Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

I hope this nitpick isn't already posted, I haven't read all of the pages.  Lorelai makes fun of Luke having a single bed, (sorry, I don't remember what episode).  Then, when Rachel comes back, I'm assuming they aren't sleeping in a single bed together, right? So, where did she sleep?  Then, Luke renovates the apartment when Jess comes to town, and in A Tale of Poes and Fire, Lorelai needs a bed and she and Luke are clearly putting sheets on a single bed and Jess is in his own bed.  Was Jess in a double bed?  The reason I ask is because once Luke and Lorelai start dating, in Written in the Stars, they are clearly in a double bed.  l've never looked close enough to tell if the double bed is in the same spot where the single bed was in ATOPAF, but it sure seems like it. 

Very silly nitpick: I noticed that Netflix's GG episode summaries sometimes refer to Logan as Rory's boyfriend, sometimes as her "beau," especially in season 7. I could see Lorelai and Rory snarking at using the word "beau" in the early 2000s, and it's odd that by season 7 when Logan and Rory are definitely serious, that he's back to being called a generic beau. 

That bugged me, too. Lorelai tried not to get to FND before seven, then frequently requested second cocktails, followed by wine and in that state she began searching for the quickest way to leave. I don't believe she could have passed an alcohol test under those conditions.

Thanks to this year's rewatch, I noticed that Rory had champagne to celebrate getting into Chilton. Since she was in private at her grandparents and her mother was also there, it wasn't illegal, but they sure bent over backwards in later episodes to be demonstrably not drinking alcohol. I'm guessing there was some outside influence on the producers there.

Being in private with her mother and grandparents doesn't make that legal, actually. That's why we didn't see them give Rory alcohol in later seasons, even when they were celebrating something - it's illegal to provide alcohol to minors, period.

Being in private with her mother and grandparents doesn't make that legal, actually. That's why we didn't see them give Rory alcohol in later seasons, even when they were celebrating something - it's illegal to provide alcohol to minors, period.

Actually as late as 2003, and Rory's entry to Chilton was in 2000, there was an exemption for parents in connecticut law. Of course, my information comes from the interwebs; CT seemed to be in the group of states that had parental exceptions back then. Don't know about now.

• Love 3

I hope this nitpick isn't already posted, I haven't read all of the pages.  Lorelai makes fun of Luke having a single bed, (sorry, I don't remember what episode).  Then, when Rachel comes back, I'm assuming they aren't sleeping in a single bed together, right? So, where did she sleep?  Then, Luke renovates the apartment when Jess comes to town, and in A Tale of Poes and Fire, Lorelai needs a bed and she and Luke are clearly putting sheets on a single bed and Jess is in his own bed.  Was Jess in a double bed?  The reason I ask is because once Luke and Lorelai start dating, in Written in the Stars, they are clearly in a double bed.  l've never looked close enough to tell if the double bed is in the same spot where the single bed was in ATOPAF, but it sure seems like it.

That assumption may be wrong, and I'll justify it with another assumption, LOL.

Why would Luke change his bed after Rachel left, especially if she had a tendency to boomerang?

That tells me that a single bed at series begin meant a single bed from the Rachel days up to either the Nicole or Lorelai relationship.

"You know what you get when you assume? What?"

• Love 1
Why would Luke change his bed after Rachel left, especially if she had a tendency to boomerang?

But why would she boomerang back to him and his bed? She realized that he no longer loved her romantically. And she appeared to have some self respect. Surely if she returned to Stars Hollow for whatever reason, she could find other places to stay.

But why would she boomerang back to him and his bed? She realized that he no longer loved her romantically. And she appeared to have some self respect. Surely if she returned to Stars Hollow for whatever reason, she could find other places to stay.

I meant boomerang as in pre-Lorelai. I understood that Rachel came back on occasion, she and Luke picked up their relationship again, and it lasted until she left.

Is that right?  I thought some states have laws that specify you can't sell alcohol to minors, serve them in a public establishment, be a straw buyer for them, etc., but they didn't specify what could happen in your own home. Obviously, you couldn't throw a party for kids where you serve them alcohol, but I don't know how the police would ever be able to enforce a law completely forbidding any alcohol in a situation where a parent gives the kid a glass of champagne at a celebratory dinner at home.  Maybe someone with a better knowledge of the law in Connecticut can explain how that would work.   

