Type keyword(s) to search

Big Shot - General Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

New series premiered today on Disney+

After getting ousted from the NCAA, a hothead men's basketball coach must take a job at an all-girls high school. He soon learns that teenage girls are more than just X's and O's; they require empathy and vulnerability - foreign concepts for the stoic Coach Korn (John Stamos). By learning how to connect with his players, Marvyn starts to grow into the person he's always hoped to be. The girls learn to take themselves more seriously, finding their footing both on and off the court.

Trailer:

Not a bad first show. There is a few sports cliches but otherwise a well written show. Stamos fills the role well and the supporting cast is pretty good. Yvette Nicole Brown is very annoying.

Cute.  Way too much game drama ... slo mo... emotion... for the very first game.  But still cute.

I think Jessalyn Gilsig is miscast as a basketball coach. She doesn't read as an athlete to me.  Stamos does, mainly because he has the build and look of a small point guard a la a John Stockton or a Rick Pitino (who he is really reminiscent of here).  But Gilsig just doesn't have the look imo.

Hard disagree on Yvette Nicole Brown being annoying.  She struck just the right tone, imo, of being the head of an all girls school with trying to corral a hot head arrogant guy who a) doesn't even want to be there in the first place and b) was foisted on her.  In fact she is nowhere in the same building as annoying as the pouty snotty blonde player with daddy issues and her rich, entitled dad who tells him 'You're my birthday present to me." 

I liked what little we did see of the other girls and look forward to getting some more face time with them, their issues and their personalities.

Rather meh in the heartfelt phone calls home with the daughter. But this is Disney so...

While this is hitting the sports movie cliches hard, ie unconventional practice, overbearing father, unwelcoming coworkers etc, the heart is beginning to come through.  I love Destiny, I think that’s who, with the first episode of her going off on the coach and then the second with the father talk and game of horse. I like the beginning of their relationship.  I like the they are making Louise likable. Should be interesting having the daughter join the school.  

My son and I just watched the first 2 eps.  I love Stamos, so it’s a treat for me.   I like it so far, anything we can watch together and agree on is good in my book.  What day do they drop the new eps?  

1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

My son and I just watched the first 2 eps.  I love Stamos, so it’s a treat for me.   I like it so far, anything we can watch together and agree on is good in my book.  What day do they drop the new eps?  

Friday’s I think. 

• Useful 1

I like what I'm seeing so far. John Stamos hits the right notes in being an often times annoyingly arrogant, but in the end caring man who really wants to create a great team. His speech about good and great players is, although not new, still spot-on.

But he does need to learn how to get along with the teachers. Because as much as he sees his role at that school as more important than that of the rest of the faculty, one simple fact remains: Unless he can promise every single one of those girls a pro career in basketball (and, to be honest, even IF he can), he needs to understand that a solid school education is at least equally important as preparation for their future. If he jeopardises that, he is doing his team a great disservice.

Edited by Lambsilencer
  • Love 1

I liked this weeks episode with the daughter joining the school.  They skipped some obvious trope bait. Not having the daughter get mad that the team was told to hang out with her, the team actually liking her, Emma not being jealous of Destiny but instead realizing that Destiny needs a father figure and wanting her to join for dinner. Even the teammate that previously liked/dated Louise’s brother not getting upset about or with Emma liking the brother. 

all of this gives me hope that the show will not fall to far into tropy goodness

• Love 4

This was a very good episode.

Emma joining her dad was a good decision on the writers' part. It was pretty obvious that it would happen from the start, since Sophia Mitri Schloss is the second female lead after Jessalyn Gilsig. And she plays Emma as this easy-going teen girl who is smart and opinionated and just very likeable. I really hope it stays that way. Her chemistry with John Stamos is great, the final scene was moving and, more importantly, rang true.
Another thing: While I'm glad that the girls got different training attire after the pilot (the ultra-short spandex shorts in the pilot were just too short for the actresses wear so often), but with those longer white spandex shorts under the basket ball shorts, it looks to me like their legs are bandaged from an injury. I don't know, it just looks a bit weird to me. Maybe just some slightly longer basket ball shorts would look better. But maybe it's just me.

Edited by Lambsilencer
  • Love 1

Trying to like this but was stuck on one scene. So you have a teacher in this school who decides to go after a students parent in the middle of class and when the student retaliates that student is sent to the principal? I am trying to imagine a scenario where this teacher isn't brought up before the school board (or something like it) and fired/suspended for trying to humiliate a student and another member of the faculty.

