Nick Ward (#103). Original airdate 7/18/2021 @ 9pm

(edited)

I believe the CW is going to air all of Series 1 and all of Series 2 including the Christmas Special.

S01.E04: She-Wolf (CW Title)/The She Wolf of Kurimarama Street (HBO Max & New Zealand Title)

CRYING WOLF – Officers O'Leary and Minogue investigate what they believe are dog attacks, but stumble upon something more mysterious…and vicious. Jackie van Beech directed the episode written by Jessica Hansell  (#104). The CW original airdate 7/25/2021 @ 9pm

WPN104_0003.jpg

WPN104_0002.jpg

WPN104_0001.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I guess it doesn't really behoove the CW to pull original programming during the summer when reruns of anything else probably aren't going to do any better, but the fact that this show is consistently pulling a 0.0 in the ratings is slightly alarming. 😬

• Love 2

It's a slow burn, but I love it.  Is it slap happy?  Yes.  I just enjoy watching something that I can suspend belief and just giggle.  Is it an award winner?  I don't know yet, but I do find it wicked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, AnimeMania said:

I thought Episode 4 was very funny, although I had trouble understanding what they were saying.

Closed Captioning is your friend! I rely on it and I'm not hearing impaired. Your TV or Cable manual will tell you how to turn it on. Pretty easy.

• Love 4

I'm going camping and plan to download the next 3 episodes for spooky camping night time watching.  Yes, i'm one of those people who actually takes electronics camping (but I blame the child who will be with us!!!).  ;)

• Love 1

S01.E05: Vampire (CW Title)/A Normal Night (HBO Max & New Zealand Title)

wpn105-0001-1024x683.jpg

wpn105-0002-1024x683.jpg

OH, WHAT A NIGHT! – Over the course of a single night, Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) encounter a series of incidents including a suspicious plastic bag, a gang of creepy clowns, a human sacrifice ritual, and a theft from the hospital blood bank.  Also starring Maaka Pohatu.  Sam Smith wrote the episode directed by Jemaine Clement (#105). Original airdate 8/1/21 @ 9pm. 

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1

I think I liked the ghost party better than the werewolf episode. I love the big dumb Minogue but I'm staying for straight gal O'Leary. 

Edited to add:

OMG! Just saw the latest episode and it was stupid funny. Nick the Vampire, clowns, bag ghost... I'm dying! Minogue and the taser had me crying.

Edited by hatchetgirl
Add stuff
  • Love 4

S01.E06: Zombie Cops 

ONCE BITTEN – Things go awry when a Zombie is brought in for questioning. Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) patrol Wellington to ward off an infiltration of the undead. Jemaine Clement directed the episode written by himself and Paul Yates (#106). Original airdate 8/8/2021 @ 9pm.

wpn106-0001.jpg

wpn106-0002-683x1024.jpg

wpn106-0003-1024x683.jpg

• Love 2

S01.E07: The Not Ness Monster (CW Title)/S02.E01: Taniwha (New Zealand Title)/S02.E01: The Not Ness Monster (HBO Max Title)

WHAT LIES BENEATH – Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O'Leary) head for the ocean, joined by Sergeant Maaka (Maaka Pohatu), when 10 anglers disappear from around Wellington Harbour in mysterious circumstances. Dean Hewison directed the episode written by Nick Ward, Paul Yates and Amanda Alison (#201). Original airdate 8/15/2021 @ 9pm.

wpn201-0006-f-1024x683.jpg

wpn201-0002-f-1024x683.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2
On 7/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, AheadofStraight said:

The silliness/idiocy reminded us a bit of Reno 911 but we need some silly in our lives so we're sticking with it, especially since I also heard it gets better.

I'm finally catching up now and was coming here to say just that! This feels much more in the Reno 911! family than the What We Do in the Shadows family, and once I embraced that I started having a lot more fun. (Both are great, but function very differently)

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

S01.E08: Fear the Briannas (CW Title)/S02.E02: Fear the Briannas (HBO Max & New Zealand Title)

POWER OF THREE – Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) investigate at a local girls’ high school when three teen witches start threatening students.  Also starring Maaka Pohatu.  Jackie van Beek directed the episode written by Amanda Alison (#202). Original airdate 8/22/2021 @ 9pm.   

WPN203_0002_f.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

MV5BZjkwYTQxMjYtNWJlZi00OTMzLTk3ZjQtNzE5

MV5BMDRiOTE3MzktYjZiZi00NTA5LTk2MmQtYzk2

S01.E09: Mt. Victoria (Vic) Hooters/S02.E03:  Mt. Vic Hooters (HBO Max & New Zealand Title)

OLD SCHOOL GHOUL – Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) mistakenly free the ghost of a 1930’s cop whose immediate mission is to get things back to the “good ol’ days.”  Also starring Maaka Pohatu.  Tim van Dammen directed the episode written by Melanie Bracewell (#203). Original airdate 8/29/2021 @ 9pm.

