Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: Freaky Friday Queens

• Start Topic

On 3/13/2021 at 8:23 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked seeing Utica as Symone because she had to temporarily abandon her usual weirdo runway persona. She did a nice job looking fiercer and more confident than she normally does.

It makes me wonder if the weirdo persona is because she's not that confident in drag as a whole and if she's weird then people are judging her on the weirdness and she's not failing as a "pretty" queen. 

I didn't like Kandy in the beginning because of the way she kept coming after Tamisha, whom I liked from the beginning. For me, that's all it really is. 

Over the weekend I went to an outdoor drag show featuring some of Ru Paul's queens, Bianca Del Rio, Aquaria, Violet Chachki, Plastique, Kameron Michaels, Asia O'Hara and Naomi Smalls. During her introduction, Bianca went on a whole little rant about how Kandy was still on this season which made me laugh. (She's very funny!) 

• Love 5

Utica seemed to acknowledge in Untucked especially that she hides a bit behind that "I'm so quirky!" mugging because she doesn't quite have the confidence that Symone does. I hope she takes what she learned about Symone's approach and grows from that.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

During her introduction, Bianca went on a whole little rant about how Kandy was still on this season which made me laugh. (She's very funny!) 

Bianca del Rio, now there’s an arrogant queen! 😄 In this case, very much earned. (IMO)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Weren't they judged as teams? So as long as the sum of Olivia+Denali was worse than Tina+Rose, Tina was always gonna be safe.

It was.

I have to wonder, though, if the powers that be chose to do the judging that way because it gave them a good excuse to put Denali in the bottom two instead of Tina.

They've made it very clear throughout the season that Olivia and Tina are among the favored contestants, and that Denali was not.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:01 AM, 30 Helens said:

I get what you’re saying, and I think you’re probably right about Ru. But in my opinion, what differentiates Kandi (who I do not like) from Vangie, Heidi and Adore (all of whom I liked very much) is not the confidence, but the unearned arrogance.

She doesn't seem arrogant to me, but defensive and insecure.  Yes, feigned arrogance is often a defense to insecurity, but I think it is a very different beast.  Candy behaves like an insecure 14 year old who talks incessantly to avoid hearing any criticism from others and who constantly puts the focus on others for the same reason.  It's such an ingrained defensive mechanism, she almost can't help herself.  It's the behavior of a pubescent mean girl/bully.  She realizes this on occasion, which is expressed in her showing concern for others.  But the behavior will never go away until she develops some real self-esteem.  And this has nothing to do with race.  It's behavior that all humans are capable of descending to. 

As for the show, on the metric of presenting the essence of their doppelganger, Candy and Gottmik were the bottom two.  Neither of them gave any hint of the others presentation.  Gottmik did the same naive middle class attempt at "punk" while candy didn't seem to do anything gottmik-like.  On looks, the mugs on denali and olivia were atrocious, but they did at least try to channel their teammate. 

I knew at the outset Symone and Utica would run away with this- and they did.  As for utica's concerns, this is the world that wokeness creates- fear of the true and real due to a shallow, provincial, small-mindedness on steroids.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Rai said:

Utica seemed to acknowledge in Untucked especially that she hides a bit behind that "I'm so quirky!" mugging because she doesn't quite have the confidence that Symone does. I hope she takes what she learned about Symone's approach and grows from that.

Thank you for saying exactly what I came away with re the Symone/Utica team. Utica has promise, she just needs some time to cook a bit more. For me, this year's crown is Symone's to lose.

I feel awful for Denali and am really bummed she had to sashay away. She, Rose and Symone have such a level of professionalism and ability that is just delightful to watch.

Muting Kandy helps, guys. I just make sure closed captioning is on so I don't miss what another queen says.😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Bianca went on a whole little rant about how Kandy was still on this season which made me laugh. (She's very funny!) 

On this week's Pit Stop, Nikki Doll basically said the same thing. Every week the queens shade her. 

• Love 2
On 3/14/2021 at 9:29 AM, kicotan said:

Symone did an Amazing job as “Utica”!!!  Utica, bless her ginger heart, overcame her fears and performed well with Symone’s talent and guidance.  Best pair-up of the night!!!

I was shocked by how well Utica did with Symone's walk.  It really was like she became a whole different person.  

• Love 3
21 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

t makes me wonder if the weirdo persona is because she's not that confident in drag as a whole and if she's weird then people are judging her on the weirdness and she's not failing as a "pretty" queen. 

Totally.  It's like that critique that some queens "rest on pretty."  I think Utica "rests on weird." And, while I'm not a huge Utica fan, it seems like she doesn't really need to -- there are greater depths there.

• Love 4