Type keyword(s) to search

Physical - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Well, I am not sure what was the point of this episode, specially when we only have 1 more to go. There was way too much Danny. And it was sort of like a play, them just talking about random things. The thing is, it was not engaging at all, and I kept waiting for the episode to just end. They have a lot to do next week, I hope they get this right. But I don't see how can they accomplish everything they need to in just 30 minutes.

• Like 1
Just now, Harvey said:

Well, I am not sure what was the point of this episode, specially when we only have 1 more to go. There was way too much Danny. And it was sort of like a play, them just talking about random things. The thing is, it was not engaging at all, and I kept waiting for the episode to just end. They have a lot to do next week, I hope they get this right. But I don't see how can they accomplish everything they need to in just 30 minutes.

I thought it was far better than most of the season, tbh 🤷‍♀️. Finally got rid of Breem and the other idiot. 

• Like 1
Just now, AstridM said:

I thought it was far better than most of the season, tbh 🤷‍♀️. Finally got rid of Breem and the other idiot. 

I am curious if they will do a thing where they bring back everyone for the finale. Bunny / Tyler / Breem / Danny's campaign manager / Sheila's mother

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LEILANI2 said:

I don't recall ever ordering pizza with out paying for it first, is this how it was done? The poor kid has to collect when he gets there and what happened back then to prank calls, did people just call up for pizza delivery to a  vacant home as a joke and the pizza joint eats the cost?

It wasn't that long ago that we stopped paying the delivery guy by cash & even cc at the front door. I asked one delivery guy if there were many prank calls and he said that they were very few & far between. I guess people were a lot more honest back then & prank calls were mainly made by kids who were relatively easy to spot. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Shrek said:

It wasn't that long ago that we stopped paying the delivery guy by cash & even cc at the front door. I asked one delivery guy if there were many prank calls and he said that they were very few & far between. I guess people were a lot more honest back then & prank calls were mainly made by kids who were relatively easy to spot. 

I think our Dominos here still accepts cash at the door. It’s not as uncommon as the young people think, lol.  Not everyone has credit/debit cards. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

I am curious if they will do a thing where they bring back everyone for the finale. Bunny / Tyler / Breem / Danny's campaign manager / Sheila's mother

I thought I'd caught a brief flash of Bunny in the trailer so I wouldn't be surprised if she was at least. I could have been wrong though and I don't care enough to watch it again.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2023 at 5:13 PM, Harvey said:

OMG the way I called it!!!

Well, that was a good finale. Other than Sheila not getting a positive romantic ending, everyone else's storyline wrapped up very well. I do feel that Sheila's journey is not even close to being over yet and I'd be happy to watch another 10 episodes of her just figuring out how to be happy, but we were already lucky to get a season 3 and she was left in a much better place than where she started. I don't know if it was necessary to give so much credit to Bunny, but that's how they chose to play it and that's fine.

• Like 1

So Sheila's journey through three seasons allowed her to come out the better person for it.  Fine.  That finale though was not so fine. More like a mess.  I got the feeling the writer's had no idea how to nicely tie it up...so they didn't.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, ichbin said:

So Sheila's journey through three seasons allowed her to come out the better person for it.  Fine.  That finale though was not so fine. More like a mess.  I got the feeling the writer's had no idea how to nicely tie it up...so they didn't.

Yeah, I appreciated that Sheila was in a healthier mental place, but everything felt very rushed.  I also wondered exactly what time Sheila put her daughter to bed because it looked very much like it was mid-afternoon.      

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, ichbin said:

They completely lost the plot. I loved Greta teaching and “Xanadu” with all my heart, but their was no real story there.

That genuinely made no sense. Especially considering that it completely veered away from the clear original intention of the story as laid out in the opening scenes of the first episode. Sheila was a put upon, insecure housewife. Any meanness in her came from her own insecurity, unhappiness and unaddressed trauma. Aerobics would empower her but lead to her becoming more cutthroat. By 1986, she would be massively successful but really not nice. Instead we got whatever the hell that was.

And also, what was with the closing song? Sheila VOs about succeeding at her dream, so they picked the first song about dreams that came up on a google search and didn't care that they were ending their very 80s show, with a very, very 90s song?

• Like 1

Finally finished this. While a lot of the next-to-last episode was a slog I did think the idea of Sheila insisting on the right to her own artifice was an interesting one. I found the finale moving even though I agree the way they wound their way back to Bunny was very contrived. I guess they wanted a vaguely Mad Men like ending, but with that mission in Mexico (that also had an aerobics class set to pop songs?) in place of Esalen. Eh, whatever. It was fun seeing Greta leading a class. I'm sure they wished they had not started the whole series on the flash forward that they did. I sort of thought Sheila asking the limo driver to turn off the music was a bit of an acknowledgment of that moment (since in the actual series opener she turns off a Walkman and throws it at an assistant.) I guess knowing what we know about Sheila we can also assume maybe the underling was imaginary and she just threw the walkman into midair anyway! My headcanon.

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Like 1

The finale was weird, but the thing about lawsuits was especially weird. Because unless you are calling your aerobics studio "Strength and Numbers" I am not sure how the "Strength in Numbers" company can sue you for stealing their IP. Because it is not like an aerobics studio, even one that has child care is some kind of original thing, even in the 1980's. If it was she would have to sue every community recreation centre.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Because unless you are calling your aerobics studio "Strength and Numbers" I am not sure how the "Strength in Numbers" company can sue you for stealing their IP.

I'll admit I don't quite know how it works, but my presumption was that those studios were using Strength in Numbers routines for their workouts.  I believe you can copyright an exercise routine, so that would be the basis for the cease and desist letters.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2023 at 2:30 AM, LEILANI2 said:

I don't recall ever ordering pizza with out paying for it first, is this how it was done? The poor kid has to collect when he gets there and what happened back then to prank calls

Remember in Home Alone, the pizza guy says it’s $120 and the jerk uncle says he has no money and the dad comments that that seems like a lot of money for pizza. As for pranks, wasn’t part of the prank that the person you sent the pizza to had to pay? I dunno, I never did it.

I didn’t understand the freak out about Maya swallowing the tiny plastic pig. Kids swallow little bits and bobs all the time, and parents didn’t lose their minds, especially back then. And expecting her to poop it out an hour after swallowing it, do they know how digestion works? 

I was confused about the last episode - suddenly we’re 5 years in the future and Sheila has her national chain. Okay, but how did that happen? Who funded it? 

This was a weird, unsatisfying show, but the actors did a good job with the material they were given, such as it was. I did love the 80s fashions and 70s home decor. It was like stepping back into my growing up years.

On 9/28/2023 at 6:50 AM, AllyB said:

didn't care that they were ending their very 80s show, with a very, very 90s song?

Xanadu came out in 1980.

• Like 2