Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Auditions, Part 5

• Start Topic

I'm not a singer, so how was Kiko?  Maybe it was obscured by Francisco.   I assumed he'd go through.

I have the same complaint every episode.  They're way too country focused.  Has Luke ever said "No" to someone singing country?  It's way too biased, and it's way too obvious this year.

The first 3 audition episodes I was enthralled but these last two have been so bad.  I wonder if that was by design.

Bring on Hollywood Week, the best part of every season.  I say this every season, they should make Hollywood Week a Hollywood Month!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Has Luke ever said "No" to someone singing country?  It's way too biased, and it's way too obvious this year.

He did say no to the guy that he joined in with on the Brooks & Dunn song tonight. But yeah, I agree on the very heavy country leanings.

Bring on Hollywood Week, the best part of every season.  I say this every season, they should make Hollywood Week a Hollywood Month!

Also agreed on this.

Will be particularly curious to see how DeShawn does-I can see him sticking around a while. 

It was cute to see that Zach and Catie got together after the show. A happy story amidst so many incredibly sad ones. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

He did say no to the guy that he joined in with on the Brooks & Dunn song tonight. But yeah, I agree on the very heavy country leanings.

And he was an Asian singer right?  I mean, you get where I'm going right...... White + Country = automatic yes from Luke 

• Useful 1

I am so over this show's (and all others like it) audition episodes.  I guess having a sob story is now a requirement to be considered for anything.  I am tired of all the "woe is me" backstories.  I just want to hear them sing and be rewarded based on their performance alone.  It's so obvious that the show has hand-picked all these contestants beforehand, no matter how surprised Katy acts when they step onto the stage and share their story.  Just once, I'd like someone to come out and say they've had a normal, happy childhood with a supportive family, and not subject us to loads of excess baggage.  

Edited by cowgirlwen
  • Love 8

Jeez- liver failure girl, autistic/epileptic boy, cystic fibrosis girl, mental health boy, the parade of sob stories goes on and on. 

Showrunners are aiming for a girl winner, based on the lack of any males who could be considered heart throbs or compelling voices. Good lord, the 'Sinatra' guy and that used-up looking boy bander! DeShawn has a fine voice and really good piano skills, but he looks to me like the annual church singer who never wins.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm worried for that girl who gets lung infections. Competing in AI during Covid seems dangerous, even if she was able to get a vaccine. I wasn't really impressed with anyone during this episode. 😐 I also feel like the number of contestants singing original songs has increased this year. Only a few are really good. It seems a bit egotistical to think that your original song is a better song to sing than any of the number of hit songs released in the last 100 years. This isn't a song writing competition.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I'm worried for that girl who gets lung infections. Competing in AI during Covid seems dangerous, even if she was able to get a vaccine.

I was thinking about that, too, yeah. Especially considering it always seems lately like someone falls seriously ill at some point during the competition, because DRAMA! The "Idol" producers had better be keeping that in mind, 'cause yeah, I could see some real liability issues coming up for them at some point if they're not careful. 

It seems a bit egotistical to think that your original song is a better song to sing than any of the number of hit songs released in the last 100 years. This isn't a song writing competition.

Agreed. I just keep thinking about the people who auditioned way back early on in the show's run who didn't get to play instruments or sing their own original stuff. They've got to be watching this and thinking, "Gee, must be nice...". 

• Love 2

It's interesting to me that with the way they mix and match auditions from different cities each week (which I find annoying), they would have an entire episode where no one was really good.  Some of them definitely deserved to go through to Hollywood, but it was a lot of pretty good, and not much of anything great.  I don't think we'll see anyone from this episode in the top 24 (or 20, or whatever number they choose).

• Love 4
On 3/14/2021 at 9:01 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love it too!  I wish they spread it out over a couple of weeks.

14 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I hate the trend to original songs. They are puerile and indulgent. You aren’t so special. Sing a damn song we’ve heard so we can tell how well you sing. Thx. 

By the most part I agree, but sometimes there are some good ones that sound like future hits. 

Also, I don't like contestants that bring in past contestants. Can't remember the names, but the ones that brought in Francisco and Catie 😏. Automatic no from me.

I think I was really burned a couple of yrs ago when that girl brought in Laine Hardy who ended up winning. I couldn't stand LH.

Last year was Margie Mays bringing in Jonny West, he was ok, I guess.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I love it too!  I wish they spread it out over a couple of weeks.

I don't get why they won't do this.

They hype it up every year, there's so much stuff and drama to cram in, everyone loves it, and yet they only do it for a week.  

• Love 2
On 3/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't get why they won't do this.

They hype it up every year, there's so much stuff and drama to cram in, everyone loves it, and yet they only do it for a week.  

Seriously. Most everyone who goes through makes me wonder, how will they do when they have sing again for two minutes in a big assembly line? How will they function when they have to sing in a group with potentially uncooperative partners? We go through all this audition stuff just to get to good stuff.

It seems to me that the vast majority of sob stories this year include the dad, and the moms are getting short shrift.

Edited by ForReal
  • Love 3