Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Sisters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Police officer Darby Spencer and her mystery novelist mother Victoria Spencer have opposite personalities but still embark on the unlikeliest of ventures: becoming partners in a private detective agency.

Starring Lea Thompson and Stacey Farber

Everyone keeps saying they look like sisters but I think Lea Thompson looks every one of her years.

It is a good dynamic bethween them and I do enjoy the show.  I would put it above Private Eyes and probably even Hudson and Rex.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Everyone keeps saying they look like sisters but I think Lea Thompson looks every one of her years.

I've only seen the commercials so far but I love the little moment where some guy says this to them and Lea kind of smirks.  I've got to remember to catch this as it's one of the few times I've seen a show advertised recently that actually made me want to watch it!

• Like 2

I watch it on the regular CTV channel on Friday night, 9 pm.  I know it is shown again sometime during the week but I forget when.  It's a CTV show so maybe on CTV Drama.

• Like 2

I"m enjoying this  It's lighthearted and the mysteries hold my interest.  i think the Mother character (Lea) is a bit much but I like the daughter. I do like the group of supporting characters.

They do look like they could be mother/daughter but definitely not sisters  (although there are those rare cases - my Dad was 23 years younger than his oldest sister - there were however 9 children between them).  Victoria's house is gorgeous.  I couldn't believe in that humongous house that she wanted to convert the daughter's bedroom in to their office.

• Like 4
On 4/2/2023 at 9:22 AM, Trey said:

I watch it on the regular CTV channel on Friday night, 9 pm.  I know it is shown again sometime during the week but I forget when.  It's a CTV show so maybe on CTV Drama.

Oh, darn, that's a Canadian channel.  We wouldn't be able to get it.  Maybe it will eventually show up on some U.S. streaming service.

I think the writers from So Help Me Todd are also working on The Spencer Sisters.  They have the very same story line about the mothers' relationship with their husbands.

Next week's episode is the season finale.

No word yet if it has been renewed.  I hope it will be.

• Like 1

Surprised at what Billy turned out to be.  Good episode but then I enjoyed the series  and hope there is a second one.  I found the first episode the least interesting/enjoyable.  I liked all the supporting characters

• Like 4

having a poster print that was obviously not an oil on canvas was sloppy. go to a cheap gallery, get an oil, remove it from the frame and bob's your painting.

also found the reference to the [dweeb] detective being called to Ottawa interesting. So not only filmed in Canada, but placed there as well. Not surprising for a CTV original I suppose.

lots of preludes to another season. Could be interesting.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2023 at 9:17 AM, Trey said:

Probably the best episode of the season.

I agree. Lots of fun twists (I liked them all except the ex-boyfriend getting interest in Darby again), and well done.  The detective threatening to put Victoria in jail and her replying that she'd still be able to solve it faster than he could was funny.

It was directed by Amanda Tapping, of Stargate and Sanctuary fame.

I hope the show gets sold abroad and gets a season 2.

• Like 2

I've always liked Lea Thompson and I enjoyed this series.  It's a rather fluffy show - not as hard-core as a cable drama series, which is sometimes all that you want for an evening of TV watching.

I was surprised with some of the swear words that got past the sensors - I guess Canadian TV is more liberal than the US networks.

They've definitely set things up for another season, so hopefully the show will be back.

• Like 3

p23847169_b_v9_aa.jpg

The Spencer Sisters    Wednesday, October 4, 2023   CW   9pm  10 episodes

The story focuses on Victoria Spencer, a best-selling mystery novelist, and her daughter Darby Spencer, who has hit a roadblock in her career as a police officer. Darby's frustration leads her to quit, and she reluctantly has to move back home with her rich but lonely mom. Victoria and Darby join forces to help investigate one of Darby’s old friends who has been accused of plagiarism, the excitement and their success has Victoria printing up “The Spencer Sisters Detective Agency” on business cards, since sometimes people mistake them for sisters.

victoria-season-1-episode-1-spencer-sist

Lea Thompson as Victoria Spencer, a successful mystery novelist.

Ayesha Mansur Gonsalves as Sarita Stark, Victoria’s feisty literary agent 

Husein Madhavji as Alastair Dhumal, Victoria’s “IT Consultant” (hacker). 

zane-darby-spencer-sisters-series-1-epis

Stacey Farber as Darby Spencer, an ex-police officer and Victoria Spencer's daughter.

SpencerSistersZane.thumb.jpg.578cf2826529b9af15282eb2ec6e3c70.jpg
Thomas Antony Olajide as Zane Graham, a local cop and Darby’s best friend in high school. 

Rodrigo Massa as Antonio Pereira, Zane’s husband, who operates a Brazilian bistro

Edward Ruttle as Doctor Lucas Collins, Darby’s old high school flame.

Kaitlyn Leeb as Lindsay Yip, Lucas’ fiancée, a hotshot lawyer.

Adam Hurtig as Detective Harris, the lead detective of the local police force.

