Type keyword(s) to search

Zoey’s Extraordinary Spoilers

• Start Topic

'First look' at TV Line: https://tvline.com/2020/12/09/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-season-2-spoilers-max-simon-song-photo/

Following the death of her beloved father in the Season 1 ender, “Zoey has hid herself from the world for six weeks,” showrunner Austin Winsberg tells TVLine. “On her first day out amongst the living again, she discovers that Max, Simon and Mo (Alex Newell) have all actually become friends in her absence.”

That revelation “alone is a lot for her to handle,” Winsberg previews. “But things get even more intense when she hears both Max and Simon singing ‘Are You Gonna Be My Girl,’ and she realizes that their whole complicated love triangle is still very much alive.”

zoeys-playlist-season-2.jpg

---------

I think love triangles work better (or at least are more interesting) when all three corners have a connection to each other; so this works for me. On the other hand, it's going to make it harder for me to root for one over the other!

And from EW: https://ew.com/tv/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-season-2-first-look-photos

"Season 2 picks up six weeks after the finale from last season," showrunner Austin Winsberg tells EW. "Zoey is still dealing with the aftermath of her father’s death. But she is not in the immediate throes of grief. It felt like we needed some amount of distance to get back into the story."

Winsberg adds that the new season is going to ask questions like, "How do we all move on after tragedy? What does it take to recover after such a big loss? How do we regain our equilibrium and create a 'new normal?' When we started breaking this season, I had no idea just how timely and resonant some of these themes and ideas would be."

NUP_191839_0303.jpg

NUP_191819_0409.jpg

More casting news: https://www.tvinsider.com/976664/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-cast-max-dad-chip-zien/

Season 2 will explore's Max's life, especially his relationship with his father, who will be played by Broadway vet Chip Zien.

"Chip is a a huge Broadway star from the original Into The Woods and Falsettos, which is one of my favorite musicals," says executive producer Austin Winsberg. "That was a really exciting one for me."

Zien plays a loving father who, however, is disappointed that his son has not joined the family dental practice (and who makes sure Max knows this). So when Max, who no longer works at tech company SPRQ Point with Zoey, shares his new business venture with this father, his father throws cold water on the idea, creating some serious friction. Given Zien's Broadway roots and Astin's stellar pipes, let's hope the Richman men work out their problems via song!

Some new cast interviews on FabTV where there are a few little things about season 2 dropped. Someone sings Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing. Also, Mary reveals how Mitch returns...he left messages for Maggie, Zoey and David before he lost his abilities, and Maggie is a little hesitant to watch/read them. And Zoey tries some different ways to process her grief...like through sex, alcohol. Probably more I am forgetting so go check it out.

Edited by brokenwing29
  • Love 1

Very general season premiere synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY RETURN"

01/05/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) : SEASON 2 PREMIERE:

Zoey returns to the world after an extended time away and discovers that a lot has changed at work and in her personal life in her absence. Harvey Guillén guest stars.

TV-14

'The Real-Life Topic Season 2 Will Tackle, and One It Won't':

“I feel like our show is a musical, and I feel like our show has a spirit of hope and positivity and wish fulfillment in it,” Winsberg explains to TVLine. “And just from minute one, when I started thinking about Season 2, it just didn’t appeal to me to have COVID be a part of this world.”

“I felt, also, like I didn’t want to see a bunch of dance numbers with people with masks on,” Winsberg adds with a laugh.

Plus, given the series’ sometimes weighty and emotional storylines — the upcoming episodes will explore the subject of grief following the death of Zoey’s beloved father — “there are enough challenges and enough complications that, perhaps, we could use some of the feelings that have been happening during the quarantine, and some of the ways people have been trying to carry on and deal with loss, to still talk about a lot of the issues that have come up during this last year, without having to remind people that they’re watching a pandemic show,” Winsberg continues. “I just felt like the show has brought us an opportunity to be a form of escapism. I didn’t want to get stuck in the literalness of what we’re all going through right now.”