• Love 3

That assumption may be wrong, and I'll justify it with another assumption, LOL.

That tells me that a single bed at series begin meant a single bed from the Rachel days up to either the Nicole or Lorelai relationship.

"You know what you get when you assume? What?"

LOL.   I guess I have been assuming too much.  "Dirty" :)

I remember several times during the series, Lorelai had glasses on in some episodes, even reading at times. A person commented about her contacts and Lorelai replied: "I don't wear contacts!" Yet, she wears her glasses when she isn't reading and in the termite episode. She mentions to Kirk about wearing her glasses because of the weather. That always drove me crazy, if they had her wearing glasses because of reading only, they could have just made a passing comment. Yet, she wears them when she isn't reading or when episodes are clearly filmed early in the morning. 

• Love 1

I remember several times during the series, Lorelai had glasses on in some episodes, even reading at times. A person commented about her contacts and Lorelai replied: "I don't wear contacts!" Yet, she wears her glasses when she isn't reading and in the termite episode. She mentions to Kirk about wearing her glasses because of the weather. That always drove me crazy, if they had her wearing glasses because of reading only, they could have just made a passing comment. Yet, she wears them when she isn't reading or when episodes are clearly filmed early in the morning. 

Well, actually, the comment about not wearing contacts was in response to Rachel asking if her (blue) eyes were contact lenses, not about contacts in general.  She actually mentioned at least once that she does wear contacts (she was ranting about a bunch of things to someone - I think Rory - and said she put her contacts in backwards).

(she was ranting about a bunch of things to someone - I think Rory - and said she put her contacts in backwards).

It was in one of the first episodes - maybe Rory's first day of school?

In Rory's Birthday Parties, it always annoys me when Luke says he blew up Rory's balloons when it is clear they are helium balloons. And don't try to tell me he has his own helium tank...

On a related birthday note, I did not see a monogrammed or unicorn-themed  gift that should have been there along with the balloons and coffee cake. We know Luke did not bring the present to her party - he brought ice.

On a related birthday note, I did not see a monogrammed or unicorn-themed  gift that should have been there along with the balloons and coffee cake. We know Luke did not bring the present to her party - he brought ice.

LOL, if he was smart about gifts (and he reputedly was not), he would have bought her a gift certificate to andrew's bookstore. Better than a cat potholder anyway.

I can't believe that a high school would make a senior repeat his final year. Does that ever happen?

It happened to 2 students in my graduating class, but then I'm old. (222 seniors, 220 graduated)

• Love 1

I can't believe that a high school would make a senior repeat his final year. Does that ever happen?

Why wouldn't the school do that? After all, he wasn't a Gilmore.

But seriously though, if he didn't attend class, submit assignments, pass his exams, etc.,what choice did the school have?

I've also known a couple of people who had failed their senior year and had to repeat it. Including one fellow I was in grad school with.

• Love 3

Rory's birthday party - I don't know about anyone else but I would not have a three year old picture of myself on crutches (or any picture of myself for that matter) propped on something in my bedroom.  Plot point, I know.  But talk about beating us on the head with a log.

• Love 3

I don't know about anyone else but I would not have a three year old picture of myself on crutches (or any picture of myself for that matter) propped on something in my bedroom

I wouldn't either. But I must say I was more surprised to see a framed picture of Luke in his minimalist apartment. I don't recall seeing any other photos - of family, Rachel, whatever - there. I wondered if he was channelling Ted Baxter :)

• Love 1
But I must say I was more surprised to see a framed picture of Luke in his minimalist apartment.

I must have missed that - and, yes, that is beyond bizarre.  Not a Luke thing at all.

But then I think posting solitary pictures of oneself is kind of odd.  When in a group photo, OK.  Just my opinion, of course.  But then I've never taken (nor will I ever take) a selfie.

I wouldn't either. But I must say I was more surprised to see a framed picture of Luke in his minimalist apartment. I don't recall seeing any other photos - of family, Rachel, whatever - there. I wondered if he was channelling Ted Baxter :)

Was the picture of Luke in his apartment in the birthdays episode? I don't remember it. I do remember bongos in his apartment in One's Got Class... That's equally weird, just not creepy. The Ted Baxter analogy is spot on, LOL.

Was the picture of Luke in his apartment in the birthdays episode? I don't remember it. I do remember bongos in his apartment in One's Got Class... That's equally weird, just not creepy. The Ted Baxter analogy is spot on, LOL.

I just remember the apartment having lots of old stuff, like he just couldn't let go of stuff (like in the dinner). I remember an ancient fan that probably wouldn't work. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Why wouldn't the school do that? After all, he wasn't a Gilmore.

But seriously though, if he didn't attend class, submit assignments, pass his exams, etc.,what choice did the school have?

I've also known a couple of people who had failed their senior year and had to repeat it. Including one fellow I was in grad school with.

The problem was Jess was called on skipping, not failing or not turning in assignments on time. He was cutting class to work extra hours at Walmart (most likely to get his POS car to keep running). However, its a TV troupe of a student all of a sudden missing a credit or missed too many days of classes and won't graduate on time. Even though they would have been contacted way before it was all over to try and make up that credit. However, seniors do flunk out, I had two classmates who did, but also got their GEDs that following winter and one went into the military and the other later went to community college and became a nurse. Reason why? The one didn't care and the other had just dealt with the death of a parent. Yet, seniors do fail all the time even though things are looking like smooth sailing by the time January comes up before graduation. However, many seniors who are in that situation start opting out to just get their GED before a year passes and then go from there. Yet, never an option in the TV world.

Edited by readster
  • Love 2

Yet, never an option in the TV world

For some reason it wasn't a possibility when he was - grudgingly and occasionally - attending Stars Hollow High School. Or when it made even more sense, after he flunked out. Luke told him he had to go back and repeat the year or leave.

What made the whole thing even more absurd is that the GED process wasn't unknown in the series. One of the show's principal character  completed her high school education that way and then went on to post-secondary studies.

• Love 2
However, many seniors who are in that situation start opting out to just get their GED before a year passes and then go from there. Yet, never an option in the TV world.

In fairness, the onus isn't on Luke to come up with a plan that satisfies Jess.  Luke was already being generous, given Jess had broken their previous deal.  I don't remember the scene exactly, but I don't believe there was anything stopping Jess from suggesting an alternative to Luke's plan that he do his senior year over to ensure his graduation.              

• Love 5
(edited)
Also the story about her breaking her leg doing yoga seems pretty improbable. Mostly for the yoga part.

At the end of last year I fractured my foot in two places and I cannot begin to imagine what an absolute hell must be to have to fend for oneself AND for a young daughter while having a broken leg. I don't mind the yoga story because you can get really hurt at the seemingly most harmless activities but Lorelai being so blase about it to Emily? Even if the entire town had dropped everything to be at her beck and call I can't imagine Lorelai having had an easy time dealing with the severe lack of mobility for at the very least 4 to 6 weeks + the endless doctor appointments + fisiotherapy. 

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but in my current rewatch I've started to really notice the posters and maps on Rory's room and I'm kinda of ridiculously in love with them...In the "Richard in Stars Hollow" episode, when Rory invites her grandfather to see her room, I got ready to check out the pretty vintage pictures and then I was left disapointed when the "Harvard obsession board" showed up instead. Excuse, that was my favorite wall!

I get Rory says the obsession really went out of control after their latest trip to Havard but, still, it seems to be a newer addition than Rory leds Richard to believe. 

Why would Luke spend $100k in order to expand his living space to accommodate Jess and still just end up with a single huge room? It made no sense. The initial problem came to light when Luke was downstairs in the diner watching sports on a tiny portable tv because Jess was listening to music upstairs. Lorelai told him he needed a proper apartment and rather than rent from Taylor, Luke bought the building nextdoor so he could extend his apartment. But the one huge room they ended up with would have solved none of the noise and privacy problems. The space above what became the soda shop could have been turned into two bedrooms and then Luke and Jess would have had their own space to play music/watch tv and also had the option of a bigger living area in the original space as Luke's bed wouldn't have been there anymore.

