Type keyword(s) to search

Best and Worst of Psych

mstaken

Not sure if this is the best spot but I've been watching Psych every night on Ion and Woody is absolutely hilarious. From holding up a necklace with VT and thinks it means the victim when to Virginia Tech instead of you know her name. Earlier in the episode when asked the cause of death he says he suspected smallpox but she had none of the signs plus apparently smallpox had been eradicated twenty years go. Asking about the chrome on his skeleton. Another episode Shawn comes up to him asking at bones and Woody immediate replies that its illegal to sell bones instead of you know realizing Shawn wanted another look at the victim's bones. When Shawn has to bunk with Woody.  Or he assumes when Lassie says suit up Woody puts on his swimming trunks instead of his suit. And his part in the night no one can remember. Funny, funny guy.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

I had an epiphany last night when I threw in the disc with Heeeeere's Lassie. I noticed the episode after it was titled Shawn and the Real Girl. My first reaction was, "I don't remember this episode, must not be a good one if I can't remember the name of it." But when watching it I realized I liked the episode, more or less, even though I didn't remember the name of it. 

My epiphany? There is no episode of this show I actively dislike. There are some I love more than others, but none I ever consider skipping. Every single one of them seems to have some entertainment value. I think this might be the only show I can say this about.

• Love 4

DittyDotDot, I feel the same way. There are episodes I definitely watch more than others, but there are none that I actively wont watch. I do skip around sometimes when rewatching, but I don't actually say "No, I don't like that episode." There are no worst episodes for me, just ones I don't love as much as others. 

• Love 6

Best: Every single thing about this show.

Was I supposed to be more specific? :)

Favorite season: 2, with 4 and 6 close runners up (but I love every season and our sparkling new movie!)

Favorite episode: yeah, no, not gonna happen because I can't pick fewer than 80! I think I've probably watched Tuesday the 17th the most, but I've seen them all at least a few times and will be watching them many more.

Favorite minor character, non-villain edition: Woody

Favorite recurring villain: Despereux

Favorite friendship: Shawn/Gus, of course, but Juliet/Lassie is a close runner-up!

Favorite recurring joke: "Gus, don't be a ...." Is there a video compilation of all these on youtube? I've tried searching and couldn't find one!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, strongercoffee said:

Favorite recurring joke: "Gus, don't be a ...." Is there a video compilation of all these on youtube? I've tried searching and couldn't find one!

Ask and thy shall receive: 

My favorite, "Gus don't be this crevice in my arm." I don't know why that one particular, but it always tickles my funny bone. ;)

• Love 7

Gus, don't be a gloomy you. Gus, don't be the 100th luftballoon. Gus, don't be the second time ever I saw your face. Don't be the American adaptation of the British Gus. Gus, don't be the remake of Yours MIne and Ours. While I'm at it, don't be the original either. Gus, don't be the way Eriq La Salle spells Eriq.

I just don't even have the words for how much I love this show and how it seems to get better and better with every rewatch!

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, strongercoffee said:

Gus, don't be a gloomy you. Gus, don't be the 100th luftballoon. Gus, don't be the second time ever I saw your face. Don't be the American adaptation of the British Gus. Gus, don't be the remake of Yours MIne and Ours. While I'm at it, don't be the original either. Gus, don't be the way Eriq La Salle spells Eriq.

I just don't even have the words for how much I love this show and how it seems to get better and better with every rewatch!

::snort:: Agree to agree!!

• Love 5
On 12/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, strongercoffee said:

Best: Every single thing about this show.

Was I supposed to be more specific? :)

Favorite season: 2, although really the first four seasons overall

Favorite episode: "Lights, Camera, Homocidio"

Favorite minor character, non-villain edition: Buzz

Favorite recurring villain: Yang

Favorite friendship: Shawn/Gus. Like duking it out with Shawn and Cory or Scott and Stiles for best duo ever.

Favorite recurring joke: The nicknames. Or maybe "You must be outta your damn mind!"

