Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Schrodinger's Future

• Start Topic

WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS - Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) has a disturbing vision, forcing her and Macy (Madeleine Mantock) to pay a visit to the future. Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Harry (Rupert Evans) struggle with challenging new circumstances. Also starring Poppy Drayton. Stuart Gilliard directed the episode written by Bianca Sams and Blake Taylor (#315). Original airdate 6/18/2021.

It was a fairly boring episode tbh. Going to a future where everyone is dead, one of the sisters is a crackling demon with a very nice hairdo, and all they can do is run around didn't really do much for me. And as usual they have to find a way to split up the sisters into separate plot lines instead of having all 3 just tackle it together.

They came up with this whole "if you are in the future for to long, you could be aged" and it does happen to Macy/Maggie but it last all for 1 second and then we cut to commercial, come back from commercial and they are totally fine! Just sipping some tea as if nothing ever happened. Why even come up with that rule if it clearly isnt that big of a deal?

Harrys mini subplot of going through the motions of ages was....yeah. Glad that was over.

This new big bad just seems underwhelming. The show wanting to be cool and get demons out of the way was such a bad idea.

• Love 2

Nothing was explained... We only confirmed that when you turn evil.. Some off-screen minion buys you an all-new all- black wardrobe and eyeliner... At least macy seemingly gets her demon fire back

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

They came up with this whole "if you are in the future for to long, you could be aged" and it does happen to Macy/Maggie but it last all for 1 second and then we cut to commercial, come back from commercial and they are totally fine! Just sipping some tea as if nothing ever happened. Why even come up with that rule if it clearly isnt that big of a deal?

This might have been a great concept if Mel had gone to the future with them and they come back and there is a 15 year old boy standing next to them. They drink the tea, but decide not to give any to the boy. That would have been the best case of a baby rapidly aging into a teen used by any show. But, I guess that would have defeated the purpose of the child in the first place, to explain the baby bump and to let Mel take it easy until the baby is born.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Nothing was explained... We only confirmed that when you turn evil.. Some off-screen minion buys you an all-new all- black wardrobe and eyeliner... 

Kind of makes you want to turn evil, doesn't it? :-)

Can't this show just slow its roll and take a minute to breathe? I honestly don't even remember how Mel met Ruby. And what happened to Jordan? The show jumps from one world-ending catastrophe to another and it's all plot, plot, plot. It's impossible to keep up. There's no character building and no relationship building. Every episode has about 10 gallons of story poured into a 2-gallon container.

Part of the appeal of the original show was watching the sisters learn about their powers and the magical world. This show acts as if the sisters have been witches their whole lives. They rattle off spells and incantations, in Latin no less, like it's a second language to them. They know everything already, they never have to look anything up or ask their Whitelighter anything. It's way too soon for them to be this experienced. This is only Season 3, not Season 15. How do they know all this shit already? 

The season started with the Tomb of Chaos opening and letting all these monsters out and then it moved onto the Perfecti trying to kill the Charmed Ones and now there's some Whispering Evil thingamabobber. That's three seasons worth of stories in only 15 episodes.

The show only averages 380K viewers a week. I know it's also on Netflix so maybe that's what keeps it afloat. 

• Love 6

The CW has a weird business model where they hardly care about live views at all, and this show definitely benefits from that. Here are a couple articles about it -- this one is older but still mostly accurate (the CW now has an HBO Max partnership and a lot of views on stuff like Nancy Drew are coming from there), and this one explains how Crazy Ex-Girlfriend could get basically no live views (for three of its four seasons, it was the least-watched program across all of broadcast TV) but still be profitable. I like this business model because it means genuinely good stuff like Nancy Drew gets time to improve and find an audience, but the downside is that messy crap like this show has no real incentive to improve. The stuff we were complaining about back in season one is still a problem.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

This show has really fallen into the trap that a lot of shows, especially genre shows, fall into. The pacing is so freaking fast that you cant get all that invested in anything. We are constantly speeding from one Big Bad and plot point to the next with this frantic pace that never allows the character or audience to breath. They come up with idea that they must think sound really cool but then they finish it and move on before the idea actually has time to expand. I would love a few more cases of the week that really focused on world or character building, where everyone can react to all of the crazy stuff that has happened to them, but there is never time for that when the show is constantly adding new characters, villains, concepts, and then dropping them right away to focus on the next shiny thing. I thought the ancient monsters at the start of the season had potential, but then they got bored and moved onto the Perfecti and now this new something or another, how am I supposed to get invested when they keep changing things?

There is certainly one thing that this show carried on from the original Charmed...your level of evil is directly proportional to the amount of eyeliner you wear. I guess all that makeup seeps in through your eyes and turns your brain to evil. 

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode, though time travel usually intrigues me.  I did like how they got the watch part from the past.  I think this was the first episode that Mel's love interest had a personality.  The actor playing Harry got comic relief for two episodes in a row, and it's a change from his somewhat boring character.  Too bad the older witch is leaving.  She helped to make these last few episodes better.

I do agree with the criticisms above, though.  I loved that in the original "Charmed", the three sisters had an actual life... they felt like real people.  On this show, they're constantly in danger from things I couldn't care less about.  I also agree the pacing is pretty horrible.  They defeated the Perfecti in one episode, one episode after they suddenly revealed themselves to be super evil.  And now we have 3 more episodes with a 3-weeks -until-yet-another-apocalypse.