Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Invasion in the Media

• Start Topic

The trailers look very good, but so did The Falcon and the Winter Soldier's and that show ran on for too many hours. At the moment except waiting for  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Andor's second season this is the only thing to make me look at Disney +

• Like 2
(edited)

Marvel Studios Had 1 Requirement for Nick Fury's 2023 Return, Reveals MCU Director
By Russ Milheim   May 29, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/nick-fury-marvel-studios-return-2023-mcu

In an interview with Total Film, Secret Invasion director Ali Selim revealed that Marvel Studios required Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury to show up "as a film-noir character" when he made his MCU return. 
"We leaned into the notion that Nick Fury shows up as a film-noir character, and transitions into more of a lone wolf, western character as the show goes on. So we were looking at 'The Third Man'. We were looking at Clint Eastwood, 'Unforgiven'. There are little tips of the hat to 'The Searchers'. Ultimately, that’s what Marvel required and requested, and, I’d like to think, appreciated."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Next on Disney+: June 2023
May 15, 2023
https://press.disneyplus.com/news/next-on-disney-plus-june-2023 

Wednesday, June 21
Secret Invasion - Premiere - Episode 1
In Marvel Studios’ new series “Secret Invasion,” set in the present day MCU, Nick Fury learns of a clandestine invasion of Earth by a faction of shapeshifting Skrulls. Fury joins his allies, including Everett Ross, Maria Hill and the Skrull Talos, who has made a life for himself on Earth. Together they race against time to thwart the imminent Skrull invasion and save humanity.
Wednesday, June 28
Secret Invasion - Episode 2

• Like 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone know which movies are the most important to have seen to watch this? I haven't seen any of the movies since Endgame. I'll probably still watch this without seeing any of the recent movies anyway lol.

Since you're not buying the its all connected line The first Captain Marvel introduces us to what seems to be the main players 30 years ago. Spiderman Far From Home shows what they have been up to post Endgame blip.

Since Disney put out the first 5minutes, the first episode discussion might have a lot about a Black Panther character and where he was at the end of that movie 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Go to Marvel's twitter for videos of red carpet interviews with cast members...

Media got advance screening of first two eps...

The First Reactions to Marvel’s Secret Invasion Have Arrived
By Kirsten Howard    June 14, 2023
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/secret-invasion-reactions/ 

First Secret Invasion Reactions Call Nick Fury Spy Thriller "Marvel's Andor"
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - June 14, 2023
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/marvel-studios-secret-invasion-reactions-reviews-nick-fury-samuel-l-jackson/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Kevin Feige: Secret Invasion’s ‘Darker, Grittier’ Take on Comic Book Arc Takes Cues From Winter Soldier
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  JUNE 14, 2023
https://tvline.com/previews/kevin-feige-secret-invasion-spy-drama-captain-america-winter-soldier-1235000542/ 

So, what is Secret Invasion‘s larger Phase 5 mission, as an espionage drama revolving around a stealth sect of shapeshifting Skrulls on Earth? (Read our review.)

“There are story points that people will see over the course of the series, obviously…,” Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige told TVLine during a Wednesday press conference. And while he, unsurprisingly, stopped short of spoiling the specific beats Secret Invasion will hit, Feige did speak of a Marvel movie it very much will evoke.

“[Producer] Jonathan [Schwartz] came into my office a number of years ago, when we were thinking about what kind of shows to do on Disney+…,” Feige recalled. “He came in with this idea of translating the great Secret Invasion storyline from the comics” — which spanned eight issues and crossed over The Avengers with many other sets of characters — “into a darker, grittier spy show, which we hadn’t done” on TV before.

“We love to do different genres” among Marvel’s film and TV projects “and this was an attempt to dive back into things we touched upon in The Winter Soldier, but hadn’t in a while.”
“[It’s about] really delving into the tone of a spy show, and seeing a very different dynamic between Fury and Talos than we had seen in our ’90s buddy action movie, Captain Marvel,” said Feige.
Secret Invasion, premiering Wednesday, June 21, is set in “what we’re calling ‘the present day MCU,'” a “post-She-Hulk, post-Blip” world, producer Jonathan Schwartz affirmed. And by the end of its six-episode run, it will have teed up the likes of The Marvels (due in theaters Nov. 10) and the Rhodey/Don Cheadle-centric Armor Wars movie, among other upcoming Marvel fare, said Feige.

