Type keyword(s) to search

S02E05

• Start Topic

Jackie gets philosophical and dispenses some wisdom to his daughter.

He starts with this nugget when told that he is being assigned from the FBI office in Boston to Lakeville.

"You're not cutting my dick off."

He then tells Jenny and Benny that when he was 10, he burned his house down -- his parents got out -- because he hated them.  Then he says "but I turned out fine!" as a way to encourage Benny that she will get over the whole drugging and sexual assault she endured in season 1.

Jenny and Benny get ankle tattoos  Well it was in the '90s so it wasn't a trendy thing back then.

Anton tried to commit murder but a judge sets bail.  So Grace trees to borrow, begs and eventually steals money to get him free

First thing he does is to take off looking to kill Decourcy.  How he finds Dee after just getting out of jail is some mystery.  But this guy is the criminal mastermind running a drug empire?  He thinks killing the prosecutor would end his legal troubles after getting out on bail?

Idiot shoot Siobhan in the clavicle and there's a concern that she might miscarry.

Jackie shows up at the hospital, offers to put Anton under the Big Dig concrete but Decourcy says no.

Then Jackie talks Karen into letting him work the case on getting Anton before he's put out to pasture in Lakeville.  Have no idea why she agrees, even though she has been wanting to get rid of him.

He then goes to see Grace, with his gun drawn.  That's after doing some coke while driving on the way.

I thought FBI wasn't about agents acting like cowboys.

Grace is giving Anton an alibi, who's hiding out.

I sure hope Grace’s little $2500 withdrawal doesn’t go unnoticed.

It continues to amaze me that Decourcy and his wife can be on opposite sides of the same case w/o a conflict of interest.

I had to look up Lakeville to see where it is - down near the RI border. But still close enough to Boston for Jackie to stick his  nose into things. Not exactly exile IMO.

• Love 2

Definitely the best episode of the season. They finally gave the actors, especially Kevin Bacon, a lot of good material, and stuff is actually happening again. The best part of last season was the fraught but mutually beneficial partnership between Jackie and Decourcy, which seems like it is finally back (although you know Jackie is playing an angle) and will hopefully be a lot more fun than their bitter sniping. 

Now Grace's willful ignorance of how awful her son is has almost gotten people killed, and she is crossing lines to bail him out of trouble. At this point I mostly feel bad for her younger son, who seems to be mostly just following his brother and desperately wants out. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Definitely the best episode of the season. They finally gave the actors, especially Kevin Bacon, a lot of good material, and stuff is actually happening again. The best part of last season was the fraught but mutually beneficial partnership between Jackie and Decourcy, which seems like it is finally back (although you know Jackie is playing an angle) and will hopefully be a lot more fun than their bitter sniping. 

Now Grace's willful ignorance of how awful her son is has almost gotten people killed, and she is crossing lines to bail him out of trouble. At this point I mostly feel bad for her younger son, who seems to be mostly just following his brother and desperately wants out. 

It does seem as though at some point the younger son will be Anton's downfall.  He will never get past the killing of the young girl in her bedroom.

• Love 1

You have to laugh at everyone crowing to Jackie about leaving. Sure. I did like that they told us a little more about Jackie actually closing cases. 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, Msample said:

It continues to amaze me that Decourcy and his wife can be on opposite sides of the same case w/o a conflict of interest.

I assume that Sib is working for a private firm, so it's not really on her to recuse. I would think the city would pull Decourcy because of that. I mean, it's tv though. You'd think someone would argue about not having a fair trial. 

I did like them arguing in court though. Didn't see either of them being wrong. 

I have zero interest in the Irish lady. 

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And she's not doing the younger one any help because she's worried about her rep. Even when she bailed him out, it was all about her. 

I was hoping we'd be Cathy-free. I don't remember Jimmy naming Anton too her, but ok. I still have some mild interest in how she's selling it all. 

I don't like Decourcy being antagonistic to Anton. I mean, offer the plea. I kind of feel bad for the guy, like product of the environment and all. He's guilty, he's got to do time, sure. I find him sympathetic. Probably not from Decourcy and Sib though. Wow was that dumb. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

Anton goes to shoot DeCourcy and ends up shooting Siobhan.  This is only days after attempting to kill Junior and only shooting him in the stomach.  He walks right up to the car and... accidentally shoots the passenger instead of the driver?  I did like his little speech to Grace about how he's not proud of his "job" but he does it well.  And in his head anyway, it's always been about getting out of the projects, for his mama.  It's about time Grace woke up.  Isaiah had to explain it to her, but he's probably the only one who could; he's the only one she would listen to.

I like that Jackie and DeCourcy seem to have resumed their uneasy alliance (it took us five episodes?), and that this is what I thought the show was all about.  I agree that Jackie obviously has some kind of angle.  He badgered Karen about letting him do this one case before heading off to Lakeville.  I'm thinking he's going to try to turn it into something big that'll buy him the leverage to NOT get sent off to Lakeville.

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I assume that Sib is working for a private firm, so it's not really on her to recuse. I would think the city would pull Decourcy because of that. I mean, it's tv though. You'd think someone would argue about not having a fair trial. 

I thought last season they had the wife working in a big law firm that did not do criminal law.  They reluctantly let her do a pro bono case last year.  There's no way that firm assigned her this case and she would always have the right to recuse on conflict of interests.  Did she quit to run for office maybe?

1 hour ago, Orbert said:

I did like his little speech to Grace about how he's not proud of his "job" but he does it well. 

This is what makes me sympathetic to Anton. Going out to shoot Decourcy was just really dumb though. For someone who does his job well, he should know the city will just assign another ADA to the case. I can't really call OOC though because the initial shooting that got the little girl was at least just as reckless. He got his mama ego for sure. 

1 hour ago, Orbert said:

I agree that Jackie obviously has some kind of angle.  He badgered Karen about letting him do this one case before heading off to Lakeville.  I'm thinking he's going to try to turn it into something big that'll buy him the leverage to NOT get sent off to Lakeville.

I don't think there's any doubt about it. I'm dumbfounded how the US Attorney is so dumb tbh. Jackie flat out said he was the big celeb FBI guy that the public knows. She had to have known his case rate and rep before coming into the position. 

It seems like everyone on the show are smug sobs who think they're better than everyone, and Jackie, who is a real sob, is grounded enough to know himself. I'm rooting for him and Decourcy, and it looks like Dee got knocked down a peg from the shooting which is maybe what he needed to 'get back' as he's been saying. Even after blowing the case, he's been smug still. 

43 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I thought last season they had the wife working in a big law firm that did not do criminal law.  They reluctantly let her do a pro bono case last year.  There's no way that firm assigned her this case and she would always have the right to recuse on conflict of interests.  Did she quit to run for office maybe?

I was commenting last night as I watch the scene. My more extended opinion was that I meant the obligation to recuse isn't on her, not that she couldn't if she personally felt the case was a conflict. In a situation with spouses as opposing counsel, I think it looks worse for the state, as we say now, 'the optics', to not pull Decourcy off.

My take on the situation is - If Anton is convicted, your average Taxpayer McGillicuty down at the Blarney Stone after work isn't going to care that a drug dealer went to jail because spouses were on different teams. Maybe Anton can track down a Dershowitz to appeal on the 6th amendment. Other way around, and Anton walks, McGillicuty is going to be screaming how his taxes paid for a killer to go free because Sib swallowed all weekend. The Boston Globe would be tearing into the DA's office for malfeasance and you're looking at a possible DOJ investigation. 

They may not have the resources to put anyone else on the case, but in the episode the DA only asked Decourcy if he could not be conflicted. They didn't make any other excuses. But, like I said, it's tv. I think they could have done a little better on this one. It's silly that Jackie can run around and do whatever cases he wants, but they did at least offer some excuse. 

Antoin reminds me of an old Chris Rock joke, something along the lines of "we need to get gang banger shooting lessons, let them kill themselves and leave innocent people along"  (worst paraphrase ever, sorry).  Antoin can't kill/shoot the right person for nothing.  Both shots were close range and he missed both times.  

How did Anton know where to look to find Decourcy and his wife to catch them so fast, Boston's a big town, seemed strange he could find them so easily after just getting out on bail.

Also, not sure exactly why Cathy shoots Jimmy.  I know she hated him for ratting on her husband I guess.

@mattpfeif