Somehow they are trying to have good guys and bad guys on this show to make you love Marvyn even more but there is so much I want to watch of teachers and faculty members that are out of control.

I’m really enjoying this show!  It has just enough of “everything,” without going over the top tropey.  I called it that surfer boy would be someone that the girls already knew, most likely by way of being one of their brothers.  So where do all the boys go to school? Is there a “brother” school that pairs up with the girls school?  Have I missed that?  

I really got a kick out of TCKS.  And told my son I was gonna start using it, to which he rolled his eyes at me 😂🙄.  I like how Stamos is playing the dad role.  He’s not 100% clueless and incompetent but you can tell he didn’t raise a daughter 100% of the time as a full time and engaged parent.  The mistakes he is making are actually believable and not groan worthy.  I’m glad they haven’t made him a dumb oaf, but instead a dad who IS trying but also adjusting.  

• Love 1
On 4/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, Lambsilencer said:

This was a very good episode.

Emma joining her dad was a good decision on the writers' part. It was pretty obvious that it would happen from the start, since Sophia Mitri Schloss is the second female lead after Jessalyn Gilsig. And she plays Emma as this easy-going teen girl who is smart and opinionated and just very likeable. I really hope it stays that way. Her chemistry with John Stamos is great, the final scene was moving and, more importantly, rang true.
Another thing: While I'm glad that the girls got different training attire after the pilot (the ultra-short spandex shorts in the pilot were just too short for the actresses wear so often), but with those longer white spandex shorts under the basket ball shorts, it looks to me like their legs are bandaged from an injury. I don't know, it just looks a bit weird to me. Maybe just some slightly longer basket ball shorts would look better. But maybe it's just me.

they wear those spandex because the shorts are so loose fitting and when they fall or jump their shorts don't ride up and you can see their private and they don't have think about being exposed.  Boys wear them too.  

• Love 1

So I don’t understand.  I am fairly certain it is against the rules to give recruits and their families cars and vacations to play even in high school. Get the student reporter to record to family asking for that stuff and she will be banned.  Don’t come at me with she shouldn’t suffer to consequences of parents actions.  She was in on it.  P

5 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

So I don’t understand.  I am fairly certain it is against the rules to give recruits and their families cars and vacations to play even in high school. Get the student reporter to record to family asking for that stuff and she will be banned.  Don’t come at me with she shouldn’t suffer to consequences of parents actions.  She was in on it.  P

I thought this was the norm in college,  not sure about high school though.   But since it's a private school,  they can probably do what they want.  I'm glad they went the way they did though. 

• Love 1

I am liking this show a lot. Like the Mighty Ducks show I’m looking forward to the new episodes every week. John Stamos has wonderful chemistry with the basketball team and his daughter, and I’m glad they are avoiding some of the cliches like spoiled rich daddy girl and a daughter who is jealous of the player without a father figure.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I am liking this show a lot. Like the Mighty Ducks show I’m looking forward to the new episodes every week. 

Us, too!  It’s makes for a nice little Friday night family night for me and my son.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Coach Holly sure had a glow-up.  I didn't recognize her at first.  I like this show so much and I giggle, because I'm a 56 year old woman watching this by myself.  

I'm slightly younger, but right there with you.  I'm watching it because Uncle Jesse is like a fine wine - just gets better with age. 😉  I don't think we're the target age range, but it's still a cute show.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm slightly younger, but right there with you.  I'm watching it because Uncle Jesse is like a fine wine - just gets better with age. 😉  I don't think we're the target age range, but it's still a cute show.

DUH.  lol  

I have a very handsome younger brother - Greek God-like handsomeness.  Even though I was a bit older for Full House, I still watched it - I was hard crushing on Uncle Jesse, then one day my mother said "stop that, it's weird.....he looks exactly like your brother"  Dead!   So I stopped (somewhat) and FTR my brother STILL looks him  UGH!!   LOL  

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Coach Holly sure had a glow-up.  I didn't recognize her at first.  I like this show so much and I giggle, because I'm a 56 year old woman watching this by myself.  

It took me a minute, too!  I assumed she was the PE teacher??  Have we ever seen her in street clothes before?  In a classroom other than the gym?  

I would be watching alone if my son didn’t want to, so you do you!  Like is said before.  STAMOS.  😂.  I’ve also always been a big CW teen soap fan from way back when, so this kind of show is right up my alley.  And also STAMOS.  😉

I also still want to know where the boys attend school?  Has that ever been mentioned?

29 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

It took me a minute, too!  I assumed she was the PE teacher??  Have we ever seen her in street clothes before?  In a classroom other than the gym?  

I would be watching alone if my son didn’t want to, so you do you!  Like is said before.  STAMOS.  😂.  I’ve also always been a big CW teen soap fan from way back when, so this kind of show is right up my alley.  And also STAMOS.  😉

I also still want to know where the boys attend school?  Has that ever been mentioned?

they mentioned it last week when the boys showed up for the school play.  I forget the name of the school though.  

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

they mentioned it last week when the boys showed up for the school play.  I forget the name of the school though.  

Ahhh gotcha!  Thank you.  I figured I had just missed it.  Considering we watch this on Friday nights, sometimes I have a glass (or 2) of vino. 😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I just caught up on the last few eps.

I am having a hard time warming up to the daughter.  I think the writing for her is trope laden.  And the actress comes off as wooden to me.

Otherwise I am liking the deeper look at the girls on the team.  And the plot developments unfolding for them.

How old are the girls are supposed to be?  Because if Olive is under 18 she is a minor and as far as I know in most states a contract signed by a minor is not legally binding.

I never liked Louise's father he was such a smarm so I think he and the mom running off and leaving the kids behind is super shitty and par for the course. 

Also liking seeing more teachers.  I am getting the idea that the gag is that they are all a bit over the top.  Grint's  coffe/spot of tea thing was so pointed and aggressive and quite amusing and I like her level of antagonism toward Marvyn.  The drama teacher is a little yikes and dramatic. 

I am loving Ms. Thomas.

• Love 1

Just watched episode 6. I found it really good.

Holly did really great and came out as a really good coach in her own right. I was surprised that Marvyn was jealous of Holly to a point where he initially didn't even want to congratulate her on the win and celebrate. He also took part credit for moving Louise to 2 guard. I was really disappointed in him.

I am guessing he may be beginning to see that she may be getting her shot to coach soon and that might be hurting him (feelings for her?).

I am not sure that the other coach can yell at opposing players like that but in this show, sure. Good to see her lose and Holly get her reckoning.

Also good to see that other teacher get her due as making things personal and for not supporting the students unlike coach Marvyn.

• Love 1

I never participated in high school sports,  but I'm pretty sure the opposing coaches would not be allowed to personally attack the actual players.   Coaches maybe. 

And yes to the actress playing the daughter being wooden.  I think that role was seriously miscast.

56 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I never participated in high school sports,  but I'm pretty sure the opposing coaches would not be allowed to personally attack the actual players.   Coaches maybe. 

And yes to the actress playing the daughter being wooden.  I think that role was seriously miscast.

That part was driving me insane. In high school, my two kids each 3 sports a year for 4 years, so I put in my time in the bleachers.  This would never happen in a million years - nor would her busting in on a team practice.  

I'm still loving this silly little show though.  :)

• Love 1
On 5/24/2021 at 4:36 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

That part was driving me insane. In high school, my two kids each 3 sports a year for 4 years, so I put in my time in the bleachers.  This would never happen in a million years - nor would her busting in on a team practice. 

Thank you!  I found it so unbelievable that a) she just rolled up all in their school during their practice and they all stood around like 'Derp'  and 2) the sheer bad sportsmanship that would never fly for real of a coach being allowed to heckle players on the opposing team.  It took my head out of the episode so much.

Also I found it a little far fetched that an entire school would boycott because the guy embezzled funds!  I get some students being really activist minded, some being contrary, and some being spiteful and jealous.  But most wouldn't care about embezzlement.  Something more heinous, yes, but embezzlement?

• Love 1

I found this show by accident after finishing The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, which I highly recommend. Seeing David E. Kelley's name attached is what led me to watch the pilot - very pleased that I did. I have just finished the episode where Louise's dad is arrested. 

I really like all of the basketball players - as well as Emma - they all remind me of teenage girls. The actor playing Lucas appears to be much older than the girls. It immediately bothered me. 

Stamos is great and I have always liked Jessalyn Gilsig. She does not seemed to have aged at all since Boston Public. I also like the principal. The school counselor who hates Korn comes off too much like a caricature. I can't imagine that a school employee would be compelled to undergo therapy with a school counselor. 

