Type keyword(s) to search

Hudson And Rex - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Detective Charlie Hudson teams up with what he calls his "highly trained law enforcement animal" German Shepherd dog named Rex who he prefers to team up with because he doesn't talk his ear off.

Remake of the Austrian 1994 series Kommisar Rex.

Starring John Reardon, Mayko Nguyen, Kevin Hanchard, Justin Kelly. And Diesel von Burgimwald,

• Love 1
(edited)

In the Toronto area, CTV plays it at 8 on Tuesdays and 10 on Fridays.

I like it, it's pleasant to watch and nothing to hate about it, which I find with other shows. John Reardon has chemistry with just about everyone. And it's fun to watch Mayko Nguyen play a good person after the deliciously evil Delle Sayah.

ETA : Ouch. It's on City TV as @Pingaponga said, not CTV.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I have watched season 1, and part of season 2, on City on Demand. I had never heard of it before this past summer, when I decided after starting to re-watch Republic of Doyle that I should maybe try to "watch my way" across Canada and asked a bunch of friends for recommendations. (I got suggestions for shows filmed and/or set in every province except New Brunswick. Poor NB.  And damn, I live in a beautiful country.)

I'm enjoying the show more than I thought I would. I like the characters, and I am often surprised by "who did it". And it's just reinforcing my belief that I HAVE to visit Newfoundland someday.

• Love 3

I find this pretty bland. I think the main character doesn't appeal to me and the stuff with the dog just seems phoney. Like did they even bother to research how it actually works with dogs in policing? This dog is pretty much like Lassie that somehow magically gets everything.

I prefer that show with Jason Priestley. Better actors and characters. I'm kind of surprised this has lasted 3 seasons.

I remember when I was a kid and teenager CBC had such good and original programming.

Edited by cleo
On 2/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, cleo said:

I find this pretty bland.

They seem to have taken a lot of Newfoundland out of a show set - and filmed - in Newfoundland. No one speaks with a Newfoundland accent, or uses Newfoundland slang, despite the fact that, from a linguistic perspective, Newfoundland has one of the most distinct regional accents/slang words in Canada.

It's like they wanted the scenery of Newfoundland, but otherwise wanted a show that could be taking place anywhere else in Canada. If it weren't for the scenery, I'd have no idea this was set in St. John's.

It's kind of odd. And definitely adds to the blandness.

• Love 2

Season finale coming up April 6 th

"The Secret life of Levi"

Jesse's' friend vanishes; Charlie and Rex discover the man was living two separate lives.

No word yet on whether it's been renewed for another season.

I hope that it does get renewed; this show is my relaxation pleasure. It entertains me with interesting, intelligent enough stories and pleasant people who enjoy working with each other. There's nothing to hate watch about. I'm finding that it's one of my favourite shows of the week and one I really look forward to.

And even though it's really cheesy how Rex seems to read everyone's mind, he is beautiful to watch.

• Love 3

At the end of tonight's episode, which is the actual season finale, the four stars did a brief zoom clip announcing that the show has been renewed for a season 4 with another 16 episodes.  Yay! After the cancellations of Frankie Drake and Kim's Convenience, it's nice to have this to count on next year.

St John's is so pretty.

The bank robbery episode was interesting but a bit sloppy on the forensics. I kept shouting "test the wig for DNA".

Always the same four people hanging out together after work? Someone needs to make more social contacts (but not temporary relationships).

• Love 3

I only discovered this show this year, but I'm really glad I did and I was very happy to see there will be another season. I just wish that at some point in time we'd hear someone with a Newfoundland accent.

• Love 2

I missed the season opener and finally caught it last night. I thought that the case was one of the better ones, and it took me a while to recognize Daniel Maslany as a character completely different than his ideosyncratic Detective Watts on Murdoch Mysteries.

Nice to see 4 seasons of UST resolved quietly and in a way that doesn't affect the procedural nature of the show.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Nice to see 4 seasons of UST resolved quietly and in a way that doesn't affect the procedural nature of the show.

I missed the opener too.  Now, I have to know: did they put them together or apart?

42 minutes ago, Trey said:

I missed the opener too.  Now, I have to know: did they put them together or apart?