That said, Zoey’s will tackle another real-world issue in Episode 6, which deals with systemic racism in Silicon Valley and at Zoey’s workplace, Sprq Point, “in a really, hopefully, deep way,” Winsberg previews. “We brought in a guest choreographer to work with [series choreographer] Mandy [Moore] on the episode, and I’m particularly proud of the musical numbers we do in that episode.”

Season 2, episode 2 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY DISTRACTION"

01/12/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Zoey's attempts to spend private time with Max are continually thwarted by both Mo and work problems. The Clarke family gets a new guest when Emily's sister, Jenna (guest star Jee Young Han), comes to "help" with the baby.

TV-14

-----

And from TVLine:

The NBC series is back in fine form with its moving Season 2 premiere (airing Tuesday, Jan. 5), which features a cleverly staged family musical number about carrying on in grief, an unexpected new partnership and, yes, a major development in the Zoey/Max/Simon love triangle.

Bonus teaser for the new season: We have not heard the last of Zoey’s singing — but it won’t happen in the same way that it did last season.

Edited by Trini

2.03 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY DREAMS"

01/19/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Zoey is haunted by bad dreams that start to affect her personal life. Jenna helps Maggie find her creative spark again.

TV-14

• Love 1

Matt's Inside Line:

In discussing standout musical numbers, showrunner Austin Winsberg boasts that tonight’s episode features “an entire act that we basically rehearsed like a one-act play between Max and Zoey that has multiple musical numbers in it, which felt big and surprising and different for us. So I’m particularly proud of Act V of Episode 2 for doing that and being bold in that way.”

Then in next Tuesday’s installment, “Zoey has three musical numbers, which are all connected to the same thing,” Winsberg previews. “We kind of do a different type of dance there, and the way we visually shot that is different than what we’ve done before.”

I was very excited to see that Broadway vet Chip Zien will be Max’s dad on Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. Any scoop on his appearance? — Katie H.

“Zoey had such a positive relationship with her father that I thought it would be interesting to explore a father dynamic that was way more fraught and complicated,” showrunner Austin Winsberg tells TVLine. “Max is somebody who doesn’t have the best relationship with his dad and is kind of constantly desiring his dad’s approval, and his dad is a little withholding and isn’t as warm… [Max] wants something from his dad that his dad might not be able to give him, and that’s a little heartbreaking for him.”

2.04 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY EMPLOYEE"

01/26/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Zoey tries to "choose happiness" but finds it is easier said than done. David re-evaluates his priorities. Mo and Max face their first real challenge as business partners. TV-14

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

2.04 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY EMPLOYEE"

01/26/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Zoey tries to "choose happiness" but finds it is easier said than done. David re-evaluates his priorities. Mo and Max face their first real challenge as business partners. TV-14

I hope they handle the "choose happiness" thing well. 

Not sure how much this counts as a spoiler, but a clip was shown on TV from the Dreams episode where Zoey falls asleep at work and dreams she is in an empty room singing No Where To Run.

2.05 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY TRIP"

02/02/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Zoey decides to explore her rebellious side with her neighbor from growing up, Aiden (guest star Felix Mallard). Max's dad (guest star Chip Zien) comes to visit. TV-14

So ... all of Zoey's friends are men? With Joan leaving I was hoping they'd bring in another female character for her to interact with. So far, it doesn't look like Jenna or the new programmers are going to be it.

2.06 synopsis; where they'll be addressing racism:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY RECKONING"

02/09/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Simon wrestles with his future at SPRQ Point after calling out racial bias at the company. Mo and Max pitch a new investor for their business venture. TV-14

Also the last episode before the mid-season hiatus.

42 minutes ago, Trini said:

2.06 synopsis; where they'll be addressing racism:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY RECKONING"

02/09/2021 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Tuesday) :

Simon wrestles with his future at SPRQ Point after calling out racial bias at the company. Mo and Max pitch a new investor for their business venture. TV-14

I hope they handle better than they’ve handled sexism at SPRQ Point. 

