Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

that happens to have a lot of history

Did it, though? Clearly the showrunners  couldn't commandeer actual battles of  the Revolutionary War, real events in New England history,  or the birthplaces of specific writers and have them take place in Stars Hollow. But other than those two commemorative events concerning the War of Independence in the first and fifth seasons, I don't recall hearing of any other  occasions or incidents of significance in the town's more than two hundred year history. I am sure I will be swiftly corrected if I am mistaken.

Stars Hollow - gasp - didn't even appear to have a local chapter of the DAR :)

But other than those two commemorative events concerning the War of Independence in the first and fifth seasons, I don't recall hearing of any other  occasions or incidents of significance in the town's more than two hundred year history.

Don't forget that George Washington blew his nose in the park.

But seriously, does a place only have history if there are major events that happened? Stars Hollow was founded in 1779. Even if there are 2 things of import they noted within the show, it doesn't take away from the fact that Stars Hollow has history as a town. Driving through Long Island, Upstate NY, and New England, there are several towns which pride themselves in their history even though nothing really significant happened. They're just old. That's the history.

Clearly the showrunners  couldn't commandeer actual battles of  the Revolutionary War, real events in New England history,  or the birthplaces of specific writers and have them take place in Stars Hollow.

Don't know why they couldn't. Somehow, Sandra Day O'Connor was a Puff who moved them to the table that we see them sitting at. Sandra Day O'Connor went to high school in El Paso, Texas. So unless Chilton was dragged over from El Paso, not likely.

• Love 1

Somehow, Sandra Day O'Connor was a Puff who moved them to the table that we see them sitting at. Sandra Day O'Connor went to high school in El Paso, Texas. So unless Chilton was dragged over from El Paso, not likely.

That was odd, wasn't it? Sandra Day O'Connor as a Puff  and the singing of Ave Maria at the Seventh Day Adventist wedding in Season 3 are my own top two "Howzat?" moments of the show.

Maybe the Puffs were not exclusive to Chilton. Maybe it was a secret national sorority.

But didn't she make the choice to move tables? She would have had to be at Chilton.

But didn't she make the choice to move tables? She would have had to be at Chilton.

PARIS: Yes. She was puffed in 1946, became the president in '47, and in '48 she actually moved the group to the very table you sat at today.

I guess the Puff's could have started in El Paso and then moved to Chilton and brought the table. Or all the Puff groups have to sit at a specific table in the cafeteria, like the northern-most one or closest to the exit or something?

But it could also be the writers didn't put any thought in it.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 2

I think we are supposed to just ignore the fact that Ms O'Connor was an undergraduate at Stanford University when much of this table hopping was going on.

Let's face it- timelines were never the writers' specialty but especially that season.

Let's face it- timelines were never the writers' specialty but especially that season.

That's true, but In fairness, I can't imagine the intended audience for the show was going to care whether Sandra Day O'Connor's real life timeline fit into the story being told during the episode.  I mean, it wasn't like it is today where people simply hurriedly reference Wikipedia, and post whatever it says to prove what was said during an episode about a subject was wrong. 

Edited by txhorns79
I have no idea where most people pick up their information. I myself read Ms. O'Connor's quite charming memoir of her childhood  more than a decade ago.

I have no idea what you may or may not have read.  I was speaking about how the writers likely didn't anticipate things like Wikipedia, and the ability to instantly fact check, when they wrote some of these storylines.      

GG presents a highly stylized, unrealistic world.

That's the truth!  How many cat-related stores can one town need? 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

It seems like it would have been easy enough to pick a female role model of a certain age whose background did fit the story they were trying to tell. Our at least hewed more closely than Justice O'Connor's bio.

Or they could simply have used an already made up name to use for a female Supreme Court Justice from the West. How about Ethel May Potter? She was from Albuquerque. And it would continue an existing  minor theme in the show.

*Francie*

I try to fast forward through all the Francie stuff in Season 3.  The whole thing felt like such a waste of time. 

Here's a nitpick.  How was it that Rory didn't get into serious trouble at Chilton for ditching school to go see Jess?   I mean, it's not like it wouldn't have been noticed that she just left, and the Headmaster had shown during the first season that he wasn't enamored by Rory or Lorelai.  I don't remember there ever being any follow up.    

Edited by txhorns79

Here's a nitpick.  How was it that Rory didn't get into serious trouble at Chilton for ditching school to go see Jess?   I mean, it's not like it wouldn't have been noticed that she just left, and the Headmaster had shown during the first season that he wasn't enamored by Rory or Lorelai.  I don't remember there ever being any follow up.

