Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Chapter 19 - And It's Getting More and More Absurd

On 5/28/2021 at 7:29 AM, humbleopinion said:

Grand Zaza

Larry’s Liquor Locker

The Sportsman Lodge in the Valley

Don’t know about the other two, but The Sportsmen’s Lodge is real.  I went to a conference there a few years ago.  I think it had self-parking, so not that fancy.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Errrg. I knew Martin was putting on an act. He's after the money!

Whose money?  Mindy didn't have any until Norman died. I mean, yes, he was happy when Sandy put the money in the account.  Who wouldn't be?  I don't think it's the reason he was engaged to her, though.  It wasn't until it was there that he got excited about it.

I am trying to pace myself with this show, but I'm starting to think I shouldn't bother since it's just not as good as the past seasons.  I know there was a time jump, but am I really to believe the Phoebe that seemed to be making real progress this time has completely backslid into money grubbing? And I cannot get started on the grandson. I don't know if it's the character or the actor or both, but: I am thisclose to fast forwarding anything having to do with him.

I also miss Lisa - I know she was selling her house at the end of the last season, and it's probably an actress availability issue, but a mention? Sandy has no friends other than her and Norman, and to lose both at the same time is not working for this show this season.

And Martin suddenly makes shoes? What? 

I'll finish this out,  since it's so short, but it's a shame that it's going out this way.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/11/2021 at 8:25 AM, Eeksquire said:

I also miss Lisa - I know she was selling her house at the end of the last season, and it's probably an actress availability issue, but a mention? Sandy has no friends other than her and Norman, and to lose both at the same time is not working for this show this season.

I had totally forgotten about this until you brought it up. In some ways it’s as if the first two seasons never happened. 

On 6/11/2021 at 8:25 AM, Eeksquire said:

I know there was a time jump, but am I really to believe the Phoebe that seemed to be making real progress this time has completely backslid into money grubbing? And I cannot get started on the grandson. I don't know if it's the character or the actor or both, but: I am thisclose to fast forwarding anything having to do with him.

I am with you on this. I said in the second episode thread that I thought contesting the will was a predictable plot point and as noted above, it’s like Phoebe regressed because of it; it feels like she and the grandson have been written this season to accommodate a “let’s fight the will” storyline. I understand that people contest wills, especially when there are large sums of money involved, but it seems like this was a reason to keep those actors involved with the show, make fun of Scientology and an opportunity for Sandy to roll his eyes and mutter “thanks Norman” at least once an episode. I think there’s enough going on this season: Sandy deals with the emotional fallout of losing Norman, he’s getting a real career opportunity, his daughter is marrying a retiree and

Spoiler

his ex-wife has returned only to learn that she’s seriously ill.

That’s a lot for a relatively short season, so the will story is an extraneous, unfunny part that pushes characters that were once interesting into caricatures. But they did that with Jane Seymour’s character too and it feels like they might be headed there with Paul Reiser too.

When the second episode ended with Martin laughing at the sewing machine I wondered what that was about. I never took him for a gold digger, and still don’t, but he seems like one of those people who wins the lottery and ends up more broke and in debt before because he suddenly can afford cool stuff and spends like a drunken sailor. The car is ridiculous but I can totally see a man his age doing that. I can also see him buying a new home theater system and building the addition to house it (and that’s not cheap and it would probably eat up 100k for the equipment and building and furnishing the new theater in the backyard-if he could get a permit to do it).

Mindy annoys me in a way that she did not the first two years. It may be that she’s getting so much focus this year and the weird writing (such as her mood swings towards Martin) and the actor aren’t able to carry so much of the show. Kathleen Turner is still the best part of this show for me and it sucks that they decided to make her sick.

I used to love this show. I would have loved it more if they’d quit at two seasons. I’m going to finish it because I’m this far into it, but it’s kind of like Arrested Development for me-sometimes it best to quit in peak form. 

Edited by Maysie
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, Maysie said:

and his ex-wife has returned only to learn that she’s seriously ill. That’s a lot for a relatively short season,

When did we learn that Roz is ill? I just watched this ep and the previous one, and don’t remember that.