• Love 1

Continuing to like this show a lot, but the past two episodes haven’t been as good. I’m still not feeling the actress that plays Emma, but the other girls are great. I like that they went the unpredictable way of losing the game to Point Loma, but it seems to be going the cliche route of Korn being torn between coaching college again or the girls, and they will likely find out the day before their big Carlsbad game and be pissed.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:17 PM, twoods said:

Continuing to like this show a lot, but the past two episodes haven’t been as good. I’m still not feeling the actress that plays Emma, but the other girls are great. I like that they went the unpredictable way of losing the game to Point Loma, but it seems to be going the cliche route of Korn being torn between coaching college again or the girls, and they will likely find out the day before their big Carlsbad game and be pissed.

I know they are trying to get people hooked but I think adding in Destiny’s aunt is actually her bio mom seems too much story for the number of episodes left.  But I am glad they had her find out and Louise not keeping it from her for multiple episodes 

• Love 1

I agree. It’s little things like that storyline that makes me like the show. They could have gone the usual route of friend finding out a big secret and keeping it, but Destiny was right there listening as well. 

• Love 1

I liked the latest episode - especially the part where Coach Camryn Manheim tells Holly that she is retiring and is willing to pick Holly as her replacement. Surely that job push will not come without strings. 

Also liked the scene with Destiny and her mom. Well done. 

I could definitely get into Margarita Mondays. 

• Love 1

I don’t have much to add, I’ll be sad when the season ends, as I really do enjoy this show so much.  Has there been any word on another season?  I sure hope so, as they seem to be setting up a lot of loose ends….

The continuity with the statue pointing out of the closet has me cracking up.  I hope they keep it that way as long as they live in that house.

Nice ending to Season 1. I hope there is a Season 2. 

Will Holly actually leave? I like the chemistry between the two actors but I can't see how she stays at the school instead of taking a shot to be a head coach. 

• Love 1

I said it before and I'll say it again....but this 57yo mom loves this show.  My DD21, who grew up on High School Musical came into the family room while I watching the season finale and just rolled her eyes at me. LOL.  I do hope there's a Season 2....I wonder if it goes to Season three, they all move on to the same college together and play basketball somewhere for Coach Korn.  LOL  David Kelly......ya listening?  

• Love 1

I just finished this series. It made for great subway viewing. It was fun, and I hope there's a season 2 with Holly coaching at Carlsbad. But of course, I have some criticisms.

Destiny's mom/aunt storyline seemed so over the top and unnecessary. I know that it was Keala Settle's speech about it to Coach that helped turn around his decision to leave, but I wish they had found another way to get him there. First of all, the actress playing Destiny looks so much like Keala and nothing like the woman playing Angel. Also, back in episode 1 or 2, we learn that Destiny's father died when she was young and that's a big part of her arc. But now we (and she) discover that that man wasn't even her bio-dad. Not that it should matter, of course, he's the one who raised her and who she loved, but it just seems weird to put these 2 major family issues on 1 girl, but also never comment on how they intersect. And she gets over this shock pretty quickly and everything goes back to normal. It just seemed weird all around.

My other problem was the actress playing Emma. I just think she's not that good. Everything was whispered and mopey. And Harper was CLEARLY the better choice for Beth MacBeth so why was Emma being such a bitch about it?

And finally, perhaps it's my anti-sports bias, but in the first conflict with Ms Grint, I was totally on her side. Yes, they turned her into a shrew afterwards (speaking of, did you all notice the posters for other doctored shows the drama teacher has put on? "Empowering of the Shrew" lol) but missing 1 practice to participate in a unique academic event seems totally reasonable to me.

I watched all of Season 2 this weekend and loved it. Interesting idea to have the girls' prank be the catalyst for the Belford boys to attend their school - which led to Holly becoming their coach. The La Jolla fire story line was also quite good - and led to Emma and Marvyn moving in with Holly. I liked seeing each of the girls have their own storyline; my guess is that Louise takes a job at Westbrook for the year before her UCLA scholarship kicks in. 

Highly recommended....hope there is a Season 3.  

• Love 1
On 10/31/2022 at 8:36 AM, LisaM said:

....hope there is a Season 3.  

I think Disney+ plans most of their shows ahead of time well enough to not leave a big cliffhanger unanswered.  This season was decent enough, and I'll watch Season 3.

That is a shame. The only reason that I signed up for Disney+ was to watch Big Shot and Mighty Ducks. Both are canceled. I can now get rid of my Disney+ monthly subscription. 

Too bad - Big Shot was a good show. 

• Like 2