And on that note, what's up with Lorelai's upstairs. From the outside the house is pretty much the same size up and downstairs. But downstairs they have a livingroom, kitchen/diner, bathroom and Rory's room. But somehow all that fits upstairs is Lorelai's room and the good bathroom. There could easily be another two pretty big bedrooms up there. It's stupid.

• Love 9
(edited)

And on that note, what's up with Lorelai's upstairs. From the outside the house is pretty much the same size up and downstairs. But downstairs they have a livingroom, kitchen/diner, bathroom and Rory's room. But somehow all that fits upstairs is Lorelai's room and the good bathroom. There could easily be another two pretty big bedrooms up there. It's stupid.

From the outside the house clearly has a foundation full basement (or at least half full), but there's no door on the ground floor to go to it. It's a magical mystery house. Bigger on the outside than the inside.

The thing is, they could have done anything to the 2nd floor to make it work. Homes around here, especially old ones, are weird on the inside.

Edited by solotrek
(edited)

In "A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving", when Lorelai mocks Rory and Jess for "pecking each other like chickens", it frankly borders on the absurd to me. She spent the last two seasons having front-row-seat to watching Rory and Dean exchanging the most lame looking kisses in the history of tv and Rory and Jess greeting each other in a crowded diner gets a comment like that? Bitch, please.

• Love 1

In Lorelei's first day at Yale, when they are getting their IDs, the RA says they also operate the laundry machines, but later on in the series Rory talks about needing quarters for the laundry at Yale.

• Love 1

In Lorelei's first day at Yale, when they are getting their IDs, the RA says they also operate the laundry machines, but later on in the series Rory talks about needing quarters for the laundry at Yale.

Perhaps she needed quarters and her ID card to operate the machines.

Never noticed it until a rewatch today but in (I think) Kiss and Tell, Lorelai is on the floor next to the refrigerator, surrounded by the contents.  These include things like a head of lettuce and a huge thing of orange juice plus 100 other items.  Yet in late episodes there is rarely anything edible in there and they seem to only eat at Luke's or take out.  Continuity, people!

• Love 3

These include things like a head of lettuce and a huge thing of orange juice plus 100 other items.  Yet in late episodes there is rarely anything edible in there and they seem to only eat at Luke's or take out.  Continuity, people!

On a related note - in Season 1's Forgiveness and Stuff Lorelai does something I've long wanted to do. She takes a bag of pre-washed salad greens, opens the bag, pours in salad dressing and starts to eat.

The refrigerator wasn't exactly packed but it certainly did have edible items in it. It didn't appear to be in the kitchen for purely decorative reasons.

In "A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving", when Lorelai mocks Rory and Jess for "pecking each other like chickens", it frankly borders on the absurd to me. She spent the last two seasons having front-row-seat to watching Rory and Dean exchanging the most lame looking kisses in the history of tv and Rory and Jess greeting each other in a crowded diner gets a comment like that? Bitch, please.

Love this. Lorelai sure gets served when in season 5 the show runners force her to only peck Luke, and even that requires the two feet of separation between their genitals via the counter. That's when it became painfully obvious that the L/L relationship was being visualized as more childish than Rory's relationships.

• Love 1

Hey, Lorelai really was a dream tramp! 

I went to the first episode of season 3 and looked for a wedding ring. As far as I could tell, neither of them wore one. There were a couple of shadows on her fingers, but it was a pretty bright morning and it sure looks to me like no ring. 

dream-tramp.jpg

(edited)

On top of ASP constantly putting down (good, in my opinion) mainstream music, from great eras like the 1990s for Christ's sake!!!!!!!, we also have ASP putting down all types of non-white or non-American food.

