Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, hippielamb said:

Really? I am also in Ontario and can't imagine it. Maybe Lorelai has some great insulation on that porch lol 

The towns were in cottage country. Obviously once finances improved,  the washers and dryers were moved inside. As to insulation, I think the machines were generally positioned to take advantage of the warmth of the kitchen in addition to whatever protective material was in place on the porch itself. I can't imagine Lorelai taking any notice of the matter, either accepting what was there when they moved in or more likely relying on Luke to attend to it.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

In Emily in Wonderland, Rory takes Emily around town, notably to Kim's Antiques, on a Saturday. In It Should Have Been Lorelai, Mrs. Kim says the store is open Sunday through Friday

Hey, that's right! Of course I want to know why did the devout Mrs. Kim - whose Sabbath was Saturday - have her store open on that day. And for that matter, what was she doing at the dance marathon- very early on a Saturday morning, providing food and refreshments in support of a frivolous town fundraiser? Shouldn't she have been at home (or church) resting and worshipping?

• Love 2

Of course I want to know why did the devout Mrs. Kim - whose Sabbath was Saturday - have her store open on that day.

Necessity?  It would probably hurt her business, in a town where the customer base was primarily tourists, to be closed on a Saturday.   

And for that matter, what was she doing at the dance marathon- very early on a Saturday morning, providing food and refreshments in support of a frivolous town fundraiser? Shouldn't she have been at home (or church) resting and worshiping?

If I recall correctly, she used the event to proselytize.  Though, why wouldn't she want to help raise money for the town?  I don't recall her dismissing town fundraisers as "frivolous."   

In The Long Morrow when Luke shows up at Lorelai's door ready to elope he has looked up a range of options as to how they might do it. He tells her that he's done some reading on the subject and they could even get a sea-captain to marry them. So he had to look that up and acts slightly surprised that it's a possibility when that was exactly how he'd previously been married.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, AllyB said:

So he had to look that up and acts slightly surprised that it's a possibility when that was exactly how he'd previously been married

Yeah. That was when I began to have my doubts about the new showrunner and the seventh season.

What happened to Alex?

The last mention of him that I am aware of is after Lorelei kissed Max when she was on the booster club and she is talking to Sookie about it, saying she doesn't know what it means. She says she is still sort of dating Alex. After that, poof, he's never mentioned again to my knowledge. 

• Love 1

Did the actor become unavailable and they just ignored his existence? We are left to presume that she broke up with him off-screen following what happened with Max.

12 hours ago, dustylil said:

Yeah. That was when I began to have my doubts about the new showrunner and the seventh season.

I've just watched the first 2 episodes of season 7 on my rewatch and it's very, very different. Rory in particular is very over-acted for some reason, and Lorelai is really weird in her scenes with Rory. I never took too much notice first time I watched but it's really hard to watch. I'm hoping that when Emily and Richard reappear after being missing for the first couple of episodes it settles. But then I remember Kristen Ritter is going to show up. :(

I live in CT, right outside of New Haven to be exact and there are so many things about Yale that are totally wrong. Yale is set like in the middle of New Haven, in one of the nicer areas of the city. I know that the entrance to Branford looks exactly like how they portray it. The city of New Haven is terribly disgusting though, Yale is like a diamond in the rough. I remember Lorelai and Rory going shopping in New Haven near Yale and I don't think there's much in the way of shopping unless you go to Broadway where there's a an apple store and such. 

Also another thing that bothers me is that Stars Hollow is supposedly right where Washington Depot is and that's an hour away from Hartford off of 84, not 95. 95 runs along the shoreline, 91 runs through the middle and 84 runs across. 

Also another thing that bothers me is that Stars Hollow is supposedly right where Washington Depot is and that's an hour away from Hartford off of 84, not 95. 95 runs along the shoreline, 91 runs through the middle and 84 runs across. 

I know they have said Stars Hollow is based, in part, on Washington Depot, but I don't recall them saying it was supposed to mirror Washington Depot's location in the state. 

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

I live in CT, right outside of New Haven to be exact and there are so many things about Yale that are totally wrong. Yale is set like in the middle of New Haven, in one of the nicer areas of the city. I know that the entrance to Branford looks exactly like how they portray it. The city of New Haven is terribly disgusting though, Yale is like a diamond in the rough. I remember Lorelai and Rory going shopping in New Haven near Yale and I don't think there's much in the way of shopping unless you go to Broadway where there's a an apple store and such. 

Thanks for the info, Heatherrrrz. Washington Depot is only the look and feel of the town of Stars Hollow, not the location.  You inspired me to finally triangulate the likely location of Stars Hollow.