I went to a school much like Chilton* and skipped without my mom's knowledge once. In the end, it is most likely that Rory just received a single after school detention like I did, so it wasn't such a big consequence to be worth noting or showing.

However, skipping homeroom (which is often the only place they take attendance) would result in persistent calls to Lorelai until they reached her to verify if this was an excused absence or not. Lorelai was at the inn and had her cellphone. Both numbers the school would have had. So yes, totally unrealistic that Lorelai was completely clueless about Rory's whereabouts until just before the 6pm ceremony.

* Not saying the consequences or tracking down of parents would have been different at a public school. Just saying that if they ARE different, at the very least Rory and I should have had the same experiences. I'm guessing the show runners/writers don't have experience with private schools and just hand waved something silly like "they probably rely too much on honor codes rather than policing students compared with public schools." Or they figured the general public wouldn't know much about private schools and would just go along with it. OR, these types of policing policies weren't around back when they were in school (and none of them have kids) so they didn't know how unrealistic this would be for any school nowadays.

• Love 1
I went to a school much like Chilton* and skipped without my mom's knowledge once. In the end, it is most likely that Rory just received a single after school detention like I did, so it wasn't such a big consequence to be worth noting or showing.

That's probably true.  I was just thinking it was a situation where Rory was at school, then would have suddenly vanished, which I think would have been noticed. 

Why, in the name of God, would anywhere wear strappy heels to a dance marathon where you know you will be on your feet for hours and hours?  

And what the heck is eggless egg salad?

Apparently I have too much time on my hands....

Why, in the name of God, would anywhere wear strappy heels to a dance marathon where you know you will be on your feet for hours and hours?  

And what the heck is eggless egg salad?

Apparently I have too much time on my hands....

Tofu instead of egg usually.

I assumed there's a dress code for the dance, otherwise wouldn't be more comfortable to wear sweats?

• Love 1

Except that all of the other dancers were wearing flat shoes as far as I could see.  Even in costume you can find appropriate flat shoes to match.  Of course, then we wouldn't have had the whole "repair my shoe, Luke" scene.  

Which brings up another nitpick - what kind of glue sets that fast and can fix a spike heel to support the weight of a full grown albeit slim woman?

I hate that episode.

• Love 1
I assumed there's a dress code for the dance, otherwise wouldn't be more comfortable to wear sweats?

I think the dress code was supposed to be a 1940s theme.  Though I agree that Lorelai's choice in shoes was ridiculous for a dance marathon. 

I'm not sure if this is a nitpick or not or if I even brought this up before (because that's very possible) but it seriously bothers me when Loerlai and Luke are dating and she makes a big deal about him coming to town meetings with her "just because he likes doing things with her" when Luke was at EVERY town meeting before they started dating! Were we just supposed to forget all his previous rants at the town meetings just for the sole purpose of that episode's storyline?

• Love 7

Actually Luke did not attend all the town meetings.  He was not at the one where Stars Hollow became the venue for the Festival of Living Art (or whatever it was called). I recall being surprised by his absence. However, Lorelai  didn't appear to be when she and Rory went to the diner after the meeting.

Edited by dustylil

True, he didn't literally attend them all, but I think the point is that in the episode where Luke and Lorelai are dating and on their way to a meeting, the show is acting like Lorelai has to drag him there, as if he didn't regularly go of his own accord in the past.

I agree with the original comment - it made no sense and was just lazy writing to have them "cute bickering" over something to distract Lorelai when Emily called.

• Love 3

Except that all of the other dancers were wearing flat shoes as far as I could see.  Even in costume you can find appropriate flat shoes to match.  Of course, then we wouldn't have had the whole "repair my shoe, Luke" scene.  

Which brings up another nitpick - what kind of glue sets that fast and can fix a spike heel to support the weight of a full grown albeit slim woman?

I hate that episode.

Yeah then I have no clue. Lorelai said she thought the shoes were cute so I'm assuming the thought process ended there. Which I suppose goes with her character.

So for the few years that Lorelai had participated in the dance, was Rory only there intermittently? How would she not remember that the dance had that run around thing? Would Lorelai never complain about it? If this is was an annual dance (that never happened again) surely Rory would have had some exposure to the run. It just seems weird that she had to ask, midrun, what the deal was.

Also, is it fair that Lorelai used her card to leave the floor but basically had Dean prop Rory up? That seems to be an oversight of the rules because a dance marathon like that shouldn't allow substitutions.

• Love 2
That seems to be an oversight of the rules because a dance marathon like that shouldn't allow substitutions.

Taylor on bullhorn:  "Unauthorized person on the dance floor.  Unauthorized person on the dance floor."

