Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: An Inconvenient Truth

• Start Topic

SEASON PREMIERE – The Charmed Ones’ (Melonie Diaz, Madeleine Mantock and Sarah Jeffery) lives are in jeopardy as the faction closes in. Macy and Harry (Rupert Evans) struggle to define their relationship. Stuart Gillard directed the episode written by Natalia Fernandez (episode #301). Original airdate 1/24/2021.

I enjoyed the epi... Look forward to see how they move the pieces around.. I hope they keep harry and macy apart.. I was never a fan of the romance to begin with.. I just think it was a little cliche and its really complicated In-universe... If he was just a guy or some magical creature.. But he's their white-lighter.. All of them.. So breezing past the fact he's known of them since they were children.. If he saved macy in a tight situation and mel or Maggie got hurt.. It would just ve a powder keg... So I hope they scrap it... I liked Jordan and Abby.. Was wondering what they would do while all this faction( horrible name)  stuff was going down..  Cabt wait to see her witchy sister... 

Well the show is back and practically jumped right back into where we left off so it didnt really feel like much of a season premiere. 

It was a decent episode, maybe im just used to the show now after 3 years but it didnt overtly piss me off. Still think they need to expand the sisters storylines more instead of having these supporting characters take up screentime that doesnt involve them at all. Does Abby really need a sister? How many siblings can she have?

Maggie/Mel story was a little funny with Maggie messing up Mels emotions. I think its an improvement over Phoebes version of empathy though I feel like Id like it a bit better if she had to make physical contact with someone to do the whole change of emotions thing that happened.

Im so over the Macy/Harry drama, they were together for not even a hot second before they went into "we can never be together, erase my emotions" drama and the whole "here's this magical community but everyone is invisible and it looks dingy" was....very COVID of them. At least spruce up the place and add some magical effects.

Glad that Mel finally broke and had a meltdown about how ridiculous their life is. Ive never agreed with her more.

That virus potion was obviously a bad idea, which they all seemed to realize, and then they just... gave it to Jimmy and set him loose? If everyone he comes in contact with thinks he's a great guy and wants to help him, he could end up a cult leader or something! Lots of people do horrible things while thinking they're great people who are in the right, so this could backfire spectacularly. I still assume that he and Harry will need to recombine at some point, so I expect we haven't seen the last of him, in any case.

Jordan's quest really needs to pick up, and Abigael needs something to do besides mope around and reluctantly help our heroes. I suppose this new sister (I assume from the witch side rather than the demon side) could be promising.

Both Mel and Maggie felt sidelined this episode... once again, it was all about Macy and Harry. I don't hate the pairing or anything, but it's really taken over the show. Mel especially needs a storyline. I can't remember anything interesting she did last season besides bond with Abigael a little bit (and I still want them to hook up, so sue me). I also just want more of the sisters together instead of off in separate subplots.

• Love 5

It feels like this show has been off the air forever, and I can barely remember what happened last season. That's partly because it's been so long but it's also because the season was so scattered and unfocused it was really hard to follow.

This episode seemed more coherent than anything they did last season, so here's hoping they are going to clean up their mess. I noticed only one writer credited for the episode, so that's an improvement right there.

Still, the show could use some paring. The idea behind Maggie trying to control Mel's mood was funny but it didn't get enough attention. Too much time spent on Jordan and Abigael - I can't even remember why he's cursed and I really don't care. I don't care one way or another whether Harry and Macy get together, but let's not drag this out. He'd be an idiot to let Maggie experiment with her new power on him. Look what she just did to Mel. 

"here's this magical community but everyone is invisible and it looks dingy"

Yeah - first Harry says their magic won't work in the black market, but then they get there and everyone is invisible?? Make up your mind.

• Love 1

So we begin another season, and hopefully its better than last season at least. I don't want the show to do another reboot like last season, but it has a LOT of problems from last season that I hope that it resolves. At least with the evil aunt and her evil human faction trying to steal magic, we have a plot to focus on, last season felt so all over the place with so many new plots and concepts and characters, that none of them really had a chance to get developed. 

I also hope that they can figure out what they want to do with Macy and Harry. I really used to like the idea of them as a couple, but last season really turned me off of their drama, so now I just want them to commit to being a couple or not, no more going back and forth. I am also hoping for some more concrete world building than what we have gotten and a more solidly realized magical world. Last season they basically blew up the status quo with the Elders and we never really saw any more of the magical creatures from the first season, we mostly spent last season on demons, except for the history of the Dark/White Lighters, so I am hoping to get more of a feel for where we are now. 

The team up between Jordan and Abigail was alright, two characters that this show want around but haven't really figured out what to do with long term. 