Here's the map. It's a very rough estimate. As it turns out, New Haven, as we are informed by Jess, 22.8 miles from Stars Hollow, is roughly at the level of Meriden, CT. When I did a rough estimate of half an hour outside of Hartford, it comes up to about the same location. 

So if anyone is looking at a map, imagining where SH might be, start at Meriden, CT. I'm guessing that 5 miles in any direction would be a reasonable location for Stars Hollow. 

Sorry about the large size of the graphic, I haven't figured out how to post it smaller within the message, and if I shrank the map, it wouldn't be legible.

stars-hollow-triangulation.jpg

Interesting, Meriden is about a half hour ride to Hartford and New Haven so that could be correct. For some reason, they always played up Stars Hollow as being more towards Northern CT. In any case though, she still has to take 91 to Hartford and New Haven. 

13 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Washington Depot is only the look and feel of the town of Stars Hollow, not the location

I wish they had actually been able to shoot some establishing shots of Washington Depot in the pilot to get a sense of Stars Hollow, rather than a town of similar vintage in another country.  I understand  of course it was largely a matter of cost. But given how important a part Stars Hollow itself played in the series, it would have been nice to see the place that inspired it.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, sara416 said:

What happened to Alex?

The last mention of him that I am aware of is after Lorelei kissed Max when she was on the booster club and she is talking to Sookie about it, saying she doesn't know what it means. She says she is still sort of dating Alex. After that, poof, he's never mentioned again to my knowledge. 

This REALLY bothered me as well. Like, could we at least have some explanation, even a little mention that she decided to end it. Especially after they told us she really liked him.

In Knit People Lorelai and Sookie are discussing places Jackson and Christopher could go to together and 'pancakes at Al's' is one of the suggestions. But Al's Pancakes World not actually being a pancake house was one of the longest running jokes of the series.

• Love 3
(edited)

This is terrible, but I'm so distracted by LG's face in season 7. I just feel hyper-aware of Lorelai's expressions! There's definitely whole lot of the clenching of jaw followed by shiny, wet eyes of woe or joy. I suppose the end of her relationship with Luke left her in a terribly sad and fragile state, which Lorelai didn't really give herself time to heal for, before jumping in another relationship. So there's definitely some of that, but I can't help but feel there's something really off about how LG plays Lorelai this season. Even the pitch of her voice is weird and there's a notable lack of energy.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

This is terrible, but I'm so distracted by LG's face in season 7. I just feel hyper-aware of Lorelai's expressions! There's definitely whole lot of the clenching of jaw followed by shiny, wet eyes of woe or joy. I suppose the end of her relationship with Luke left her in a terribly sad and fragile state, which Lorelai didn't really give herself time to heal for, before jumping in another relationship. So there's definitely some of that, but I can't help but feel there's something really off about how LG plays Lorelai this season. Even the pitch of her voice is weird and there's a notable lack of energy.

I think most of the characters felt a little off in season 7 at least some/most of time.  Just watched ep 1, thought  the dialogue sounded off as well.

(edited)

I think most of the characters felt a little off in season 7 at least some/most of time.

True. All the actors seem to be overracting one way or another, at the least.

I think Rory is okay in general (in the sense that the writing and the acting continues with the thread from the previous seasons) but the writing for Lorelai is the one that suffers the most this season, imo. And this is insane because I remember always liking s7 better than s6! So I don't know why I'm so bothered by it this time around. Lorelai just seems so miserable...and of man, the jaw thing! There's just too much jaw! Even when she smiles she does this chewing thing -- okay, I'll stop now.

Also, is it me or do we get more close-ups this season? Maybe that's it!

(edited)

I just realized that somewhere after breaking things up with Christopher, Lorelai's face stopped looking strange to me and by episode 19 she's back to s5/s6 level of gorgeousness without the annoying jaw ticks. Huh. Bad case of facial fillers maybe?

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

I just realized that somewhere after breaking things up with Christopher, Lorelai's face stopped looking strange to me and by episode 19 she's back to s5/s6 level of gorgeousness without the annoying jaw ticks. Huh. Bad case of facial fillers maybe?

I think it's because she seemed happier again. She could be cute with Christopher, but they put her in situations in season 7, like getting married without their daughter present (so she was on edge when they came back, and for some reason, she alone got the backlash from Rory - Chris is her dad, and was there too - it wasn't Lorelai's decision alone), dealing with her parents, and a party she didn't really want (because it wasn't her scene, or because she seemed to be more concerned with everyone else, than she was of Christopher's feelings - like she wasn't so in love that she would love to relive it again for her family). Christopher talking about Rory's room now being Gigi's room (another change she hadn't considered, and wasn't thrilled about). It seemed like she was walking on eggshells a lot - I remember when I first watched it, she seemed so different, even though she hadn't seemed like herself during season 6, with Luke and her issues with not being allowed around April, or that he hadn't told her. It was weird seeing her so off-kilter. Or was it just me, projecting it onto the character?

