Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Proof

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Anyone else think it was odd that Jeanette still took the bracelet with her when she stormed off from Cindy? Like she’ll be mad at her mom yet still accept her guilt money presents?

I didn't think it was odd, it seemed pretty typical teenager-y to me.

Plus she had said before she didn't really hate her mom. It was bratty and selfish though.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't think it was odd, it seemed pretty typical teenager-y to me.

Plus she had said before she didn't really hate her mom. It was bratty and selfish though.

I just meant it kind of shows that Jeanette still is kind of materialistic. Another example of how the show flipped its tropes with the lead characters. Kate the popular girl you’d assume is a shallow mean girl was actually nice and complicated, while Jeanette the nerdy Nice Girl was actually more shallow and self centered than she appeared.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I just meant it kind of shows that Jeanette still is kind of materialistic. Another example of how the show flipped its tropes with the lead characters. Kate the popular girl you’d assume is a shallow mean girl was actually nice and complicated, while Jeanette the nerdy Nice Girl was actually more shallow and self centered than she appeared.

While I agree that this show has played with and against stereotypes, I didn't see Jeannette taking the gift as materialistic. If she was materialistic, the bracelet might have made a dent in her ire but it didn't. 

I may be projecting because I had an absentee parent who use money or gifts as evidence of still caring. As a teen, I still took them even when giving him attitude or even, when I was a late teen, railing at him.  Because, as mad as I was, it was still what he was giving me. It was part wanting whatever lame assed symbol that he loved me I could have and part petulant "fine, I'll take the stupid fancy pen but this doesn't change anything."  Or maybe it was all the former and the latter was what I told myself.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 6/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, peachmangosteen said:

My sister was just saying that they should do a season 2 and call it Cruel Winter lol.

Maybe the Bleak Midwinter or A Hazy Shade of Winter if they want to stick with song titles.

Edited by Constant Viewer
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Wow, I didn't think I could dislike a Mom more than Joy in this series, but Cindy takes the cake. She abandons the daughter who needs her, to pursue her dreams, after 20 years of doing nothing, at the precise moment her family needs her most. Then she tries to drive a wedge between Angela (who actually is there for her daughter and husband) and Greg with her "Oh, he told you that's what happened?" soft-spoken trash.

She also gives what is to her a complete stranger, Angela, information that could be severely damaging and incriminating to her daughter, who is at this very moment fighting what is almost certainly the most important battle of her life.

And she actually tells Jeanette that she is being unfair and wrong in her lawsuit.

Just because someone is a victim does not give them a right to victimise others.

Jeanette is in her full right to fight back.

On 6/3/2021 at 12:25 AM, KaveDweller said:

I agree the lawsuit against a kidnapped victim sounds pretty bad, and winning won't really make Jeanette feel good or change anything. But think about this from Jeanette's perspective (assuming she is innocent of what she is accused of). 

The day before Kate was found, Jeanette had two loving parents in a seemingly happy marriage, a boyfriend she had just lost her virginity to, and a group of friends. She seemed popular and happy.

Since Kate has made her accusation:

• Her boyfriend assaulted her and then dropped her (which is probably not a loss, but would have felt like one).
  • Her friends ditched her and started harassing her.
  • Her parents split up and her mom went off to become a flight attendant.
  • She got harassed at school to the point that she had to drop out.
  • Her father lost his job (and his income, which may be a big driver in the lawsuit) and started to resent her for it.
  • Her family was harassed with prank phone calls.
  • Her name's been dragged through the mud in the national media and apparently has been called a "disgrace" by the governor of her state. So even if she moves to a new town people will know what happened.
  • Her house and car are constantly vandalized/graffitied.
  • She can't leave her house without someone insulting her....we even saw someone throwing food at her.

This, essentially.

Also, I was on Jeanette's side when it came to Mallory, though I felt sorry for Mallory when the fight turned really ugly and when she cried. Mallory could not take no for an answer. As for ending their friendship altogether, that might have been taking it too far on Jeanette's side, but Mallory was being way too pushy. (Though not a bully, as others have pointed out.)

I may not have gotten over my teen bad boy-phase (at least when it comes to television), lol, because I am all here for Jamie getting a redemption arc.

Edited by Bellatrix