And allow me to add a few more: 

Favorite Musical Number: "Shout," followed by "Shawn Hears the Theme" where he breaks down the case of from the musical

Favorite Serious Ep: "Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark" and "An Evening with Mr. Yang"

Favorite One-Time Villain: Alice from "Scary Sherry"

Most Emotionally Satisfying End to a Case: Shawn stops the daredevil dying of natural causes from killing himself for the insurance money 

• Love 3

Ooooh, favorites list, hu? I'll play...or I'll try to play, anyway.

• Favorite season: 2
  • Favorite episode: Last Night Gus
  • Favorite Minor Character, Non-Villain Edition: Toss up between Woody and Buzz
  • Favorite Recurring Villain: Hmm, that's hard. I guess, Despereux although I did really enjoy Ally Sheedy as Yang. It's weird though because I'm not really a fan of the Yang or Despereux episodes, in general, but their characters were fun.
  • Favorite friendship: Shawn/Gus
  • Favorite Recurring Joke: Gus, don't be a...
  • Favorite Musical Number: Hmm..."Shout" on American Duos
  • Favorite Serious Episode: Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark
  • Favorite One-Time Villain: Hmm, just too many I enjoyed to choose just one.
  • Most Emotionally Satisfying End to a Case: Shawn and Henry at the end of Santabarbartown 2

And let me add one more:

• Favorite Homage Episode: Dual Spires with Office Space a close second.
  • Love 7

I'm not very good at this, but I've said before some of my least favorite episodes are where Shawn is shown to be a dumbass--and when I say that, I mean, dumbing him down from the intelligent/smart/cunning person we know him to be and turning him into a lazy ass moocher, who apparently doesn't have money of his own and uses Gus's credit card to buy things for himself. I'd like to smack whoever idea that was upside his/her head. Yeah, even if James Roday thought it was a good idea to take Shawn down this path, I would smack him upside his head for that. Others are where Juliet is being an ass and hypocrite--though I do appreciate how her hypocrisy is thrown in her face--the episode where her brother shows up, and she's all indignant and insulted when Shawn accuses Ewan of being a murderer, and Gus brings up, the same way she and Lassie arrested both of his parents for murder? And at the end, her face at Shawn when she says his apology isn't good enough "this time." Why? because Ewan is so speshial? Then of course the show messed up, because even attempted murder of another military guy would fall under the purview of Army JAG, NOT the local police, which Juliet was a part of; and he'd be sent to the brig and not the local prison or whatever. 

I hate, hate the Declan episodes.

I love "100 Clues" and how they dedicated it to the memory of Madeline Kahn. I wonder, had she not passed, if she would have played the role that Lesley Ann Warren did? And I would have loved it if they had gotten Tim Curry to play a different role.

And I know I'm overthinking this, but that's what happens when I'm binge watching and the episodes all blur together. But if Shawn is 18 in 1995, that would make him 9 in all the 1987 flashbacks, and 11 in the 1989 flashbacks, right? THEN, in that horrific do over of that Cloudy episode, with all new actors playing the DA, client, judge--Ralph Macchio, can't recall the name of the actress who played the client, and Ray Wise as the judge. They had the first scene as 1981, where Shawn was a wee baby-less than a year old--and this totally mucks up his age. He should have been 4 in 1981, if you follow the timeline of his age in all other flashbacks.

And I also watched the aftershow after the series finale, and maaaan. I want to know who was in charge of choosing which fan's questions would be asked. They ALL, ALL looked like they were stoned or hung over or just doped up; no affect, no expression...just...dead eyes.

To be honest, I just wanted to hear more about how James and Dulé's friendship developed and their favorite episodes. Maggie and James were still dating so I'm surprised no one asked how it felt to work together while dating in real life. The funniest bit was when Jaleel thanked the show and sarcastically said that they didn't hang out with anyone or get along with the cast, and the camera slowly pans to Dulé, who is sitting right next to him, giving him the side-eye.

And for me, the list of A-list stars appearing on this show wasn't the "highlight" for me--it was Shawn and Gus's friendship. And they really should have given Steve Franks and whoever that other guy (lead singer of The Friendly Indians?) a microphone when they sang the title song at the end.

And I'd forgotten that the show had tried and tried to get Emilio Estevez for their show, but weren't able to do it, so they settled for a picture of President Bartlett, hee! It's so interesting--that five alumni/guest stars of The West Wing, appeared on this show--Kirsten Nelson played a young Mrs. Landingham in the season two finale "Two Cathedrals," Josh Malina showed up in the last three seasons, Jon Amos, Gary Cole and though he didn't appear, he directed a few episodes-Tim Matheson.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I know I'm overthinking this, but that's what happens when I'm binge watching and the episodes all blur together. But if Shawn is 18 in 1995, that would make him 9 in all the 1987 flashbacks, and 11 in the 1989 flashbacks, right? THEN, in that horrific do over of that Cloudy episode, with all new actors playing the DA, client, judge--Ralph Macchio, can't recall the name of the actress who played the client, and Ray Wise as the judge. They had the first scene as 1981, where Shawn was a wee baby-less than a year old--and this totally mucks up his age. He should have been 4 in 1981, if you follow the timeline of his age in all other flashbacks.

I thought that was kind of the point. They were remaking it, but then kind of making fun of the remakes because they always over do or try to go bigger in remakes and change facts.        

• Love 2
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm not very good at this, but I've said before some of my least favorite episodes are where Shawn is shown to be a dumbass--and when I say that, I mean, dumbing him down from the intelligent/smart/cunning person we know him to be and turning him into a lazy ass moocher, who apparently doesn't have money of his own and uses Gus's credit card to buy things for himself. I'd like to smack whoever idea that was upside his/her head. Yeah, even if James Roday thought it was a good idea to take Shawn down this path, I would smack him upside his head for that. Others are where Juliet is being an ass and hypocrite--though I do appreciate how her hypocrisy is thrown in her face--the episode where her brother shows up, and she's all indignant and insulted when Shawn accuses Ewan of being a murderer, and Gus brings up, the same way she and Lassie arrested both of his parents for murder? And at the end, her face at Shawn when she says his apology isn't good enough "this time." Why? because Ewan is so speshial? Then of course the show messed up, because even attempted murder of another military guy would fall under the purview of Army JAG, NOT the local police, which Juliet was a part of; and he'd be sent to the brig and not the local prison or whatever. 

I hate, hate the Declan episodes.

I love "100 Clues" and how they dedicated it to the memory of Madeline Kahn. I wonder, had she not passed, if she would have played the role that Lesley Ann Warren did? And I would have loved it if they had gotten Tim Curry to play a different role.

Those are my least favorite episodes too. There was no reason to dumb down Shawn. It drove me crazy that Shawn who had an apartment in season one was now mooching off Gus. The episode where Henry tells him he doesn't want to pay his insurance anymore and Shawn trying to defend himself by saying Juliet and Gus like paying things for him. Seriously? They make Shawn sound like a child. Also when was Gus ever happy to pay for things for Shawn? Isn't he always complaining about doing that? Why couldn't they kept the cool character they created?  Shawn was cool, fun and funny but he was also capable of paying for things. Because he did in the earlier seasons.    

I'll take the Declan scenes over all scenes with Shawn's mother. I really don't like her. She doesn't fit with the show and I still can't figure out why Shawn feels so loyal to her?       

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Which is Carlton's real first name? His mother calls him Booker in the episode Juliet calls her trying to get ideas for his birthday but at his wedding ceremony its Prince Carlton? 

I'd say Booker was just a nickname.

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Which is Carlton's real first name? His mother calls him Booker in the episode Juliet calls her trying to get ideas for his birthday but at his wedding ceremony its Prince Carlton? 

Carlton is his first name.

1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

I'd say Booker was just a nickname.

As well as "Binky."