Mel and Maggie were rather sidelined, they really need better plots this season, hopefully ones that aren't all about their romantic lives. 

• Love 1

I probably need to re-watch this all, since I wasn't completely paying attention.... But I agree that there is a lot going on and I wouldn't mind if things were a bit streamlined to give the sisters more of the main focus.

I don't mind the Macy/Harry pairing, but I wish they would just do it an leave it... I hate the trope of "happy couples are boring" couples in an ensemble cast can be mostly happy and not have drama/ break up/get back together stuff every episode. Just let them be together and work on some other drama/problems. It can cause some minor issues from time to time, sure, but making their relationship drama such a focus gets old when they've never just been together for awhile.... 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2021 at 10:57 PM, UnoAgain said:

I enjoyed the epi... Look forward to see how they move the pieces around.. I hope they keep harry and macy apart.. I was never a fan of the romance to begin with.. I just think it was a little cliche and its really complicated In-universe... If he was just a guy or some magical creature.. But he's their white-lighter.. All of them.. So breezing past the fact he's known of them since they were children.. If he saved macy in a tight situation and mel or Maggie got hurt.. It would just ve a powder keg... So I hope they scrap it... I liked Jordan and Abby.. Was wondering what they would do while all this faction( horrible name)  stuff was going down..  Cabt wait to see her witchy sister... 

Harry hasn’t known them since they were children - he only met Macy once when she was college aged. And then Marisol apparently wiped his memory. 

No way will this show scrap Hacy - they are invested in them long term, but I do see them breaking up for exactly that reason. I think one of TCOs will die (and be brought back) and Harry won’t be able to handle it and will break things off. Couple that with him potentially merging with Jimmy and that’s a volatile mix that will likely cause a Hacy rift - but of course they are gonna come back to one another. 

The showrunners have as much as said so - that Hacy is going to have trials and tribulations and a bumpy road to OTP bliss - they did an interview on YouTube talking about this. They’re totally the new Piper/Leo

Now I wonder if Abby and her sister (obviously a Jameson) are part of the dark trio the ghost witch mentioned in her riddle to Jordan.

My one hope for S3 (which really doesn’t start for real until episode 4) is they center the sisters together more. I think they need just a few more MOTW battles to show them together using their magic and the po3.

I liked seeing Maggie mess up Mel in that way - it was reminiscent of OG Charmed with their lack of control over their powers leading to situations like that. But - I have to say - Mel D is not a good actress. Her playing “giddy” was awful and her “meh” wasn’t that great either. TBH - the way she did the “he’s why we are stuck HERE, WITCHNESS PROTECTION” was done with such an odd inflection. She takes me out of any scene where she has to show emotion beyond simple sadness or sarcasm. She had gotten better over S2 but her scenes in this episode were awful - all except the one with Jimmy where she was going off on him (but I suspect that is because RE is that good he elevated her).

Edited by phoenics

But - I have to say - Mel D is not a good actress.

I think she's OK. I've always gotten the impression that the sisters more or less mirror the personalities of their counterparts in the O.G. show. Macy, for example, has a stubborn independent streak just like Page, and Maggie is a bit wild and reckless much like Phoebe. Mel keeps her emotions close to the vest like Piper, so it's often hard to know what she's feeling.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:40 PM, iMonrey said:

I think she's OK. I've always gotten the impression that the sisters more or less mirror the personalities of their counterparts in the O.G. show. Macy, for example, has a stubborn independent streak just like Page, and Maggie is a bit wild and reckless much like Phoebe. Mel keeps her emotions close to the vest like Piper, so it's often hard to know what she's feeling.

When she's more reserved and keeps things closer to her vest I find her more compelling.  It's when she has to act out extremes that her acting chops fail.  I compare her doing her scenes with Maggie and being all giddy or enraged to when Macy was doing the demon voodoo doll immortality thing and I cannot see Mel D pulling that off ever.  She just doesn't, imo, have the range of her castmates.

Finally decided to watch an episode of this on my PVR.  

This episode wasn't too bad, compared to the depths of Season 2.  However, I was really hoping they would quickly throw out the boring parts of last season, and yet Vivian the annoying aunt is still the Big Bad, and Abigail the screentime-hogging see-saw of changing sides is also back, this time paired with Jordan, the love interest they don't know what to do with (though I actually like watching him, as opposed to the snooze-worthy Abby, now with a sister!).  The Season 2 reset with Safe Space didn't work, and they needed another reset of sorts, not more of the same.  

Can't say this episode left me much to look forward to, but at least the main 4 characters are still likeable.