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3

In The Fesitival of Living Art episode, Kirk is parked in a red zone. In a previous episode (maybe when Jess got his car?) Kirk says he wishes his mom would let him have a car....or a bike. 

In the same episode, Lorelai wants to be the Renoir girls so she can wear the beautiful dress. She doesn't get to actually wear it though. She wears a blouse and jeans. 

• Love 2

In the famous FIrst Kiss scene, first Luke kisses Lorelai, then Lorelai kisses Luke.  There were NOT kissing when NakedKirk ran down the sitars.  But later he babbles on about how he ran past them kissing. Didn't happen.

• Love 6

In I Solemnly Swear, we have FND. The next scene is Rory at school followed by her coming home and complaining to Lorelai. Lest you think her complaining was Monday and they just skipped the weekend, it had only been a few days since Alex and Lorelai met.

(edited)

In I Solemnly Swear, we have FND. The next scene is Rory at school followed by her coming home and complaining to Lorelai. Lest you think her complaining was Monday and they just skipped the weekend, it had only been a few days since Alex and Lorelai met.

I think you may go insane trying to figure out the timeline during certain episodes.  I could swear there are times when the girls attend two FNDs per week. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I think you may go insane trying to figure out the timeline during certain episodes.  I could swear there are times when the girls attend two FNDs per week. 

Agreed, and I've long felt that Season 3 is the worst season as far as continuity, but it was more of a feeling. So now I'm picking out the examples to back up my long-standing claim. :)

(edited)

Re-watching season 1 and while I can understand Mrs. Kim not finding out about the floorboards, it always surprised me that she never went into Lane's closet before season 4. Unless Lane changed her closet every day before going to school. 

And what kind of business class is Lorelai taking in the first two seasons? There's....lots of business classes. Be more specific! Did she get her Associate's in general business? Business administration? Probably a stupid nitpick, but it always bugged me that they just had Lorelai refer to it as her business class.

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 2

Re-watching season 1 and while I can understand Mrs. Kim not finding out about the floorboards, it always surprised me that she never went into Lane's closet before season 4. Unless Lane changed her closet every day before going to school. 

The closet was bizarre.  Literally, all Mrs. Kim would have to do is open the closet door and she'd see a huge pile of forbidden objects.  I think it's just one of those things we were just supposed to consider, then immediately forget and never discuss again. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

The closet was bizarre.  Literally, all Mrs. Kim would have to do is open the closet door and she'd see a huge pile of forbidden objects.  I think it's just one of those things we were just supposed to consider, then immediately forget and never discuss again. 

Exactly! But yes, I suspect you're correct that we were supposed to forget about it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JaggedLilPill said:

And what kind of business class is Lorelai taking in the first two seasons? There's....lots of business classes. Be more specific! Did she get her Associate's in general business? Business administration? Probably a stupid nitpick, but it always bugged me that they just had Lorelai refer to it as her business class.

Speaking of education, I was more puzzled by the fact that despite Rory attending Yale for four  years of the series, we only learned of her major  in a throwaway line in the last season to one of Logan's friends. It was English by the way. It would have been interesting to hear Rory explain why she thought that particular major would better prepare her for a career in journalism than say political science, economics, sociology or any other of a number of fields. And given her ambition to be a foreign correspondent, why not East Asian or African studies?

Speaking of education, I was more puzzled by the fact that despite Rory attending Yale for four  years of the series, we only learned of her major  in a throwaway line in the last season to one of Logan's friends. It was English by the way. It would have been interesting to hear Rory explain why she thought that particular major would better prepare her for a career in journalism than say political science, economics, sociology or any other of a number of fields. And given her ambition to be a foreign correspondent, why not East Asian or African studies?

Interesting. I never realized that it was actually ever mentioned. I know she wanted to be a journalist but as I recall someone mentioned that journalism wasn't an actual major so she'd have to choose something that would benefit that. 

• Love 1

Was it ever explained why Sookie changed from home birth to hospital for baby #2?  Also, who was watching Davey when they took off for the hospital?  Lorelei met them at the hospital and Rory (who was grossed out by contractions) went back to Yale. I guess we are supposed to assume they called another neighbor, but a throw away line would have been nice. 

• Love 1

Interesting. I never realized that it was actually ever mentioned. I know she wanted to be a journalist but as I recall someone mentioned that journalism wasn't an actual major so she'd have to choose something that would benefit that. 