WPN203_0001_f.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

MV5BYzU3ZjA1ZGYtNmE3Yi00Yjg5LWEyNjUtZDJi

• Love 1

I thought this was one of the better ones. Might be because we have a tiled tunnel in DC (runs through Rock Creek Park under Calvert St NW) where it is "traditional" to honk one's horn while going through. I wouldn't try that during rush hour though! I felt a bit ashamed when they were putting up the sign, but I haven't done it in years. I wonder how many ghosts we've kept under wraps over the decades! 👻😀

09685r.jpg

Edited by Ms Lark
To add photo.
  • Love 4

S01.E10: Copy Cops/S02.E04: Copy Cops (HBO Max & New Zealand Title)

SEEING DOUBLE – When Sergeant Maaka (Maaka Pohatu) brings Minogue’s (Mike Minogue) dead doppelgänger into the station, Officers O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) and Minogue go looking for answers and come face to face with…themselves.

Original airdate 9/5/2021 @ 9pm.

MV5BZTY3NDQzN2ItYmUyNy00N2YzLTliZTAtYzZl

WPN204_0002_f-871be5e19a4f6857.jpg

S01.E11: The Haunting of the '85 Nissan 300ZX ZR Turbo (CW Title)/S02.E05: Haunted Nissan (New Zealand Title)

UNLICENSED TO DRIVE – O’Leary (Karen O'Leary) and Minogue (Mike Minogue) investigate a car stolen under very mysterious circumstances. Meanwhile, Sergeant Maaka (Maaka Pohatu) breaks the news that he must downsize the Paranormal Unit. Jackie van Beek directed the episode written by Paul Yates (#205). Original airdate 9/19/21 @ 9pm.

WPN205_0002_f-51b0f5adc137d0fc.jpg

MV5BOTRmZDhlMDItNDBhOC00MzFlLWJmYzctODgw

Edited by AnimeMania

S01.E12: Mobots (CW Title)/S02.E06: Mobots (New Zealand Title)

SEASON FINALE? (There may be one more episode next week)

Officer Minogue (Mike Minogue) meets Officer O’Leary’s (Karen O’Leary) mom when they use “Mrs. Mom’s” (Lynda Topp) house for a stakeout to investigate why a mass quantity of obsolete electronics go missing.  Also starring Maaka Pohatu.  Jemaine Clement wrote and directed the episode (#206).  Original airdate 9/26/21 @ 9pm.

MV5BMDdkNzkxZTctNGIwZC00MDg3LTg4NmYtNzJm

S02.E07: Twas the Patrol Before Christmas

AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT – In this spooky festive special, Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) attend to a number of different paranormal events on a busy Christmas Eve patrol.  Also starring Maaka Pohatu.  Dean Hewison directed the episode written by Paul Yates. (#207) Original Airdate 11/27/2021 @ 8:30pm.  

Wellington-Paranormal-Twas-the-Patrol-Be

• Love 1

Two New Episodes Tonight!

S03E01: The Invisible Fiend    

SEASON PREMIERE – Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) are back on the case for the season three U.S. premiere... this time hunting down a monstrous invisible force.

Airdate: June 22, 2022     9:00pm     CW      
p19525032_e_v9_aa.jpg
MV5BNzRlYzk4NzItNTA1Ni00MWQ2LWEwNGUtZmM5
WPN301_0009.jpg

S03E02: Te Maero

SEASON PREMIERE – In the second episode of the season three premiere, Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) find footage of a camper being abducted by a large hairy creature and decide to head for the bush. Sargeant Maaka (Maaka Pohatu) believes it to be a Sasquatch-type creature from Maori mythology... but the Officers must find out for themselves.

Airdate: June 22, 2022     9:30pm     CW      
MV5BMWZiODAxMmEtOWI2Mi00NGM2LWFkOGQtOTM0
WPN302_0032_f.jpg
WPN302_0014_f.jpg

I'm so glad I stumbled upon the return of this show while looking through my cable company's guide. I don't normally watch the CW, so never saw any ads for it. There's been a little too much Parker in the first eps for my taste, but still loving the show.

S03E03: Fear Factory

THE STUFF OF NIGHTMARES - While out on patrol, Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O'Leary (Karen O’Leary) encounter a series of people who've been attacked by manifestations of their worst nightmares.  It soon becomes apparent that all of the victims have one thing in common... a recent, terrifying trip to an amusement house.