• Love 3

Taylor on bullhorn:  "Unauthorized person on the dance floor.  Unauthorized person on the dance floor."

I haven't seen the episode in a bit, wasn't that when Jess walked onto the floor with his gf? But regardless having Dean there should have DQ'ed them immediately and that would have been the end of the dance for them right then and there for them and the entire scene with Jess wouldn't have happened. Also, where was Lorelai during that whole thing? Did both she and Luke go to the bathroom when Dean was very loudly yelling at Rory in that not so big gym? His coffee thing was pretty close to where they were.

Ok, I need to not obsess over this.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 2

Yes, that was when Jess and Shane walked across the dance floor to the bleachers, banging into dancer along the way.

I thought Taylor said that in the absence of one of a pair - and the showing of  a yellow card - that as long  as  the other dancer remained on the floor - and in motion - the couple was deemed not to have abandoned their position.

So for the few years that Lorelai had participated in the dance, was Rory only there intermittently? How would she not remember that the dance had that run around thing? Would Lorelai never complain about it? If this is was an annual dance (that never happened again) surely Rory would have had some exposure to the run. It just seems weird that she had to ask, midrun, what the deal was.

I could believe that Rory had only been there intermittently on previous occasions. For all her faults, Lorelai was a fairly responsible parent. To say nothing of having some regard for her reputation among the townies as a devoted mother. Why would she have her young teenage daughter get up an extremely ungodly (particularly by Gilmore standards) hour and then miss a night of sleep just to watch her mother fulfil  her own competitive dream?

If this was the first time Rory participated in the dance marathon, I could understand that she wouldn't know all the ins and outs of it - like that runaround segment. In the dialogue of that scene Lorelai herself appeared to have forgotten it. Perhaps like some women forget the pain of childbirth :)

• Love 2

Yes, that was when Jess and Shane walked across the dance floor to the bleachers, banging into dancer along the way.

I thought Taylor said that in the absence of one of a pair - and the showing of  a yellow card - that as long  as  the other dancer remained on the floor - and in motion - the couple was deemed not to have abandoned their position.

I could believe that Rory had only been there intermittently on previous occasions. For all her faults, Lorelai was a fairly responsible parent. To say nothing of having some regard for her reputation among the townies as a devoted mother. Why would she have her young teenage daughter get up an extremely ungodly (particularly by Gilmore standards) hour and then miss a night of sleep just to watch her mother fulfil  her own competitive dream?

If this was the first time Rory participated in the dance marathon, I could understand that she wouldn't know all the ins and outs of it - like that runaround segment. In the dialogue of that scene Lorelai herself appeared to have forgotten it. Perhaps like some women forget the pain of childbirth :)

But first of all, Dean's already an unauthorized person on the dance floor so the burly security guy in the background (seriously guys, go check out the scene, theres a guy in all black wearing a shirt that says security looking wide awake and just staring at everyone, it's hilarious) should have removed him.  However back to the other issue of swapping, it's a flaw in the system especially for something like a dance marathon that goes to last couple standing. It feels like a semantics thing that would have been rectified very early on in the dance marathons run. It should be one of those things where it doesn't need to be said that the partner on the floor has to remain standing and moving without aid. I mean this is a personal nitpick but once you start substituting people in for your couple for any amount of time (max being 2-10 minute intervals at least if the yellow card is only allowed once per person) the entire concept of "last couple standing" starts breaking down. And I can't believe I just spend a good amount of time reading up on dance marathons. It's actually a fascinating history.

In this episode, she made her high school age teenage daughter miss a night of sleep to fulfill her own competitive dream. Being a senior in high school or a junior in high school doesn't matter, the approximate sleep a teenager needs at that stage of development is about the same in both years.

It seems like it'd be something they'd write up and photograph in the Stars Hollow gazette. You can only have so many pictures of couples dancing, having a photo of the run around is something I know photographers would like to mix it up. Sorry, I don't believe for an instant that Rory would not know of this tradition in this somewhat big annual event that her mother has entered. The event would obviously be covered in the Stars Hollow gazette and they would have written about making the dancers run probably every year. Since Rory's a newspaper reading addict (who even had the Stars Hollow gazette delivered to Yale) she would have read about it. Rory is also anal retentive enough to have read the information and rules of the dance marathon cover to cover. Something like this is going to be in there.

• Love 1

In this episode, she made her high school age teenage daughter miss a night of sleep to fulfill her own competitive dream. Being a senior in high school or a junior in high school doesn't matter, the approximate sleep a teenager needs at that stage of development is about the same in both years

Rory was eighteen in that episode. I guess I figured at that age she could suck it up :)

Being a fan of Sing, Sing, Sing I was happily watching the first scenes of the dance-a-thon earlier and was surprised to see a number of women wearing heels. I did wonder how many of them lasted any length of time on the dance floor though.

