Type keyword(s) to search

Best and Worst of Psych

mstaken

I treated myself to a Psych marathon this weekend and am falling back in love with it all over again :)

This is the place to rank and chat about the series' bests and worsts: your favorite and least favorite seasons, episodes, characters, plots, relationships, running jokes, etc. 

How would you guys rank the seasons from your personal favorite to least favorite? 

• Love 2

Two, one, three, four, seven, six, five, eight.

Season two I think the show found its footing and fully balanced the comedy drama and had built the characters up. It has "Lights, Camera, Homicidio" which is my favorite episode, along with the dinosaur one, the mummy one, the model one, "American Duos." On a shallow note, I think James Roday looks very good that season. I always liked the flashbacks, especially the Liam James ones over the Skyler Gisondo ones, so the lack of flashbacks in seasons seven and eight is disappointing. Even seasons I'm not extremely fond of have moments and episodes I love, especially if they involve Shawn showing his feelings instead of hiding behind humor. Even as I was making the list I had to bump up season five from the bottom of my list because of "You kill him, I kill you! You got it?" and "Since I met you, I've been thinking about getting a car."

• Love 4

I totally agree with your choice of S2 as your favorite. It's close to perfect TV for me, and I'm simultaneously impressed and frightened by just how frequently I rewatch it :) 

S4 is my surprising choice for second favorite. It's got a few clunkers, but it also features some of my all-time favorites. I really like S1, but S1 Shawn seems even more obnoxiously over-the-top and immature than usual (and that's really saying something!), so I can't rank it above third. S3 is solid, but doesn't happen to contain any of my favorites. I'm not especially in love with any of the rest of the seasons, but I'll go S6, S5, S7 and S8. (Though I loved the finale so much that it almost makes me regret ranking S8 dead last.)

• Love 1

Here's another one for you guys as I continue to binge (re)-watch the series: What are your very favorite 10 or so episodes? A disproportionate number of mine hail from S2, though I love a lot from S1, S3 and S4 as well. And I have to include 100 Clues and maybe tjhe finale and Dual Spires and...well, maybe we should do top 15-20ish episodes instead! 

• Love 2

How did I not notice this thread?  (*waves*)

Okay, season order:  S4, S2, S1, S3, S5, S6, S7, S8.  In my mind, though, I think of S1-S4 as all great seasons and S5-S8 as okay seasons. I love Lassie, so a lot of my favorites have good scenes or character moments for him.  Also, I adore Abigail so several of my favorite eps have her in it. 

Favorite episodes:

High Noon-ish  - my absolute favorite, every moment of it.

Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing - a very close second.

Bollywood Homicide - The dinner scene is hilarious, and Sendhil Ramamurthy is gorgeous.

Shawn (and Gus) of the Dead - I have a weakness for traditional scary stuff (@mstaken probably knows that already!).  I also love the opening camera work when Lassie, Juliet and the assistant-curator are walking through the museum.

Murder?...Anyone?... Anyone?... Bueller? - Abigail is utterly adorable.  And Shawn's speech at the end recognizing Gus is nice.

Who Ya Gonna Call 

Mr. Yin Presents - the Lassiter/Juliet hug near the end is my single favorite moment in Psych history.

9 Lives - it's just cute.  

The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable 

From the Earth to the Starbucks 

• Love 2

I'm ridiculously excited to see you here, ElleryAnne! Why am I not surprised that I once again found myself nodding along with agreement while reading your post?! I, too, love Lassie. And the Gus-Shawn friendship. And Juliet, though particularly S1-S4 Juliet. 

High Noon-ish  - my absolute favorite, every moment of it.

It's endlessly rewatchable wonderfulness, isn't it?! Funny, clever, a surprisingly poignant glimpse into Lassiter's character, infectiously fun, and guest starring the never not awesome Jim Beaver! 

I can't even begin to put mine in order of preference, but the episodes I find myself loving most and rewatching the most often:

American Duos

Meat is Murder, But Murder Is Also Murder (I love hilariously cranky Uncle Burton and his obsession with older detective shows...which, sadly, I share :) Plus, the characters' obsessive love of food never fails to amuse me)

If You're So Smart, Then Why Are You Dead?

Gus's Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy 

The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable (I just rewatched this one and was surprised by how much I loved it. Meeting Uncle Jack actually explains a lot about Henry, Shawn and their dynamic with each other...plus, it was just such high energy fun!)

Tuesday the 17th (This one actually took awhile to grow on me, but now it's an all-time favorite)

High Noon-ish 

The Devil's in the Details...and the Upstairs Bedroom

Let's Get Hairy 

Thrill Seekers and Hell Raisers 

It's funny that no S1 episodes made it to my top 10 all-time favorites list, though Spellinggg Bee,  9 Lives, From Earth to Starbucks and Scary Sherry were all awfully close! 

• Love 1
I, too, love Lassie. And the Gus-Shawn friendship. And Juliet, though particularly S1-S4 Juliet.

The Gus-Shawn friendship is a perfect foundation for the show.  They've got the best chemistry. I also love the Lassie-Juliet friendship, and the way we get to watch it develop over time.   I do like Juliet, and I agree about particularly S1-S4 Juliet.  She's a great balance of kick-ass and sweet in the early seasons.  She loses a little of her edge when she's with Shawn, but she's still good.

The Devil's in the Details...and the Upstairs Bedroom

I can't believe I forgot to fit that episode into my Top Ten!

• Love 1

I love that our general consensus is first four seasons, last four seasons.

For me, it's about emotional moments along with high stakes, Shawn or Jules going undercover, a good mystery and good flashbacks.

Lights, Camera, Homicidio: Because sometimes "nectarina dulce envuelta en tafeta" just pops into my head. Along with "You should have a degree in being wrong all the time." 

Mr. Yin Presents: I love the Hitchcock references. I love that Abigail inverts the "It's Not You, It's My Enemies" trope, when Shawn decides he's ready to commit. Lassie/Jules hug. Shawn/Henry hug. Creepy all white rooms in mental hospitals. Heroic Shawn, Gus and Lassie. "Do you think they have racquetball in heaven?" "I know they do."

An Evening With Mr. Yang: I love the scene with Yang in the car. I love the Shawn/Juliet moment at the end. I love Shawn's fake breakdown. It's one of those where I remember watching it for the first time and being so worried because all this stuff was happening on Psych, and it was so intense and wrong to have this drama on a comedy, but in the best way.

Scary Sherry (Biancas's Toast): Shawn and Gus start an urban legend. Jules goes overboard on undercover work and then gets an ax. Shawn and Gus are totally afraid of ghosts, and it sets the precedent for Gus bailing on Shawn whenever there's a supernatural danger. It also has Shawn looking kind of lost at the idea of losing Gus when talking to Alice.

Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark: "Look, man, I have been shot! I am jumping on somebody's car!" "If Shawn really has been shot, there's no room I'm not gonna bust open to find my son." "If you could just mail me back to my dad, that would be awesome." Sympathetic reluctant bad guy, Lassie/Henry teamwork, relevant Shawn flashback.

Tuesday the 17th: Well done horror. Gus screws everything up for once. Shawn freaks out thinking Gus has been killed, but "I beat him already, Shawn!" Shawn quoting "Smooth Criminal" when finds a dead body, all the horror movie cliches with their pasts coming back to haunt them. And I so want to go to the murder camp that Jason had planned. 

American Duos: "Shout," Tim Curry, and Juliet's crazy coaching.

Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion: Vain Gus, a good mystery, Shawn being very sweet to the New Zealand designer lady from Ever After, slow motion model walks with everyone looking even more attractive than usual, and "You treat a woman like a person, and then a princess, and then a Greek goddess, and then a person again."

Pilot: It started it all, and it lets us get to know and love Shawn and Gus very quickly.

Psych: The Musical: A good mystery, Anthony Rapp, Shawn sings the breakdown, the return of Mary Lightly, holy crap they almost hanged Shawn, Yang to the rescue she really does love him, and now she's dead. Gus tap dances, Lassie Irish step dances, Shawn and Lassie tango, and "I've Heard It Both Ways" along with its reprisals.

I feel emotionally drained just thinking of that much Psych. Next round I say we go Psych quotes.

• Love 3
Mr. Yin Presents: I love the Hitchcock references.

Oh, how could I have forgotten this one?! I'm not usually a huge fan of the more 'serious' episodes, but I love this one. 

Next round I say we go Psych quotes.

I second that suggestion! 

• Love 1

Don't even get me started on Psych quotes. Too late, I'm starting in.

