Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: Dedication

• Start Topic

In the Winter premiere, the fleet reels from the loss of Summer Bay deck boss Nick McGlashan. Wizard and Cornelia launch early into a massive Arctic storm. Johnathan can't see eye-to-eye with an old friend and shocking news forces Sig to change his plans.

(edited)

This one dropped yesterday on Discovery plus so we watched it last night. It was so hard to watch. Poor Wild Bill. By the end of it I was crying. Or there was something in my eye. Or I need to dust. Something. At first I thought Nick was a dick, but as the seasons wore on, I grew to like him.  Addiction sucks. All the boats meeting at Priest Rock to memorialize him was really touching. RIP Nick. 

And the new deckhand on the Time Bandit "Mad Dog" needs to be thrown overboard. I don't care how long you've been working on the Bering sea. You're an asshole. I'm surprised Jonathan and he didn't come to blows. I hope he choked on his coffee. 

Edited by Crochetlady

Oh man, that tore me up. I was wondering where Jake was and he had his family on board and then when he lost it. Bill losing it and seeing him and Nick in the wheelhouse. RIP Nick, you were one of my favorites.

• Love 4
(edited)

Sad. I like Wild Bill. He is awkward but I like him. A nice guy. Am glad the whole fleet was there for him and Nick. 

And  Blind Dog....funny when Jon said 'what do you do with a dog that's blind and deaf?'. Ha, I currently have a dog like that and he can be an asshole too. And I get what Jon was implying (boy has that thought crossed my mind a time or two...lol).

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2

Really?  Wild Bill is walking through an airport and gets a phone call that Nick has died?

Have we ever filmed Bill before walking through an airport on his way to his boat?  And how come we could hear both sides of the conversation, but Bill didn't have the caller on speaker?

I am saddened that Bill would agree to re-shoot the scene (or some other manufactured scene) in which he finds out that Nick has died . . . just for drama on the show.

And then the Cornelia Marie and all the other boats that were WAY north were able to get back to Priest Rock in two days?

Sorry.  That - to me - is scripting drama when someone has died.  Maybe a better idea would have been to do shows featuring Nick, with the last several minutes being a Public Service Announcement about drugs and their effect on the family and friends left behind.

• Love 3

I know Wild Bill was hurting that Nick died but I'm sorry I can't forget the way Bill preferred Nick to his own son.   He even said so when Zach was on his boat.    Zach who as far as I know never had a substance abuse problem, had a job outside of being a fisherman and seemed to just want a relationship with his dad that did not involve being treated like crap because of his parents' relationship.   But no Wild Bill preferred his deck boss to his own son.    

The manufactured drama of Mandy testing positive then overriding her dad as to where to set could have been skipped.  

• Love 4
On 6/16/2021 at 1:17 PM, AZChristian said:

Really?  Wild Bill is walking through an airport and gets a phone call that Nick has died?

Have we ever filmed Bill before walking through an airport on his way to his boat?  And how come we could hear both sides of the conversation, but Bill didn't have the caller on speaker?

I am saddened that Bill would agree to re-shoot the scene (or some other manufactured scene) in which he finds out that Nick has died . . . just for drama on the show.

And then the Cornelia Marie and all the other boats that were WAY north were able to get back to Priest Rock in two days?

Sorry.  That - to me - is scripting drama when someone has died.  Maybe a better idea would have been to do shows featuring Nick, with the last several minutes being a Public Service Announcement about drugs and their effect on the family and friends left behind.

I don't think it was re-shot. I think in general most of the inter-cast phone calls are arranged by the crew (they'd have to to have both camera folks shooting each side of a conversation and the call mic -ed). So it was more like the crew found out about Nick first and had Landon call at a specific time that Bill would be on camera. Which is also kind of creepy, but not to the level of re-enacting a horrific moment. It's not unlikely that the producer would be taking the same flight and take the camera out for questions any time they're just hanging out killing time, so Bill might not have suspected anything because they've done it a lot, even if the footage didn't usually make it to air. 

Then I think they paid the boats to come in. Or a fuel incentive. Or a "play along or you won't be back next season" hint. Which isn't to say they didn't WANT to come in, but generally speaking these guys miss holidays and anniversaries and the births of their children  - a memorial service without a burial that could theoretically be held at ANY time for someone they knew and liked would be unlikely to make them drop everything and come back in. A phone call saying the guy's family was being brought up and the show would pay for the fuel and they'd look bad if they skipped it... that would do it. Plus days' notice to rearrange their offload dates.

8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

You make some good points, @kassa.  

I'm just waiting to see if they put a big picture of Nick in the wheelhouse so Bill can gaze at it adoringly at least once each episode to wonder, "What would Nick do?"  

I did feel bad for the new guy, who was pleasant and professional and graciously expressed his sympathy as well as his gratitude for the opportunity, only to have Bill say (in a later scene) there's no way he could fill his shoes. Well, duh, and he wasn't expecting to.  (Also possible that that reaction was triggered by a question implying that New Guy was Nick's replacement, which simply wasn't true - that'll be Landon, who seems to be stepping up). 

