Type keyword(s) to search

Detective Hailey Upton: Voight 2.0?

• Start Topic

Let's see... she has a Permasmirk, a "my shit don't stink I'm Untouchable I do want I want" demeanor. A propped up Obession of the showrunner so much so she is a very undeserved 3rd Billing behind Voight and Halstead. She strives to be like Voight and Linsday. She just sucks. She is kinda like a Gabby for PD

• Love 3

I'd have to disagree that she's like Gabby...  she's as annoying as Gabby, absolutely - but she's way more evil.  Even people who hated Gabby can usually admit that she had good intentions.  Gabby always tried to be the hero.  Hailey is just a dirty cop who wants everything done her way, damn the rules and anyone else.  I don't think she has good intentions or is trying to do the right thing, she's just awful.  I have NO idea why the showrunner loves this character that he's created so much.  She really dragging down Halstead too, who used to be a good character.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I have NO idea why the showrunner loves this character that he's created so much.

Did he create Upton? That could be why he loves her. Usually showrunners who come into an established show with established characters prefer any characters they create themselves as it’s them putting their own Mark on things.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Did he create Upton? That could be why he loves her. Usually showrunners who come into an established show with established characters prefer any characters they create themselves as it’s them putting their own Mark on things.

Well, IMDb.com still lists Derek Haas as the showrunner, but I thought that he moved to Chicago Fire exclusively several years ago and wasn't involved with PD anymore.  Maybe I have that backwards?  So I'm not sure who created her - regardless, she's awful and she's sinking the show.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, IMDb.com still lists Derek Haas as the showrunner, but I thought that he moved to Chicago Fire exclusively several years ago and wasn't involved with PD anymore.  Maybe I have that backwards?  So I'm not sure who created her - regardless, she's awful and she's sinking the show.

She came at the end episodes  of s4 when Matt Olmstead was showrunner but we knew only few things about her. But Eid is the one who created her story, background . But I agree Eid is obsessed with her.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jaelyn96 said:

She came at the end episodes  of s4 when Matt Olmstead was showrunner but we knew only few things about her. But Eid is the one who created her story, background . But I agree Eid is obsessed with her.  

Correct, she came in when Burgess left to care for her sister (Her real life Maternity leave) at the end of season 4 & then kept on when Erin left. Eid took over the start of season 5, retconned the little past we knew about her. Platt helped them when their restaurant? was robbed. Seemed she had a good relationship with her Dad then & was considered a moral cop who wanted to do the right thing......So essentially she is Eid's character.

Now is she a corrupt cop, a hypocrite, devious, evil and an emotional clusterfuck. No way she's stable enough to hold a gun or a badge. They've dumbed down Halstead to the point of him being little more than a cardboard cut-out. Eid seems to keep upping the ante on her trauma, it's almost like he realises that people don't like her character so instead of dialling her back a little he keeps adding more in the hope that people feel sorry for her. 

I mean he's so obsessed with her that he took her over to his other show, FBI as 'punishment' and of course they offered her a job because she is sooooo amazing. Pity she came back. Maybe if they kicked Eid over to that show full-time he'd take her with him.

• Love 3

Ugh!  The reruns do her character no favors. She sets up Darius to be killed, to “avenge” her CI’s murder, and then she plants drugs which get her shipped off to the FBI in NY.  Unfortunately, that didn’t stick.  She’s no Voight so I just can’t root for her.  I’ll watch the first episode of the next season, but if Jay accepts her proposal, I’m OUT!  And I don’t even like Jay 😡

• LOL 2

I give this a 20% chance of happening, but I can see Hailey attempting suicide near the climax or conclusion of this Roy-Voight arc.  Obviously, she won't be successful.

If the truth comes out, I can see Kim being furious and refusing to socialize with her given that Upton's lied to her face, which in turn will mean that Adam will also distance himself given that he's in love with Kim and would like to get back together with her. Kevin will probably be the calmest about it, especially since he doesn't have much connection to Upton, but he's probably going to let Hailey know that she fucked up and Kim and Kevin are friends and Kevin and Adam are boys. So may leave just Jay in her corner. Whether Jay pauses the engagement is unlikely, but if he does, it could leave her feeling isolated.

Hailey's throwing up and having panic attacks over what happened, and she's admitted before that she considered killing herself at some undetermined point in her life due to the abuse she suffered from her father. Chicago PD writers have a tendency to circle back to unresolved issues every few episodes while letting them simmer in the background in the episodes where they're not featured. I think this is what's happening with Hailey and that the panic attack was not the climax.

I'm not sure whether this is bad writing or just a semi-realistic portrait who suffered severed child abuse when she was younger, but Hailey's coming across as very mentally fragile.  Like she's very professional and calculating initially, but once she's shaken, she's very unbalanced.

• Love 1

I don't like Upton either. I feel like we are supposed to see her as hot or something and she just isn't all that. I don't find any of the cast engaging anymore, this show along with Chicago Fire has just been around too long now. 

The should bring back the Uniform Cops aspect as that would involve new characters and different storyline possibilities in terms of cases. 

• Love 1

Firstly, while I appreciate that despite a difference of opinion no one is behaving uncivilly towards one another, this topic has gotten off-topic. This thread is to discuss the character of Upton, not the actress portraying her. 

Secondly, posts about Sophia Bush do not belong here. Feel free to post in her new show's forum/thread. 

Thirdly, Primetimer does not allow posts flaming other sites or the opinions of their members.