Ok, funny and/or useful in real life:

1. "You should have a degree in being wrong all the time."  - Shawn, "Lights, Camera, Homicidio"

2. "Stop analyzing my threat." - Gus, "65 Million Years Off"
3. "Look, man, I have been shot! I am jumping on somebody’s car!" - Shawn, "Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark"
4. "If I had learned how to laugh as a child, I would right now." - Agent Ewing (Lou Diamond Phillips), "Psy Vs. Psy"
5. "I’m sharp as cheddar." - Juliet, "American Duos"
6. "I don’t lose things. I place things in locations which later elude me."  - Shawn, "Shawn Has the Yips"
7. "Take that down. Children walk by here every day, carrying their hopes and dreams." - Shawn, "Tuesday the 17th"
8. "You know I’m not really a regular person, right? ‘Cause I tried once and failed. I’m just too unique and interesting." - Shawn, "Gus Walks Into a Bank"
9. "It’s just that laws keep changing. It’s getting very challenging to keep up with them all." - Shawn, "The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable"

10. (singing) "If Jesus was our manager, he would bring us all together..." - Shawn, "High Top Fade Out"

Did not remember these, but found them when looking up the episode for another quote and burst out laughing, so honorable mention on the list.

11. "I will eat you in manageable, bite-sized pieces." - Gus, "Extradition Part II: The Actual Extradition Part" 

12. "What about me fellas? I'm not having any psychic visions, or flashbacks or recreation flashbacks OR recreation flashbacks with new psychic visions. Imagine you weren't just a bland, gangly average human, that you could wink at someone and-and-and light up their world! That you could make a child THINK you have given them an ice cream cone without giving them the cone! And then watch them skip off into a beautiful meadow licking nothing but air! Imagine that! Imagine that you had a special gift, a sixth sense and someone or something comes along and RIPS it away from you! IMAGINE THAT, JACK!" - Shawn, "Last Night Gus"

Heartwarming, romantic,  serious and/or badass quotes:

1. Shawn: I can't watch him die. You'll have to kill me first.

Gus: You must be outta your damn mind if you think I'm gonna sit here and die after watching you die...I don't blame you, Shawn. I want you to know that if I had the chance to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. You're my best friend, and we got a chance to live out our childhood dreams. I DON'T BLAME YOU. Okay? And I'm sorry if I couldn't always cut loose the way you wanted me to.

Shawn: You kill him, I kill you, you got it?

- "Yang 3 in 2D"

2. "Maybe the best things, the richest things, aren't supposed to come easily, and that sometimes the moments that make the most sense happen when everything else doesn't, and, well, I—  I think you deserve more than popcorn tonight." - Juliet, "An Evening With Mr. Yin"

3. Shawn: I have a motorcycle. And you know what? It is the purest form of freedom that I have ever experienced. You zip through traffic, park anywhere, you certainly don't have to help anyone move. Easily the best purchase I have ever made and I have never regretted it, not for one minute.

Juliet: I get it, you love your motorcycle. Is there a point to this?
Shawn: Yes there's point. Point is, since I've met you . . . I've been thinking about getting a car. 

- "Extradition Part II: The Actual Extradition Part"

4. "That's not gonna happen because if I do that, then all of this goes away. All of it, and with it goes the good. All the lives that I've saved, the lives that I've improved. This is what I have, Jules. This is how I do good." - Shawn, "Santa Barbarian Candidate"

5. "Nice shooting, Detective." -  Lassie, "Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark"

6. "If Shawn really has been shot, there's no room I'm not gonna bust open to find my son." - Henry, "Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark"

7. "Which do you think they'd rather have? One million dollars, or 6 more months with you? You know damn well what they will choose, and they won't have to think about it for a second." - Shawn, "Daredevils!"

8. "You've got to save him, that's my dad!" - Shawn, "Santabarbaratown 2"

9. "I'll quit when you're behind bars. Or dead. I honestly don't have a preference at this point, Jerry." - Shawn, "Santabarbaratown 2"

10. "I would protect you." "And I would protect you right back." - Shawn and Juliet, "Yang 3 in 2D"
  • Love 2

I'm not listing my fave quotes, because I have way too many.

But my favorite episodes have to be Last Night Gus ("SOMEONE SHOT THAT GUY'S TV!"), Lassie did a Bad Bad Thing, Mr. Yin Presents, American Duos, and any of the ones that feature how much Gus and Shawn care about each other. They have the best relationship on the show imo, followed closely by Lassie/Juliet.

Worst episode- the dinosaur one and SBtown2.

Edited by Geeni
  • Love 3

See I can't do worst episodes, because for the most part Psych's bad episodes are forgettable to me. I can't remember any that were glaringly offensive or made absolutely no sense. And most episodes have something I loved about them, whether it was just one great line or gag.

• Love 1

DH and I have been watching on dvd since the show was aired only sporadically in Canada - we saw just enough on tv to get us hooked into buying the dvd's:)

Last night we watched the episode just after Lassie's wedding, with the Swedish girl and the two versions of what did/might have happened.  I really feel for Juliet; her sense of betrayal must be monumental.  Also, I loved Lassie bonding with the dog and was disappointed that they didn't get the dog in the real version.

Anyhow, like betternametocome,, I couldn't pick out a worst episode either.  Some had more laughs, more touching moments than others but there hasn't been an episode yet that disappointed me.

I am looking forward to the rest of the series but also feel bad knowing it is soon coming to an end.

Edited by Trey

I'm finding that S1 is a whole lot better than I'd remembered. The first half of the season sometimes suffered from the expected first season clunkiness and difficulty in establishing some of its characterizations and overall tone. You could even argue that Shawn was at his most annoying in S1...and that is REALLY saying something ;) But the second part of S1 has some of the series' best and most rewatchable episodes IMO.The season is such infectiously energetic fun, and we see just enough of Shawn's vulnerability and his love for Gus and his dad to balance out his annoyingly juvenile...Shawn-ness :)  I first got hooked on the series when S1 was airing, so maybe I'm just really sentimentally attached to it.  

• Love 1

...I must be missing this show even more than I'd imagined, because I've started rewatching S6 for the first time since it aired and, much to my own surprise, am absolutely loving it. There are definitely a few clunkers, but overall I'm loving this season a million times more this time around. (Conversely, I liked S5 a bit less with a second rewatch...)

All right I want to start a new round of best/worst, so...

Best and Worst Homages to Other Films/Series

Best:

1. Tuesday the 17th

2. Mr. Yin Presents

3. Dual Spires

4. Lights, Camera, Homicidio

5. American Duos

Funny thing about my choices is that Lights, Camera, Homicidio and Mr. Yin Presents are my favorite episodes, but Tuesday the 17th is a better homage.

• Love 1

How about our three or so favorite episodes from each season?! 

S1: Spellingg Bee, From Earth to Starbucks and 9 Lives (for some reason I don't love Scary Sherry quite as much as most do!) 

S2: I love pretty much every single episode from this season, but I think the ones I rewatch most are American Duos, Meat is Murder But Murder is Also Murder, and Gus' Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy 

S3: Tuesday the 17th, Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable, Six Feet Under the Sea

S4: The Devil's in the Details...and the Upstairs Bedroom, High Noon-ish and Let's Get Hairy 

S5: Feet Don't Kill Me Now, Dual Spires, Not Even Close...Encounters 

I'm not as in love with later seasons, so just my top favorite from each of the last three:

S6: Heeere's Lassie (It's probably because I never saw The Hangover, but I never loved Last Night Gus as much as most other fans!)

S7: 100 Clues 

S8: The Break-Up 

10 all-time favorites in chronological order: Spellingg Bee, American Duos, Gus's Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy, Tuesday the 17th, The Devil's in the Details, 100 Clues, The Musical...and the rest of Season 2 in its entirety :) 

I watched Psych for the first time in a while this weekend. As much as Shawn annoys me sometimes, this show just puts me in the best mood. I watched some of my favorites from S1---Spellingg Bee, From Earth to Starbucks, Game, Set Muuuurder, Poker, and Scary Sherry. S1 is uneven at points, but I actually think the last part of the season is up there with the very best of the whole series. I love how by then they had Shawn admitting just how much Gus means to him and showing the slightly more vulnerable sides of both Shawn and Lassie. I also adore S1 Juliet---she's so sunny and effervescent and endearingly unsure about certain things while still clearly very smart and competent.  

I also watched my favorites from S2, which are...practically all of them :) It's ridiculous how much I love nearly that entire season! 

S3 isn't a particular favorite of mine, but I'm looking forward to rewatching the one with Uncle Jack (Greatest Adventure in...) and Tuesday the 17th. 

S4 has some fairly low lows but also really high highs for me. High Noon-ish, The Devil's in the Details..., and Let's Get Hairy are all among my all-time favorites. 

Season order overall, at least for now:

S2

S1

S4 (though S1 and S4 are pretty much tied!)

S3

S7

S5

S6

S8

Edited by amensisterfriend

I just started watching this show a couple months ago and am in S4 currently. I really enjoy all the banter and I love many of the different relationships on the show. anyway, even though I can't speak to the entire series best and worst yet, I will say S1 and S2 delighted me a great deal. I think my favorites so far would be a toss up between American Duos (Tim Curry is so very funny especially at the end when he goes on a tare about it being the worst murder plan ever!) and Tuesday the 17th (now that's how you spoof cheesy horror!).

• Love 2

Welcome, Ditty Dot! It's great to see you here. 

Did you prefer S2 to S1? S2 is often regarded as the series' best season, so I'm just curious. S1 has this infectiously fun energy that's never quite matched for me, but it loses a few points for me because Shawn is just so obnoxiously over the top that first season---yes, even more so than usual!---and it took them a little while to establish Gus's character and the Gus/Shawn friendship. Am I right to infer from your post that S3 was your least favorite of the first three seasons? 

I think my favorites so far would be a toss up between American Duos (Tim Curry is so very funny

I absolutely adore Tim Curry and am forever vacillating between loving and loving to hate American Idol, so suffice it to say that American Duos is easily one of my all time favorites as well. 

I'll be really curious to hear your review of S4. That one has some lows for me, but also a few of my favorites. 

What do you think of Lassiiter, Juliet, Henry, Vick, etc.? And please tell me you've already downloaded the theme song! ;) 

• Love 1

I think I liked S2 and S1 fairly evenly. S1 has a certain energy to it and I generally prefer the newness of a first season even though it's generally not the most polished. S2 has some of their most creative episodes though. So it's kinda a toss up. I liked S3 and S4 fine, but it seemed to lose some of that energy also and the cases seem a bit more typical than the first couple seasons. I forgive though, there's only so many cases and so many ways into those cases and any procedural in it's fourth year is gonna struggle with this, IMO.

As to the characters, I love them all. The reason why I'm still watching is because all the characters are great, IMO. Even though Shawn is over the top, I still find myself charmed by him and I love how he and Gus appreciate each other for who they are. I actually love the relationships on this show a lot. Gus/Shawn; Shawn/Henry; Lassiter/Juliet...all of them are fun and great to watch, IMO.

• Love 2

Okay, I've successfully navigated into S5...I'm amending my above favorites to a three-way tie between American Duos, Tuesday the 17th and Dual Spires. I was never really into Twin Peaks, but I loved all the shout outs and the music and the weird in that episode. I feel like they got their whacky groove back somewhat in S5. Not that they really lost it, but there seemed to be a certain S2 energy to some of the episodes in S5. I even loved the Christmas episode, which usually very special holiday episodes don't do much for me.

Off to finish the last two of S5.

• Love 2

Season 5 is actually the season that most improved for me with a second viewing. I remember being kind of meh on it initially, but you're totally right about it recapturing that carefree energy from S1-S2. I also find it a relief that Shawn/Juliet finally get together. I don't care much about their romantic relationship one way or the other, but I'm glad they just took the plunge rather than subjecting us to more 'will they/won't they' stuff and contrived angst regarding canon fodder significsnt others. (Speaking of which, Abigail never did it for me---I'm always tempted to skip most of her scenes in S4!) Favorites from that season include Feet Don't Kill Me Now, Not Even Close...Encounters, Viagra Falls and, like you, Dual Spires! 

• Love 2

Oh man, Viagra Falls was totally fun! I loved the running gag of "Is this how we look?" "Yeah, we totally look like that." I rather enjoy that the show doesn't take itself too seriously. Not Even Close...Encounters was also a delight and I enjoyed Ferry Tale immensely, but that just might be the Emerson Cod factor more than anything--I got all giddy when I first saw Chi McBride! In fact this show has some of the best guest cast at times. Oh, and I'm totally loving the coroner guy played by Kurt Fuller--an actor I know is good, but I usually can take or leave most times.

In some ways this show has been kinda a palette cleanser for a certain other 2-man focused show who used to do some of this well too...you know what show I'm talking about. ;)

• Love 2
(edited)
Oh, and I'm totally loving the coroner guy played by Kurt Fuller--an actor I know is good, but I usually can take or leave most times.

Woody!!! He's probably my favorite non-core character. 

And, yes, Chi McBride's presence alone makes that episode a winner. 

And I had all these plans to be productive today, but it looks like now I'll be mainlining the fifth season of Psych instead... :) By the way, is Shawn A LITTLE more mature this season (relatively speaking, that is!), or is that my wishful imagination?! 

• Love 2

Oh, I think Shawn grew up quite a bit in S5. He's still got a youthful exuberance to him, but he starts taking things a bit more seriously and all. Or maybe I'm just imagining it to make me feel better for continuing to be charmed by a man child. ;)

• Love 3

It's so strange because I feel like even though season 2 is probably my favorite overall, I rewatch episodes from seasons 5, 6, and 7 more than any others. I feel like this might be a UO here, but a lot of my faves to rewatch are in season 6 specifically (Last Night Gus, This Episode Sucks, Heeeeere's Lassie, Autopsy Turvy, and Santabarbaratown). Maybe I just loved the way they did theme episodes and homages, as some of my other faves are Dual Spires, Lassie Jerky, Tuesday the 17th, and Mr. Yin Presents...

One that I didn't particularly like (probably because I hyped it so much in my mind) was 100 Clues. I'm a huge Clue fan, but I just could not get into that. I wasn't a fan of most of season 8, but the finale was just right, I thought. I enjoyed all the relationships on the show to one degree or another, but the Shawn/Gus dynamic was really the core.

• Love 2
Autopsy Turvy

Table for two, please! I absolutely LOVE this episode...due in no small part to my aforementioned love for Woody :) 

Heeeeere's Lassie

I love this one as well!

One that I didn't particularly like (probably because I hyped it so much in my mind) was 100 Clues. I'm a huge Clue fan, but I just could not get into that

I, too, am a huge Clue fan. I liked this episode a lot---because I kind of can't NOT like something that involves both Psych and Clue, two of my favorite things---but I recently rewatched that one and found myself agreeing with you that it could have been more awesome than it actually was. 

but the Shawn/Gus dynamic was really the core.

Absolutely. I don't care much about the Shawn/Juliet relationship and felt she became a less vibrant character once they got together, but I give the show a lot of credit for always keeping Shawn/Gus as the show's core regardless of romances. 

And thanks for inspiring me to rewatch Lassie Jerkie! I've only seen it once and need my memory refreshed :) 

• Love 1

OMG, you guys, I just watched Autopsy Turvy...that was great fun! I loved Woody at the end talking about how he was open to love.

And Heeeeee's Lassie was awesome too! I was laughing so hard when Lassie had Gus trapped in that laundry room. So many great The Shining shout outs and such.

• Love 2

I adore Tim Omondsun, and Heeere's Lassie is one of the most awesome showcases for him of the whole series IMO. 

Have you guys seen this DVD?

http://www.amazon.com/Psych-Psych-O-Ween-Collection-James-Roday/dp/B008F5HOYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425307829&sr=8-1&keywords=psychoween

...for those of us too broke to invest in all the DVDs, this is a nice temporary band-aid solution that features some of my most rewatched favorites: Shawn and Gus of the Dead, Tuesday the 17th, Heeeere's Lassie and This Episode Sucks for a mercifully low price :)  Now if only they had included Scary Sherry! 

• Love 2

So I got through Lassie Jerky last night, and while I enjoyed it greatly, I didn't love it for some reason. I did love Juliette being the smart one and all, that was great! I think I might be found-footaged out right now. The bigfoot angle was fun though, I got a very Northern Exposure nostalgia feel from the episode. Gus possibly eating Lassie, though, cracked me the hell up.

I know I was sick the last week and all, but it might be kinda telling that it took me a couple months to get through the first three seasons, but I breezed through three seasons in two weeks. I feel obsession setting in...great, like I don't already have enough distractions in my life.

• Love 1

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying getting to relive this series again!This mood-boosting gem really is addictive, isn't it?! Soon you'll be obsessively rewatching to see if you can spot the pineapple in every single episode :) 

it took me a couple months to get through the first three seasons, but I breezed through three seasons in two weeks.

Is it partly that you're liking the later seasons more than expected...?

I don't know if I'm liking the seasons more or if it's just that I finally got invested in the characters. A very similar thing happened to me with Supernatural, too. I enjoyed the show, but somewhere towards the end of S2 I really started to care and moved it up to the top of my viewing priorities. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't need another distraction in my life...

• Love 2
(edited)
The only thing I know for sure is that I don't need another distraction in my life...

Yes...yes, you do :) Without you here to talk about Psych with me, I may have to resort to being productive. You don't what that on your conscience, do you?!

It's funny how SPN and Psych are very similar in certain ways and absolute polar opposites in others. Both revolve around a brotherly duo (I get that Shawn and Gus aren't biological brothers, but they're pretty much family!) who try to sort through various mysterious and deadly problems-of-the-week; both of those pairs feature one guy who's the charming, fearless, outgoing and joke-prone one (Shawn/Dean Winchester) and one who's the more serious, nervous, worried, sensitive and 'book smart' one (Gus/Sam); both shows feature a main character who has/had a complex relationship with his demanding father; both shows sometimes do comedic, cheerfully blatant homages to other shows/films/pop culture phenomena...and both enjoy making fun of the vampire craze when the opportunity arises:)

On the other hand, SPN is arguably too self-serious and dripping in its relentlessly bleak angst while Psych is arguably too wildly silly, goofy, and over the top. SPN devotes an endless amount of screentime to exploring the main duos' characters and their dynamic to the point of psychobabble navel gazing,  while Psych almost takes pride in NOT being introspective or focusing explicitly on the characters' inner demons. 