• Love 2

I'll play! Even though asking me to choose some over others is complete torture :-)

Favorite season: 7 (I know. It's a crazy preference of mine, and one that I tried to explain in the unpopular opinions thread!)

Favorite episode: Episode - singular?! But I have at least 50! I'll have to be a mature adult about this and resort to eenie meenie minie moe. ;) Let's go with 100 Clues because the only thing I've watched more than I watch Psych is Clue.

Favorite Minor Character, Non-Villain Edition: Woody!

Favorite Recurring Villain: Big Despereaux fan, though I still can't spell the guy's name.

Favorite friendship: Shawn/Gus, and it's my favorite friendship in TV history, not just of the friendships on this show!

Favorite Recurring Joke: Gus, don't be a...  -I'll steal this answer because it's perfect, and whoever posted that video upthread is my hero

Favorite Musical Number: The a capella act from High Top Fade Out?

Favorite Serious Episode: Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark

Most Emotionally Satisfying End to a Case: I know this is cheating, but literally every time Gus and Shawn sincerely say and show how much they care about each other---usually after being in a life-threatening situation.

Favorite Homage Episode: 100 Clues, American Duos, Dual Spires, Office Space....I've given up even trying to pick just one!

• Love 3

I'm deep into a rewatch that I started at random with Season 5. Loving the show more than ever, and have greater appreciation for some things that I was lukewarm about before. For one: Maggie Lawson is terrific, threading the needle as someone very capable who still puts up with a lot of malarkey. And I notice that the show's gender politics aren't terrible. Juliet gets to save the day many times, she often gets to drive with Lassiter riding shotgun (even in at least one major car chase) and she's respected by everyone on the force. Great work by both Lawson and Roday in the revelation scene in "Deez Nups." On the flip, after the breakup, Shawn's behavior tips into won't-take-no-for-an-answer territory that gives me mild creeps, I bet it would be written differently today (cf Jake and Amy on Brooklyn 99). 

As always, I'm crazy about Shawn/Gus. Dule Hill is brilliant. Love Henry and am always happy to see him show up. 

Anyway, y'all's many references to the brilliance of early seasons makes it clear that I need to circle back around to Season 1 after I've finished!

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, rejnel said:

I'm deep into a rewatch that I started at random with Season 5. Loving the show more than ever, and have greater appreciation for some things that I was lukewarm about before. For one: Maggie Lawson is terrific, threading the needle as someone very capable who still puts up with a lot of malarkey. And I notice that the show's gender politics aren't terrible. Juliet gets to save the day many times, she often gets to drive with Lassiter riding shotgun (even in at least one major car chase) and she's respected by everyone on the force. Great work by both Lawson and Roday in the revelation scene in "Deez Nups." On the flip, after the breakup, Shawn's behavior tips into won't-take-no-for-an-answer territory that gives me mild creeps, I bet it would be written differently today (cf Jake and Amy on Brooklyn 99). 

As always, I'm crazy about Shawn/Gus. Dule Hill is brilliant. Love Henry and am always happy to see him show up. 

Anyway, y'all's many references to the brilliance of early seasons makes it clear that I need to circle back around to Season 1 after I've finished!

I agree about Juliet. I also loved that she was a happy, upbeat person. So many detectives on shows are so sad, depressed, etc. which I get they see a lot of bad things and often have a traumatic event happened in the past. But it was so nice to have a detective who is happy, cheerful and positive. 

• Love 3

I just finished watching Touch of Sweevil. That episode is so funny. Watching Shawn and Gus interacting with the witch, Tom Arnold and the Ghost was so funny. Seeing Shawn and Gus upping their antics even more. I also love how much Lassie was getting into it! Convincing Shawn and Gus to go to eleven and later fifteen. Walking around the integration room yelling at the ghost, joining in the holding hands and agreeing the witch was married to a warlock. I love Woody for giving Hazel a vital of blood to undo a curse that his mommy put on him.  

5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree about Juliet. I also loved that she was a happy, upbeat person. So many detectives on shows are so sad, depressed, etc. which I get they see a lot of bad things and often have a traumatic event happened in the past. But it was so nice to have a detective who is happy, cheerful and positive. 

But they changed her from being a positive and upbeat character to one who had draaaaammmmmaaaaaa in her past when they retconned her parents being divorced, and her dad being a con man/liar/deadbeat. Yes, Yes, I remember EVERYTHING. And they can't say oh, it was in the pilot so of course it changed. No, no. Juliet didn't appear until the second episode. Her cats disappeared. Then there was some mention of having a dog in either the later seasons or maybe it was the movie.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Ask and thy shall receive: 

My favorite, "Gus don't be this crevice in my arm." I don't know why that one particular, but it always tickles my funny bone. ;)

"Gus don't be Topher Grace running on the beach at the end of In Good Company" is the best one

• Love 1

I just started rewatching Psych again. I'm on Season 5. So glad to have a place to talk about it!

I'll share the list because it looks fun:

Favorite season: 2 (4 is really underrated)

Favorite episode: Lights Camera Homicido

Favorite Minor Character, Non-Villain Edition: Woody

Favorite Recurring Villain: Yang

Favorite friendship: Lassie/Henry if just for that one episode where they went fishing and it annoyed Shawn

Favorite Recurring Joke: "Gus, don't be X"

Favorite Musical Number: "Shout" on American Duos all the way

Favorite Serious Episode: Mr Yin Presents is so good in every way.

Favorite One-Time Villain: the villains are never really compelling or memorable outside of the recurring ones so IDK how to answer

Most Emotionally Satisfying End to a Case: Exonerating Lassie at the end of Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing

Favorite Homage Episode: Mr Yin Presents (big Hitchcock fan)

• Love 2

I can only think of two "cringe-worthy" moments that I don't want to see again.

One is the beginning of the episode when Shawn runs for mayor. He was kind of a dick at the ceremony.

The other is when Juliette tried to make friends with the bitchy woman police officer. I have to fast-forward through those scenes. It was a low light of an otherwise great episode. 

I'm not a huge fan of Juliette in general, however I liked the way that she could throw herself into a role when she went undercover. She even had the last detail of little Millicent's bedroom. 

I always expected Juliette to end up with Shawn, that was just how the show seemed to be written. Over the re-watches I kind of shipped Juliette and Lassiter. They somehow seemed more suited to each other.  I also thought it was too bad the chief was married, I thought she should have ended up with Henry. 

I think one of the greatest scenes in Psych history was the end to Mr. Yin Presents. The song was perfect and it showed real growth in Lassiter and Juliette's partnership. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I think one of the greatest scenes in Psych history was the end to Mr. Yin Presents. The song was perfect and it showed real growth in Lassiter and Juliette's partnership. 

I downloaded the song after that ep first aired, and to this day when I listen to it, I get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach because of the moment we see Young Shawn with Yang in the photo.

Completely agree on the 2 cringeworthy scenes. Shawn is way more of a jerk in that scene than he is typically shown to be. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2018 at 10:13 AM, Commando Cody said:

I also thought it was too bad the chief was married, I thought she should have ended up with Henry. 

I went several seasons believing Chief Vick was a lesbian and I'm not even sure why.

Yesterday I rewatched the one where Shawn gets shot - it's such a good episode. Honestly I'm trying to think of something negative about it and I can't come up with anything. I looooved Henry with Carlton (poor Lassie), Gus and Juliette (Gus with his kiddie pyjamas lol) and Shawn using what Henry taught him and his wits so as to stay alive; some sweet moments and also some funny ones; truly a great episode.

A few nights ago it was the one where Gus's friend from the singing group was killed. I laughed when, in the flashback, Henry said that computers were just a fad like rap and LA Law - Corbin Bernsen will always be Arnie to me.

