Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Nowhere in the Multiverse

Aulty
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Aulty said:

Sam Vimes wakes up in an alternate universe where he's a prisoner in the middle of a jailbreak.

The plot of Night Watch after it has gone through 100 rounds of 'telephone'? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
38 minutes ago, kieyra said:

The plot of Night Watch after it has gone through 100 rounds of 'telephone'? 

I listened to the Night Watch audiobook over the weekend just to remind myself of the plot.  There must've been a few deaf people in that telephone line-up.

If this show is ever aired here on the British BBC the show runners, writers and commissioner will be eaten alive by both, the viewers and the media.

• LOL 2
Just now, Aulty said:

If this show is ever aired here on the British BBC the show runners, writers and commissioner will be eaten alive by both, the viewers and the media.

Oh, this is a US-only abomination, for now? 

• Useful 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Oh, this is a US-only abomination, for now? 

Its on BBC America and afaik was produced by and for BBC America, which also means its not funded by British taxpayer money.

Edited by Aulty
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

I have no words. How pissed do you have to be to be able to follow that story.

Right!?  I like the universe (haven't really read much Pratchett), like the characters and cinematography, but I can't figure out wtf is going on.   Thought I'd just missed something last Sunday when I was recovering from minor eye surgery. 

I kind of liked this episode, I understood it better than any of the others. I just wondered why Cheery didn't use his Powers of the Dark to catch the bad guys when they were all standing in the same place right in front of him.

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I kind of liked this episode, I understood it better than any of the others. I just wondered why Cheery didn't use his Powers of the Dark to catch the bad guys when they were all standing in the same place right in front of him.

Hang on. I'm not watching this show, just following viewer reactions out of morbid curiosity, but I need to comment on this. Is Cheery a male in this show? Seriously? After everything she goes through to identify as female in the books?

5 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Hang on. I'm not watching this show, just following viewer reactions out of morbid curiosity, but I need to comment on this. Is Cheery a male in this show? Seriously? After everything she goes through to identify as female in the books?

No, she is female, but played by a male, I forgot.

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

She is trans. They still adress and manage to emotionally portray her struggle to be accepted. Personally, I don't mind that deviation because Jo Eaton-Kent gives such a great performance and the personality of the character isn't too far off the book version. The fact that she is pushing 6 ft, and thus about the same height as Carrot, is more annoying.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

51 minutes ago, Aulty said:

She is trans. They still adress and manage to emotionally portray her struggle to be accepted. Personally, I don't mind that deviation because Jo Eaton-Kent gives such a great performance and the personality of the character isn't too far off the book version. The fact that she is pushing 6 ft, and thus about the same height as Carrot, is more annoying.

Thank you! I was worried there for a minute. I mean, I still have no intention of watching the show, for many, many reasons, but at least that part of Cheery's story hasn't been changed.

On 2/9/2021 at 4:56 AM, Aulty said:

The fact that she is pushing 6 ft, and thus about the same height as Carrot, is more annoying.

... are 'dwarves' even a thing in this show? 

(Asking because, like many others, I refuse to watch it. Thanks for taking the hit!)

2 hours ago, kieyra said:

... are 'dwarves' even a thing in this show? 

(Asking because, like many others, I refuse to watch it. Thanks for taking the hit!)

Yes. Carrot's backstory - as in the book - is dwarf based and Cheery is  identified as a dwarf. In last week's episode they visited Cheery's old mine and thats also the episode that portrais Cheery's struggles when 'coming out' and ditching the beard. There are dwarves but they are not of the typical dwarf physique. There're some dwarf jokes in it too.

I think the shortest actor, at 5 ft, on the show is Marama Corlett, who plays Angua. With her its proabably to emphasise the angst and shame she feels about turning into a werewolf.

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 1
On 2/8/2021 at 11:54 PM, AnimeMania said:

Cheery's actor, Jo Eaton-Kent, is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns.

I still quite like the show myself, and will miss the show when it's over next week. The show seems to devote its focus more on the world-building and character arcs (and I love the world and characters), so it's not exactly boring or spinning its wheels in my opinion, but the story seems to lack narrative complexity, the entire plot has never really evolved from "find the McGuffins before Carcer, because Carcer wants to use the McGuffins to summon a dragon for Reasons" and beyond the revelation that Carcer's Reasons are on behalf of those multidimensional beings in Locker Land, there hasn't been a lot of depth to the plot. But, I'm still here for it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yay, Detritus is back! I mean, they shouldn't have killed him in the first place, but I'm glad we get to see him again.

I guess Carrot is drawn to authority in all Universes?

On 2/14/2021 at 1:24 AM, jaigurudeva said:

the entire plot has never really evolved from "find the McGuffins before Carcer, because Carcer wants to use the McGuffins to summon a dragon for Reasons" and beyond the revelation that Carcer's Reasons are on behalf of those multidimensional beings in Locker Land, there hasn't been a lot of depth to the plot.

Book Spoilers:

Spoiler

I'm guessing we're not going to go with the book plot and have the dragon can enter their reality by itself and declare itself King, though it's possible that Goodboy Bindle Featherstone (Errol) might end up saving the day. Though that ending might seem like a rip off of Shrek, even though Guards! Guards! was written first.