Oh, and the main similarity...both get on my nerves sometimes, but have a bunch of episodes to which I am totally and pathetically addicted and can't stop rewatching :) 

Office Space! I love Office Space! (both the movie and the episode). Was there anyone out there who thought Woody could be trusted with a secret? ;)

Also, was a bit disappointed in 100 Clue...I mean, it was fun, but somehow felt more like rip-off than homage.

I was kinda wishing Shawn did come clean and tell the chief he wasn't a psychic. I was hoping she'd say, "yeah, like I didn't figure that one out, I don't care, you solve cases."

• Love 1
I was kinda wishing Shawn did come clean and tell the chief he wasn't a psychic. I was hoping she'd say, "yeah, like I didn't figure that one out, I don't care, you solve cases."

Yeah, I have very mixed feelings about how the whole issue of who did/should know the truth about Shawn was handled throughout the series.And I always had the impression the chief knew but didn't care since Shawn happened to prove valuable to the department. 

Also, was a bit disappointed in 100 Clue...I mean, it was fun, but somehow felt more like rip-off than homage.

Weirdly enough, part of me wishes they'd more wholeheartedly embraced their destiny to rip off that movie and gone with it---instead, the rock star plot felt like it belonged in a different type of episode to me, and they just didn't seem to celebrate Clue as fully and gleefully as they could have. 

I can't believe you're already nearing the final season! Please keep posting your thoughts :) 

(edited)

Yeah, I have very mixed feelings about how the whole issue of who did/should know the truth about Shawn was handled throughout the series.And I always had the impression the chief knew but didn't care since Shawn happened to prove valuable to the department. 

You know, at the end of the first episode where Henry lies to the Chief for Shawn, I had this idea that he didn't lie, but told the Chief to indulge Shawn because he really could help her solve crimes. I kinda hoped all through the first couple seasons that Shawn would be outted and he'd have to deal with the fall out. I don't really care one way or another about Jules and Shawn together, but I was glad they had him come clean to her. It was hard to watch her be so in awe of his "gift" knowing it was a lie.

Weirdly enough, part of me wishes they'd more wholeheartedly embraced their destiny to rip off that movie and gone with it---instead, the rock star plot felt like it belonged in a different type of episode to me, and they just didn't seem to celebrate Clue as fully and gleefully as they could have.

Yeah, I think it laid too much in the middle. They either needed to full on rip it off or make it their own more. Like I said, it was fun and I definitely don't hate it, but somehow I just found it lacking. Oh, and I really wanted to see that chocolate room, and really wanted Gus to find it. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
I don't really care one way or another about Jules and Shawn together, but I was glad they had him come clean to her. It was hard to watch her be so in awe of his "gift" knowing it was a lie.

Agreed! 

By the way, my very UO about this series is that if they felt compelled to pair Juliet up with someone, I always wished it has been with Lassiter :) 

• Love 1

Alright, got through Psych: The Musical last night and still not sure how I feel about it. At times I was really caught up in it and others I found myself playing solitaire...maybe it was too long?  I had to go look up when it aired because I thought it was weird how there were references that didn't fit the timeline--Jules being in the dark about Shawn being a lying liar who lies and a couple others too--so was it intended to air earlier in the season?

Anyway, the cast made this episode, IMO. The songs and arrangements weren't particularly extraordinary, but what the cast brought to them made them work for me. Dule Hill and Tim Omondsun were the standouts, IMO. The Jamaican Inspector Man bit was particularly hilarious to me for some reason. Also, really liked Ally Sheedy in this episode. Yang's death scene was heartbreaking and funny at the same time...and Mary Lightly too! I haven't really been too interested in the Yang episodes--I liked the one with all the Hitchcock references, though--but I was really enamored by her here for some reason. Corbin Bernsen's "not gonna happen" gave me a full-on belly laugh. And, of course, Kurt Fuller had me in stitches too. The shots of Woody coming out of the morgue refrigeration thingy were super-fantastic, IMO. Mostly though, I rather enjoyed Shawn and Lassie dancing!

The last couple episodes in S7 don't really stand out for me, but they did leave me curious for S8 and wanting to know how they wrap it all up in the end.