Airdate: June 29, 2022     9:00pm     CW      
p19585817_e_h9_aa.jpg
wellington-paranormal.jpg
MV5BOTg5MjhjY2ItZThjZC00NDBmLWFlMmUtMTFk

S03E04: The Sevens Ghosts    

WHERE’S MINOGUE? – The sudden disappearance of similarly dressed individuals sends Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O’Leary (Karen O’Leary) searching for a group of ghostly rugby fans dressed as “Where’s Wally?”  Meanwhile, Sergeant Maaka (Maaka Pohatu) is doing some searching of his own... for a new flatmate.

Airdate: July 6, 2022     9:00pm     CW            
p19607610_e_h9_aa.jpg
MV5BMDFmNWZmMWYtNzFjYi00MmQzLWIzOTgtMWMz

S03E05: The Revengers    

INTERGALACTIC VIGILANTE - A Meteor strike gives superpowers to a Neighborhood Watch group, who soon decide to take the law into their own hands. It's now up to Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O'Leary (Karen O’Leary) to take back their power.

Airdate: July 13, 2022     9:00pm     CW 
MV5BODU2OWM0MWMtNjA5ZS00ZDFlLTliNDAtZjA2

• LOL 1

S03E06: Fatberg

BEWARE THE BLOB! - When a large, congealed blob of fat in the Wellington sewers becomes sentient, Officers Minogue (Mike Minogue) and O'Leary (Karen O’Leary) go underground to confront the monster.

Airdate: July 20, 2022     9:00pm     CW 
MV5BNTFhOGQ3M2YtNWU5ZS00YWJiLTlmN2MtMDVm
MV5BMDFjODBiMzktNjFmNi00NDRmLWIzY2QtMTg1

S04E01: Bird Woman

(Season 4 Premiere)    

Minogue and O'Leary tackle a half bird/half human that's been stealing shiny objects from around Wellington, including the 'W' from the Wellington sign.
Waitahi Aniwaniwa as Beverly
Anika Moa as Birdwoman

Airdate: June 27, 2022     9:00pm     CW  
MV5BMDk1NThiZmItYjU1ZS00MDdiLWI0NTktMTE3

• Love 1

S04E02: Wicked Man     

When a not-so-young 'girl' goes missing, O'Leary and Minogue search for her on the mysterious Sales Island, run by a weird, goat-worshipping cult.

Airdate: August 3, 2022     9:00pm     CW
MV5BYmE1NjBmYjktMzZjNS00ZjdkLWIzMzEtNmU4

S04.E03: The Coolening    

After giving a talk at a high school, Minogue and O'Leary confiscate a haunted leather jacket that makes whoever wears it cool, something neither Minogue nor O'Leary are used to.

Airdate: August 10, 2022     9:00pm     CW
MV5BM2IzN2VmNTAtOTNiYy00OWMwLTgyMWItZDFi

• Love 1

S04.E04: Skeleton Crew    

When workmen disturb a Pakeha burial ground underneath the police station, an annoying old Caucasian ghost possesses Sarge who then menaces his own officers.

Airdate: August 17, 2022     9:00pm     CW
MV5BZDM2NzY2ODctMWY5OC00MDIzLTgzOTgtNTE5

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

When workmen disturb a Pakeha burial ground underneath the police station, an annoying old Caucasian ghost possesses Sarge who then menaces his own officers.

Airdate: August 17, 2022     9:00pm     CW
MV5BZDM2NzY2ODctMWY5OC00MDIzLTgzOTgtNTE5

I've got two repeats listed for tonight on my cable company's guide, Mobots and The Invisible Fiend, but I'll DVR just in case this shows up.

2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I've got two repeats listed for tonight on my cable company's guide, Mobots and The Invisible Fiend, but I'll DVR just in case this shows up.

OK, I found it, 

Airdate: August 31, 2022     9:00pm     CW

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

OK, I found it, 

Thanks! Will definitely set my DVR. Looking forward to that ep because Maaka is always hilarious.

Airdate: August 24, 2022     9:00pm     CW

S04.E05: Who the Hell    

On a typical night patrol. Minogue and O'Leary get to the bottom of a series of mysterious curses while Officer Parker gets a new partner.

MV5BZDBlNWE4NWQtYTMzMC00MmNhLTg0YzctNzE3

S04.E06: Time Cop

(Series Finale)    
It's the final episode ever! Minogue and O'Leary go back in time to the 90s but on returning, discover they've created an apocalyptic new timeline where Sarge was never a cop.

Airdate: August 31, 2022     9:30pm     CW
MV5BNDZjYTgzNDYtY2UwNy00MTVkLTgwNTgtYWY4

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Sad 1