S01.E01: The Scholar’s Snafu

_spencersisters_sps101_4.webp

After her life in the city falls apart, former cop Darby Spencer (Stacey Farber) is forced to return to her childhood home and her estranged, best-selling mystery novelist mother Victoria Spencer (Lea Thompson). But when Darby’s friend Kaia (guest star Jennifer Hui) is wrongfully accused of plagiarism, Darby and Victoria must put aside their differences and investigate, uncovering a wide-ranging scandal. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, October 4, 2023   CW   9pm 

spencer-sisters-season-1-episode-1c.jpeg

spencer-sisters-season-1-episode-1e.jpeg

Watching here in the US on the CW channel.

Enjoyed the show very much (more than Sullivan's Landing).

I do think the whole "you look like sisters" trope is meant to be a joke; the folks saying it to mom are trying to suck up to her while she thinks it is a 'real' compliment.  The daughter is having none of it.

It does remind me a bit of SO Help Me Todd as someone above mentioned.

• Like 5

S01.E02: The Executive's Elegy

K245uRxJFnnhqkKrcvAO8pyZzw.jpg

When pharmaceutical CEO Marlina (guest star Nancy Sorel) comes home to find her fiancé drowned, Victoria (Lea Thompson) and Darby (Stacey Farber) investigate whether he was a victim of corporate espionage or Marlina’s own progeny. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2023   CW   9pm  

S01.E03: The Coder's Calamity

thecwtitles7.jpg.webp

Darby (Stacey Farber) and Victoria (Lea Thompson) investigate stolen intellectual property for a trio of Silicon Valley-style tech developers. Meanwhile, Nerves fray as the mother-daughter duo trip over each other in their shared work and living space. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2023   CW   9pm  

Don't grab the attacker's assault weapon with your bare hands, you were supposed to dust it for prints. Servers are notorious for the amount of power they consume and the heat they generate. How are they checking the data, was the server even plugged in? I am not sure how they were going to go live shortly, if they didn't have a server farm secured yet.

S01.E04: The Restauranteur's Ruin

MV5BZmY1MTJiYjQtNDdhMS00YzA2LWIzYzYtNTRl

When local bistro owner Antonio’s (Rodrigo Massa) professional reputation is targeted, he seeks out Darby (Stacey Farber) and Victoria’s (Lea Thompson) investigative services, while asking them to keep it a secret from his husband Zane (Thomas Antony Olajide).

Premiere Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2023   CW   9pm  

ie_108501.jpeg

S01.E05: The Decorator's Debacle

642f075e16b97.jpg

Darby (Stacey Farber) and Victoria (Lea Thompson) team up with Victoria’s excitable friend Rory (Seán Cullen) to investigate what he is sure was an attempt on his life, only to uncover a shocking – and legitimate – crime in progress. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2023   CW   9pm  

S01.E06: The Winemaker's Woe

642f0783da76f.jpg

Darby (Stacey Farber) and Victoria (Lea Thompson) are hired by a former schoolmate of Darby’s to investigate acts of vandalism at his winery, only to expose a family secret that threatens its very foundation. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, November 8, 2023   CW   9pm  

S01.E07: The Lawyer's Lament

642f07a4e64d5.jpg

When Darby’s (Stacey Farber) ex Lucas (Edward Ruttle) hires The Spencer Sisters to investigate a series of escalating threats against his fiancée Lindsay (Kaitlyn Leeb), Darby and Victoria (Lea Thompson) must open their home to the couple while they investigate. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2023   CW   9pm  

S01.E08: The Virtuoso's Vexation

Fskc7FAWYBgpJE0?format=jpg&name=large

Darby (Stacey Farber) and Victoria (Lea Thompson) are hired by the director of an elite music academy to recover a priceless stolen violin. Plus, Darby’s suspicion of Victoria’s new boyfriend Billy (guest star Paul Popowich) grows, leading her to seek Alastair’s (Husein Madhavji) help.

Premiere Date: Wednesday, November 22, 2023     CW     9pm  

Fskc39DWYAMzwjS?format=jpg&name=large

FskdEruWYAs5KtD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FskdKhiWYAUK6Yn?format=jpg&name=large

S01.E09: The Diva's Disaster

c463073e6b3a4e702768682123e7958c.jpg

Candace Buchanan (guest star Cindy Sampson), the actress who played ‘Bryn Martell’ in the movies based on Victoria’s (Lea Thompson) books, calls Victoria after she’s accused of the attempted murder of a co-star.

Premiere Date: Wednesday, November 29, 2023   CW   9pm  

FttbzpeWYAAQ-kj?format=jpg&name=large

FttbzrvWwAA5p_A?format=jpg&name=large

Next New Episode: December 13, 2023   

Edited by AnimeMania

S01.E10: The Runaway's Regret

c3b8673b8ebf63ab33f815896b5ae1cb.jpg

(Season Finale)

When Billy (Paul Popowich) is kidnapped, Victoria (Lea Thompson) and Darby (Stacey Farber) must set aside their differences to save him and figure out the truth behind his mysterious identity. 

Premiere Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2023   CW   9pm  

FuRUWN1X0AY_qoz?format=jpg&name=4096x409