By the way, my very UO about this series is that if they felt compelled to pair Juliet up with someone, I always wished it has been with Lassiter :) 

I keep going back and forth on this one. On the one hand, I think they'd make a great couple, but on the other, I don't know if I would've like to see them together in life and work. So far, I haven't minded Shawn and Jules together--I think it works and all--and I think it actually made for some shifting dynamics in S7 with Jules learning Shawn's secret. I'm just one of those weirdoes who doesn't see the need to pair regulars up on shows though--I like the idea that folks can just be friends and colleagues and have some sexual tension without the romantic ties--so I really didn't have many feelings either way.

Finished S8... enjoyed them all to some degree, but loved:

• Remake A.K.A. Cloudy...With A Chance of Improvement--thought it was kind of a clever way to do a clip-type show without doing a clip show.
  • Cog Blocked--nice Gus episode.
  • Touch of Sweevil--really enjoyed all the goofy "mentalists."
  • Nightmare on State Street--Another clever homage that also nicely ties into what's going on in the season.

I thought The Breakup was a great ending episode, but not sure if it's one I will want to revisit often...it made my eyes leak a little and I'm not sure that's really all that healthy. ;)

So, to answer the above question about the seasons rankings, I would say: S2, S6, S5, S1, S3, S4, S7, S8. Although, they're all pretty close, IMO, so it's hard to make a definite judgment on them. I'm sure my list will be different tomorrow. Why yes, I am just that flaky. ;)

Top two favs from each season (this was very hard, especially with S2) :

S1: He Loves Me...; Scary Sherry...

S2: American Duos; Black and Tan...

S3: Tuesday the 17th; Disco Didn't Die, It Was Murdered

S4: Head, the Tail...; A Very Juliet Episode

S5: Not Even Close Encounters; Dual Spires

S6: Heeeee's Lassie; Last Night Gus

S7: No Country For Two Old Men, Office Space

S8: Remake...; Cog Blocked

Now I think I need to start the whole process over again. Obsessed much? Sigh

• Love 1
So, to answer the above question about the seasons rankings, I would say: S2, S6, S5, S1, S3, S4, S7, S8. Although, they're all pretty close, IMO, so it's hard to make a definite judgment on them. I'm sure my list will be different tomorrow. Why yes, I am just that flaky. ;)

Hee! If it's any consolation, mine change with alarming frequency as well :) I think at the moment I'd go with S2, S1, S4, S6, S3, S5, S7 and S8...but that could change by the time you read this. 

And, gah, just TWO from every season?! Can we go with three? Four? 11 or 12?! 

S1: Spellingg Bee, From the Earth... 

S2: American Duos, Dis-Lodged (I can't even begin to justify why I love this one so much other than my fondness for episodes that give us lots of Lassie...but, honestly, nearly any S2 episode could go on this list!)

S3: Tuesday the 17th and The Greatest Adventure In... (Fun, different episode...and Uncle Jack being the way he is explains so much about both Henry and Shawn for me!) 

S4: The Devil's in the Details (it's ridiculous how much I enjoy this one!) and High Noon-ish (but it kills me not to include High Top Fadeout!) 

S5: Dual Spires and hm...maybe Ferry Tale, if only due to Chi McBride! 

S6: Heeere's Lassie and This Episode Sucks 

S7: 100 Clues (I know it fell short of expectations, but it's still Clue, so I can't not vote for it!) and Office Space

S8: A Touch of Sweevil and The Breakup 

How about your top 10-15 overall, without regard to season?!  

• Love 1

Gah, this was no easier than trying to pick only two per season, but I hate to leave a challenge undone...

1. American Duos
  2. 65 Million Years Off
  3. Lights, Camera... Homicidio
  4. Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion
  5. The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable
  6. Disco Didn't Die. It Was Murdered!
  7. Tuesday the 17th
  8. The Devil's in the Details... and the Upstairs Bedroom
  9. Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark
  10. A Very Juliet Episode
  11. The Head, The Tail, The Whole Damn Episode
  12. Mr. Yin Presents
  13. Not Even Close... Encounters
  14. Dual Spires
  15. Last Night Gus
  16. Heeeeere's Lassie
  17. Autopsy Turvy
  18. No Country for Two Old Men
  19. Office Space
  20. Cog Blocked
  • Love 1

Forgot to mention, if I had to pick only one episode to live with for the rest of my life (which would be a CRIME!!) I think I'd go for Last Night Gus.  Just like that evil bastard Crowley...I do like a good buddy comedy. Actually, I think they did such a great job of getting everyone involved in that one. I was laughing through the first part of it and then it suddenly dawned on me Henry wasn't involved...just then, Henry calls Shawn and he's got sugar all over his face too! In general, I think this show was outstanding in how it used it's side characters. Really helped keeping the show from getting stale and repetitive.

• Love 4