Kind of surprised that they are trying to portray SPRQ Point as racist. We haven't seen that many people working there but the 6th floor leader (Joan's counterpart) is African American, Tobin is south asian etc. Developers are predominantly male overall so having Zoey as the only female out of a half dozen or so wasn't that surprising, but yet they've now got 3 other women she grabbed from the 5th floor. Beyond that, I don't know what the bay area demographics are but SPRQ Point doesn't seem that far off what we might expect. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, D Angel said:

Kind of surprised that they are trying to portray SPRQ Point as racist. We haven't seen that many people working there but the 6th floor leader (Joan's counterpart) is African American, Tobin is south asian etc. Developers are predominantly male overall so having Zoey as the only female out of a half dozen or so wasn't that surprising, but yet they've now got 3 other women she grabbed from the 5th floor. Beyond that, I don't know what the bay area demographics are but SPRQ Point doesn't seem that far off what we might expect. 

You can’t just go by the numbers. I doubt the show would go there but Zoey being made floor manager after only a few months as a manager should cause some grumbling. 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:44 PM, Trini said:

2.05 synopsis:

So ... all of Zoey's friends are men? With Joan leaving I was hoping they'd bring in another female character for her to interact with. So far, it doesn't look like Jenna or the new programmers are going to be it.

from how the last episode ended and from what will happen in the fifth if Zoey starts a relationship with Aiden?? I will be really disappointed !!!  you can't end the third with Zoey saying she's not ready for a relationship and then start her with another one ... which would mean that the problem was really Max !!!

Edited by ciubecca98

I just read an article with supposed spoilers (not) on S2 E6 regarding Simon's public stance and that he and Zoey have a difficult conversation about racial issues. No shock or spoiler in that but if two people don't really need to have that conversation it's Simon and Zoey. If he's upset that she cut him off, perhaps he should not jump to conclusions that she was blowing him off but may have had other reasons for ending the phone call abruptly. He should feel the same sense of fairness when Zoey tells him she just took drugs with her next door neighbor on her day off and DMD was on his way to see her, so Simon's issue wasn't her primary concern at the moment.

SPRQ Point may have some issues at the corporate level, but that's not Zoey's fault. She's certainly faced more obstacles than most at SPQR Point. 

• Love 1
(edited)

2.06 and 2.07 synopses:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY MEMORY"

03/28/2021 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Sunday) :

Zoey's effort to recreate a cherished memory with Mitch is thwarted by Leif. Max and Mo have their big restaurant opening. TV-14

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY BIRTHDAY"

04/04/2021 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Sunday) :

It's Zoey's 30th birthday, but before she can celebrate properly she must confront her unresolved feelings for the men in her life. TV-14

Edited by Trini

So they ended the love triangle to start a quadrangle?

EW can exclusively reveal that Katie Findlay has been cast in the second half of the season as Rose, a new love interest for Max (Skylar Astin). Rose will debut in the midseason premiere on March 28.

"Rose is a girl that Max went to camp with when they were young," creator Austin Winsberg tells EW. "He had a big crush on her at camp and she was kind of like his first big crush, but nothing ever really happened between them then. Now she lives in New York but is in San Francisco for a few months — she's an art curator working in SF MoMA on a new art installation. She's been keeping tabs on him on Instagram so she comes to the opening of Maximo's, the restaurant, and they reconnect."

Winsberg describes Rose as "smart, sophisticated, sharp, and witty," and add to that the fact that she's got "history" with Max, and you've got the perfect combination for someone to cure his "pause"/breakup blues as "they will explore old feelings for each other." Sorry, Zoey (Jane Levy)!

