Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Who You With?

Bill C.
  • Start Topic

(edited)

No breasts were revealed in this episode.

While Tommy is making peace with Ruiz, Angela's attaching a wire to one of his gang members; and a distracted Ghost forgets Tasha's birthday. Later, Ghost and Angela contemplate the implications of their affair.

And number one on the list of Things You Shouldn't Do At Your Wife's Birthday Party: sneak out to take a call from your mistress while your wife is all but serenading you.  James, I am so over your stoic ass.

That and Shawn getting a "take what's yours, son" pep talk from Kanan aside, this was largely Tommy's episode...and it didn't suck, IMO.  The guy's still a bit of a caricature overall, but here it worked for him; in a way he's caught between James and Tasha, and while his loyalty overall is to his best friend he at least got to (try to) call him on his shit about Angela, and Tasha, and in a roundabout way the "business."  And Holly...even with her declaring herself "a fucked up thief," I'm back to wondering if my earlier theory about her being the girl who will make Tommy reconsider his ways is completely off the table.  They're both messed up, and they've admitted it, and Tommy's even lied to Tasha over it WRT the earrings Holly stole; will they move forward or will something else derail them?

As for Tasha (and a quick aside about her friend Lakeisha: she's pretty much only there to make Tasha look restrained, right down to the cleavage)...Shawn finally got her warning radar to ping about her man, if not in a specific way.  There are only two episodes left in the season, so I suspect we've got some kind of angry-black-girl rant coming up fast...

Edited by Bill C.
  • Love 1

I absolutely loved Tommy in this episode. His scene at the diner with Ghost and Angela was gold and I'm so glad that he finally voiced why it's such a bad idea to cheat on a wife who knows all about your illegal activity. If it wouldn't take Tommy down with him, I would totally be rooting for Tasha to do just that to Ghost. He is just too stupid over this Angela chick, who isn't even all that. 

I want to see what the dynamics would be like if Kenan actually got out before season's end. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Tommy owned this episode for me. It was the first time I've watched this show and actually had a reaction that wasnt one of boredom. Take that James!

So Tommy tells this bitch that James wife's bday party is the next night and what does bitch do? Call during the party! Ok, I don't care about this show, but I hope Tasha catch her ass and beat it. Then beat the shit out of James.

Sorry, but I'm all about whooping a cheater's ass.

Question. Does Jaime know what Angela does for a living?

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm confused. What does Jamie hope to accomplish with his affair with Angela? Does he think an affair is sustainable? Ok, yes - I know - these are dumb questions.

While we're on the subject of James and Angela - can they stop being so damned corny? I am waiting for the show to cut to scenes of them writing about each other in their diaries and doodling "James loves Angela" "Angela loves James." GAH.

For the first time ever, I enjoyed Tommy. When he walked into that milkshake place and started casually chatting with Jamie and Angela, that made me chuckle.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't think Holly is the type of person you trust. Period.

I'm never sure what the writers want me to feel about these characters or situations. Was I supposed to feel for Holly because Tommy didnt tell her what his real job was? Trick, you are a coke head thief. I wouldn't have told her where the kitchen was much less why I had cash.

Tommy, please expect to be robbed.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 6
(edited)

Something that just occurred to me: Tommy told Holly he was a high-level drug dealer, crew and all, rather than the lieutenant/second-in-command to one (which is for all intents still correct, but).  And the FBI surveillance recording only refers to "Ghost," nothing else, as Ruiz's mystery distributor.  I wonder if they're setting up a scenario where Tommy is believed to be Ghost for however long, leading to something blowing up in his and James's faces...?

Tommy owned this episode for me. It was the first time I've watched this show and actually had a reaction that wasnt one of boredom. Take that James!

So Tommy tells this bitch that James wife's bday party is the next night and what does bitch do? Call during the party! Ok, I don't care about this show, but I hope Tasha catch her ass and beat it. Then beat the shit out of James.

Sorry, but I'm all about whooping a cheater's ass.

The thing about that here--ironically this sort of happened in El Señor de los Cielos, which Ruiz's crew was watching in this ep--is that, IMHO, Tasha is somewhat sympathetic only by default.  Not to minimize James's cheating, which would probably be full-on starry-eyed Peaches & Herb Reunited, and it feels so good! action on any other actor, and it also goes right back to that loyalty thing, but...Tasha, girl, you're married to a criminal.  By choice.  And you're at least partially complicit in some of his illegal activities by choice.  The show's hammered into our heads that she's just fine with being a narcotraficante's lady, and even prefers it to the possibility of being with him and out of The Life, but since he's doing the one thing that hurts her and their family...she gets to play the moral high card?  I'm both looking forward to and dreading this when it all comes out.

