Type keyword(s) to search

S2.E01: New Beginnings

Bali
  • Start Topic

Jack askes Mel for help when Charmaine experiences a complication with her pregnancy. Hope insists that Doc keep their relationship a secret.

As I'm creating episode topics, I will do my best to not automatically type Charmaine UGH or Annoying Hope. I do not make that promise for replies.

• LOL 4

Mel at her husband's grave was heartbreaking. 

I can kind of understand why Hope wants to hide her relationship with Doc. She was so stubborn and mean about not forgiving him that it's almost embarrassing. She has to be embarrassed. But encouraging Doc to use Muriel is just rude!

Golly the scenery is pretty.

So, Christopher cut his hand. That's it? Talk about much ado about nothing. 

Charmaine UGH. Troubled pregnancy. Don't care. Trying to care and just can't find it in myself to care.

• Love 3

Sheesh, this episode should have been called Annoying Annies. I honestly don't remember Charmaine being this exasperating and downright juvenile. All the sniping about and at Mel was exhausting, but at least she has the excuse of hormones and difficult pregnancy. 

Hope on the other hand has no excuses left. She's playing some idiotic game about her relationship with Doc, going so far as to offer him up to Muriel, she's still a pain in the ass about Charmaine who never did anything to her and she can shove her woe is me where the sun don't shine when it comes to Jack. You brought it on yourself, you hag. She's got to be a wild cat in bed, right? Because I can't figure out why Doc doesn't call up Muriel for real and give it a go. He's too good for Hope, especially as depicted in this episode, and Muriel seems like a fun, straightforward broad. 

And then, finally, there's Brady angling for a management position. First, wait until I finish laughing. Second, dude, that position is already filled. Jack does it. It's one bar, not like Jack runs multiple chapters of a business. Just fall off one of those scenic cliffs and put me out of my misery, Brady. 

I felt Paige's description of her marriage was very realistic. It's just too bad that I'm not feeling anything from Preacher. He is very nice to look at, but doesn't really emote. 

The final appearance was well telegraphed by various wide shots throughout the episode. 

Kudos for the songs. Inpressive that they got the rights to Elton John. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

All the sniping about and at Mel was exhausting, but at least she has the excuse of hormones and difficult pregnancy. 

Hormones and a difficult pregnancy are no excuse for being rude. Mel is trying to help Charmaine in a professional capacity and all Charmaine can do is whine? UGH.

So many characters are awful this season. 

• Love 5
On 12/5/2020 at 6:23 AM, SQ8188 said:

Director needs make Hope lose those ugly glasses, and dress her better. Also Mel looks great in tight jeans, but every episode ? For once I want to see Mel in a skirt.

She was wearing a denim skirt when she came in for a consult with Jack and Charmaine in this episode. I only noticed it because it bunched up in the front, giving her the appearance of having a little tummy, which I'm sure she doesn't have. 

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Mel is trying to help Charmaine in a professional capacity and all Charmaine can do is whine? UGH.

Well, she doesn't just whine. She also makes unreasonable demands and asks nosy questions.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Enginerd said:

Well, she doesn't just whine. She also makes unreasonable demands and asks nosy questions.

Agreed.  I’ve been waiting for someone to put her in her place.  She is Jack’s ex-“girlfriend” (self-proclaimed), thus she has no right to information on Jack’s and certainly not Mel’s personal lives.  When she asks her nosy questions I’ve been waiting for Jack and/or Mel to tell her it’s none of her darned business.

• Love 3

I don't remember everyone being so annoying, except Hope. I remember Hope being really annoying - but I definitely don't fault her glasses.
I could have sworn this show was filmed in Fort Langley, but no.

On 1/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, mledawn said:

I don't remember everyone being so annoying, except Hope. I remember Hope being really annoying - but I definitely don't fault her glasses.
I could have sworn this show was filmed in Fort Langley, but no.

Amazing that at least some scenes aren't, considering how many shows are filmed, at least partly, there. I always love seeing what locations series filmed in B.C. have used. Some are obvious, like the Capilano Suspension Bridge which Mel was running across in this episode. Doc's practice/house is located in New Westminster. Hope's house is in Burnaby. Jack's bar is in Squamish. Eureka waterfront is Steveston Harbour in Richmond. They really have spread the exteriors out over a large area. Stunning scenery, though. 

For the most part I am still enjoying this series - just starting season two. I really don't buy that Doc would not have found someone in 20 years. Hope is a bitch, and he would be a catch at any age. Tim Matheson has aged well. As has Annette O'Toole, she just plays such an unlikeable person. 

• Love 3

I couldn't believe how ridiculous both Jack and Charmaine were in their first couple of scenes.  How clueless of Charmaine not to realise that she needed to just shut up with her questions and judgements about Mel.  And for Jack to be so petulant and rude when he first bumped into Mel.  Do they both have such a lack of self-awareness that they haven't given a thought about what Mel must have been dealing with on learning about the pregnancy?  Selfish jerks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, Brookside said:

I couldn't believe how ridiculous both Jack and Charmaine were in their first couple of scenes.  How clueless of Charmaine not to realise that she needed to just shut up with her questions and judgements about Mel.  And for Jack to be so petulant and rude when he first bumped into Mel.  Do they both have such a lack of self-awareness that they haven't given a thought about what Mel must have been dealing with on learning about the pregnancy?  Selfish jerks.

Charmaine didn't know Mel's history.

(edited)
On 2/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, valen said:

Charmaine didn't know Mel's history.

No but it's pretty ignorant of Charmaine to assume a woman has never been pregnant because she doesn't have living children.

I wonder if the OP meant it was difficult for Mel to deal with Charmaine's pregnancy since she and Jack were now a thing. I don't remember the timeline so not sure if that makes sense. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv