Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Book of Reconstruction: Chapter Four: A Light in the Darkness

Trini
  • Start Topic

Jefferson pays Tobias a visit and warns him to stay away from his family.

The episode was written by Brusta Brown & John Mitchell Todd and directed by Salim Akil.

Airdate: 3/1/2021

10.jpg

Edited by Trini

Man, Freeland's mayor really isn't/wasn't all that bright, if he couldn't see that behind Tobias' smiles and pretty words that he was clearly giving off an "I am so going to have you killed to further my agenda" vibe throughout all of their scenes.  Some villains might be about the poker face, but Tobias doesn't even attempt to hid his nefarious deeds.

The Pierce family continue to be barely hanging in there.  Jefferson finding out about Lynn's meeting with Tobias caused him to go further into the world of Lala's fight club, which not only led to a blowout between Jefferson and Lynn, but Jen found out, and now can't look at him due to seeing his rage.  That led to Jen flying up into the stars and then... disintegrating?  I obviously doubt this is the last of her, but I wonder what in the hell happen there.  I so don't envy T.C. for having to be the one to tell everyone that!

Meanwhile, Anissa starts her new, shiny marriage off on the wrong foot by not wanting Grace to bring her more geeky, artistic stuff into the pad because it would "clash" with the current aesthetics.  At least she realized she screwed up, and fixed that real quick!  And now Grace is even helping her fight crime with her own spiffy suit.  Yay, relationship goals!

At least Gambi also gets some lovin too, even if he's still secretly sabotaging his partner's business to protect his gang from those deadly weapons.

Looks like Hassan might be an ally for Black Lightning after-all.  Now, that's just assuming "Black Lightning" wants to return...

• Love 3
(edited)

Still depressing. Tobias is basically in the same mode as Thinker in the fourth season of The Flash, only without acquiring powers with each passing episode. His snark is the biggest saving grace . . . I don't root for the sadist, but it is weirdly fun to see him wrap everyone around his finger.

Jefferson now having nightmares involving his death. Possible epitaph for his tombstone: "JEFFERSON PIERCE: Always the Rear Guy In the Human Centipede, Never In the Front." Or maybe "JEFFERSON PIERCE: Took So Many L's, He Was Begging For An M." And all this before Jennifer gets disintegrated at episode's end. Can a man choke from impotent rage? We might find out.

Mayor Bad Haircut is dead. He might as well have been wearing a red shirt throughout the episode. A gun buyback event at night? Logical place for his death. Of course, the commissioner blames the heroes for his death. And, of course, Tobias's creepy bad assistant happened to have magnetic abilities to make the bullet strike the mayor. Only thing missing was the Blonde Talking Head talking shit and pinning it all on Lightning. "We don't know how this electric miscreant managed to alter the footage we aired, making it look like she wasn't killing citizens left and right. I see you, girl. I see you, and I'm pointing right at you." I don't care if she's local or national . . . I kinda want her killed.

Anyone else hoping Tobias meets up with Lex Luthor at some point? They both have similar views on hair on their heads and faces. Also, they're both evil and sadistic.

Anyone want to bet on when Davonte will get killed? He's Lala's right hand, and he's big enough for me to be amazed that he hasn't gotten hit yet.

ETA: As for Anissa & Grace . . . I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop with them as well. "We've been getting reports from hospitals about some large cat -- possibly a jaguar -- getting into maternity wards and straight-up eating the infants." It's Freeland. Happiness doesn't exist unless you're evil.

Edited by Lantern7

The Mayor went from calling Tobias out on his BS an episode or two ago to kissing his butt this episode. My neck hurts from the whiplash. Guess it doesn't matter in the end.

Tesla Device is probably going to be the key to getting Jen back.

I laughed at Jefferson's "low-rent Joey Toledo and Syonide" comment, although I feel like new Joey is more of a low-rent Zsasz/Athony Carrigan.

• Love 3
(edited)

Jefferson calling Whale's new henchman "low rent Cyanide and Joey Toledo" cracked me up. Was the mayor seriously buying his crap so soon after he called Whale out on his obvious bullshit? Because he was feeding poor people? Al Capone operated a soup kitchen too and he wasn't any less of an obvious criminal and the feds didn't just decide everything was cool now that he was taking some nice PR pics. And Tobias is even less subtle about being evil. But I guess now it doesn't matter, he's dead and now Freeland is mayor less on top of everything else. 

The Pierce family struggles just gets worse and worse, but at least Lynn and Jefferson both admitted wrong doing and apologized, and Jen catching up with Jefferson's virtual fight clubbing has maybe been the wake up call he needed, but there is still a lot that needs fixing. Has Anissa even told them she married Grace? They know that Grace is out and about, so maybe they know and its just that nobody is in the mood for a reception. I wonder if this will end with Jefferson and Lynn finally deciding to get married again, I always forget that they're actually divorced. 

It looks like Hassan might be pro Black Lightning, unlike the "I hate meta humans they suck and they're masks look dumb" police chief, so Jefferson could could a new friend on the force. I did like the bar scene a lot, Jefferson might feel like he has been wasting his time as Black Dynamite, and its easy when Freeland is constantly falling apart, but he has done a lot of good and I am glad he got to hear that. 