• Love 2

Romeo and Juliet and Juliet isn't one of my favorite episodes but it does have Gus's hilarious pretending-to-be-a-lawyer bit:

Clerk: Well, I will see you in court, then. Now-
Gus: Perfect. Now I need a statement from you. And as we plan to try this in both civil and criminal court, I'll need the police here as well. Can I use you phone, or do you only let the white people use that?
Clerk: Who said anything about white people?
Gus: You just did.
Clerk: The words "white people" did not come out of my mouth.
Gus: There they are again. Luckily I had my hand recorder on for that one. By the way, I am now disclosing that this conversation is being recorded.
Clerk: Recorded? Okay, this is crazy.
Gus: Crazy? You want to know crazy? I sued 300 businesses last year alone. I sued a hot dog cart and got everything but the wheels and the buns, which I won in the civil case two months later.
Shawn: Dude. I think he gets it now.
Gus: I know, but the words are coming out of my mouth faster than I can think of them.
Shawn: Bring it home.
Gus: Now, if you don't mind, before I start snapping evidence photos, I'm a little parched, so can you tell me which one of these fountains I'm allowed to use?

I will watch the whole episode just to see that scene.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, slf said:

Romeo and Juliet and Juliet isn't one of my favorite episodes but it does have Gus's hilarious pretending-to-be-a-lawyer bit:

Clerk: Well, I will see you in court, then. Now-
Gus: Perfect. Now I need a statement from you. And as we plan to try this in both civil and criminal court, I'll need the police here as well. Can I use you phone, or do you only let the white people use that?
Clerk: Who said anything about white people?
Gus: You just did.
Clerk: The words "white people" did not come out of my mouth.
Gus: There they are again. Luckily I had my hand recorder on for that one. By the way, I am now disclosing that this conversation is being recorded.
Clerk: Recorded? Okay, this is crazy.
Gus: Crazy? You want to know crazy? I sued 300 businesses last year alone. I sued a hot dog cart and got everything but the wheels and the buns, which I won in the civil case two months later.
Shawn: Dude. I think he gets it now.
Gus: I know, but the words are coming out of my mouth faster than I can think of them.
Shawn: Bring it home.
Gus: Now, if you don't mind, before I start snapping evidence photos, I'm a little parched, so can you tell me which one of these fountains I'm allowed to use?

I will watch the whole episode just to see that scene.

I love that scene! Gus is awesome!

• Love 2

I was watching the episode with Shawn's uncle Jack. At the end Harry explains that he wanted Shawn to have the fun uncle in his life. Doesn't that seem strange after he got on his father in an earlier episode for trying to get Shawn to make up stories about people when they are sitting and watching people at the beach?  If he gets mad at his dad for doing that which was more harmless then why would he even want his brother around when he knows Jack's a liar and makes up crap around Shawn? Given his reaction to arriving at Shawn's classroom in the flashback he hardly acted like someone who wanted Jack anywhere near his son or any kid. That remark at the end just makes no sense. You'd think Henry would explain why he got so mad in the past and tried to keep Shawn away from Jack. 

On 10/16/2018 at 5:02 AM, andromeda331 said:

I was watching the episode with Shawn's uncle Jack. At the end Harry explains that he wanted Shawn to have the fun uncle in his life. Doesn't that seem strange after he got on his father in an earlier episode for trying to get Shawn to make up stories about people when they are sitting and watching people at the beach?  If he gets mad at his dad for doing that which was more harmless then why would he even want his brother around when he knows Jack's a liar and makes up crap around Shawn? Given his reaction to arriving at Shawn's classroom in the flashback he hardly acted like someone who wanted Jack anywhere near his son or any kid. That remark at the end just makes no sense. You'd think Henry would explain why he got so mad in the past and tried to keep Shawn away from Jack. 

The Jack episode is just bad in general. Sorry not sorry.

• Love 1

But it does have that cute scene of Shawn and Gus with their masks from Machu Picchu!

I love the bit from the reality dating show episode, Shawn and the Real Girl, where Shawn and Gus are arguing over whether or not Gus has to give Lassie his donut:

"I don't care. I don't care!" Then he just throws it at Lassie, lol.

• Love 1