Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: You Don't Hunt, You Don't Eat

• Start Topic

(edited)

"Privilege" and "safe spaces". Not widespread mid-90s speak. That's widespread 2010s- speak. The show continues to pander rather than depicting the time realistically. They could show the same conflicts without using terms that are stilted in the particular scenarios presented. Or they could have set it in a timeline when such language was more commonly used.

Mallory is shady as fuck. I don't think she cares about Kate. I think she is obsessed with getting back at Jeannette for having popular friends. Kate is a way to do that. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, jewel21 said:

No, every episode has had the opening being words typed on screen with the date and the three different years the episode is taking place in. 

I was referring to the year being shown in the middle of the screen when the show changed years, which I only recall them doing in the first ep. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

My guess is Kate will say something in the chat to Ashley about not telling the whole truth, like she did in an earlier episode, and it will cause Ashley to doubt her story. It is a wild invasion on Ashley's part though I understand her intent.

I'm also curious since I think the first time I went into an internet chat I was in college around 96 - 97 - that chat room was titled something like Kidnap Victims. I know you can find something for anything now, and I definitely grew up fairly sheltered, but how many kidnap victims are looking to chat online in the early 90's? 

Anyhoo, this is quickly becoming my favorite show and I'm rec'ing it to everyone I know. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm also curious since I think the first time I went into an internet chat I was in college around 96 - 97 - that chat room was titled something like Kidnap Victims. I know you can find something for anything now, and I definitely grew up fairly sheltered, but how many kidnap victims are looking to chat online in the early 90's? 

I was in IRC and AOL chatrooms for gay teens in the same era.  I don't have a problem thinking crime victims would also be looking for a way to connect.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, starri said:

I was in IRC and AOL chatrooms for gay teens in the same era.  I don't have a problem thinking crime victims would also be looking for a way to connect.

I didn’t have internet until new year’s eve 1995, when I used one of those magical AOL cds. I remember the chat rooms, message boards, and then IRC.  

• Love 2

Have a lot of hope with this show so far. I am impressed at how it is fleshing out the characters and what happened not being cut and dry one way or another. 

As in real life people can look at a person's actions or hear them say something and interpret it many ways. 

• Love 3
(edited)

“Annabelle” immediately made think of the poem, “Annabel Lee” by Edgar Allan Poe. A young and beautiful girl dies a tragic death, told from the point of view of her heartbroken lover. What starts out sounding like a fairytale takes a dark turn as the man laments the loss of his love since childhood. He chides her family for trying to keep them apart and accuses the angels of killing Annabel with a gust of wind because they were envious of their love. You come to realize the man, in the throes of grief is being pushed to madness. He comes to see them as one being and dismisses death as any impediment to a love as powerful as theirs. He eerily goes so far as to say he still sleeps beside her every night. By the end, the line between love and obsession is blurred and you wonder exactly what role he played in Annabel’s life as everything is from his point of view and according to him he was the only one to love her properly, everyone else was against them and an enemy. 

I do think Annabelle is an alternate personality. I’m just not sure if its Kate’s manifestation or Martin’s. I think the mention of antipodes means something. Two diametrically opposite points on earth. The split personality is an antipode inextricably linked to the real person. Martin says in the Southern Hemisphere everything is different. Maybe that’s what Kate needs to do to survive, create a person opposite her, or it’s what Martin does to justify his evil deeds to himself. He’s definitely the opposite of what you’d expect a character like that to be, someone eager to exert their control. He’s nervous and skittish. In the basement he looks afraid of Kate. Although that’s part of what makes him so sick and dangerous. The unassuming, soft-spoken persona gets Kate to let her guard down. 

I see a lot of people theorizing Joy is behind what happened to Kate. That would really be horrible. The woman is a nightmare but that would make her truly evil. Although another part of the Kate/Martin conversation that seemed pointed was the talk about Cassiopeia. She bragged about how beautiful she is, pissed off the gods, then sacrificed her own daughter. Joy is a narcissist and duplicitous but is she capable of sacrificing her own daughter for herself? Also, did anyone else notice that the shirt Martin gave Kate to wear for warmth was the one he was wearing the following day? That was chilling to me. Like it was signifying he has his hooks in her now and is thinking of them as connected. 

I’m honestly shocked at how well done this show is. I was not expecting it at all and it’s been a nice surprise. Best drama I’ve watched in a loooooong time that really keeps you riveted and guessing. 

Edited by CharethCutestory
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 5/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, KaveDweller said:

That necklace looked awfully clean for something that had been lost in a house months ago. That certainly is the most logical idea though, that Jeanette lost it in the house, Kate saw her running away, then picked up the necklace later. It didn't sound like Jeanette was actually in the basement, so maybe Kate picked it up later after Martin died.

Or maybe Kate broke into Jeanette's house to steal it to get her proof of what she saw? I do believe Kate believes she saw Jeanette, but maybe she had no proof and wanted people to believe her? I also noticed that Jeanette's mom seemed really sure Jeanette was lying about throwing out the necklace. It made me think she'd seen the necklace in Jeanette's possession recently or knew something else happened to it.

Could Jeanette have given it back to Mallory and then Mallory turned around and gave it to Kate?

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 5/8/2021 at 5:32 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I was referring to the year being shown in the middle of the screen when the show changed years, which I only recall them doing in the first ep. 

No, they still do it, even though a few times it's been very faint to see it over the scene.