Not specifically.  Last I knew, Angie had only told him it was a "government job."

Edited by Bill C.
(edited)

So does Shawn wear that same suit every day now since it's his only one? I hope he's at least getting it dry-cleaned regularly.

Line of the episode: "...And no coconuts 'cause I'm allergic to nuts."

Angie doesn't realize she's running a honeypot and might end up getting a break in the case due to the power of her punani. It'll serve Ghost right for being caught up in a high school fantasy and cheating on his wife. Plus, Tommy laid it out: when Tasha finds out she'll go scorched earth on all of them.

So what happened to Debbi Morgan's character? Tasha mentioned her ("Big Mama") but she hasn't been seen in several episodes. And yikes, having Tasha sing at her own birthday party may have been a shark-jumping moment. I hope this isn't eventually going lead to her and Kanan doing a duet (after he gets out of prison, of course).

He knows she's an attorney but not who she works for. The real mystery is who's going to find out whose truth first, him or her? They're both literally in bed with their arch enemy.

I know the drama of this show is shallow and the acting is so-so but IMO the production values are superb. The difference between this show and Tyler Perry's evening soap opera is like day and night. Night on another planet in another galaxy.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5
(edited)

I hope this isn't eventually going lead to her and Kanan doing a duet (after he gets out of prison, of course).

*plugs ears* La la la la. I can't hear you!

I guess they felt the need to show off Naturi Naughton's singing voice. It wasn't particularly germane to the story, and didn't really make sense in the context of the scene (it's her birthday party; shouldn't someone be hired to sing for her?) That said, I did feel bad for Tasha when Ghost just walked out while she was singing. He just grates more and more on my nerves with each passing episode. He's also giving me bad flashbacks to Ike Evans, the protagonist of the late (not at all lamented) Magic City. He thinks he's in control of his various situations, but I'm sure he's going to find out otherwise, while annoying me along the way.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

Can I say I stopped in my tracks when they called Debbie Morgan "Big Momma".

In what world would Debbie Morgan be a big momma? I've seen Big Momma's and they're usually in a house coat with ratty slippers. A pot of greens on the stove, while they rub linament on they're legs.

Debbie is nobody's Big Momma.

• Love 3

*plugs ears* La la la la. I can't hear you!

I guess they felt the need to show of Naturi Naughton's singing voice. It wasn't particularly germane to the story, and didn't really make sense in the context of the scene (it's her birthday party; shouldn't someone be hired to sing for her?) That said, I did feel bad for Tasha when Ghost just walked out while she was singing. He just grates more and more on my nerves with each passing episode. He's also giving me bad flashbacks to Ike Evans, the protagonist of the late (not at all lamented) Magic City. He thinks he's in control of his various situations, but I'm sure he's going to find out otherwise, while annoying me along the way.

Tasha singing was at least crazy-ass Lakeisha's idea (and part of the running gag about her not making it into Destiny's Child), though in retrospect I'm surprised nobody even suggested having a real singer for her party.  It's NYC; you'd think that would've been the first thing out of somebody's mouth.  At least Naturi can sing.

i'm calling it now...holly is either gonna be an undercover agent or will be the drea de matteo's "angie" to tommy's "christopher" and will have to turn tommy in.

The former would be a hell of a plot twist, provided it was explained away well enough, but I don't think the show has it in itself to pull that off.  It's far more likely that we'll get the latter: Holly will get into some trouble (assuming nobody kills her) and Tommy will deliberately or otherwise fall on his sword for her.

i'm calling it now...holly is either gonna be an undercover agent or will be the drea de matteo's "angie" to tommy's "christopher" and will have to turn tommy in.

I was thinking the same thing.  In one way or the other, this decision will royally screw him in the ass, hard.

I guess they felt the need to show of Naturi Naughton's singing voice. It wasn't particularly germane to the story, and didn't really make sense in the context of the scene (it's her birthday party; shouldn't someone be hired to sing for her?) That said, I did feel bad for Tasha when Ghost just walked out while she was singing.

I watched this online, and after the show there was a brief interview with the head writer.  She says that "Sweet Thing" was symbolic because it's a song being sung by a mistress, who's lover has to leave her for the night.  The writer thought it would be a nice juxtaposition to have the wife, who feels her husband being pulled away from her, sing the song, all while the husband is catering to the other woman, unbeknownst to her.  

And Angie, stop acting all butt-hurt because your married lover has to go home to his wife and children.  And furthermore, you broke up with your boyfriend to be with him and he has made no moves to do the same, despite the jewelry, the hotel sex, and showing up at your apartment after you told him to give you some time.  Wake up girl; he is not leaving his family for you.