Fourthly, talk about upcoming episodes also doesn't belong in this thread. 

Posts will be hidden and warnings may be handed out. 

Last night, I caught a rerun of the second episode with Upton.  It's the episode right after Erin left Chicago. 

It was pretty jarring to see how Hailey was portrayed in that episode compared to now.  She was shown as kind of an affable team player.  She brought donuts for her second day on the job and she was smiling.  At the end of her shift, she told Trudy that her dad's restaurant was robbed when she was 12, and he was attacked. Trudy brought her to the station and stayed with her until her dad was out of surgery.  She said that Trudy was the reason she became a cop. Trudy got teary-eyed.

This is a way of saying that Hailey is completely unrecognizable from how she started.  They used the abuse storyline to make her a very dark, angry person, which is a big change from the nice girl who idolized Trudy.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2022 at 7:52 AM, nittany cougar said:

Last night, I caught a rerun of the second episode with Upton.  It's the episode right after Erin left Chicago. 

It was pretty jarring to see how Hailey was portrayed in that episode compared to now.  She was shown as kind of an affable team player.  She brought donuts for her second day on the job and she was smiling.  At the end of her shift, she told Trudy that her dad's restaurant was robbed when she was 12, and he was attacked. Trudy brought her to the station and stayed with her until her dad was out of surgery.  She said that Trudy was the reason she became a cop. Trudy got teary-eyed.

This is a way of saying that Hailey is completely unrecognizable from how she started.  They used the abuse storyline to make her a very dark, angry person, which is a big change from the nice girl who idolized Trudy.  

I agree, and I think this is because the writers had to retcon Hailey's character once the show made her a regular.  It didn't work.  I would have much preferred the original Hailey.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree, and I think this is because the writers had to retcon Hailey's character once the show made her a regular.  It didn't work.  I would have much preferred the original Hailey.

Honestly, when she first arrived I liked her, I was at the end of my tether with the Erin drama and thought she was promising....yikes, by mid-way through season 5 they'd well & truely started falling into the trap of making her a lite-weight Erin rehash & have done nothing to change that since. Now she is an unwatchable, unlikeable, whiny, mopey drag on this show. 

I wonder if they had the chance to go back they'd make different choices for her character.

And whats even more disappointing is that she has dragged Halstead down into the mire with her.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2022 at 12:52 PM, nittany cougar said:

Isn’t that the whole show though not just Hailey? The show has become very dark, the characters are constantly put through the ringer and very rarely aloud any happiness. 

There is hardly any humour in the show at moment and the team rarely interact as a unit.

Thats not a Hailey problem that’s a Chicago PD whole show problem. 

Edited by Chicagopdfan
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Chicagopdfan said:

Isn’t that the whole show though not just Hailey? The show has become very dark, the characters are constantly put through the ringer and very rarely aloud any happiness. 

There is hardly any humour in the show at moment and the team rarely interact as a unit.

Thats not a Hailey problem that’s a Chicago PD whole show problem. 

This is a good point.  Does everyone remember the episode where they had to go through re-training with a taser?  Yes, something dark happened with Kim that episode, but when the scenes weren't on her, they were actually... funny!  Those were the times, I guess.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This is a good point.  Does everyone remember the episode where they had to go through re-training with a taser?  Yes, something dark happened with Kim that episode, but when the scenes weren't on her, they were actually... funny!  Those were the times, I guess.

That was a great episode. Even Jay had a personality then, good times. 

• Love 2
On 2/15/2022 at 7:22 PM, Guildford said:

Honestly, when she first arrived I liked her, I was at the end of my tether with the Erin drama and thought she was promising....yikes, by mid-way through season 5 they'd well & truely started falling into the trap of making her a lite-weight Erin rehash & have done nothing to change that since. Now she is an unwatchable, unlikeable, whiny, mopey drag on this show.

I think that's the problem with Hailey. It feels like they've tried to recreate the Erin character so that they could tell the stories that they didn't get to tell with Erin, Voight and Halstead with Hailey, Voight and Halstead.

If they had wanted to keep Erin they should not have written her out but recast her. But new character should be their own characters and not copies of other characters. (Although, I don't think that's the only thing that's wrong with the show now, I think Rick Eid didn't really grasp what the show was about and who the characters were anyway).

• Love 3
10 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

That was a good episode. The got the amount of light hearted and dark scenes right. 

• Love 1
On 1/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, jewel21 said:

Firstly, while I appreciate that despite a difference of opinion no one is behaving uncivilly towards one another, this topic has gotten off-topic. This thread is to discuss the character of Upton, not the actress portraying her. 

Secondly, posts about Sophia Bush do not belong here. Feel free to post in her new show's forum/thread. 

Thirdly, Primetimer does not allow posts flaming other sites or the opinions of their members.

Fourthly, talk about upcoming episodes also doesn't belong in this thread. 

Posts will be hidden and warnings may be handed out. 

Posts about Sophia Bush (who played Erin) don’t belong here? If someone has a reason to bring her up and makes a connection, then it absolutely belongs here. Jay was with Erin and then with Hailey, so if someone wants to mention how Hailey is so much worse for Jay that he’d rather join the army again rather than be around her it is relevant. Or how much happier Jay was with Erin on a bad day than he was with Hailey on their best day, well that is also relevant. Hailey is a drag on the unit. Everyone has to go out of their way so that she can eventually catch up. Luckily it’s her last season so the rest of the crew won’t be held back by constantly having to hold her hand