Under spoiler bars for those who don't want to be spoiled

Spoiler

We have no hints of it through the episodes, Hudson and Sara are working together professionally, except for a moment when Sara asks Michael if his reluctance to charge a suspect is "personal". In the last scene, Hudson is polishing his car and Sara comes up from having walked Rex. She says that she is going inside, is he coming, he is reluctant to leave off polishing his car, she says that she's thinking of going to the bedroom at which he throws the cloth away and goes up to her kissing her. All three of them go inside and the door closes.

• Thanks 1

It’s so good to see Rex again. I binge-watched S4 while waiting for S5.

Good season premiere with beautiful panoramic view. COTW was okay. Most of us can guess that Daniel Maslany isn’t going to be the bad guy…

This is the first time we have a coroner on screen, right? Normally Charlie will speak and follow-up (only) with Sarah re autopsy results. I don’t really understand about Sarah’s roles and responsibilities in the team. Is she the Head of Forensic or something? She seems to be all over the place unlike Jesse.

20 minutes ago, Trey said:

SPOILER ALERT!

Watch this…

Spoiler
  • Love 2

So, I've been quietly watching this show. I've been mostly enjoying it, though the writing can really be up in the air.

There was an episode last night and it's a two parter, and it most definitely is a backdoor pilot because there were new characters thrown in who we saw more than the actual main characters, and I'm not really sure I'm interested in what they're trying to put out for a new show.

It was just a weirdly disjointed episode. Especially given this was supposedly a Jesse-centric episode (the first of the season, even), there was too much of the spinoff characters. And the fact that we randomly get introduced to his sister (I don't think we knew he had siblings out there?), who caused more trouble than anything. Just a weird episode all around.

• Like 1
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

So, I've been quietly watching this show. I've been mostly enjoying it, though the writing can really be up in the air.

There was an episode last night and it's a two parter, and it most definitely is a backdoor pilot because there were new characters thrown in who we saw more than the actual main characters, and I'm not really sure I'm interested in what they're trying to put out for a new show.

It was just a weirdly disjointed episode. Especially given this was supposedly a Jesse-centric episode (the first of the season, even), there was too much of the spinoff characters. And the fact that we randomly get introduced to his sister (I don't think we knew he had siblings out there?), who caused more trouble than anything. Just a weird episode all around.

Agree. I found myself zoning out when the other characters were on the screen….I still have to finish watching it, and I normally love this show.  Rex is one of my favourite leading men…er,dogs. 

• Like 2

I saw the new episode was on but wasn't feeling well so I went to bed instead of watching it.

I hope I can catch it this weekend somewhere.

I've been watching reruns of The Littlest Hobo lately - just for the theme song, I swear - and I wonder who would be smarter, Rex or Hobo?

• LOL 1

I really like this show but that episode was just a mess.  Jesse can fly a plane because he plays a video game that flys a plane is bad enough but the idea that he does surgery on Sarah without any instruments or knowledge or even hand sanitizer.  Is Hudson going to save them in the next episode? Sarah should not be a damsel in distress.

I kept waiting for Rex to make friends with one of the wolves, especially since the next episode is called 'Due North.'

This episode was too dark for me. Not just all the random killing and shooting but how dare they put Rex into real danger? The couple who picked him up threatening to use chains to "train" him is not making me want to tune back in.

Good to see Megan Follows (who is looking more and more like her mother Dawn Greenhalgh). And Patrick Sabongui has moved over from being Captain Singh on The Flash to the police captain here.

On a positive note, I have really liked how they put Hudson and Sarah together but kept it quiet and didn't let the relationship take over the show, a mistake too many shows make.

• Like 4

At least the second part of this backdoor pilot was better, though not by a whole lot. Still too much of the new spinoff characters and not enough of our actual characters. 

But still, Sarah had internal bleeding, needed surgery and she was able to be released the same day? Jesse and Crystal seemed to only have minor bruises, even though Jesse was clearly shown to have cracked ribs last episode and now he barely is wincing. 

I ended up fast forwarding through most of the end, since it was just about Spinoff Detective's dead husband. Sorry, show, I will very likely not be tuning in to Spinoff Show. Even if it does have a Mini Rex. 

On 3/24/2023 at 11:40 PM, statsgirl said:

On a positive note, I have really liked how they put Hudson and Sarah together but kept it quiet and didn't let the relationship take over the show, a mistake too many shows make.

I liked it at first, but we're sixteen episodes in and they still haven't told anyone about their relationship? Jesse had suspicion on them for a single episode and that's been it. Maybe I'm just surprised that a couple is actually remaining secret for this long. In the show timeline, they've been dating quietly for months. It's just different for a show to do that, but I'm still deciding whether it's a good thing or not. I mean, other people have to figure it out at some point, right? Or Sarah and Charlie have to tell people eventually. I'm not even sure why they're still waiting. I get maybe the first month or two, but it's gotta be going on more than six months, at this point. 

• Like 1

I only watch this show because of Diesel vom Burgimwald. He’s a much better actor than John Reardon & Mayko Nguyen. Kudos to his trainer, Sherri Davis.

So, they have wasted 2 episodes to setup a backdoor pilot for Scott & Little Rex. The scenery is gorgeous, very Nat Geo. But the storylines aren’t believable especially for Jesse and Sarah. Charlie has been given a C-plot of a cold case but in the end he easily decides to bury the ghost he’s been chasing for years. I seriously thought that we’ll be seeing Charlie working on this in next episode.

Will i be watching the new spinoff? Nope. There’s only ONE Rex for me. 😊

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I only watch this show because of Diesel vom Burgimwald. He’s a much better actor than John Reardon & Mayko Nguyen. Kudos to his trainer, Sherri Davis.

So, they have wasted 2 episodes to setup a backdoor pilot for Scott & Little Rex. The scenery is gorgeous, very Nat Geo. But the storylines aren’t believable especially for Jesse and Sarah. Charlie has been given a C-plot of a cold case but in the end he easily decides to bury the ghost he’s been chasing for years. I seriously thought that we’ll be seeing Charlie working on this in next episode.

Will i be watching the new spinoff? Nope. There’s only ONE Rex for me. 😊

My biggest fear isn’t that there is a little Rex spin-off, it is that there is a little Rex replacement series.   The very handsome and talented Diesel is 7.   He only has a few working years left.   Originally I thought they might transition one of his nephews into the role, but maybe the actors are getting ready to move on too?

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

My biggest fear isn’t that there is a little Rex spin-off, it is that there is a little Rex replacement series.   The very handsome and talented Diesel is 7.   He only has a few working years left.   Originally I thought they might transition one of his nephews into the role, but maybe the actors are getting ready to move on too?

Canadian shows like this don't tend to go longer than 5-6 seasons (obviously there are some exceptions), so I do expect that they may be looking to wrap up Hudson & Rex this season, OR give them a shortened final season. I don't imagine the show will go past seven seasons. And, yeah, I imagine Diesel won't be working for too much longer. I feel like they tend to retire working dogs like this early, and I think he's at the end of his working years. He won't be working past 9 years old, that's for sure, but I actually do think that's why I think they could end the show this season.

And, yeah, this new spinoff show seems ready to be a replacement. I just don't think I'm interested enough to watch. I didn't have interest in any of the characters or plots they introduced. So, if that series gets picked up, I'll be skipping it. 

• Like 1

Hudson and Rex is a family affair here - our dog is in love with Rex! (The adults are in love with the scenery.)

Curious if anyone here is also watching Sullivan's Crossing. I've searched for it on this forum and can't find a thread... any assistance will be appreciated!

• Like 3

I never did find the first part of the show but I enjoyed this episode even without knowing how it all came about. I guess I missed all the ridiculous plot points.

I didn't know I was such a fan of Megan Follows but apparently I am. I thought she was great in this role.  I don't know if this really is supposed to be a spin-off but I would probably give it a shot. However I didn't like her naming the dog Little Rex - the dog needs a name of his own.

Side note: She and both her parents guest starred in a three-parter of The Littlest Hobo.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Trey said:

I never did find the first part of the show but I enjoyed this episode even without knowing how it all came about. I guess I missed all the ridiculous plot points.

I didn't know I was such a fan of Megan Follows but apparently I am. I thought she was great in this role.  I don't know if this really is supposed to be a spin-off but I would probably give it a shot. However I didn't like her naming the dog Little Rex - the dog needs a name of his own.

Side note: She and both her parents guest starred in a three-parter of The Littlest Hobo.

