Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Semifinals - It's All About the Dance!

• Start Topic

Gabby Douglas also has a less recognizable voice. Simone's word-up would have shown her adorable helium voice. 

Final answer. Gabby is Cotton Candy, she said FIERCE, she had 5 gold balloons. She was in the "Fierce 5" at the Olympics in 2012, and the "Final 5" in 2016. That's her body type. Also, I think they put in a stepping segment as a lil wink so people realize she's a Black girl. Her legs are lean (in the rehearsal footage) which rules out any of the super muscular gymnasts.

Maks married Peta from DWTS. It's NOT Val because he is too short to be the sloth. Also, Maks was so known for being a bachelor, he was actually on The (Ukranian) Bachelor, as the Bachelor. 

Mackenzie is absolutely the Tulip. I can't wait to see them all do their best next week. No reason to hide any skills or try to throw anyone off, just kill it out there. I adore the final three, but the little sister (with a perfect older sis) in me is rooting for Tulip. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BoogieBurns said:

Maks married Peta from DWTS. It's NOT Val because he is too short to be the sloth. Also, Maks was so known for being a bachelor, he was actually on The (Ukranian) Bachelor, as the Bachelor. 

Val also didn't have an accident when he was younger, which was one of the clues in his first week.

Kind of unbelievable to me that Paula guessed him based on the pumpkin spice jar. To be honest, I couldn't even tell what that thing was during the clues. I also wish he'd stop making so many of his clues about Peta. For the most part, people who don't watch DWTS probably have no idea who Maks is, They're certainly not going to know who Peta is or get any of those clues. Besides, there's more to Maks than her..

As much as he's annoyed me the past several years, I can't help rooting for Maks to win it all.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Val also didn't have an accident when he was younger, which was one of the clues in his first week.

Kind of unbelievable to me that Paula guessed him based on the pumpkin spice jar. To be honest, I couldn't even tell what that thing was during the clues. I also wish he'd stop making so many of his clues about Peta. For the most part, people who don't watch DWTS probably have no idea who Maks is, They're certainly not going to know who Peta is or get any of those clues. Besides, there's more to Maks than her..

As much as he's annoyed me the past several years, I can't help rooting for Maks to win it all.

How Paula picked up on pumpkin spice jar in the clues but not the ice dancer in that same screenshot and didn't think about Maks winning DWTS with Meryl Davis is beyond me.  But, I'm a FS fan, so yeah, that was really obvious, especially since Val has never had a figure skater as a partner on the show.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

How Paula picked up on pumpkin spice jar in the clues but not the ice dancer in that same screenshot and didn't think about Maks winning DWTS with Meryl Davis is beyond me.  But, I'm a FS fan, so yeah, that was really obvious, especially since Val has never had a figure skater as a partner on the show.  

The figure skater clinched it for me because of his partnership and win with Meryl Davis. With word up I detected an accent for the first time.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Gabby Douglas also has a less recognizable voice. Simone's word-up would have shown her adorable helium voice. 

Final answer. Gabby is Cotton Candy, she said FIERCE, she had 5 gold balloons. She was in the "Fierce 5" at the Olympics in 2012, and the "Final 5" in 2016. That's her body type. Also, I think they put in a stepping segment as a lil wink so people realize she's a Black girl. Her legs are lean (in the rehearsal footage) which rules out any of the super muscular gymnasts.

Mackenzie is absolutely the Tulip. I can't wait to see them all do their best next week. No reason to hide any skills or try to throw anyone off, just kill it out there. I adore the final three, but the little sister (with a perfect older sis) in me is rooting for Tulip. 

I agree with all your guesses.  I know Maks and MacKenzie were mentioned awhile back but Cotton Candy was a mystery.  I was just going to post that I thought she was Cotton Candy.  Last week, I said that Cotton Candy has Nastia's body type but not the mannerisms.  Gabby fits the body type.  Also while she was standing there with the other contestants, she reminded me of Gabby.  Gabby also lived with Travis and Missy Parton to train at Liang Chow's gym.  She didn't live with her family.  That was a clue in the first week.  Tara and her mom moved so she could train so she didn't live with her dad but she did have her mom with her.  I have been googling.

I like how the Masked Dancer ended up with the best dancers in the finals.  TMS is not based purely on vocals.  You need to entertain and dance a little.  Maks finally did ballroom and I can't wait to see more.  MacKenzie did great in the polka but it was her first time doing it.  Like you, I want to see them do their best styles.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

The figure skater clinched it for me because of his partnership and win with Meryl Davis. With word up I detected an accent for the first time.  