"Max's family lives on the East Coast, she's from the East Coast, and she comes in with a lot of confidence and a lot of security in herself," he says. "There's other stuff we'll learn about her later on this season but she's definitely a new wrinkle to the whole thing and it causes some concern for Zoey. This all triggers her as a new complication to the love dynamic between Max, Simon [John Clarence Stewart], and Zoey. Rose is the new piece of that."

And because this is a musical show, Winsberg promises that Findlay will blow fans away when it comes to her performances. "She has some really great song and dance numbers," he teases. "Katie kills it, she's really good."

https://ew.com/tv/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-katie-findlay-max-new-love-interest/

Still so annoyed that tptb put Zoey and Max together only to break them up after two episodes. What was the reason if they were just going to bring on another girl for Max and entertain Zoey/Simon? It's like the writers want to have their cake and eat it too by covering all of their bases, and as much as I do adore Zoey/Max together, it would've been better if the writers passed until they were ready to actually commit to the pairing. 

• Love 4
On 3/18/2021 at 7:45 PM, Trini said:

"Rose is a girl that Max went to camp with when they were young," creator Austin Winsberg tells EW. "He had a big crush on her at camp and she was kind of like his first big crush, but nothing ever really happened between them then. Now she lives in New York but is in San Francisco for a few months —

OMG, it's Rebecca Bunch (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) in reverse.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

2.09 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY MYSTERY"

04/11/2021 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Sunday) :

After going to see a medium, Zoey's powers mysteriously start glitching again. TV-14

Another glitch? Will she be singing uncontrollably again, or something else? I assume the medium is Mo's idea.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

From TVLine:

Zoey’s powers are gonna glitch again! And this time, in the April 11 episode, “It is a surprising, unconventional thing that happens with her powers that’s different than what happened last season,” showrunner Austin Winsberg teases. Speaking of Zoey’s abilities, “I think that later on in the season, we’re going to do a deeper dive into what’s going on with her and the powers,” Winsberg says. “There also might be a moment in time where she enters into therapy to really start talking about this stuff in a real way.”

• Love 1

So after fast tracking Zoey/Max only to break them up immediately, friendzoning Simon, and ignoring romantic entanglements (after it was a main theme last season), apparently the next episode is going to have ... a love hexagon??

So weird. Obviously, not everyone's feelings will be mutual, BUT STILL.

2.10 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY GIRLS' NIGHT"

04/18/2021 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Sunday) :

Zoey gets more than she bargained for when she tries to help Emily with a problem. Maggie reconnects with an old friend. Max, Simon and Mo have a bonding night together. TV-14

-----

Oh, Now we'll see Max and Simon bonding? I've been wanting to see this friendship they keep talking about this whole season! 'Yay!' to Zoey having a subplot with Emily.

4 hours ago, Trini said:

2.10 synopsis:

-----

Oh, Now we'll see Max and Simon bonding? I've been wanting to see this friendship they keep talking about this whole season! 'Yay!' to Zoey having a subplot with Emily.

I just don't understand where they want to go ..... Zoey told him that she is still interested in Simon and therefore also one of the causes of their breakup and he spends an evening together?  mah !!!!!  no comment

(edited)
28 minutes ago, ciubecca98 said:

I just don't understand where they want to go ..... Zoey told him that she is still interested in Simon and therefore also one of the causes of their breakup and he spends an evening together?  mah !!!!!  no comment

Seriously. I mean I think it's nice that Max and Simon aren't mortal enemies fighting over Zoey, nor do they need to be, but they also don't need to be dude bros bonding, either. What, are they going to both high-five that they've slept with Zoey and then compare notes? (I'm assuming that by this point Zoey and Simon will have gone there) 

I like both characters just fine. But it's unrealistic to me that they'd be bonding and choosing to hang out. It would've been far more plausible had Zoey actually stuck to her choice at the beginning of the season, allowing the other one to move on from her fully and completely and they could all be friends without the unspoken weirdness.

In much more interesting news: it seems like this is the Bernadette Peters episode, so I will be very very happy to see her character back again! 