I would love to see that Bill and Zak have some kind of relationship now, and hope that it's not a storyline. Airing their previous battles did permanent damage, I think. It's hard to let those things die/fade when you not only lived through them but then literally watched them play out on the screen where you could dissect every hurtful thing said/expression without letting time gloss them over. Hard not to dig in.

Any word on whether Edgar is still on the NW but in hiding? There haven't been that many NW deck shots but I haven't seen any accidental long shot glimpses. I can't remember the last time we saw any internal NW shots (galley, etc). Just on deck. and Sig/Mandy in the wheelhouse.    

1 hour ago, kassa said:

I would love to see that Bill and Zak have some kind of relationship now, and hope that it's not a storyline. Airing their previous battles did permanent damage, I think. It's hard to let those things die/fade when you not only lived through them but then literally watched them play out on the screen where you could dissect every hurtful thing said/expression without letting time gloss them over. Hard not to dig in.

Found this online:

Zack Larson Talks About Relationship With Dad, Deadliest Catch Captain Wild Bill

Over the years, Deadliest Catch fans have seen the mercurial relationship between Zack and his father, Wild Bill hit more valleys than peaks. One of the most telling signs of their relationship is that Zack took his mother’s last name, not Wichrowski, his dad’s last name.

But, on an Instagram post from last June, Zack updated fans on his relationship with his dad, the legendary crab fisherman, Wild Bill Wichrowski. First things first, Zack wanted to thank Captain Sean for giving him a “chance,” and the whole Dwyer family. He shared that “A lot of people have helped me get to this point in my career.”

Then, he tagged and mentioned his dad, Captain Wild Bill. Zack admits his dad “doesn’t get enough credit for that.” Larson then reminded fans of their recent relationship troubles. “Though the past few years have been strenuous on our relationship. We have also been working at getting back to what we had before.” Things are now so good between father and son that Wild Bill was the “first” one to congratulate Zack on becoming a captain. This update may have been done off camera, but Deadliest Catch fans can now feel that this drama has been resolved.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The shot of Bill steering the F/V and then randomly beginning to cry, just prior tp the scene where he called Sig, is the most beautiful moment in DC that I've ever seen.  BW is reputed to be the hardest and least tolerant of the DC group.  Yet, his deep self burst out against his will.  His soul, if you will.  A good man you are, Bill.

I got the feeling that Blind Dog may be a tad developmentally disabled.  He seemed incapable of reasoning his emotion which Johnathan triggered.  His loyalty is said to be great.  So, trust is crucial to him.  JH was wise to be the "big" man and reach out to him.  Another cool DC moment, imo.

I am not thrilled with yet another monster storm not living anywhere near up to forecast.  Some of the editing with icy F/Vs instantly followed with ice-free shots, was weak of DC.  However, even if DC "cajoled" the guys into the memorial, any issues pale in significance to the rare and beautiful humanity that can't be faked.

RIP, Nick.  God bless his family.

• Love 3
On 6/18/2021 at 1:32 PM, merylinkid said:

I know Wild Bill was hurting that Nick died but I'm sorry I can't forget the way Bill preferred Nick to his own son. 

I can see your point but we don’t know everything what happened between father and son over the years. They obviously had serious issues between them.

Bill could be incredibly tough but there were also numerous occasions where Zack was offered an olive branch or the same opportunities as Nick, but he simply would not take them. And I also vividly remember a few scenes where Zack was being a big bully to others, particularly the greenhorns. So I suspect that Zack’s treatment was at least partially caused by his own actions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/18/2021 at 11:48 AM, AZChristian said:

Found this online:

Zack Larson Talks About Relationship With Dad, Deadliest Catch Captain Wild Bill

Over the years, Deadliest Catch fans have seen the mercurial relationship between Zack and his father, Wild Bill hit more valleys than peaks. One of the most telling signs of their relationship is that Zack took his mother’s last name, not Wichrowski, his dad’s last name.

But, on an Instagram post from last June, Zack updated fans on his relationship with his dad, the legendary crab fisherman, Wild Bill Wichrowski. First things first, Zack wanted to thank Captain Sean for giving him a “chance,” and the whole Dwyer family. He shared that “A lot of people have helped me get to this point in my career.”

Then, he tagged and mentioned his dad, Captain Wild Bill. Zack admits his dad “doesn’t get enough credit for that.” Larson then reminded fans of their recent relationship troubles. “Though the past few years have been strenuous on our relationship. We have also been working at getting back to what we had before.” Things are now so good between father and son that Wild Bill was the “first” one to congratulate Zack on becoming a captain. This update may have been done off camera, but Deadliest Catch fans can now feel that this drama has been resolved.

Thanks for posting this.  Good news indeed.  I wish Sean Dwyer had stayed on the show.  Miss him and his mom.  Anyone have any news on the Junior situation?

• Love 1