I can't stand Tasha, but I can't wait for her to find out.  Jamie is an idiot to be so nonchalant about this affair, especially when his wife knows where all his skeletons, so to speak, are buried.  How about having a little bit of discretion.  

• Love 2

Okay, points to the writer for the Sweet Thing bit (Tasha thought she was losing her husband to his "mistress," the club, when he's indeed got a real one--that's rather subtle for this show).

• Love 2

Just speculation, but I think Kanan is behind "pink sneakers and the hits. Kanan is coming out and wants to be big boss again, but to do that he needs to eliminate the competion

Jamie, what can I say that everyone else has not said, I will just add that Jamie is with Angie because she does not know his skeletons.  He can pretend to be someone he is not, a financially successful night club owner with no ties to the drug world.  Jamie wants out and Angie is that symbol.  He really needs to wake up, dude you want to be in this life or you would be out already.  He kills people with no fear, I mean he killed that guy in the first episode and had no second thought.  In fact it has not been mentioned since.  

Tommy how dumb can you be, you don't just meet a girl and tell her you are a drug kingpin.  I don't trust or like Holly, not sure why.  

Can the writing get anymore predictable, I swear I call the scenes right before they happen.  I know who is knocking at doors, I know how characters are going to respond.  The writers need to tighten up their game and Omari needs to tighten up his acting.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Ha ha ha, y'all kill me as much as this whack ass show. I wanted to like Tommy, but his wigga minstrel show grates, and is not believable. Also, why is he so strung out on a girl he barely knows? He acts like this is his first girlfriend ever, and shows the maturity of a loves truck teen. And why would he tell a chick who is pissed at him his real biz in a desperate attempt to get her back, makes no sense. Why would he ever think he could trust her knowing she stole from Tasha and lied about it, WTF?

Tasha has no morals or moral leg to stand on. Yeah, Ghost is a cheater, but Tasha room it to a WNL by graphically flirting with her husband 'a nephew, gross. This is a mother, and what she is doing is so wrong and so much worse than Ghost, because she's just playing revenge games and using the nephew for her own gain . Tasha can kick rocks.

After she beats Ghost and Angela's asses, I want 50 to beat hers for messing with his son.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 2

The thing about that here--ironically this sort of happened in El Señor de los Cielos, which Ruiz's crew was watching in this ep--is that, IMHO, Tasha is somewhat sympathetic only by default.  Not to minimize James's cheating, which would probably be full-on starry-eyed Peaches & Herb Reunited, and it feels so good! action on any other actor, and it also goes right back to that loyalty thing, but...Tasha, girl, you're married to a criminal.  By choice.  And you're at least partially complicit in some of his illegal activities by choice.  The show's hammered into our heads that she's just fine with being a narcotraficante's lady, and even prefers it to the possibility of being with him and out of The Life, but since he's doing the one thing that hurts her and their family...she gets to play the moral high card?  I'm both looking forward to and dreading this when it all comes out.

Tasha goes about things in a messed up way, but I get her hurt. No one wants to feel like an after-thought.  I was glad that Tommy told Ghost off and made him look like the chump that he is with his spa gift. I don't understand the birthday forgetting. Obviously he's checked out of the marriage and he's staying out of obligation, but they've been married for I'm guessing 10 years or so, judging by their oldest, and her birthday just slips his mind? Ok.

I still can't believe that a damn near 40 year old man is tripping off a high school relationship. One thing to wonder what if, quite another to hide a huge part of your life and risk everything for a relationship that ended over 20 years ago.

I'm gonna need for Tommy to put his illegal tender in a safe, or do it old-school and hide it in the floorboards.

• Love 3

Angie was The One Who Got Away, so part of me at least understands James still being all bent out of shape over her.  That said, though, I think Easyspreestep nailed it: he's getting to show Angie just the good (I know, I know) part of his life as he sees it, pretending he's simply a guy from the block who made good (if with a stumble along the way, depending on how you interpret Angie's father calling him a drug dealer in the middle of his memory meltdown).  And Angie in turn hasn't thrown up the one red flag that likely would have stopped all this cold--just what her "government job" is.  It's just so...TV.

And by extension, discounting the seeming coincidence of the technicality that apparently will get Kanan out of prison, Pink Sneakers turning out to be his agent provocateur would probably be the most straightforward thing the show can do.  The thing that messes with that theory is that Pinky's attacked Ghost's operations as well--unless Kanan's decided the hell with everybody, which yet again goes back to loyalty.

• Love 4