The accent gave it away for me during his first week!

11 hours ago, Lilac2000 said:

The other partner clue for Maks was a panda and he partnered with Laila Ali on DWTS and she was the panda in Masked Singer.

It's weird they've included some of his more forgettable partnerships, like Denise Richards and Amber Rose, but they haven't included some of his more popular partnerships like Erin Andrews and Kirstie Alley.

I re-watched earlier clue segments of the final three, and someone else did the early voiceovers for Sloth. The only time it's Maks (even with voice modulation) is in Word Up. I think a Russian tone to his voice (like Kelly Osborne did her lil country accent to hide her real voice) plus his energy level and skill would make it super clear he is a professional ballroom dancer. Thinking he's American, really gives room for a ton more guesses.

I want the girls to win. I agree that the best are in the finale and hope this remains a patterns of Masked Dancer. It works fine to have the most likable (or hardest to guess.... hello T Pain/Rumer Willis) in the top three for singing, it's so objective.

But dancing against a gymnast and two literal pros? No, Ice T shouldn't be playing through until the end. Wrong episode but I made my mom watch the first episode so I could spoil all the un-maskings for her, and she was SURE Disco Ball was Lionel Richie.

Wait: We need to talk about something VERY important.. Why the fuuuh were the judges in their premiere outfits? How does that work? They referenced who they had guessed in the past and everything. I was too confused. The Tis' baby bump will always tell us where filming lands, chronologically.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Wait: We need to talk about something VERY important.. Why the fuuuh were the judges in their premiere outfits? How does that work? They referenced who they had guessed in the past and everything. I was too confused. The Tis' baby bump will always tell us where filming lands, chronologically.

Continuity on this show is awful. This week, while the host was doing his intro, the camera kept cutting back and forth between him, the crowd and the panelists. Sometimes the four contestants would be standing on stage with him and other times he was there by himself.

• Love 1

I loved Cotton Candy's cheer themed routine this week. Bring It On and Toni Basil are classic cheer references! It made me wonder if Cotton Candy is Gabi Butler - until I saw her cheer jump section. I'm 99% sure Gabi's pike and herkie are way better than that.

I'm glad that the three best dancers are in the finale. It's always disappointing when someone who is clearly waaaaaaay out of their league makes the finals. But that brings up an interesting point - since there's no studio audience, who the hell is actually voting?

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved Cotton Candy's cheer themed routine this week. Bring It On and Toni Basil are classic cheer references! It made me wonder if Cotton Candy is Gabi Butler - until I saw her cheer jump section. I'm 99% sure Gabi's pike and herkie are way better than that.

I'm glad that the three best dancers are in the finale. It's always disappointing when someone who is clearly waaaaaaay out of their league makes the finals. But that brings up an interesting point - since there's no studio audience, who the hell is actually voting?

I believe they have a group of fans who vote by phone and count as the "audience."

4 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Why don't they just open up voting by SMS to all their viewing audience?

It's filmed quite a bit in advance. So they have a tiny audience (people who mostly work on the show), the judges, and "superfans" who get to vote in real filming time via phones. The winner is often decided in filmed episodes after only four episodes have aired to the public. They spend 4 weeks maximum filming these shows, but the seasons stretch to 2-3 months.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Why don't they just open up voting by SMS to all their viewing audience?

If they want to use their current format of eliminating a performer at the end of the episode, then that would mean each episode would have to be aired live. And because there are four time zones in the United States, voting would be restricted to only East Coast viewers.

Usually I get annoyed when I get cut out of voting, but this show has been pretty dead on with who should be eliminated each week so I'm not going to complain this time!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

It's filmed quite a bit in advance. So they have a tiny audience (people who mostly work on the show), the judges, and "superfans" who get to vote in real filming time via phones. The winner is often decided in filmed episodes after only four episodes have aired to the public. They spend 4 weeks maximum filming these shows, but the seasons stretch to 2-3 months.

Thanks for the explanation.

19 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Taking only 4 weeks is a good way to get better stars since it doesn't take too much time off their schedule.

I also think it's good to do it this way to keep the stars a secret longer.  Otherwise, the judges could get help from the viewers when it comes to guesses. 

• Love 1

I wonder what kind of confidentiality agreement they have to sign and what happens if they don't maintain it? Apparently Peta was photographed several months ago by the paparazzi wearing the black Don't Talk To Me sweatshirt the contestants are given.