Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Dangerous Intruder

• Start Topic

Alma takes matters into her own hands after persuading Bertram to ease Carlo's suffering. Meanwhile, Rita ensnares Scooter in her plot to blackmail Catherine and Vern's feelings for Dee grow.

Streaming July 1, 2021

This episode is titled after the 1945 film noir starring Veda Ann Borg and Charles Arnt.  It's about a woman who, after being accidentally hit by a car, recovers at the home of the driver, who may be a murderer.

It's delightful that just as Bertram's decided to give up his ways, Alma's ready for him to dispose of Carlo.  And then she managed to get him to agree by convincing him that Carlo beat up Rita.  She even went so far as to draw him a map!

Dee slapping Rita was in the trailer, but I still enjoyed seeing it happen in the moment.

Rita and Isabel have killed someone before!  And they're cousins?!  That they're cousins surprised me more than the murder.

For a severely dressed, seemingly repressed spinster, Catherine sure did seem to get into sex with Scooter!  And Alma and Bertram having sex after killing Carlo was also something of a shock. I guess Alma and Bertram are having fun thinking of themselves as Bonnie and Clyde (but with cookies), but they do not seem to be considering what happened to Bonnie and Clyde in the end.

In certain corners of the Internet there are people disappointed that there aren't three timelines this season, but I really like how the characters and storylines present this season are connecting with each other.

• Love 9

Alma takes matters into her own hands after persuading Bertram to ease Carlo's suffering. Meanwhile, Rita ensnares Scooter in her plot to blackmail Catherine and Vern's feelings for Dee grow.

...and...should we add that Scooter's feelings for Catharine are growing? If Scooter winds up really falling in love with Catharine, I wouldn't mind if he gets to live in the big house while Rita cools her heels in the Big House (prison).
But I can also imagine Rita pinning it on Scooter.

TV Fanatic has been doing some nicely thorough recaps/reviews.
Here's this week's: tvfanatic.com/2021/06/why-women-kill-season-2-episode-5-review-they-made-me-a-killer/
--which includes this musing, which I'm guessing most viewers considered or were at least supposed to consider: 

The way Vern snapped photos as the lightning flashed was skillful and added even more excitement to what was happening because all it would have taken was a quick look in his direction for Catherine to catch on to his act.

Unless I'm wrong, Alma's head was in at least one of Vern's photos. She was gawking at Catherine and Scooter at the very time Vern was snapping away.

That could really complicate things for Dee and Vern. 

I wonder if Vern is not able to have children of his own due to his war injuries?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Did I miss them moving Mrs. Yost? The gardeners were replacing the destroyed plants and should’ve found her, no? Another example of how Alma has changed, though, not doing her own gardens.

I liked the payoff of Carlo using the exercise ball to strengthen his grip.

I figure Alma will be in Vern’s photos. Is he her next victim?

Only two episodes left!

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Did I miss them moving Mrs. Yost? The gardeners were replacing the destroyed plants and should’ve found her, no?

Oh! Right! 🤨
I think we were supposed to be thinking about Chekhov's garden since the end of the previous episode. 

• Maybe a gardener will blackmail Alma and Bert? 
  • Or maybe Alma will blame the body on "the person" (dropping hints that would lead to Rita) who destroyed her garden and sent a threatening "your family will be next" letter.
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

I liked the payoff of Carlo using the exercise ball to strengthen his grip.

Yes, they had too much screen time on Carlo having grabbed Bert to not revisit that too.

I figure Alma will be in Vern’s photos. Is he her next victim?

😱NOoooo!

Only two episodes left!

Noooooooooo!
Although, OTOH, these episodes are so stressful, maybe I can only stand 2 more.
There was at least one moment of LOL comic relief in this one, but I can't recall it. Anyone?

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Although, OTOH, these episodes are so stressful, maybe I can only stand 2 more.

This! I love this season way more than the 1st (which was great!) because I study noirs and early Cold War culture, but  I've watched some scenes in last two episodes with closed eyes. It is so  cynical I can't believe they actually let it to be streamed.   

Edited by skotnikov
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, shapeshifter said:

That could really complicate things for Dee and Vern. 

I'm kind of over Dee and Vern.  They've had what, one date, and known each other a couple of weeks?  He's suddenly ready to marry her and raise some other guy's child?  Even for a show that is always a little silly, this is just dumb.     

(edited)

Wow, Rita was kinda shook to learn Dee was pregnant. Guess she really does love Scooter?

Only Alma would dress up to accompany Bertram to his final murder. And pack refreshments.

Wait, I thought Scooter wasn't supposed to complete the transaction? Catherine was riding him like a jockey in the final stretch of the Kentucky Derby. She must've turned him all the way out. Rita will be majorly pissed when she realizes it.

Vern is a good guy. Hold onto him Dee. But yeah, I don't see a HEA for those two when Vern has photos of one if not both of Dee's parents skulking around Carlos' house the night he was killed.

Rita, Alma called and left this message: Fcuk around and find out!

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wow, Rita was kinda shook to learn Dee was pregnant. Guess she really does love Scooter?

Possibly, but I thought it was more that Rita had at one time had a dream of being happily married with 2 kids in the yard. Maybe she even gave one up for adoption at a home for wayward girls? Or, if she had an abortion back then, it may have left her sterile. 😟

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was amused that when Alma came out of the phone booth a movie titled Criss Cross was on the theater marquee behind her, since she has crossed over from being meek to out-Rita-ing Rita with her deviousness. When she’d lifted an extra syringe and bottle of poison from Bertram’s medical bag, I wondered if she’d decided she’d had enough of him and was going to kill him in his sleep later. Didn’t even cross my mind that she’d frame Rita for Carlo’s murder! So Rita’s unknowingly crossed over from being Alma’s tormentor to Alma’s intended victim. Not only that, but if she succeeds in putting Rita in prison, her revenge is way disproportionate to anything Rita’s done to her.

Happy for Dee and Vern. I just hope nothing messes this up for them.

Scooter sure seems to be wondering if he’d be better off with Catherine than with Rita. Especially after she handed him diamond cufflinks! And let’s face it, she would actually care about him, unlike Rita—at least if she never found out the truth about him.

ROTFLMAO @ “we’re like Bonnie and Clyde, but with cookies”.

I wasn’t real surprised at Isabel being Rita’s cousin. With them being thick as thieves all along, I figured she had to be some sort of relative.

Other than a past murder Rita and Isabel alluded to, so far this season of Why Women Kill has only had a man doing the killing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hmmmm… 🤔   
Alma doesn’t know that Rita has killed more than flowers, does she?🌸  🌺  💐

If we had more than 2 [enough] episodes left, I could imagine after Rita is sent to prison, Rita’s cousin kills Alma. 

Edited by shapeshifter

I think Alma is really playing with fire here and i fear for Alma's family. Rita will figure out who, what, where and why and also possibly how, and take revenge, so watch out Bertie and Dee. 😞

• Love 2
On 7/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, shapeshifter said:

Hmmmm… 🤔   
Alma doesn’t know that Rita has killed more than flowers, does she?🌸  🌺  💐

If we had more than 2 episodes left, I could imagine after Rita is sent to prison, Rita’s cousin kills Alma. 

Aren't there 10 episodes this season?

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Aren't there 10 episodes this season?

Omg. I repeated what I read somewhere else and hadn’t fact-checked it. I’m sorry to spread false info. This is great news! Thank you for the correction!

• Love 2
On 7/2/2021 at 10:29 PM, txhorns79 said:

I'm kind of over Dee and Vern.  They've had what, one date, and known each other a couple of weeks?  He's suddenly ready to marry her and raise some other guy's child?  Even for a show that is always a little silly, this is just dumb.     

I've heard way too many stories of couples marrying before the guy is sent off to war even though they barely dated. I know that neither of them is going off to war but given that Dee's pregnant, I could see them deciding that time is the essence and to jump in with both feet.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:30 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wait, I thought Scooter wasn't supposed to complete the transaction? Catherine was riding him like a jockey in the final stretch of the Kentucky Derby. She must've turned him all the way out. Rita will be majorly pissed when she realizes it.

Rita was okay with him going all the way for the pictures.  It was only when he said that he didn't think he'd be able to get her to go all the way so quickly that Rita said that he didn't need to go all the way.  All he had to do is make it look like they were going all the way. 

Of course, it turns out she didn't need to do that as Carlo was going to be murdered before he even found out that his daughter was boinking an unacceptable sort.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1