“I mean, the repercussions will be felt in coming projects,” the Marvel boss teased.

Secret Invasion Review: With Nick Fury-Led Espionage Thriller, TV’s MCU Shapeshifts Into Something New and Deeper
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  JUNE 14, 2023
https://tvline.com/reviews/secret-invasion-review-marvel-series-disney-plus-samuel-l-jackson-1235000281/ 

What is left for one to say about Samuel L. Jackson? His Nick Fury has always been cool like the other side of the pillow, but as both Maria Hill and Talos note here, he’s been quite distant since disappearing during the Blip. In fact, he’s been literally and frustratingly distant, while overseeing the build of the S.A.B.E.R. space station first glimpsed in the Spider-Man Far From Home post-credits scene. But as Secret Invasion digs into Fury’s psyche, Jackson easily delivers his best MCU work ever. Ditto Smulders (whose last live-action MCU appearance was 2019’s Spider-Man Far From Home) and Cheadle (last but barely seen as Rhodey in Disney+’s The Falcon and the Winter Soldier).

Mendelsohn similarly gets to build on the little we learned about Talos and Skrull society in Captain Marvel, with his character dropping some bombs along the way that just might recontextualize your opinion of Fury.
Of those new to the MCU, Colman is clearly having the utmost fun, whether MI6’s Sonya is locking horns with Fury or boasting of her ability to force intel out of a Skrull. Clarke gets to play a variety of notes as G’iah juggles her loyalty to Gravik’s cause with her instinctive reaction to some devastating news on the home front, but two episodes in, the character is still a bit thin. Ben-Adir as Gravik is lightly featured and thus a bit hard to read in the very early goings, but the Episode 1 climax, followed by one of the aforementioned flashbacks, explosively kickstarts his villain’s journey.

If Episodes 3-6 are more like the second episode, and less like the first, this sum total of Secret Invasion could prove to deliver the uptick in quality recent MCU fare has needed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)

Secret Invasion Interview | Samuel L. Jackson and Cast | Marvel
TVLine   Jun 18, 2023

Secret Invasion Video: Cast Talks Fury’s Post-Blip Funk and Tension With Maria Hill and Talos, Plus ‘Sociopath’ Big Bad
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH    JUNE 18, 2023 
https://tvline.com/interviews/secret-invasion-cast-video-fury-maria-talos-tension-skrulls-1235002234/ 

Premiering this Wednesday with the first of six episodes, Secret Invasion is set in the “present day MCU,” where it is revealed that not only have Skrulls been living among us for years, but a rebel sect of the shapeshifting aliens have set in motion an uprising.

As such, Nick Fury — whose relationship with Talos and the Skrulls dates back to the mid-1990s (as seen in Captain Marvel) — is summoned back to Earth by longtime associate Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders), where he gets not the warmest of receptions.

Fury, as first glimpsed in Spider-Man: Far From Home, has been living off-world since returning from the Blip, overseeing the build of the S.A.B.E.R. space station. But he’s also been purposely laying low.

“He’s kinda out there hiding, doing whatever he can to not think about what happened before he came up to S.A.B.E.R., after he got blipped out,” MCU vet Samuel L. Jackson shares with TVLine in the cast video above. But now, there is “a really serious crisis going on that he finally has to face and deal with.”

Ben Mendelsohn, back as Talos, says that the bond between his friendly Skrull and Fury is “very strained” due to the latter peacing out for several years. “Man, you really know how to drop the ball, don’t you,” Mendelsohn says in character to Fury. “I mean, you’re all that, but wow. Wow….. You’re not looking so good right now, are ya?”
Making their MCU debuts and also appearing in the video above are Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), who details the dynamic between her character, G’iah, and her father Talos; Olivia Colman (The Crown), who describes MI6 agent Sonya as “a funny ol’ fish” who is also “cruel”; and Kingsley Ben-Adir (The OA), who plays rebel Skrull leader Gravik.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I was kind of indifferent to this until I watched some of the trailers recently and now I am kind of excited.  Marvel has come pretty close but hasn't had a really awesome show for awhile (I didn't like the twist ending of She Hulk and wish Ms. Marvel didn't even bother with a villain) so I am hoping this can be the one.

I have always liked Cobie Smulders and I hadn't I didn't realize that Everett Ross was in this one. Even though he is a completely different character than his comics character they made him really interesting. 

The big thing though is I hope we see Fury doing some dirty morally questionable shit. My favourite little thing in CA:WS is how he hired the mercenaries at the beginning knowing some of them would probably be killed. And then in the Black Widow movie we find out he ordered a building to be blown up to kill one guy. 

Marvel Studios’ Secret Invasion | Official Clip | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Jun 20, 2023

Kris Bowers - Nick Fury (Main Title Theme) (From "Secret Invasion"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   Jun 21, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Secret Invasion | Pastry or Prop | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Jul 3, 2023

Marvel Studios’ Secret Invasion | Official Clip | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Jul 3, 2023

6 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Eh-I know people who won’t watch a series until all episodes are dropped. And since this is only 6 episodes, it might pick up traffic in a few weeks.

That doesn't help Disney as they are trying to keep subscriptions active and  are looking at the trends. And everything Marvel, which the comparisons are being  made to  except the Netflix series along with the upcoming Echo were released week to week

(edited)

Spoilers for series...

All Told, Secret Invasion Hampers the MCU More Than It Helps It
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JULY 27, 2023 
https://tvline.com/features/secret-invasion-full-tv-series-review-mcu-problems-1235019929/ 

Secret Invasion, alas, never came to drumming up the sort of “Who can you trust?” paranoia that ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did with its Season 4 LMD arc. Instead, over the course of six episodes we learned that a total of two (2) familiar faces from the 15-year-old MCU had been swapped out with Skrulls — and one of the two (who was not even an Avenger) was revealed and then killed in the series’ opening minutes.
Secret Invasion killed off Maria Hill, in no grand hero moment but as the unwitting victim of deception. And, it could be argued, simply to motivate male hero Nick Fury.

Secret Invasion in only slightly more dramatic fashion killed off Ben Mendelsohn’s Talos, one of the most charming elements of the first Captain Marvel movie — and with that film’s sequel to hit theaters in a few months (though clearly he wasn’t going to be a part of it!).
So, with G’iah having survived that skirmish (and apparently still powered up, judging from her convo with Sonya), the MCU not in theory but in canon now has among its ranks a hero more powerful than any. An equal to Captain Marvel, with empath, telekinetic and other abilities thrown in.
“Secret Invasion,” as a live-action anything, probably should have been a movie or movie arc. Squeeze it in before RDJ, ScarJo and Chris Evans peaced out. Or, shelve it until the New/Young/Whatever Avengers take shape in the years to come, and then trot it out to arouse suspicions amongst these new heroes/friends.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

“Thinks”?!

So they basically are admitting that they don’t know what they’re doing?! That there isn’t a plan, that they’re just making up shit as they go along?!

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

And you wonder why so many people wound up hating this show.

• Mind Blown 1
On 7/29/2023 at 6:36 AM, Spartan Girl said:

“Thinks”?!

So they basically are admitting that they don’t know what they’re doing?! That there isn’t a plan, that they’re just making up shit as they go along?!

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

And you wonder why so many people wound up hating this show.

The show would have been improved by a running Deadpool commentary. 

• LOL 2

Secret Invasion director breaks down the finale and that big Skrull showdown
By Devan Coggan   July 28, 2023 
https://ew.com/tv/secret-invasion-finale-ali-selim/ 

The finale ends with President Ritson essentially declaring war on all Skrulls, and there's that montage of paranoia and fear, as people turn into vigilantes and start killing each other. Tell me a little bit about why you wanted to end the show on that note of paranoia.
Well, I think that Ritson could say, "The Skrulls are welcome here," which is a great message, but not great drama. Nick Fury has to have some opposition as we leave the series. Even though he's come to terms with it, I don't know that it's realistic to think that everybody has come to terms with it. I think it's important to show that a sense of other can create a sense of conflict. The choice was: Do we want a Pollyanna ending, or do we want an ending with some real guts to it? The idea is that this battle could go on. But Sonya and G'iah reconcile at the end, and maybe they're going to fix it. Maybe these two strong, beautiful women are going to come in and fix it.

‘Secret Invasion’ Director Ali Selim on G’iah’s Power-Up and How the Series Impacts Tony Stark’s Death
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   JULY 28, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/secret-invasion-how-don-cheadle-reacted-1235547155/ 

So, I have to imagine that Don Cheadle asked, “Hey, how long has Rhodey been held captive?” What was he told as far as how long Rhodey had been a Skrull? 
No, he never asked me that. He’s a great collaborator. He was a detailed, logical guy who would not say, “How long have I been … ?” But he would say, “Let me tell you why I could’ve been, and let me tell you why I couldn’t have been,” which is an interesting way to get at his character. So I would say this to anybody, but go back and visit all of the Rhodey scenes in the MCU and see how you unpack it now that you have a slightly different perspective on Rhodey or Skrull. But I don’t know that there’s a definitive answer. I think it’s still open to interpretation.

I know your job is to execute the story you’re given, but it’s painful to think that the real Rhodey wasn’t present for Tony Stark’s death and funeral considering their friendship.
I’m worried that I will get death threats because of that, and also because I’m the guy who took out Maria Hill. So I’m actually going into hiding now.
I can live without end-credit scenes, but I know that some people were surprised about the lack of one given that they’re a staple of MCU storytelling. Was there ever an end-credit scene?
None that I was privy to. There may have been discussions in the upper offices where I wasn’t involved, but I don’t know. I think that they use those end-credit sequences to launch something or to resolve something, and maybe this story feels like it resolves itself. So I don’t know what they’re launching other than Nick Fury went up in the spaceship to get ready for The Marvels.

Edited by tv echo
9 minutes ago, tv echo said:

‘Secret Invasion’ Director Ali Selim on G’iah’s Power-Up and How the Series Impacts Tony Stark’s Death
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   JULY 28, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/secret-invasion-how-don-cheadle-reacted-1235547155/ 

I don't understand this interview. He doesn't give a proper answer to any of the important questions..

He says the Rhodey/Skrull timeline is "open to interpretation" and that Don never asked "How long Rhodey was supposed to be a Skrull?" or other questions like that and just went along with it. So basically no one knows when he was switched. If Don didn't ask these questions shouldn't the director or maybe the writers have asked this instead? Everyone knows how hardcore the MCU fans are on picking up even the smallest details. Were they expecting to just say "we don't know" and hope everyone accepts it? I don't think they even anticipated this question would arise.

He deflected the Gi'ah question as something to ask Kevin Fiege about.

He admits that he "killed" Maria Hill but then says that Hill & Talos might show up in future MCU projects!?

So basically its the next director/writer/person's responsibility, whoever works on the next Marvel project to tie up all the loose ends this show has created coz it doesn't seem like they are going to take any accountability...

• Mind Blown 1
On 8/2/2023 at 10:15 AM, tired and hungry said:

I don't understand this interview. He doesn't give a proper answer to any of the important questions..

He says the Rhodey/Skrull timeline is "open to interpretation" and that Don never asked "How long Rhodey was supposed to be a Skrull?" or other questions like that and just went along with it. So basically no one knows when he was switched. If Don didn't ask these questions shouldn't the director or maybe the writers have asked this instead? Everyone knows how hardcore the MCU fans are on picking up even the smallest details. Were they expecting to just say "we don't know" and hope everyone accepts it? I don't think they even anticipated this question would arise.

He deflected the Gi'ah question as something to ask Kevin Fiege about.

He admits that he "killed" Maria Hill but then says that Hill & Talos might show up in future MCU projects!?

So basically its the next director/writer/person's responsibility, whoever works on the next Marvel project to tie up all the loose ends this show has created coz it doesn't seem like they are going to take any accountability...

And you wonder why I can barely stand the MCU anymore.

Secret Invasion Director Was Given 1 Rhodey Requirement To Set Up Armor Wars
BY CAITLIN TYRRELL   JUL 28, 2023
https://screenrant.com/secret-invasion-rhodey-armor-wars-setup/ 

In an exclusive interview with Selim, Screen Rant spoke with the director about the Secret Invasion finale. He revealed that Marvel gave him certain directives to set up the future, including where Nick Fury needs to be. He also explained what he needed to do to set up Rhodey's future in Armor Wars. Check out Selim's full quote and interview below:

Ali Salim: I was given some requirements for the next movie. You have to put Nick Fury up in space. For the next beat, you have to make sure that Rhodey's legs don't work for Armor Wars.