To add to the nitpicks for this episode, it this was a fund-raising event, why did they have live musicians - rather than recorded music? I understand that Stars Hollow was a magical place, but was there really a  local, very capable, swing band able to volunteer their services for all those hours?

Actually Luke did not attend all the town meetings.  He was not at the one where Stars Hollow became the venue for the Festival of Living Art (or whatever it was called). I recall being surprised by his absence. However, Lorelai  didn't appear to be when she and Rory went to the diner after the meeting.

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit but the point is that he attended a lot of town meetings prior to that relationship.... He even took Nicole to one and I don't remember if Rachel went to any but I do remember her waiting for him at the diner (before she left town) to come back from a town meeting. They even re-scheduled the "Jess" meeting so Luke wouldn't be there to hear them talk about him. That means - to me at least - that from season one we're being given the impression that he's a regular at these things. Then BAM! Luke hates town meetings but is going only because Lorelai is? As @takalotti said, it was just lazy writing on their part.

Also, is it fair that Lorelai used her card to leave the floor but basically had Dean prop Rory up? That seems to be an oversight of the rules because a dance marathon like that shouldn't allow substitutions.

I agree that I also had a problem with the "Rory doesn't know what happens at the dance marathon" thing. Are we really meant to believe that in 18 years of marathons (yeah. right.) the BFF-mother-and-daughter-who-do-and-share-everything-together duo didn't attend it together at some point or that Lorelai shared every detail of the experience? 

I didn't think anything of Dean propping Rory up because while I don't think it would be allowed in a regular dance marathon, I just put it down as one of those "Star Hollow" things... 

• Love 2

Can we move on to a few episodes later with Kirk and Cat Kirk? They keep talking about the scratches on Kirk,but there is no makeup on Sean Gunn to go along with what they're talking about. There's maybe two gauzes but nothing else. Did they spend their entire early season budget on the dance marathon?

• Love 2
Ah, continuity.  That most nebulous of concepts in Gilmoreworld.

Heh.  I do remember the occasional outside shot where Lorelai's hair would start off straight and suddenly go curly in the course of what would have been a minute or two in terms of the episode. 

I just watched this episode. Before she leaves for school, Rory also tells her mom that she has "a bunch of newspaper stuff" to do after school before the graduation. So we know she had to have gotten busted in some way. As unlikely as it is that she'd escape being in trouble from the school authorities for ditching, there's noooooo way she'd be able to escape the wrath of Paris for shirking her duties on the Franklin. 

• Love 2

In watching Season 6, I have to ask: Why do Emily and Richard have such a gargantuan amount of food at their breakfast table?  There are like twenty croissants!  What in the world are they planning to do with all that food? 

• Love 2

In the season one episode where Dean brings over pizza and, gasp, salad (though we saw Lor eating salad directly from a bag a few eps earlier, anyway) the cuts are ridiculous. salad goes from closed to open to having some on the fork. It's really funny to watch.  Is that Double Date?

--

I can't decide if this is a nitpick or a UO, but WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE YES STRAUB AND FRANCINE COME OVER TO FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER!  I mean, sure, hindsight at rewatching and all, but Lorelai doesn't like the Haydens from her "Snickerfritzes" comment, and it's pretty obvious that two people who haven't shown a bit of interest in their only grandchild (presumably?) at the time who is now 16 probably aren't going to be very nice people.

• Love 1

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE YES STRAUB AND FRANCINE COME OVER TO FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER

Well, it was Emily doing the inviting. It was undoubtedly part of her long standing plan to get Christopher and Lorelai married off. Something she continued to do for most of the next four years. In her fevered and narrowly focussed mind, having the two sets of grandparents, the good-looking, well-bred young parents and the lovely and charming young girl all together was a recipe for matrimony - however belated.

I can't decide if this is a nitpick or a UO, but WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE YES STRAUB AND FRANCINE COME OVER TO FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER!  I mean, sure, hindsight at rewatching and all, but Lorelai doesn't like the Haydens from her "Snickerfritzes" comment, and it's pretty obvious that two people who haven't shown a bit of interest in their only grandchild (presumably?) at the time who is now 16 probably aren't going to be very nice people.

In fairness to Emily, it was a very complicated situation.  When Christopher came back for his visit, I can see why maybe she might try to reach out to them out of some hope for a reconciliation, as Emily, Richard and Lorelai had somewhat recently ended their estrangement.

Something she continued to do for most of the next four years. In her fevered and narrowly focused mind, having the two sets of grandparents, the good-looking, well-bred young parents and the lovely and charming young girl all together was a recipe for matrimony - however belated.