Anissa starts her new married life and...immediately steps in it. I love Annisa, but she does have a history of making some not so great relationship calls, even with her one true love Grace. The women just got out of a year long coma, let her have her comic books and her damn chair even if it clashes with your "vibe"! Good thing she realized what she did and they made up, and Grace even gets an outfit and a superhero name. I really like Grace, but she feels so underused so I am really hoping this leads to her getting more agency in this story. 

Oh Jen, flew a bit too close to the sun. I am guessing that her plot and Gambi's plot will come together and he will use the Tesla device to get her back together. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
(edited)

I can't remember but does Lala know that Jefferson used to brBlack Lightning but is now currently moping as he Fight Clubs his way through his grief.

Just once, I want to see Tobias truly lose before this show ends and he finally gets his.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

I can't remember but does Lala know that Jefferson used Black Lightning but is now currently moping as he Fight Clubs his through his grief.

No, LaLa doesn't know Jefferson is Black Lightning.

I just wish they had shown or given some explanation as to how Tobias went from being so low at the end of last season, to being all the way back on top. But yeah, he sucks (in a 'love to hate' way), and he needs to be taken down hard.

I knew Tobias was setting up something when he gave the suggestion for the press conference; but when the Mayor was so happy that Tobias was "helping" him, I knew that dude was dead. And no, it didn't make sense when he was distrustful of him before.

I'm glad the family found out sooner than later about Jefferson's underground fighting, because it's not a good look when LaLa of all people is making more sense than you! Hopefully that's over now. It weird though that he's willing to beat down people in a ring, but not actual criminals as Black Lightning. I know he's mad about Lynn and Tobias [shudder], but can we please not have the Pierces yelling at each other? 😢

So Lynn might work with Tobias to double cross him? I don't think that's going to work out, but I hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice for the Pierces to get ahead.

Good try Gambi; looks like you need a plan C? Anyway, glad he has a girlfriend; but it sucks that he'll have to betray her at some point. I wonder how that power source thing will come into play later...

Okay, so Detective Henderson's Protegé is actually a Black Lightning fan. It was nice for Jefferson to get a (kind of) pep talk.

Aw, that was a really sweet scene with Jefferson and Jen! ... And then they had Jen blow up. 😩 😭  I'm sure she's okay somehow, right?

So is this the first time there's been (blatant) product placement on the show? Unless it's been cars or something, I don't think so. It was weird.

Forgot a couple things:

Um, sorry Police Chief, but the Mayor getting shot was clearly NOT Lightning & Co's fault; even if you don't think they should have been there.

It's weird that there really hasn't been a reaction about Anissa and Grace getting married from the family. But then again, Grace almost never gets to interact with the Pierces, so....  Anyway, her Wilde (Wylde? Wyld?) persona looked cool.

Four episodes in and still NOTHING about Khalil, who is listed as a regular and we know he's getting a backdoor pilot. Is he only going to be in that episode??

On 3/2/2021 at 1:35 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

The Mayor went from calling Tobias out on his BS an episode or two ago to kissing his butt this episode. My neck hurts from the whiplash. Guess it doesn't matter in the end.

In my head, they were both being polite on the surface, while dragging each other in their respective minds. Like this:

Tobias: "Mr. Mayor, I am looking forward to using my resources and newfound clout to ensure the greatest that is Freeland."

TRANSLATED: "You are so gonna die. Also, it's inspiring to let blind people cut your hair. But then again, they're the only ones that can't see that ugly, ugly, UGLY face of yours."

Mayor Black: "And I look forward to working side-by-side with you, Mr. Wale."

TRANSLATED: "Trimming your pubic hair and Gorilla Gluing it to your face? It's never gonna be a 'thing,' man. Get your stupid ass to the hospital."

On 3/4/2021 at 11:36 PM, Trini said:

Um, sorry Police Chief, but the Mayor getting shot was clearly NOT Lightning & Co's fault; even if you don't think they should have been there.

She doesn't have any dimensions. She might be a distant relative to Principal Lowery. The sad thing is that she's thinking all that on her own, and she's not a 100 plant.

I'm finding these episodes tiresome and hard to even get through. 

Jefferson's moping is a waste of time. The self-pity and drop-out attitude isn't even consistent, since he's happy to be violent for fun, and he's running around without the suit practically begging to get caught.

Anissa seriously thought she could marry Grace and then Grace would not move anything of her own into their shared home?

Lynn and Jefferson yelling at each other and keeping secrets and throwing accusations all the time is boring at this point. Lynn's an addict! Jeff feels superior and considers himself the boss and doesn't have to respect anyone else's imput! No wonder Jen's all about escapism. Home's a drag and neither of her parents are decent role models right now. 

I am wondering if Tobias has a hit of that influencer power, so he talks to people and they suddenly decide to go along with his plans even when they were seeing through him 10 minutes ago. But I'm even weary of Tobias. It's not love to hate anymore, it's just boredom and irritation.

Lala is actually a little more interesting. He's a thug, but he will listen to reason to some extent. 

Gambi's on his own since the Peirce family is busy navel gazing and not being a team. I don't like it, though.

• Love 1

I think we're finally (hopefully) done with Jefferson's constant moping and self-hating. Everyone's dark moping is just dragging the show down. I hate it when characters (on any show) get involved in an underground Fight Club. It's just so overused at this point and it's just dumb to begin with.

• Love 1