Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: Who Do You Love?

• Start Topic

Aaron takes a stand at graduation, pushing the school to divest from private prisons; Zoey attempts to let Aaron go for good; Ana suspects Javi is cheating; Jazz makes a decision about Doug.

Promo:

Original air date: 3/18/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Was the Zoe/Aaron scene supposed to be a good thing? It made me stabby. Luca was right...they deserve each other.

I actually thought Viveck might get injured or killed when he was planning on "getting out," but I knew where this was going when the last scene had him in a car.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, dungeonwriter said:

Does anyone find it really hard to believe every single student went along with Aaron's idea? 

Not a single one was like "yeah, not my hill to die on" and refusing? 

Totally. There's no way there weren't a handful of conservative students who would protest that protest. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Superclam said:

Totally. There's no way there weren't a handful of conservative students who would protest that protest. 

Or even students too afraid to rock the boat and hurt their career prospects? Or students afraid to hurt their grad school prospects? 

Or students with parents saying "Oh hell no, you're getting those pictures for grandma in your gown on stage, come hell, high water or the Rapture." 

Or students who were out partying and didn't get the memo? 

Or students who just didn't care? 

Seriously, Cal U has some serious hive mind. 

• Love 3

Yeah every single student being totally on board Aaron's protest at graduation seems a bit much. There had to have been at least a few students who might be afraid that it could hurt their career or grad school prospects? Who's parents who paid for school insisted on them going ahead with graduation because they paid for that degree they deserve a photo damn it, or just was out of town? How do you even get in touch with that many people? I can imagine that some students weren't really on bored, but didn't want to be one of the only students who said no and looks like the asshole. Aaron got a win with his cause, but his personal life is an absolute mess. Aaron and Zoey are so messy they deserve each other, don't drag Aaron's nice girlfriend into their crap. 

"I always imagined Zoey would be a selfish lover." Zoey is selfish in most aspects of her life, so I would guess that as well. I knew something would go wrong when it ended on Vivek and his girlfriend going on a road trip, but I thought it might be a crash before the sirens started. Then I knew he was going to get busted, and with his girlfriend. Not good. 

I guess that was the season finale, I feel like we just got started but I guess we should be happy we got anything at all. 

I’ve been waiting for Vivek to get busted since season 1. I was sorry that they went with the cliche of him doing one last job before he quit. Interesting to see if the writers put him jail or just lose his girlfriend.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Yokosmom said:

I’ve been waiting for Vivek to get busted since season 1. I was sorry that they went with the cliche of him doing one last job before he quit. Interesting to see if the writers put him jail or just lose his girlfriend.

I am wondering how they will deal with that with COVID,  will they send him to jail then have him released due to COVID restrictions and fears?  That maybe a way to keep him around but we don't even know that they will address COVID, I was expecting them to mention it at the very end....

I liked Luca for the first time! 

All the students participating in the protest was pure wish fulfillment, but I'll take it. 

I'm worried about Vivek. I was never liking his dealing, but the fact is that there are always dealers on campus and he was awesome this season so I don't want him hurt. Honestly, I thought his girlfriend buying his cover story that he sold term papers (and not being bothered by that) gives her no grounds for judging him. But the cop... that makes me really nervous.

I recorded it twice and both times cut off at the end, so I don't know if there was more after the girlfriend finds the stash (i.e. the reaction of the cop was missing). 

Edited by possibilities
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I recorded it twice and both times cut off at the end, so I don't know if there was more after the girlfriend finds the stash (i.e. the reaction of the cop was missing). 

Not really. It's kind of unclear if the cop saw the stash. The gf definitely did. 

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Between him refusing to call it a vision board, and his truth telling I too had a moment of "oh, so that's what it would feel like to like Luca". 

I was sad to see Jazz and Doug break-up. But also am still so frustrated at him pretending he was waiting for her when we'd seen him or trying to pick up women the episode before. I can see where he was confused or disappointed, she did put them on a break to focus on training. But don't like him making her feel bad about it and acting like he was waiting for her. 

So are we supposed to believe that Aaron broke up with Rochelle off-screen or is that still going to be an annoying drama to deal with next season. At least she is lucky to get out of that messy situation. 

I did laugh at Doug and Vivek assuming Zoey would be a selfish lover, because...Yeah, same. 

When the previews showed Vivek getting pulled over, and then early in the episode he mentioned he was getting out, I was hoping they wouldn't go with that cliché. Like, he'd get pulled over and be relieved he was out. But nope, they had to go with it.... So are they going to have to move out of the house? They wrre only in it because of Vivek's very profitable activities. Him getting out of the game or him getting sent to jail both seem to have the same outcome for living situation. 

• Love 2
On 3/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, dungeonwriter said:

Does anyone find it really hard to believe every single student went along with Aaron's idea? 

Not a single one was like "yeah, not my hill to die on" and refusing? 

I rolled my eyes so hard.  First at the fact that every single student went along with the protest.  Never.  Not.  Ever would that happen.  No way would students sabotage their own graduation ceremony.

Also... and I know the logistics of filming and the lack of money to hire too many extras ... but for a public University that was a seriously small graduating class.  I live in a frickin' village (not a town, not a city, but a village) and my son's HS graduating class was bigger than that.  Where were the parents and family members?  Also, for a college in sunny California I am surprised the ceremony would be held indoors.