Edited by funnygirl
3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Seriously. I mean I think it's nice that Max and Simon aren't mortal enemies fighting over Zoey, nor do they need to be, but they also don't need to be dude bros bonding, either. What, are they going to both high-five that they've slept with Zoey and then compare notes? (I'm assuming that by this point Zoey and Simon will have gone there) 

I like both characters just fine. But it's unrealistic to me that they'd be bonding and choosing to hang out. It would've been far more plausible had Zoey actually stuck to her choice at the beginning of the season, allowing the other one to move on from her fully and completely and they could all be friends without the unspoken weirdness.

In much more interesting news: it seems like this is the Bernadette Peters episode, so I will be very very happy to see her character back again! 

I'm seeing very little realistic this season .... it's unrealistic that Max will spend an entire evening with those who are part of his breakup from the girl he loves, just as it's unrealistic that Zoey shortly after asking him for a break had started flirting  with the neighbor and then start again with Simon ... and then get pissed because he saw the song of the heart between Rose / Max and that it had to be Mo to make him understand that she too has his faults and if it had not been for him Zoey would not have  dealt with it with Max !!!

I wonder what the glitch is in the next episode -- the showrunner said it's different than last time. Is it other people singing Zoey's heart songs? Songs that are not heart songs?

Glitch explained here, and a few teases for the rest of the season: https://www.eonline.com/news/1257412/jane-levy-and-the-cast-of-zoey-s-extraordinary-playlist-share-their-favorite-musical-numbers

Mary Steenburgen ...

... I love a dance in the second season finale (can't say what it is) because it was difficult but SO much fun and John Clarence Stewart and Skylar Astin and I had a moment where our eyes would always meet and we would almost burst into laughter with the joy of doing that dance." 

--

Jane Levy ...

Hardest song to get through: "In the [season two] finale, there's a number that I've never cried so hard in between takes, that we had to take a break." 

Favorite song you got to sing: "That's a secret!" 

Favorite song behind-the-scenes: "'I've Got the Music in Me,' 'Crazy,' 'Black Man in a White World.' One of the numbers from the season two finale that I can't tell you about. Actually, I think the end of the season this year has some really great stuff to look forward to." 

On 4/11/2021 at 7:18 AM, ciubecca98 said:

the penultimate episode is entitled:
Double Date

which makes me assume that we will see Max / Rose and Simon / Zoey, also from the words that Austin said in which he said that we will still see Simon and Max together but in a different way from the tenth episode .... and for me that I am  team Max 100% do not like this at all !!!!  But then who knows we'll see the real reactions to seeing Max and Zoey with other people

and who knows maybe and after the exit at 4 that he realizes he needs ....

Edited by ciubecca98

2.11 synopsis:

"ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY DOUBLE DATE" -

05/02/2021 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Sunday) :

Zoey attempts to throw all her energy into her relationship, but things get complicated when a double date doesn't go as planned. TV-14

----

Heh -- do double dates ever go as planned? Especially when powers are involved? Sounds fun.

8 minutes ago, Trini said:

2.11 synopsis:

----

Heh -- do double dates ever go as planned? Especially when powers are involved? Sounds fun.

Zoey attempts to throw all her energy into her relationship.

here's to me this sentence I do not like because I have never seen him do this with Max indeed !!!!

On 4/13/2021 at 7:50 AM, Trini said:

2.11 synopsis:

----

Double dates go as planned when you don't have feelings for both men at said double date. 

Edited by funnygirl
21 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

We don't know the double date is with Max; it could be Mo. Or David and his wife.

I wrote that he will be with Max because I read that Austin said that Max / Simon will also see each other in episode 11 but in a different way than in the tenth, and also briefly in the last episode ... so for me it will be the four of them  , also because it would be more logical that they want us to see the various reactions of the triangle (Rose in theory only in passing)

39 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

We don't know the double date is with Max; it could be Mo. Or David and his wife.

Tobin and MacKensie? Probably not, but it's a possible option.

Spoiler

is (finally) seeking professional help: The Office vet Oscar Nunez will appear in multiple episodes of the NBC musical dramedy as Zoey’s therapist Dr. Tesoro, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Nunez’s character is described as a warm yet slightly sarcastic man who will help Zoey navigate her grief, powers and relationships. And for once, Zoey is able to tell someone about her special abilities without any consequences.

“She’s going to realize that perhaps she needs more help than she realized, and that’s going to send her into therapy,” showrunner Austin Winsberg tells TVLine, adding that Dr. Tesoro “triggers a major storyline” that is the central focus of an entire episode.

Edited by ciubecca98

From TV Line; another Simon subplot coming up:

Simon’s quest to better things at his workplace is far from over, following the systemic racism episode from earlier this season. “He’s trying to figure out and redefine his place at SPRQPoint, and also trying to figure out how he can be one of the instruments, if not the instrument, of change,” showrunner Austin Winsberg tells TVLine. “He is now being elevated at SPRQPoint and realizes that there’s an opportunity there to fundamentally change the culture there, and he gets put on a diversity committee to help try to find a new board member. There are other diverse initiatives that he becomes a part of at SPRQPoint, and then there’s a big change that happens in Episode 13 regarding that, too.”

Season finale cliffhanger??

Jane Levy comments here: https://www.tvguide.com/news/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-jane-levy-glitch-episode-change-zoey/, She teases a bit about the next episode:

(emphasis mine)

"I don't think Zoey is prepared to take on someone suffering from postpartum depression," Levy said to TV Guide about the reveal. "She has no experience with that. She's never had a child. She's never gone through postpartum depression. I don't think she's ever known anyone who has, and so I don't think she's prepared and moving forward, I think that this episode -- not the actual term of like, episodic television, but like those episodes that Emily is going through -- will teach Zoey that there are some things that she can't solve on her own, including stuff regarding herself. She needs more outside help, which in turn, turns into her going to therapy." 

Zoey will enlist her brother's help with Emily, but Sunday's hour revealed that Zoey has been relying too heavily on her powers to understand what's going on with the people around her. 

"Before Zoey had the superpower she wasn't necessarily the most connected person. She's socially awkward. She's not interested in like the melody in life and art. She's more math, get the job done, be a good coder, be a good boss, go home and hang out with your dad kind of girl," Levy elaborated. "The powers have taught her a lot about connection and empathy. Moving forward, she can't just rely on the song, she has to bring that into her everyday life." 

"To hear that song coming out of that beautiful child is just enough to make anybody melt. And then to know that that's how your boyfriend feels about you? I mean, pretty swoonworthy," Levy said, before adding, "I think that if she doesn't share [the secret], there's always going to be a huge part of her that he doesn't know. He doesn't know what that is, but he's definitely going to pick up on the fact that she's keeping something from him. That's never good ground for any relationship." 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Jane Levy comments here: https://www.tvguide.com/news/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-jane-levy-glitch-episode-change-zoey/, She teases a bit about the next episode:

(emphasis mine)

If you are already talking about the therapist in the next one, then who knows maybe the double date of the eleventh episode is what they meant by saying that the therapist would have given birth to an important plot that would have taken up the entire episode.

Alice Lee spilled that there will be a flashback episode:

But there's more than just sadness ahead for Emily and the rest of the Clarke family, and Lee found herself really enjoying an upcoming flashback episode that shows where everyone was about five years ago. "You get to see Emily and David not meet but re-meet, which is cute," she says. "You see their backstory, which I think is really adorable." ...

https://ew.com/tv/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-alice-lee-emily-postpartum-depression/

I'm guessing the episode isn't all flashbacks, because it would be hard to incorporate heart songs.

1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

I thought Zachary Levi was going to be on this season playing Max's older brother.  Was that just a Twitter tease or could he be in the flashback episode?

I haven't heard anything about that.