Yeah, I'd think if you were going into a career where your writing skills were going to be important, English would be a natural choice as a major.  I mean, even broadcast journalists typically have to be able to write copy for their stories, along with editing other peoples' work. 

2 hours ago, HooHooHoo said:

Was it ever explained why Sookie changed from home birth to hospital for baby #2?  Also, who was watching Davey when they took off for the hospital?  Lorelei met them at the hospital and Rory (who was grossed out by contractions) went back to Yale. I guess we are supposed to assume they called another neighbor, but a throw away line would have been nice. 

Given that she was on bedrest, I think we can safely assume that a homebirth was out of the question for her.  Homebirths are typically only done in pregnancies without complications.

53 minutes ago, deaja said:

Given that she was on bedrest, I think we can safely assume that a homebirth was out of the question for her.  Homebirths are typically only done in pregnancies without complications.

Another reason why Jackson's rather devil-may-care attitude toward birth control from the end of season 5 was so surprising to me.

I always hated how they always ordered take-out. For not having much money and cutting coupons, eating out is very expensive. It always bothered me, as did Lorelai buying takeout for all those ditzy girls during the first week of Yale. That must have been thousands of dollars worth of food- maybe a few items or types of food would have been more realistic. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, twoods said:

I always hated how they always ordered take-out. For not having much money and cutting coupons, eating out is very expensive. It always bothered me, as did Lorelai buying takeout for all those ditzy girls during the first week of Yale. That must have been thousands of dollars worth of food- maybe a few items or types of food would have been more realistic. 

Ahh, the magic of Gilmore finances. In the food case, it truly surpasses their reputation for eating enormous amounts of food, since we regularly saw them not eating what they'd ordered. 

Let's say they ate two meals a day, with the rest being incidental food like candy or eating at the inn, etc. 

At least one meal was probably at Luke's, which had its own magical financing. If we presume they paid less than half of what he would normally charge, that would be 7 meals a week at, say, $5, for a weekly total of $35. Let's round it up to $50.

If the rest were takeout, and they spread one order out over three days like they claimed, then 7 entrees at $5 each would be about $35, ordered twice a week, for $70. 

Add to that $30 for the unknown amount of snacks, total it all up, and a rough and low estimate would be $150 per week for two people, or $650 per month over a year.

One US datapoint indicated that in 2004, a $400 food budget was reasonable for two adults. The lowball Gilmore budget therefore is about 150 % higher. That's probably affordable, given that Lorelai didn't save money, and the Independence Inn seemed to be large enough to provide a reasonably large income well out of the poverty range. 

Sure, they were dependent on Emily and Richard for emergencies and Luke for house maintenance and a host of other services, but the numbers work sorta.

My nitpick about this topic - how could Lorelai live with herself knowing she was always teetering on financial disaster through her own choices? That's some major denial.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, deaja said:

That makes sense. Forgot about the bed rest. Thanks!

My nitpick about this topic - how could Lorelai live with herself knowing she was always teetering on financial disaster through her own choices? That's some major denial.

Yes, for all of Lorelai's talk of making it on her own, she seemed to have no real idea as to how to budget.  I know we saw her finally making some decent choices in Season 4 (like when she had normal food in her fridge to indicate she'd been eating at home) and she cut down on her cable channels, but that was when she was essentially at the point of bankruptcy. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Yes, for all of Lorelai's talk of making it on her own, she seemed to have no real idea as to how to budget.  I know we saw her finally making some decent choices in Season 4 (like when she had normal food in her fridge to indicate she'd been eating at home) and she cut down on her cable channels, but that was when she was essentially at the point of bankruptcy. 

Yet she had vegetables of all things!  She doesn't eat them...again with the poor continuity. 

• Love 2

Aside from all the money they spent on ordering in, it must be really nice to not work out at all and, yet, maintain their figures with all of the take out they eat. I guess I can fanwank them having naturally fast metabolisms, but one would think they might still have to worry about too much sodium, sugar (all the coffee they drink!), high cholesterol, etc.

I agree with whomever it was who hated Lorelai's Yale food ordering binge. I get what they were going for, but the same could have been achieved with just pizza or just Chinese food.

It's not like Yale doesn't have a cafeteria, Lorelai. I am sure Rory would not starve if she didn't have a ranking of every kind of take out within a certain radius. Sheesh.

• Love 2

I agree with whomever it was who hated Lorelai's Yale food ordering binge. I get what they were going for, but the same could have been achieved with just pizza or just Chinese food.