21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think I said to myself... hey if we got Luca back solely to read Zoey for filth and give some grade 'A' shade, then I am here for it.  LOL.

I just can't with Zoey. She had the nerve to get upset that Aaron let his girlfriend kiss him in public? And then she made sure to look back at him to say "FOLLOW ME! DON'T LET ME LEAVE!" Ugh, girl, stop.

On top of that, then she couldn't bring herself to tell Luka that she slept with Aaron. Her exact words: "We, uh, okay, you know. Uh, Aaron and I, we were together. Like together together." My general rule of thumb is that if you can't say, "I had sex," then you shouldn't be having sex.

Zoey sucks, but Luka and his condescending attitude can take a hike too because no matter how much truth he actually spoke, it was clearly a biased opinion stemming from him STILL being jealous/suspicious about Zoey's friendship with Aaron while she was dating Luka.

Doug is on my shit list too. I just can't with these fragile male egos. He was the one who suggested they sleep with other people but he's acting like she cheated on him. He specifically referred to it as her stepping out on him when he mentioned it to Aaron earlier in the episode, which is NOT the case. He clearly sees her as damaged goods since in a previous episode he used the phrase sloppy seconds.

I could not roll my eyes hard enough at every single person at graduation cooperating with Aaron's protest. And I find it extremely difficult to believe that after all we've seen of Cal U over the past three seasons being depicted as this HUGE university that they only had a handful of graduating seniors. My middle school had more "graduating" eighth graders than that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Also... and I know the logistics of filming and the lack of money to hire too many extras ... but for a public University that was a seriously small graduating class.  I live in a frickin' village (not a town, not a city, but a village) and my son's HS graduating class was bigger than that.

Don't most colleges and universities hold separate ceremonies for the different majors, or was my school just an outlier? There was no graduation ceremony for ALL the seniors, but rather, each school held their own ceremonies, usually back to back to back in a few different venues across campus. My brother's school did the same thing. So I assumed that this was just the School of Whatever Aaron is Majoring in's ceremony. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:25 PM, TigerLily20 said:

I am wondering how they will deal with that with COVID,  will they send him to jail then have him released due to COVID restrictions and fears?  That maybe a way to keep him around but we don't even know that they will address COVID, I was expecting them to mention it at the very end....

Given that classes had gone virtual, students were sent home, and most in-person graduations in 2020 didn't happen or were postponed due to COVID, I think it's safe to assume that COVID does not exist on Grown-ish. I know these episodes were probably filmed before COVID hit, and since there were a hundred references to 2020 on this episode, it's gonna be kinda hard for this show to ever address it, unless they go with some slightly alternate timeline where COVID didn't hit until later in the summer of 2020. Goes back to the question I posed last episode about Sky and the Olympics.

Edited by Giuseppe
9 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Don't most colleges and universities hold separate ceremonies for the different majors, or was my school just an outlier? There was no graduation ceremony for ALL the seniors, but rather, each school held their own ceremonies, usually back to back to back in a few different venues across campus. My brother's school did the same thing. So I assumed that this was just the School of Whatever Aaron is Majoring in's ceremony.

I thought this too, I thought I saw something hanging in the background that said "Humanities" so I was under the assumption that this was not the whole school graduating, but just those who studied a certain section. Still seemed a bit small but makes better sense and maybe why they would all go along with it

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

The sign at graduation said it was for the school of humanities. For as large a university as Cal U has been depicted to be, that was a tiny graduation for even the humanities division.

Graduations vary by how large the school is. I have been to graduations at several UC campuses and they have smaller graduations broken down by the various colleges within the universities (all of the campuses have over 20,000 undergraduate students except for Merced and Santa Cruz). This is partly due to logistics because when you have almost 30,000 undergrads (which is true of five of the campuses), it's hard to find a place big enough to hold all the graduating seniors plus their families. Having smaller ceremonies makes it easier on everyone involved so that there aren't a million people trying to park on campus at once and so you don't have to sit through an eight hour ceremony while they read every single person's name. I think people sometimes forget that there are also ceremonies for the various graduate programs which just adds to the logistical chaos of graduation week.

UC San Diego, which has over 28K undergrads, also has an optional all campus graduation ceremony (in addition to the smaller college ceremony where you actually receive your degree). That ceremony has to be held at the stadium to accommodate everyone but a lot of people choose not to attend because it's another long ass ceremony out in the sun.

I have also attended graduations at small private colleges and when the graduating class is relatively small, they have one ceremony for all the seniors. One of the ones I attended had a really sweet graduation tradition where they line up all the seniors and then walk them through the campus before arriving at the graduation site.

But I agree that the number of students they showed at Aaron's graduation seemed miniscule compared to the way the campus has been depicted throughout the series. This is supposed to be a pretty large campus so having that handful of seniors at his ceremony made no sense. I'm sure that from a realistic viewpoint, they just didn't want to pay for more extras in robes but I was just laughing that for three seasons, they have made it seem like Cal U is this HUMONGOUS campus with a gigantic student body (I always assumed this was supposed to be the equivalent of UCLA) and then Aaron's graduation had less people than my suburban high school graduation. I attended a UC and even though our graduations were broken up into smaller ceremonies, I still had a lot more people at mine than Aaron did for his humanities division.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1