I wonder if it is a requirement if this ends up as a spin off.   Hudson and Rex is based on an Austrian/Italian coproduction Commisar (sp) Rex.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I was not in the right mood for the darkness of the first of the two-part episode, but the scenery was gorgeous. Ontario in the fall is absolutely stunning. But if they are going to do a spin-off, I'd hope it's overall tone becomes less dark than these two episodes.

I too am watching The Spencer Sisters (I never knew Winnipeg, where it is filmed, is so pretty!) and Sullivan's Crossing.

• Like 3
On 3/29/2023 at 12:08 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

I only watch this show because of Diesel vom Burgimwald. He’s a much better actor than John Reardon & Mayko Nguyen.

But he chews the scenery somethimes.

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 4/1/2023 at 9:45 AM, Trey said:

But he chews the scenery sometimes.

I don't know what this post is supposed to be.  Perhaps it could be deleted?

Edited by Trey
(edited)

Sheri held a meet and greet for charity .  Some of her stories:

She had gone to buy a pup.  There were two puppies available. She was sitting on a milk carton. One came over to her to play.  One ran around like a maniac.  She realized there was an adult Shepard watching from a cage at the other end of the kennel.  She asked to meet him but was told he was unmanageable, dangerous and had been returned.   They were considering taking him out to the forest and…

She asked to meet him since she did a lot of work with difficult dogs.  Once the door was opened, he charged at her full speed. Startled, she fell back off the milk carton. He put the brakes on and stopped in front of her.  Then he laid across her and stared at her with adoring eyes.  She took him and his two nephews. 

An exec from Shaftsbury, the company that makes Hudson and Rex came to visit   He had been by bafore, but her other shepherds were black.  He took one look at Diesel and hired him.  Diesel had been with Sheri for 1 week at that point but it all worked out. 

They got rid of the Jeep because jumping in and out, sometimes 5 or even 10-15 times a take was too hard on Diesel because the backseat is almost 4 feet high and he is only 2 feet.  It got so that eventually he’d just lie down and refuse to move, if he had to do it too many times.

He is too big to jump out of the car window even if you grease him…over 100 lbs and big bones. One of his nephews is slender and does it…one of her assistants shows him his Teddie and then runs away.  He flies out of the car to get his toy back. 

The double episode…Sheri trained all the animals including the bird.  No special effects, cgi or green screen. 

And little Rex…is played by Rex’s 4 1/2 month old daughter Emma!

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Once the door was opened, he charged at her full speed. Startled, she fell back off the milk carton. He put the brakes on and stopped in front of her.  Then he laid across her and stared at her with adoring eyes.

That is so sweet. I think that there is some dust in my eyes.

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes watching the show even better.

• Like 3

Super cute!

And also thrilled with the renewal. I suspect season 6 will be its last (Diesel's been doing this a long time and I can't expect them to just replace Diesel once he retires) but I'm glad we get a confirmed season six.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Super cute!

And also thrilled with the renewal. I suspect season 6 will be its last (Diesel's been doing this a long time and I can't expect them to just replace Diesel once he retires) but I'm glad we get a confirmed season six.

I agree.  John / Charlie made a point to mention they will hit 100 episodes next season.  That’s a good milestone to end on.  And that two parter with “young Rex” sets up a spin off starting Emma, Diesel’s daughter.  

• Like 2

That was almost too intense for me what with Jesse nearly dying and Rex locked in a container and maybe being sent to Ghana.  It's a good thing this wasn't a cliffhanger - I don't think I could've stood it.

• Like 3

I was very surprise with how intense the finale was. I didn't expect the plot with Jesse to go the way it did; I think the preview led me into a false sense of security (as they spoiled he'd get through at least the initial shooting). It's been a while since they've gone that dark and actually committed, even with the clear backdoor pilot and Sarah getting injured (they really sped through her recovery there). They still kind of jumped through Jesse's recovery a bit (him being back at the office at the end) but at least they didn't have him get shot and then be A-OK like they've done before with the rare injuries on this show.

And the case was surprisingly intriguing. Again, didn't expect them to go as dark as they did with the couple stealing cars and shipping them off.

I'm glad the show's been renewed. I'm curious about Jesse deciding to try to make detective, which could be a great plot to explore.

• Like 2