Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Brand New Funk

• Start Topic

I get that they're trying to say Harrison is from a different generation and he shows his love in a different way, but it drives me crazy because my dad was similar (and he was nowhere near Harrison's age). He once told me that my mom would get upset with him because he wouldn't say "I love you" very often. I pointed out that it cost him LITERALLY NOTHING to say those words and it would make her happy, but he insisted that saying it once in a while should be enough.

I did love Harrison joining in with Paul and his high school friend at the end because he had the requisite 80s saxophone.

Ha, of course Santi is the one who invented fringe!

The blatant racism from the partners was cringeworthy but accurate.

• Love 5

"I have my whole life to smoke on planes." "I'm a product of the depression, they hadn't invented feelings yet." 

Gary Cole is an absolute treasure. Harrison and Paul are just so different and from such different generations, it can be frustrating to see them struggle to communicate, but I get it. Its clear that Harrison loves his family, just he sucks at actually verbalizing it, while verbalizing his feels is one of Paul's favorite activities. I am glad that they had a nice talk at least, and that Harrison got to get his 80s shades on. 

Santi inventing fringe makes too much sense. 

Denise as Alicia's secretary is certainly going to be interesting, and by interesting I mean hilarious. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

"I have my whole life to smoke on planes." "I'm a product of the depression, they hadn't invented feelings yet." 

Part of the fun in watching this show is all the little nuggets they drop about how different the future is. They are doing a really good job incorporating events and pop culture things from that decade.  

• Love 5

It would be funny to see one of the partners at the law firm try to complain to Harrison about Alicia's new assistant, Denise, demanding that she be fired because she just doesn't fit in with the vibe of the office and the partner gets fired instead, never realizing that Denise and Harrison are the bestest of friends.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Part of the fun in watching this show is all the little nuggets they drop about how different the future is. They are doing a really good job incorporating events and pop culture things from that decade.  

Yup, I was just coming here to comment that because the show drops those little dialogue bits in such a funny way and they do it so well.  His other one was about Mel Gibson being normal.  Ha!

I am wondering if they have new writers or the writer's room has gelled in a different way?   Two episodes in and the show feels outright funnier.  Denise especially has some great lines -- her one about the towels "You got eight towels for five people. Santi little. She don't need her own." -- had me rolling.  But they are allowing Tika Sumpter to flex her comedy muscles a bit more this season.

Also "black people hot salad"  LOL.

edited to add:  Watching this episode you could almost tell it was probably filmed to accommodate Covid-19 protocols to minimize exposure.  If I remember correctly: Santi and Johan only did scenes with Rainbow.  Harrison was only with Paul and the High School friend guy.   I noticed it because I missed the big family scenes and especially Harrison and Denise's comic interaction.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6

Just to note, Tom Cruise's character does not become a partner at his office in the movie, The Firm, so Bow was wrong on that score.  

I am liking the focus being on the adult characters, and Bow being relegated to B plots.  I honestly find the kids less interesting than the adult characters. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Just to note, Tom Cruise's character does not become a partner at his office in the movie, The Firm, so Bow was wrong on that score.  

I read the book and then saw the movie. Normally when I watch movies, I am a quiet viewer because I don't want to be rude. Thankfully when I saw The Firm, it was in the comfort of my own home because I spent the last 2/3 of the movie yelling at my tv about how the plot was totally different from the book. But I definitely remember that he didn't work at the firm very long so there's no way he would have made partner.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I am liking the focus being on the adult characters, and Bow being relegated to B plots.  I honestly find the kids less interesting than the adult characters. 

I think that may be why I don't like the show as much as I want to. I think I'm not that fond of the kids, especially Santi. 

Being a latchkey kid was considered an achievement?

Wow, I'd never seen/heard that matchbook joke before. Was that actually a thing?

Furry toilet seats. Oy, been there, don't do that anymore. Because cat.

Oh, I bet Alicia is going to regret hiring Denise as an assistant attorney attorney's assistant. Interesting plot twist.

What was with all the Tom Cruise references?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Being a latchkey kid was considered an achievement?

I don't think achievement is the most accurate word, but for someone like Rainbow who had lived her entire life with parents and adults always around, being trusted to be alone in the house without any adult supervision was a big deal (even though Rainbow was not planning to do anything that her parents would disapprove of). It was that first feeling of independence and not being treated like a little kid anymore.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Gary Cole's interpretation of this character makes me wish Sherman Hemsley was around so that they could spar. it would be epic. 

Being considered responsible enough to be trusted as a latchkey kid was an accomplishment for kids at that time. If you were from a generally stable family environment and not expected to like raise your siblings while your parents were at the bar or something, those 2-3 hours time unfettered by adults were a treasure. I get almost the same rush I did being alone in my house now since Covid has basically glued all family members to one another most of the day.

• Love 1