When Digger wants to take Lorelai out for dinner, both Lorelai and Emily make it clear that they hate BOTH INDIAN AND THAI FOOD (ASP literally called this "Ethnic" , while of course Italian was NOT ethnic, LOL!  Oh, and they like Italian.)  You hate all Indian and Thai food?  Seriously?  India, a country of literally 1 billion people, and you hate all food from that country.  OMG .  I'm sure you know so much about all of the different cultures too.  Now, I already anticipate some posters chiming in that their stomachs can't handle curry or what have you, but I'm just so sick of Lorelai's proud ignorance.  It's one thing to say you don't know much about a particular cuisine, but to blanket not like anything from a country at age 30+, I find hard to fathom.

Then Lorelai says she likes Chinese and her father pipes up "As long as it's authentic."  Authentic?!  LOL, right, I doubt that is a concern of Lorelai's.  I'm sensitive about this because my background has a particular cuisine attached to it and people (who don't know anything about it) are always crowing that this restaurant or that is authentic, and it's really not.  It's just something people say to sound knowledgeable, in my opinion.  

THEN!  Lorelai goes for Mexican takeout with Digger and he says "I'm not a fan of Mexican food" and Lorelai says "Oh this doesn't resemble Mexican food."  So basically putting down Mexican food, too, wow!  

I know that this sounds angry, but I'm sensitive about this stuff, and Lorelai makes approximately 25 culturally insensitive remakrs off the top of  my head in this series (I'm not even going to touch the REALLY bad ones, because smoke will come out of my ears) and it's annoying.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)
On top of ASP constantly putting down (good, in my opinion) mainstream music, from great eras like the 1990s for Christ's sake!!!!!!!

ASP has made fun of all my favorites artists from back when I watched the show live at least once. I never took my taste in music seriously so I brushed it off easy enough. It helped that I was an intense reader growing up (still am) and nothing of what Rory read ever sounded remotely appealing to me so that made it easy to not take in account their tastes in anything ever. Of the top of my head, the only stuff I've personally ever found relatable is their love of coffee and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And travelling, I guess, now that I can afford to.

But, all in all, I probably would have found both Lorelai and Rory snobbish and extremelly pretentious in real life.

but I'm just so sick of Lorelai's proud ignorance.  It's one thing to say you don't know much about a particular cuisine, but to blanket not like anything from a country at age 30+, I find hard to fathom.

I can see where you're coming from. There's no doubt the show can be problematic about that kind of thing and Lorelai, of course, definitely can be obnouxious about expressing some of her tastes. But, if I may offer a different perspective, I'm not the most adventurer eater myself and if after a handful tries, I don't come across something I like in what my smallish town has to offer when it comes to Japanese, Arabic, etc. cousine then you can bet my reply to a future invitation to eat in such place will be: "Thank you, but I don't enjoy (insert country) food." Now, do I believe if/when I visit Japan I won't find dishes I'll positively love? Of course not. But it comes a point you're just not willing to waste money and time trying a cousine you haven't had the best luck with in the past.

I think that's what Lorelai means and she's old enough to know if her tastes run more towards the type of food her own country offers, italian food, etc. Which kind of happens to be my case as well. Maybe that's what ASP was trying to portray.

• Love 5

I feel you Ms Blue Jay. ASP was forever disparaging Philadelphia, aka my hometown. Rory thought there was nothing worth doing in Philly, Jess anticipated being mocked for living there, and Richard had a few comments as well. Sorry it's not the cultural haven that Hartford is. Only the birthplace of the US, where some of the biggest names in music made their big breaks, which you'd think would be important on a show that prizes itself on it's musical pedigree.

Rory conceded at one point that Philly had gotten cool. Fuck you, Rory, Philly has always been cool.

• Love 2

where some of the biggest names in music made their big breaks, which you'd think would be important on a show that prizes itself on it's musical pedigree

And Philadelphia was the first home of American Bandstand!

(edited)

Wow Zulu, as a Canadian (who loves The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and has so many friends who worship The Roots, LOL!)  I didn't even know people thought Philadelphia was worthy of mockery.....  That's gross.  ASP pisses me off with every new revelation.  Also, The Office is one of my favourite shows; I know it's not literally set in Philadelphia, but they definitely took an admirable, "big city" tone towards it.  Also cream cheese..... LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay