Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: It's Only Magic

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

I feel like such a doofus; it's taken me this long to realize Ubbe and company were going to end up in America.

Love that Alfred still has his chess piece, and that we saw those old shots of him playing with Ivar. Hirst has clearly been planning this particular story arc for a long time: Ragnar's son versus Athelstan's son, each with their own disabilities and nay-sayers.

I don't know why but I hope Ingrid makes it out alive. She probably won't though.

• Love 2

Curious about the filming of all the America scenes.  They did a good job at making all of them look different from the normal scenery on this show, but I would be surprised if they actually went to the U.S. to film any it.  Or perhaps it was shot in Canada, since this show is technically a co-production with Canada, I believe.

Erik figures out Ingrid was who blinded him, and is plotting his retaliation.  But banking on a slave doing it for him in order to be "freed" strikes me as a desperate attempt, and one that can easily go south in so many ways.

Alfred shows that he can give a good rousing to the troops.  Now, if there only wasn't the whole pesky ordeal about his body giving out on him at the worst possible times...

The Seer certainly seems to be hinting that Ivar might not like his eventual fate since Ivar might try to avoid it if he ever found out, but if anyone could rewrite his fate, it would be Ivar

• Love 1

Curious about the filming of all the America scenes.  They did a good job at making all of them look different from the normal scenery on this show, but I would be surprised if they actually went to the U.S. to film any it.  Or perhaps it was shot in Canada, since this show is technically a co-production with Canada, I believe.

There's is no evidence that Vikings ever entered what is now America, as in the US. So no "America scenes" and no reason to film in the US for authenticity, since they were never there.

They arrived in what is now Canada, specifically Newfoundland. You can actually go to the only known Viking settlement in North America there, at L'Anse aux Meadows. It's quite well known. It's thought they didn't survive their settlement because they refused to learn from the native people. They were smart and skilled, were great hunters and fighters, and their women were strong too. There's no reason they couldn't have made a go of it, yet they didn't.

Viking Erik the Red found a place he called Vinland, which is thought to be Newfoundland. I thought the Erik in the show was going to be him. But I enjoy the way this show has chosen to tell their story. 

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 1

I was disappointed that the native people were depicted with faces fully covered with white paint; was that to disguise "Caucasian" features because they didn't get any First Nations actors?

Loved Ubbe's almost balletic movement as he shifted his body to shield his wife and child from expected attack at the end.

Only two episodes left; how can they end this up without everyone dying?

Trying to link this timeline to The Last Kingdom: is this where Alfred goes into the swamp and burns the cakes?