Edited by tv echo

Everything New You Can Stream on Disney+ in September 2023
By Emily Hewitt    AUGUST 16, 2023
https://d23.com/everything-new-you-can-stream-on-disney-in-september-2023/ 

Two other films that document the making of epic Marvel films and shows include Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which will premiere on September 13 and Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Secret Invasion, which will premiere on September 20.
Wednesday, September 20
The Ghost and Molly McGee (Season 2, 4 Episodes)
PJ Masks: Power Heroes (Season 1, 5 Episodes)
Star Wars: Ahsoka (Episode 6)
Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Secret Invasion (Premiere)

Edited by tv echo

Behind-the-scenes info on Secret Invasion was included in this article...

‘Daredevil’ Hits Reset Button as Marvel Overhauls Its TV Business
BY BORYS KIT   OCTOBER 11, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-marvel-disney-1235614518/ 

As its shows ramped up during the pandemic, Marvel stepped outside its usual staffing approach and brought in outside execs after years of internally promoting creatives who had been sufficiently trained in the Marvel method. 

This change was felt most severely on Secret Invasion, the Samuel L. Jackson-led thriller that stands as Marvel’s worst-reviewed series. Kyle Bradstreet, a writer and executive producer on USA Network Emmy winner Mr. Robot, had been working on the scripts for Secret Invasion for about a year when he was fired after Marvel decided on a different direction. Enter new writer Brian Tucker, who penned the crime thriller Broken City. Thomas Bezucha, who helmed the thriller Let Him Go, and Ali Selim, who worked on Hulu’s 9/11 drama The Looming Tower, were on board as directors and to help crack the story.

So far, so normal, at least by Marvel’s creative development standards. Details are murky, but what happened next, in the summer of 2022, debilitated the production as factions became entrenched and leaders vied for supremacy during Secret Invasion’s preproduction in London. “It was weeks of people not getting along, and it erupted,” says an insider. Marvel declined to directly comment on the matter.

The company dispatched Jonathan Schwartz, a senior executive and member of Marvel’s creative steering committee known as The Parliament, to get Secret Invasion back on track when it was falling behind schedule and on the verge of losing some actors because of other commitments. 

By early September, a good portion of the Invasion team had been replaced, with new line producers, unit production managers and assistant directors. And Bezucha, who was supposed to direct three episodes, left the show because of new scheduling conflicts. The Marvel executive overseeing the show, Chris Gary, was reassigned and, according to sources, is expected to depart Marvel when his contract is up at the end of the year.

Edited by tv echo

2023 in Review: The 10 Worst Shows
BY TEAM TVLINE   DECEMBER 5, 2023
https://tvline.com/lists/worst-tv-shows-2023-list/ 

3  Secret Invasion (Disney+)
We’re already on record detailing exactly why and how this Marvel series made us super-mad. (R.I.P., [_______] and [_______], to cite but two big reasons.) But what’s even more frustrating about what Secret Invasion did to, and with, certain characters is the fact that, upon seeing The Marvels ignore it all (!), we realize that this six-episode series was five hours of our life wasted. You are literally the better for not having bothered with it.

5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

2023 in Review: The Year’s Biggest Plot Twists, Ranked From ‘Wow’ to ‘WTF?!’
BY TEAM TVLINE   DECEMBER 8, 2023
https://tvline.com/lists/plot-twists-2023-tv-shocking-moments-succession-you-riverdale/marvels-secret-invasion-disney/ 

Folks had been speculating that since Maria Hill called him "Nick" and not Fury in Infinity War. Or more specifically after  Captain Marvel with everyone calls him Fury line

2023 in Review: 16 Dumb Things TV Did This Year
BY CLAIRE FRANKEN, DAVE NEMETZ, REBECCA IANNUCCI, ANDY SWIFT, RYAN SCHWARTZ, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KIMBERLY ROOTS, MICHAEL AUSIELLO   DECEMBER 26, 2023
https://tvline.com/lists/worst-tv-decisions-2023/rupauls-drag-race-xl-episodes/ 

14  Secret Invasion Uses A.I. for Opening Credits
Really? No one thought twice about trumpeting the fact that the Marvel series’ opening credits were created using A.I. — the very technology squarely in the crosshairs of both the WGA strike and then-looming SAG-AFTRA strike? —M.W.M.