I don't think that was the case.  I don't recall Emily ever reaching out to them again after that episode.  However, I could be wrong, so if you can point us to other episodes where Emily was trying to get Straub and Francine back into the picture as part of her desire to marry Christopher and Lorelai off, I'm happy to correct myself.     

Edited by txhorns79

Well, not many people would argue Emily is in her right mind ;)

I think Emily went the typical New Englander route of "if we pretend everything is fine, then everything will be fine" when planning the happy family gathering. I think she also counted on the Haydens' manners to trump any lingering discomfort or awkwardness with the gathering.

I don't think dustylil meant Emily continued to mix the Haydens and Gilmores for four years. Just that she continued to set up "oh isn't this nice?" situations to hopefully kickstart something between Lorelai and Chris.

• Love 2
I think Emily went the typical New Englander route of "if we pretend everything is fine, then everything will be fine" when planning the happy family gathering. I think she also counted on the Haydens' manners to trump any lingering discomfort or awkwardness with the gathering.

I was thinking she might have been hoping that time heals wounds, but obviously this show wouldn't exist if that were the case! 

I don't think dustylil meant Emily continued to mix the Haydens and Gilmores for four years

You are quite right, I didn't. I thought it was clear in my post that I was referring to Emily's efforts over the next four years to get Christopher and Lorelai together again and wed. Of course, Emily was handicapped for a while by Christopher's marriage to Sherry. However, once that obstacle was out of the way, she was back at it. Emily  only gave up after the vow renewal debacle.

In the season one episode where Dean brings over pizza and, gasp, salad (though we saw Lor eating salad directly from a bag a few eps earlier, anyway) the cuts are ridiculous. salad goes from closed to open to having some on the fork. It's really funny to watch.  Is that Double Date?

The one that bothers me the most is in 601 when Lorelai proposes, her hair goes back and forth from behind her shoulder to in front of it in every shot, and it bugs me every single time! Not to mention the changes from 522 to 601. Besides Lorelai's hair looking different and Rory's hair becoming longer and lighter in one night, and even Luke wearing a wig, all the mugs behind Luke change colour during the proposal scene between seasons. 

They really dropped the ball with those kinds of things on this show.

Edited by stopthestatic

The one that bothers me the most is in 601 when Lorelai proposes, her hair goes back and forth from behind her shoulder to in front of it in every shot, and it bugs me every single time! Not to mention the changes from 522 to 601. Besides Lorelai's hair looking different and Rory's hair becoming longer and lighter in one night, and even Luke wearing a wig, all the mugs behind Luke change colour during the proposal scene between seasons

I know how you feel. There are some other variations in the diner as well from 5.22 to 6.01 as Lorelai asks and Luke responds. And of course just before the start of the first episode of the sixth season, many stations begin with Lorelai's proposal as  the "previously on Gilmore Girls" making the differences in the two scenes  - supposedly taking place over a matter of seconds -  even more stark. 

Perhaps someone could set up a version of the children's puzzle game of Spot the Differences to see how many changes there were in those two diner scenes :)

• Love 1
I thought it was clear in my post that I was referring to Emily's efforts over the next four years to get Christopher and Lorelai together again and wed.

How odd.  I must have misunderstood your reference to having the two sets of grandparents together and took it to mean something else entirely.  Oh well.  I'm glad you explained what you actually meant to help clarify. 

The one that bothers me the most is in 601 when Lorelai proposes, her hair goes back and forth from behind her shoulder to in front of it in every shot, and it bugs me every single time! Not to mention the changes from 522 to 601.

Continuity is not the show's friend.  It's the danger of ending on a cliffhanger and starting right where the cliffhanger left off.  And yeah, Luke's wig is just terrible. 

Edited by txhorns79

Continuity is not the show's friend.  It's the danger of ending on a cliffhanger and starting right where the cliffhanger left off.  And yeah, Luke's wig is just terrible. 

It happened so often, I always wondered why they didn't just go on and finish the scene during the initial filming, and split it over their two episodes. When they show the scene "Dean's POV" in the beginning of season 5, I spend the whole time looking for differences between that one and the end of season 4 too. Seems like they could have just had a camera on JP while filming the season 4 version, and held that film to slip into the season 5 opener.  But what do I know? I'm just a continuity nitpicker. LOL  This show is really not good for that personality trait.

I suspect the reason they didn't do things like that though, is because they never thought that far ahead. sigh.  They probably didn't even know what Luke's answer to the proposal would be until they got together to start working on season 6.  Sometimes I hate that I love this show. LOL

• Love 2