Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: A Friend in Need

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Izzy puts the brakes on her wedding to Bull after he jeopardizes Benny's election campaign by handling the defense in the corruption trial of the former District Attorney that Benny hopes to replace.

That was an interesting confluence of motivations.  I wonder if TAC will now consider representing the investigator or Mr. Kiel?  That would a courtroom circus if Benny got to do the questioning.

Well, Ms. ADA.  You got some 'splainin to do for your final question.  Never, ever, ask a witness "why" they are motivated to testify.  Why is an open ended question, and Benny used that opening to the best advantage.  Game over.

DA was incredibly naive/stupid if he thought that taking contributions after dismissing a case would not come back to bite him.  It's probably good that he didn't decide to run for higher office.

I know the show was probably pressed for time, but I would have liked to see the ADA cross examine the ex-DA on the stand.  She could have scored some points there.

• Love 1

I’m sorry, but I found that boring. For the last few years, Weatherly seems to be phoning it in. I’ve seen nothing to show that he cares about Izzy, so why the wedding, and why did Bull’s “team” throw it? I didn’t know they were all that chummy with Izzy. I remember the first season: Bull’s character had fire. He would take cases no one thought he could win, and he did it because he saw or felt something. Now, he seems to be going through the paces. (True, there was more on the line with last night’s case, but that seems to get resolved fairly easily.)

• Love 1

At first, when they open the apartment door and you see that shadowy figure in the dark kitchen, I was concerned it was someone who broke in to exact revenge on Bull for some past case, or it was some sort of mobster looking to "hire" Bull for nefarious purposes.  So yeah, I was surprised too!

• Love 3

I was so dissapointed in this episode. They talked about the need to find the right kind of jury, and then completely skipped to the trial. I knew Benny wasn't going to win his race, but I did not picture something that convoluted being how he ended up back at TAC. 

I did like the the surprise kitchen wedding. 

• Love 1

Always find it interesting how the actor who portrays Benny really poufs up the front of his hair to make him appear taller.  Actor is really short in real life 5' 4".  It was particularly noticeable in this episode.

I just got around to watching this and I'm a bit confused.

At the end of the last episode, didn't Benny's opponent drop out of the race?  And, unless I'm making this up, there was only one week left in the race?  Who now was Benny running against that he only had a six point lead?  I don't ever remember them talking about a third person in the race.

Also, didn't Chunk break attorney / client privilege with Bull by telling Benny about it?  Or, since Benny was Chunk's lawyer, does privilege carry over?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Also, didn't Chunk break attorney / client privilege with Bull by telling Benny about it?  Or, since Benny was Chunk's lawyer, does privilege carry over?

TAClaw works different to regular law.

• Love 2
(edited)

Bull was not Chunks’ client.   Chunk  was free to tell whomever  he wanted that info with the caveat that he would  get fired for telling the wrong person.l thought it was clever for Chunk to hire Benny.  However I don’t think the states attorney was innocent since Bulls’ point in telling Chunk was to explain to Chunk that the guy bent the rules often. 

Edited by mythoughtis

I knew that something was wrong with the setup on this show.  Bull is not a lawyer, yet he’s  in a firm sharing fees with licensed attorneys.  I knew that was against the rules of professional conduct in my state, but it is in NY too.  Lol.  This show needs a complete reorganization.  If they had conducted proper research, they’d have considered this when the idea first came out.  Dr. Phil should have known this.  
https://www.mosessinger.com/uploads/lawyernonlawyer_business_ventures.pdf