Yes, you do have to figure that given the amount of people and places ordered from, Lorelai must have spent well over a grand (perhaps even two grand) that night just on food. 

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, junienmomo said:

If we presume they paid less than half of what he would normally charge, that would be 7 meals a week at, say, $5, for a weekly total of $35. Let's round it up to $50.

That seems that'd work for only one person, for two people it'd be more. No way that Luke would charge $2.50 each for entrees. So ~$100 would be more accurate.  So it'd be ~$800/month with the rest of what you factored in. And I think you were definitely holding back on costs. So really, I think the two of them were basically eating what my rent used to be.

Edited by solotrek
my bad math
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, solotrek said:

That seems that'd work for only one person, for two people it'd be more. No way that Luke would charge $2.50 each for entrees. So ~$100 would be more accurate.  So it'd be ~$800/month with the rest of what you factored in. And I think you were definitely holding back on costs. So really, I think the two of them were basically eating what my rent used to be.

Oh yeah, I was definitely estimating the low end. Not knowing how much she earned as the manager of a fairly upscale inn, I had in mind a salary from $50,000 to $70,000. 

If she's not saving, has no car payment (another big assumption) and her salary were significantly above the $50k, then $800 a month would also work. I still shudder at the lack of emergency fund.

• Love 1

I also wonder how much money the Dragonfly was bringing in during the last couple of seasons. 

We know from NMIP! that they didn't have a big lunch crowd and it would be better for business to drop it entirely, but I got the impression that in seasons 6 and 7 they were doing well enough. Not rich enough to build a spa or whatever else Emily was suggesting, but not in season 4 territory either.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, I was definitely estimating the low end. Not knowing how much she earned as the manager of a fairly upscale inn, I had in mind a salary from $50,000 to $70,000. 

I think that seems fair for the time period.  Though I also admit I have no idea what she would be earning in that job.  All we know is that she wasn't able to save a lot of money, which would indicate to me either that she was living beyond her means, or she was spending wildly on things she didn't need.     

We know from NMIP! that they didn't have a big lunch crowd and it would be better for business to drop it entirely, but I got the impression that in seasons 6 and 7 they were doing well enough. Not rich enough to build a spa or whatever else Emily was suggesting, but not in season 4 territory either.

At some point, I think Lorelai says they are regularly 95% booked?  Maybe when she gives the magazine interview where she compares Emily to Pol Pot?      

(edited)
On 6/8/2016 at 8:35 AM, txhorns79 said:

On the Gilmore Guys podcast with Helen Pai, she said she had a closet like Lane's, where she hid forbidden stuff. However, it probably wasn't as extensive as Lane's closet. I'm guessing things were hidden better, and Lane's closet was dramatized for the show. While it wasn't realistic, I thought it was kind of fun to see it.

3 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Aside from all the money they spent on ordering in, it must be really nice to not work out at all and, yet, maintain their figures with all of the take out they eat. I guess I can fanwank them having naturally fast metabolisms, but one would think they might still have to worry about too much sodium, sugar (all the coffee they drink!), high cholesterol, etc.

It's not like Yale doesn't have a cafeteria, Lorelai. I am sure Rory would not starve if she didn't have a ranking of every kind of take out within a certain radius. Sheesh.

I think eating massive amounts of junk food, while maintaining a healthy, slim figure, was sort of a wish fulfillment. It's what most people would like to do, but never can manage it. Sort of like the best friends mother/daughter relationship. Another wish fulfillment that doesn't really happen, but fun to watch.

But yeah, none of it was realistic.

Edited by Leonana
  • Love 3

But the Inn has a restaurant, and Lorelai's best friend is the chef!  Why are Lorelai and Rory eating out at all? Lorelai runs the place for an absentee owner, why isn't she eating free at the Inn?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, clack said:

But the Inn has a restaurant, and Lorelai's best friend is the chef!  Why are Lorelai and Rory eating out at all? Lorelai runs the place for an absentee owner, why isn't she eating free at the Inn?

In part perhaps  because the Inn had effective cost controls. I recall from the Chilton fashion show episode, they had to find another use for lettuce that  had been planned to for part of the meal.  I can see the staff (including Lorelai) having access to leftovers, errors in dining room orders and such like. But I don't think most profitable hospitality businesses are going to be feeding their non-kitchen staff on an ongoing basis.

I think it would be inappropriate for Lorelai to regularly have gotten free meals at the Inn when she was managing the place.  She runs the place, but it isn't "her" place, so to speak and if she's eating for "free," that would have meant Mia was picking up the cost.  Now, at the Dragonfly, I would agree it would make sense if Lorelai was taking all her meals there, since she owns the place. 

• Love 2